Indy's anime thread

Indy13

And back with a few more. Netflix has fueled my anime watching lately. 

Angel Beats: loved it for the music. Story is quite interesting. 

Baki: Just a whole lotta brawling. Mindless fun but I didn't bother with the second season.

Berserk: pretty cool stuff. Not 100% my thing.

Castlevania: loved it. But I do have a soft spot for vampires/demons. 

Deadman Wonderland: definitely deserves more episodes. Think I'll need to go find me the manga.

My neighbour Totoro: a classic and with good reason. Lovely movie.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya: the art is mindblowing but the story is not my cup of tea. 

Ultramarine Magmell: interesting story about an island where the flora and fauna are developing differently. 

I think that's it for now :wink:

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm in for CastleVania twice over...  what an odd battle that was when they attacked the castle of the super powerful wizard and he looked a classic blue beard pirate!

;4rofl:

Also... I'm here to state...that I've kind started watching a weird anime called Parasyte The Maxim? Its kind of repugnant but fascinating... also ultra violent.. lol is that the norm 

Really love the parasytes voice

And the animation style... those teeth.. also kind of makes me think of Titans...that anime where those giants ran round eating everyone behind walls :eek: 

:blink:

gogo

I want to add Blood Reign to the list. Good Ninja anime from the late 80ies. Guess it was the time before things became weird. Despite Tentacles appear now and then, they do not do what Tentacles do nowadays in japanese animes. English dubbed version, but there is also a japanese dubbed version with us subtiltes on youtube.

33 minutes ago, Dax said:

I want to add Blood Reign to the list. Good Ninja anime from the late 80ies. Guess it was the time before things became weird. Despite Tentacles appear now and then, they do not do what Tentacles do nowadays in japanese animes. 

lol! I actually get this!!

😂😈😈

gogo

• 3 months later...

Just updating my post in March: 
- I've finished watching Baki (netflix)
- Finished Zombie Loan
- Finished Wangan Midnight
- Haven't watched the new Castlevania (netflix) season yet
- Currently about halfway through Neon Genesis Evangelion (netflix)

:neo:

Edited by Timotheus
update with imdb links
  • Like! 1
3 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Just updating my post in March: 

- Haven't watched the new Castlevania season yet

:neo:

Its IMMENENSELY cruel and violent...  I dont get a chance to watch so much Anime...  tell me it doesn't get more violent than this?

:lol:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this today... an absolute masterpiece recreation of an iconic scene from One Punch Man (sorry about garbage after 3:40 mark.  I guess the original got taken down so it's all re-uploads.

LOVE THIS!!

I cant believe this came out of a non-marvel movie house...I guess with good timing and and eye for what counts masterpieces like this can be made... man... the sheer scale of One Punch Man's superior epicness always floors me.. good job to this team!

:superman:

gogo

2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Finished S1 of Dorohedoro (netflix) today. I enjoyed it.
It's quite violent and dark, but it's an interesting story revolving around magic, sorcerers and how they oppress/experiment on regular folk. 

this sounds so tragedy

I saw the imdb link, and that one line description was chilling ... will look it up on Netflix

and..found it!

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=dorohedor&jbv=80991903

:)

gogo

4 hours ago, Timotheus said:

It's quite violent and dark, but it's an interesting story revolving around magic, sorcerers and how they oppress/experiment on regular folk. 

Sounds like exactly my kind of show.  I'll have to check it out!

==================

I'm currently trying out a "machete order" of Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009), since both are on Netflix.  The two anime partly cover the same ground before splitting off into their own separate story lines.  IMO for the parts that they share, the original does better.  But once they split off, Brotherhood is superior.  So I'm attempting to get the best of both worlds, combining parts of both series to get a "complete" picture.

fullmetalalchemistbrotherhood-group-pict

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

But in the alternate ending it's implied that the rest of humanity should be able to reform themselves out of the LCL as well, as long as their will to live and their wish for individuality is strong enough IIRC...

The plot really is quite out-there yeah :P

1 hour ago, Flix said:

....It's played on one hand as sort a horrific act perpetrated by a shady organization ....

Read: the first 24 episodes.

1 hour ago, Flix said:

....but at the same time it's shown as a kind of a beautiful relief because all the walls everyone has keeping them isolated and lonely come down completely, to experience total acceptance.

And there we have the last two. 

:3lmao:

Brilliant summary of the main contradiction within the show, really.

• Like! 1
  • 3 months later...

Some pantless dude told me to check this one out again, so here goes:

Looks like it hasn't really been covered yet, so I'll go a bit into movies that might not be usually mentioned, despite being really good.

The Garden of Words (言の葉の庭), by Shinkai Makoto (famous for Your Name, previously highest grossing anime movie). This movie has one of the most stunning visual representations of Tokyo. It has a relaxing pace, while focusing on deep emotional concepts. It keeps a perfect amount of delving into mundane life, without ever losing the viewer's interest. If you ever wished to spend a pleasant rainy day in this is it. Short, relaxing, pleasing, impactful. Topics are a bit mature, but you could watch it with kids if you wanted to.

Paprika (パプリカ), by Kon Satoshi (previously one of Japan's most promising animators, who sadly died early of cancer). Easiest way to describe it is "if Inception was an anime". There are lots of theories that Inception was inspired from this movie, and watching it you can see lots of similarities. The movie is colorful, full of action and with a powerful soundtrack by Hirasawa Susumu. The imagination runs wilder when compared to Inception, as animation allows more creative freedom. Has some minor undressed scenes, but not sexual. Safe to watch with kids if you consider that okay.

Grave of the Fireflies (火垂るの墓), by Studio Ghibli (most famous anime studio in Japan). Ghibli is well known for it's feel-good anime and it's not surprising that this is one of the less promoted works of theirs. This is one of the saddest movies ever made, but also one of the greatest. The movie focuses on the effect that war has on the average civilian population. I consider this to be the best anime I have ever seen, and the only anime that I can't watch for a second time. Do not watch this if you are in a rough period of your life, it will frak you up. Even if you are in a good state of mind, be aware that it might affect you for a few days after you finish it. Do not watch with kids, unless you want to make them cry.

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc (ベルセルク 黄金時代篇), based on Miura Kentaro's manga. Berserk is an unfinished long-running manga, with a really slow-paced release rate. It is well knowns for its graphical violence and undressed, and despite its popularity, lack of decent anime adaptation. The Golden Age Arc is actually a series of 3 movies, that covers the most impactful part of the story. It is a faithful adaptation with the only bad part being questionable use of CGI. The first two movies are a bit more tame due to the story, but the third one takes everything up to 11, so be aware. All movies are M rated.

Edited by Indy13
  • Respect! 1
7 hours ago, Indy13 said:

The Golden Age Arc is actually a series of 3 movies, that covers the most impactful part of the story. It is a faithful adaptation with the only bad part being questionable use of CGI.

CGI was not great, but I feel the main flaw is just how much story was cut.  I'd recommend the original 90's anime over these movies. The animation quality is lower budget but it contains much more content, and better pacing.  The anime is 10 hours long, while the 3 movies that cover the same arc are just under 5 hours total. That means half the story was cut, and it wasn't filler. Entire subplots were cut as well as the main character backstories that gave their later decisions most of their weight.  Loads of dialogue and characters explaining their motivations and feelings were also removed from the movies in favor of keeping it more action oriented.

I remember Paprika. I rented it years ago on a whim and was blown away by the mind-bending visuals and altered realities.

• Like! 1
  • 9 months later...

By far the biggest two anime discoveries in the past year have been: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Demon Slayer.

Demon Slayer is a very emotional, extremely well-animated show.  I've never seen scenes animated with such beauty and complexity.  The show itself follows one boy who starts as a simple charcoal dealer and ends up training to become a demon slayer.  His story covers years of grueling battles and training, during which his skills slowly increase.  He also builds relationships along the way with other slayers.  This show is full of goosebumps.

JoJo's is completely nuts.  It begins in Victorian England, where two brothers follow very different paths, one as a warrior of light and the other of dark vampiric magic.  Each season then follows a new generation of the Joestar family, as the struggle continues on through the ages.  It is completely over the top and cheesy in all the best ways, has very weird and comical scenarios, great fight scenes, and is overall very entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

The first episode of JoJo gave me such a weird and boring vibe, I never got past it. My wife's sister mentioned she loved it though. And Demon Slayer was very, very cool. Loved it! As for me, I'm currently stuck on a few animes on my watchlist with Netflix. Seraph's End has caught my attention, as did High Rise Invasion. Still, I haven't seen an episode yet...

Oh and somewhere last year I started and stopped watching The Seven Deadly Sins. It was a pretty OK show, it just stopped catching my attention enough to continue after the first season. 

I recommend to watch the Animatrix series. Great addition to the first part of the Matrix series.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL75iSW76AqFmZgkYFEpKmPa1KsFmyRBXi