Indy's anime thread

Indy13

I'll be a fellow gravedigger. :P Just noticed this too. Been hooked to anime for about 6 years now. And in Japanese culture and other stuff in general. Too bad I haven't had chance to properly learn the language, as I do find it quite fascinating. But I'd say watching all those animes and playing games have helped to form some kind of basic understanding.

And, considering Clamp, I'm not a huge fan, though I found Chobits to be quite an enjoyable series. And they did the charas for Code Geass, which was one of my faves too. I might want to try that Tsubasa if I ever get the time. Still having about 200gigs of anime waiting. :P

Click

There's my listing at AniDB, if by wonders someone's interested. ^^

promatolya: Haven't watched yet, but I'm intending to. As with so many other series. :P Anyways, too bad that's one of those series with open ending, just waiting for a second season. Which in most cases never happen...

Heck, might as well put it on dl queue. Now that someone's actually written a small description.

Edited by Stormwing

list of anime I currently watch: As in, they are coming out weekly

* Bleach

* One piece

Anime I have watched

* Claymore

* Full metal series

* Death note (Seriously , this is the bomb)

* Blood +

* Darker then black

* GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)

* Kenshin (aka Samurai X) + OMV

* Cowboy bebop

* Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan

* Devil May cry

* Air Gear

* Hellsing

* Elfen Lied

* Code Geass (recommended!)

* Hunter x Hunter

* Soul eater

* Noir

anime I started but didn't like for a variety of reasons

* Dragonball series (nothing happens. You watch for 5 episodes, 1 thing happens. Too slow imo)

* Naruto (don't know why, just didn't like)

promatolya: I gave up trying to ger on par with One piece. Seeing 400+ ep behind. I'm only seen the Captain Kuro Arc in anime. And giving my flanky wireless net, there's just no will to get all that stuff. Same reason why I don't watch anime online. Just hate the buffering...

Though I do read the manga. We're almost on par with Japanese release here in Finland. ^^

But that aside. I managed to keep in touch with Bleach. Which is the only gargantuan series on my list. Getting slightly annoyed with Orihime's constant "Kurosaki-kunnn!" weeping. Atleast we got to see some neat power-up, so that kinda makes it up.

I have some of those series you listed just waiting to be watched. I know, hoarded just too much stuff in buffer when I had the change.

For Dragonball, you haven't lost much. I gave up somewhere during the android saga and dropped the sucker. It's... just... too... damn... slow... paced... >_< But I do have the manga. Much, much better, and no annoying fillers and crap.

Also, I don't like Naruto either. Dunno why, it just never piqued my interests...

By Full Metal, I assume you meant Panic! Or am I totally wrong? If it's Panic! I really like it too. Hoping there's some continuation, as there's so much material to cover. Light novels, mangas and so on.

Full metal alchemist & Full metal panic

Alchemist being my favourite amoungst the two, because this one actually nearly made me cry at some point.

apart from when I was a child, I never cried at television, books or other types of media.

FMA got me close though ... it was intense :P

Edited by promatolya

I'm all there with you. FMA was one of my faves too. Well, still is, even more with the new Brotherhood takeover. Still, I'd say the ep 07 of the '03-'04 anime, Night of the Chimera`s Cry , was one of the most touching pieces in anime. And not to forget, Hughe's funeral.

Heh, guess there could've been awfull lot worse pieces of anime to start off. I remember original FMA was my first long series. Watched it twice in two-three months time, when I was at summer vacation. Quite a marathon, nearly 10 hours anime straight. Also, my mom gave me kinda earlful, as I was still living with parents. :P Good times.

Also, talking about emotionally charged animes, I could recommend the whole Clannad+Afterstory series. Had me crying in several occations, it was just so emotional. Nagisa's struggle and all. *tear..* ^^

Nice list guys I have watched most of the animes on them one of those that you should add to your list if you havnt seen it yet its Samurai 7. Its one of those must see in my book.

I have started watching some anime on www.hulu.com . You do get commercials (I think just American ones, not 100% sure). But use also get some new Anime. Right now I am watching The house of Five leaves on hulu and have subscribed to this title, I get a notice in my email when a new episode is available. This is a quote from the House of Five Leaves show page, "Availability Notes: We will be able to post a new House of Five Leaves episode within 8 hours after the episode airs in Japan". I also have subscribed to the title Kekkaish.

They have some old titles on there too such as Fist of the North Star, Gigantor, Robotech: Macross Saga, and the original Speed Racer to name a few.

If any of our friends who are not in the USA goes to Hulu to take a look, please let me know.

I've currently got my digital hands on the animated Monster series.

I've read the manga up until somewhere between 20 and 30, but it isn't printed here anymore. Cool stuff. I hear a lot about it being underrated, so I'm quite curious.

Anyway, with the summer stop on my favorite shows (South Park, House, Bones) I need something to watch the upcoming months :lol:

@ storm:

Yeah, Hughes funeral was very intense.

The chimera episode was pretty intense too, but I kinda saw it coming, which made is somewhat less shocking.

But Hughes funeral is really something that should get to you.

Get checked up if it doesn't!

• 2 months later...
@ storm:

Yeah, Hughes funeral was very intense.

The chimera episode was pretty intense too, but I kinda saw it coming, which made is somewhat less shocking.

But Hughes funeral is really something that should get to you.

Get checked up if it doesn't!

you're talking about hughes from FMA right? sorry, didn't feel liek backpedalling to the previous page =p

That was an intense episode. Hughes was my fav, and then he went and got himself killed ><"

on a side note, I teared a little ast that part... lol

Edited by SteveOhWtf
I've currently got my digital hands on the animated Monster series.

I've read the manga up until somewhere between 20 and 30, but it isn't printed here anymore. Cool stuff. I hear a lot about it being underrated, so I'm quite curious.

Anyway, with the summer stop on my favorite shows (South Park, House, Bones) I need something to watch the upcoming months :drool:

I just started watching Monster too. I found it was available to watch on www.hulu.com . Naruto Shippuden is also on Hulu, and they justa new title Beck it's about two misfits who start a band and set out to save rock and roll.

• 3 months later...

Though I have a list of anime, I haven't been following much anime for a while. The only one I'm keeping tabs on is Gundam Unicorn, and that's mainly because of the pretty mechs, plus the fact that it's months between episodes. :P The last two series I followed was Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier, the latter due to its music, the former, I'm not sure other than it's 'Gundam'. Real life takes priority, so I get picky with what I watch. :P

Aegis: That's the main reason to neglect checking anime for me too. When RL becons you must answer. :P

For some recommendations I could add Highschool of The Dead. A no-brainer zombie splatter with heaps of fanservice and twisted humour. Also, rewatched Tokko with my new audio gear and gotta say, liked it more over this time. Another no-brainer with serious monster-slashing. Too bad it ends quite abruptly. There's only three books of manga, so no hope for second season...

For some quality 4-koma adaptions, I'd recommend Seitokai Yakuindomo. Just so full of wakcy stuff. Good to be used as "snacks", seeing it's quite episodic.

After all the years, an anime I would absolutely still recommend to watch would be Read or Die OVA. James Bond with a nerdy girl combined with books combined with paper power. Complete with historical figures with super powers. Seriously, paper power has never been so much fun. >=3 The TV series is also decent though aside from one episode, you do have to get through the first ten or twelve episodes before the series really takes off. Then it becomes cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger. @_@

And since music was mentioned in there,

is one of my favorite ED themes, and definitely my favorite Gundam theme ever. :P
  • 2 months later...

Ah, yes, Gundam 00. I agree that Gundam 00 has some very nice themes. I'm not as crazy about SEED and SEED Destiny, though aside from TM Revolution and See Saw, I also happen to like High and Mighty Color with the themes, Pride, and Enrai ~Tooku Ni Aru Akari~. I also liked Ichirin no Hana for Bleach. :)

When it comes to music in anime, it is generally gonna be Yoko Kanno stuff I will cling to, or Macross music. And when the two come together, you get themes like Diamond Crevasse, the always classic Ai Oboete Imasu ka,

, or Voices. :D

Never really got into any Gundam stuff. Though I must say I like those OP-songs and such. High and Mighty Color, TM, etc.

Also, gotta agree with Aegis for the Kanno music. She's simply a genious. Mostly liking her stuff for GiTS and Cowboy Bebop.

• 2 years later...

Huh... about three years since this thread seen life. Well, having seen some clips of the series, as well as listened to some of its music, I am sorely tempted to give Kill la Kill a shot. It is a series made from former staff of Gainax who were also the ones behind Gurren Lagann, so the art style and the wackiness are very similar.

• Like! 1

Huh... about three years since this thread seen life. Well, having seen some clips of the series, as well as listened to some of its music, I am sorely tempted to give Kill la Kill a shot. It is a series made from former staff of Gainax who were also the ones behind Gurren Lagann, so the art style and the wackiness are very similar.

Do it! If the style is for you that is ;) I've been watching since it aired, and it's one of the best animes of the season IMO. They always take such a unique spin and parody other shows and Japanese culture, absolutely love it :D

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, the only thing that has kept me from watching Kill la Kill is the fact that I would have to play some catch up after 18 episodes. If I was ten years younger, that wouldn't be an issue. Now, I'm busier, so catching up would be harder. But seeing an epic backstab followed by an epic beat down followed by another mom-daughter touching *ahem* moment followed by an epic heart ripping... plus Blumenkranz played in the background... GAH!

• 6 months later...

Heya,

Newcomer here. Hi!

I really enjoyed reading over this thread but I have to say I was a bit shocked to not see one of my all time favorite animes mentioned already which is Serial Experiments Lain.

It's awesome, especially because it deals with the idea of a weirdly ambiguous connection between the real world and the internet ('the Wired').

It's a head trip though so it might not be everyone's cup of tea but that's probably what I love most about it. It's very surreal , leaving a lot up for interpretation but it would always stick in my head for days after I'd watch it and I'd ultimately end up arriving to a new epiphany about it and I'd have to talk about it some more with the friends I watched it with.

IMO, it's a very different yet special anime. :)

• 4 years later...

*topicus resurrectum!

Just finished Elfen Lied. I was very curious, but ended up not that impressed. In short review: The unnecessesary nudity does not really serve any function whatsoever, and the story could have been much deeper than it ended up to be. 

Next up on my list are Ao no exorcist, Kill la kill and Akame ga kill. Will update when I finish those!

Edited by Timotheus
title fix

Never saw the anime, but I did read the manga version of Elfen Lied.  I do know for a fact that the two are fairly different from each other, with the manga version taking a more darker tone from what I recalled.  I also believe the anime version has cut out some parts, though don't quote me on that one.  That said, I don't know how I feel about Elfen Lied.  There were moments I liked, as well as characters that ended up growing on me.  On the other hand, I was 'meh' in the end after reading it, and I can't explain why.

Also, it's been a couple of years and though I've seen some episodes, I still never got around to finishing Kill la Kill.  For what it was, I did like what I've seen of the series.  I should also not be too surprised that a fighting game for the series is being made. :P

Then there was Dragon Ball Super...  I was not a big fan of DBGT and was hoping for a 'true' continuation of DB/DBZ.  DBS, however, was not what I hoped.  It was pretty dull, partially because it began as a retread of the two DBZ films, then when it finally did something original, everything but one arc was just dull.

And that should be it for now...

• 2 months later...

Well my first update then. Finally got around to finishing the first season of Ao no Exorcist. Aaand I'm feeling confused, I have no idea whether I liked it. I'm probably not going to watch the second season since it negates s1 after episode 15 or so and seems to forks off in a different arc. The story isn't really deep or new, the combat system used is... gimmicky at best I would say. Not particularly well-explained, as more of this anime is, so it's a bit 'meh': nice short series (looking at you Naruto!) with OK characters but nothing really special. And I've done the whole religion/demon thing with Hellsing and Hellsing: Ultimate, which lends itself for a whole lot more action than there is in Ao no Exorcist.  

• Like! 1