Two handed staff bug?

So finally figured to give this game a proper go (didnt have the hardware when released, and had a hell of a backlog). so far I am liking it, though I find nearly as many annoyances as things to enjoy.

but anyway, I decided to do up a typical caster with two handed staffs (not interested in min maxing, I want two handed staff for this toon). and ever since I found my first long staff I have found that I can be hit from very far away while using it. not quite half a screen away, but easily about four times as far as melee should be. is this a known bug? I couldnt find any info after a few searches. if it isnt known, how might I have caused it, and what might I do to fix it. no mods.

• Like! 1

I was just gonna edit my post to add this question, but that does not seem to be an option here. what are those yellow and orange circles that occasionally swirl around character and mob heads?

You're probably being hit by rangers. That's my best guess.

The circles around the mobs indicate their danger level in comparison to your level, the higher the level the darker the colour (yellow, orange, red, purple). If it's an effect around the mobs then it's usually a buff.

34 minutes ago, Duthos said:

I was just gonna edit my post to add this question, but that does not seem to be an option here. what are those yellow and orange circles that occasionally swirl around character and mob heads?

It's the graphic for the Weaken effect.  It is the secondary effect from inflicting any kind of magic damage. It will also show when debuffing opponent attributes.

image.png.60ca8c8b3e09dda29bbb1ffa5f84a7b2.png

welp, still no clue on what the issue was, but I seem to have fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling the community patch.

however, I seem to have given myself a new bug. I read in the CM notes that the 'start island' portal was enabled, and this intrigued me since I had never been there. so I fired up a lan multi to get the portal activated... and I seem to messed up my quests. for one, several quests I had accepted are now removed from my log. and, more annoyingly, 'hunting fever' has been added to it. which will start a timer as soon as I accept any other quest, leading to an unavoidable failure. considering I am in sloeford, I am far far away from the point I should have that quest. is there any fix for this, or do I just have to accept that quest on this diff is bunk.

Take your character back to SinglePlayer now.

Quest progress for singleplayer characters doesn't get loaded or saved when they're taken into Multiplayer games.

Your quest progress should still be there when you go back to SinglePlayer.

Hmm.  The message I would expect to see when moving a singleplayer in to mutlitplayer is something like "Your character's quest progress and the server's quests are incompatible.  Your quest progress will not be saved."  That lets you know that your singleplayer quests will be preserved and waiting for you when you go back to singleplayer.

However I've only ever tried this with the default mode, and I believe that's Campaign, not Free Play.  It could be that Free Play just wipes quests.

aight, thanks for the help. I looked on the wiki, and it is just a two quest chain. I can deal missing it on silver. I'll just not do any more mode hopping without making backups first.

1 hour ago, Flix said:

However I've only ever tried this with the default mode, and I believe that's Campaign, not Free Play.  It could be that Free Play just wipes quests.

It doesn't. I've done extensive Guardian runs with a SP char in Free Play and never had any issues. My guess is that something went wrong during the installation/re-installation of either the game, the patch or both. Maybe a clean install is in order.

As for that "bug", still no idea on what it could be. If you could take some pics or make a video of it happening it'd be better for us to understand it.

When Ascaron still existed I posted a possible bug causing a Krebsgang (crabwalk) caused by probably a wrong sign in a coordinate calculation. When not in strike distance for a melee weapon the character tried to move towards the enemy. But sometime he walked sidewards by 90degrees. I called this crabwalk.

Instead walking to the relative coodinate (x,y) he walked to (-x,y) which is walking 90degrees to the side. However when reaching this point, even when it was very much away from the enemy, the attack was done as standing close and you could hit from half a screen away. Was never really fixed.

I am not knowing anymore if monsters had this behaviour too.

You said magic staves. They were changed a bit in several patches. In original they were melee weapons. Then was a patch allowing to shoot with them having the skill. For some melee combat arts this was strange because they did melee attacks with the range of shooting staves. Whole screen could be wiped with a staff dryad. With one of the CM-patches you didn't need the magic staff skill anymore to do staff shooting but the dryad staff bug was removed.

If it is only at staves the Krebsgang can't be the reason. It may be something strange with strike distance when a staff wielder is involved or an enemy with reflection (but it was a wolf and not a turtle?)

• Like! 1

I agree that it's probably something to do with attack range, and mage staff range was changed several times during CM 1.60 development. That's why I recommended a clean install to remove any possible mixed files. Plus it's best to get the patch from here as a secondary source could be out of date since more than one version exists.

My two cents.