Sacred Guide: X-bow gladiator

Thanks to underworlds new changes, now all the character types that can use bows can use them whit Combat Arts.

Overall this build is really fun and powerfull. First levels maybe bit hard and even boring for some time, but when you get your regen times low and a good x-bow, things are starting to happen.

Skills:

Weapon lore - much as you can put

Concentration - Only when you need to lower your regen times like in the beginning. Around 20-40 max anyways.

Ranged combat - 10 points, that's it..

Constitution - Around half of your level or more if got spare points to use

Agility - 1/2 or 1/3 of your level

Armor - 1/3 of your level

Parry - 1/3 or 1/4 of your level

Trading - Maxed

Weapon:

Full egill's set: rings socketed to the bow or not, makes no difference as you still get the most important bonus: Projectiles Pass Through Enemy's Body :)

Combat Arts: Multi-hit, Heroic Courage (opinional), Dagger stare (opinional)

You can read tons of MH runes whitout seen any difference on regen time if you got enought Regen special move on your gear. It's better to keep it around 0,5s or lower so you can blast it over and over again whitout any waiting time.

HC is not needed really, you gain so much AR bonus from MH and nobody can even get near to you so won't need DR so much. But it's usefull on lower levels and when you get yourself into real trouble.

Dagger stare is just to have fun and do some extra damage on foes. Also it brings everything in range so you can blast them away.

Usefull mods: Far sight is great as you can see foes on minimap before you see them on the screen. Critical hit is allways good. Some split is good too, but you get it from the weapon set so it's not needed more than that. Regen Special Move is needed to keep Mh regen low. Magic find is usefull if you wanna make a item finder too.

Playstyle: When you get your MH high level enought (4-5 arrows), you can start doing this: run around and look from mini map where you can see a mob. Use Forced fire and shoot into that direction, some arrows automaticly hits to your targets even before you can see them on screen. Also you can run around and kill several single foes just by shooting one of them, other arrows will go to other foes that are somewhere around.

Some usefull items for this build: Lonidras belt for MH bonus, three sockets, strenght boost. Parts of Dalmars set.. bracers for strenght based damage and MF, boots for MF, maybe armor for strenght based damage and whit three items you get Recognize enemy bonus.

Lorgars set.. armor for charisma based poison damage, rsm, +ds, Amulet and Claws for charisma based poison damage.

Raanes set... Helmet for LL, + to all CA, +weap lore etc, Greaves for MF, Belt for experience, +const, +rsm (still not as good as lonidras)

Andiells set.. Belt for Rsm, +conc, +DS, Bracers for Crit and LL

Dragonslayer set.. Helmet for Strenght based dmg, +strenght, Bracers for Strenght and mental regen based damage.

This build in action: When you reach a certain point, you'll be doing so much damage that you'll do great anywhere you like. You can kill mobs of foes before you can even see them on the screen.

Hmm.. if I forgot something important, please leave a comment.

Hey there Obsession. :)

Very nice build and thanx! I've never played a ranged combat character so this will prove to be yet another great reference. I HAVE however recently begun a Dwarf and I chose ranged combat for him. Do you think this information you've provided could be adabted and applied to my gun dwarf?

And also... If I have a trader for the various difficulties and would like not to take trading then what would you suggest instead of trading in this build of yours?

Cheers!

Do you think this information you've provided could be adabted and applied to my gun dwarf?

Why not, it anyways same CA whit guns. But dwarf has Dwarven Steel which is really cool as you don't need to max it to have huge effect in damage.

And also... If I have a trader for the various difficulties and would like not to take trading then what would you suggest instead of trading in this build of yours?

Any denfensive skill is usefull, but if you don't have any use for one skill, don't take it. More points to spend on other skills. On my glad, I couldn't think of any other skill that could be even in theory any use for me, but for a dwarf.. maybe forge lore?

Ob, first class job dude!

And, now the secrets revealed of the Glad/Sharpshooter/Assassin!

Question.

Could we make this happen fer a seraphim?

I mean, if she had a wicked Attack CA and then yer Glad/Cross bow build on top of that...could it work too?

Also, is this glad you built with this cross bow capable of takin really high end beats, like in vot or even hells ridge?

I would think that when building out a ranged dude, you'd have to compromise something somewhere, no?

Was it Def?

Maybe something else?

In either case, hurry up and come play on the servers again.

Last night playin with your build was awesome, but I was able to come away with only one pic when we went against the Shaddar:

assassinglad.jpg

Also the inclusion of far sight is nicely done. I first saw how useful that was with sil using it to shoo monsters towards me.

And now that I'm playing a Succubus Tentaculus, there is never enough DS for me in the world.

In the pic, you can see all the directions that your arrows are flying off in at the same time. Great fer taking down multiple baddies coming for you at different angles.

:)

gogo

Could we make this happen fer a seraphim?

I mean, if she had a wicked Attack CA and then yer Glad/Cross bow build on top of that...could it work too?

Just wait till I write my Ranged seraphim hybrid Guide. She is using Ettols bow, whit Attack CA and Rbol for splitters etc. Not dealing as much damage, but still really good build, I could even say bit better than my sword or DW using hybrids has been as she can go on where ever she likes on ancaria and underworld.

Also, is this glad you built with this cross bow capable of takin really high end beats, like in vot or even hells ridge?

Yes, it's a gladiator after all. All defensive skills you can get are selected.

I would think that when building out a ranged dude, you'd have to compromise something somewhere, no?

Was it Def?

Maybe something else?

Nope, it's fully functional glad even if I took that Crosbow away. He would crush just as good whit 2h axe than whit those arrows. That's not possible to do on other ranged toons.

If you can use these same principles for a seraphim I'll be quite impressed Ob. I rembmere that when UW came out I was ecstatic for the idea of manifesting huge hard hit damage at a distance and with multiple targets. Something that a seraphim just couldn't do. Her ability to get big amounts of ranged damage was so limited unless she combat jumped her way there.

Speaking of which, is there still room on the CA list for this glad to also do a jump?

:4rofl:

gogo

Speaking of which, is there still room on the CA list for this glad to also do a jump?

Sure, when wearing Andiells boots, it could be really usefull if you want to jump around too.

This Dude kicks Ass.

I've choosen to use a (nearly) full Set called Lorgar's Healer or something. You know, that One with lots of Charisma+ and Poison Damage +xx% Charisma. Got looots of Amuletts of this Set :)

There's nothing, that could stop him. No Enemy survives that Gladiator's furious Arrow Storms.

I love it :eek::D

Lorgars amulet :eek: You are really lucky if you got many of them. Only seen one on underworld. Good choice for set as it has nice poison boost and it looks cool too.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday gave my X-bow glad full ettols bow.. and guess what happened *drum roll*, it doubled the damage my glad does.. :drunkards: Like my X-bow does somewhere around 20-100k depending crit etc, but ettol does over 45k allways :crazy: whit critical it went over 120k per arrow in hell ridge on gold :bomb:

Even it's bit slower than Egills (which is bit odd as it's other way around whit Wood-elf), but glad does so much phys damage that ettols reduced foe phys resistance will make it really a killer in hands of my glad.

I'll see if I can make some small video to show the difference in damage.

Edited by Obsession

double damgage?

From jsut switching to a bow?

lol, I wanna be able to use a bow too :crazy:

I like the way that the resistances are playing in your favor on this build.

Looking forward to the video, OB

And regarding those ammies, you won't believe what happenned. I was playing with Jesper a few nights ago and he was giving me some of his DS ( yeah yeah I'm a DS Junkie whatever :bomb:) and...

Bango, within five minutes TWO of those lorgars ammies fell.

Woo Hoo!

We split em as damage pay and yu guys are right...they are AMAZING trinkets

:drunkards:

gogo

well here it is.. I hope the link works like I understand it would work

anyways, first 30s it's using full ettols and second part 30s it's using full egills in Gold hell's ridge whit 2players + my glad. Oh, and that track is my own remix of one trance sites theme song.. so there is no copyright problems afaik

edit: ok, it seems that I'm way too dump to link my video here like others has done so I'll just give this direct link

enjoy

thanks gogo for editing the video on the first post. Too bad my comp slows down too much and I'm only using demo version of fraps and using movie maker to edit the movie + youtube's bad quality is shown on the video, but I hope it makes any sense lol.

Edited by gogoblender

Wow that's a solid build. And the attack speed does not seem to be a problem at all. :D

Glad has turned me off as a melee only character, but you proved that its not the case anymore. Excellent. :4rofl:

Oh does x-bow work with attack then?

Excellent Video and I like the music too :4rofl:

Yes, it's interesting how adding crossbow to the glad turns it into a basicaly melee toon with "reach"

In effect, it mimics the abilities of a caster.

Fads does this too and this greater "reach" has actually gotten me thinking that ultimately this toon could be the powerfhouse of the game.

Huge defense, resistances AND...reach

^^

:D

gogo

Yay, really nice Video. Well done :superman:

Did you already tryout the Sakkara Pool with full Egill?

It's brutally fast done :lol:

My Glad does a normal Multi Hit Damage of around 180k-320k. And a Crit Hit is too freaky ^^

This Glad is now my Favourite Gladiator :)

Haven't been there yet. Other projects are taking playtime away from this one. I'm not really suprised that it is your favourite one.. it's just so deadly and fun to play.

• 1 year later...

I have been playing this Gladiator ever since Obsession 1st posted it. This in SP. Took it into Niobium at level 103 and it had no trouble surviving. Only problem was that all the drops were level 140 or higher and useless to me. Now at level 139 on my 2nd time thru Platinum rasing it highe nough to use all that beutiful gear that is dropped in Niobium. With .02 regeneration, there is so much killing going on I sometimes do encounter lagging problems. But nothing stops this killing machine. Took Stomping Jump as a 2nd CA, just adding whenever a rune dropped, and with gear it is level 43, which in its own right is a pretty good stunner and killer.

Many thanks Obsession for all the great hours of play you provided with this particular character. I have turned this one into a permanent project, trying to give it a couple of hours a day. For those of you who don't play SP, once you get over level 100 it is a very slow grind between levels.

Have actually taken this idea back into Diablo LOD and am building every LOD character with a crossbow. Working very well so far. This may be a universal idea that works on all games>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ob...

If the ettol yielded much more dmg.

Maybe switching from Lorgar's to Dalmar's Masterfull could be a wise choice? or atleast a test of it's true potential.

Ob...

If the ettol yielded much more dmg.

Maybe switching from Lorgar's to Dalmar's Masterfull could be a wise choice? or atleast a test of it's true potential.

It's a one way of doing it. Dalmar's add nice physic damage, but overall my style has allways been using bit of everything together and somehow got stuck whit lorgars. If I remember right, I had allmost full dalmars on my chest, at one point but never used it. Somehow I like other sets more as they give better mods (better criticals, RSM, magic find etc..) but in theory full dalmars whit ettol could deal even more than full lorgars, but I doubt more than my current gear.