Trying to find a Sacred 2 .gr2 Importer/Exporter for Blender

Lindor

Hello:bye:

As you might already know from MODIFYING COMBAT ARTS AND UNDERSTANDING FLAGS - SPELLS.TXT, I'm working on an inquisitor mod. Currently I'm working on modding a shapeshift CA like DM dragon berserk. I already found out about how entry0 = {"et_self_shapeshift", 1000, 1995, 0, 41 } works and where to look in creatures.txt and itemtype.txt, e.g. for the mentioned dragon berserk, it says in itemtype.txt

-- 3d model + animation info
    model0Data = {
      name         = "models/npc/monsters/draconian/h_draconian.GR2",
      user         = "WEARGROUP_INVALID",
    },

now I don't have access to 3DSmax, my idea was instead to take a .grn model from Sacred 1 and convert it to .gr2, so that's what I did - to the all mighty Anducar demon himself. Then I placed the converted file into pak/Anducar, redirected the path in above "models/npc/monsters/draconian/h_draconian.GR2" to Anducar/ANDUCAR_DEMON.gr2, loaded the Dragon mage and - my game crashed and the test character got corrupted. So I wonder is it even possible to do it that way? And if yes, can you help me to dew it? Pls, any help would be greatly appreciated:sweating:

Edited by Lindor

Ok I experimented a little bit more;

The whole itemtype variable for dragon berserk in itemtype.txt looks like this:

newItemType = {
    -- standard info
    renderfamily = "RENDERFAM_CREATURE",
    renderprio   = 0,
    family       = "FAMILY_CREATURE",
    subfamily    = "SUBFAM_LIFE_DRAGON",
    classification = "CLF_DEFAULT",
    flags        = "FLAG_HASPREVIEWIMAGE",
    weargroup    = "WEARGROUP_INVALID",
    model0Data = {
      name         = "models/npc/monsters/draconian/h_draconian.GR2",
      user         = "WEARGROUP_INVALID",
    },
    -- logic bounding box
  logicBox = {
    minx=-34.466, miny=-56.174, minz=-0.641, 
    maxx=29.876, maxy=38.901, maxz=94.403, 
    },
    dangerclass   = 0,
}
mgr.typeCreate(12484, newItemType);

now at least I got the model to load in :JC_hurrah:by changing the renderfamily from renderfamily = "RENDERFAM_CREATURE" to renderfamily = "RENDERFAM_STATIC". I'm guessing it's the animations then which cause the problem? I also extracted the animations for the demon from Sacred 1 but I don't know where to import them.

As far as I know any ingame thing consists of a skeleton, a model and a texture. Now the model is stored in itemtype.txt, I don't know yet where the other two are stored. For the texture it's definitely not itemtype.txt but for the skeleton (which I think is the key to the animations) I'm guessing either the classification or the subfamily in the itemtype.txt could determines what animations are used, but if that's true then I've got no idea how to make a new classification/subfamily. Can someone help me with this pls?:)

Hello again:cool:

I was able to make some progress on my own although I don't think that I can reach my goal without help. I think that I understand how the animations are loaded now. My guess is that the game automatically loads the animations for a model if they're in the same folder as the model and named correctly. Is that correct?

Now if so it should have been easy to import the animations into the game, just place them in the same folder, rename them and specify length, attack events and footprint events in the animation.txt file. So that's what I did and - the game crashed as soon as it tried to load the idle animation for Anducar. So there needs to be another difference other than .grn/.gr2 format between the Sacred 1 and Sacred 2 animations.

Now one thing I noticed is that I'm able to load the Sacred1 .grn files in grannyviewer but for any Sacred2 .gr2 files it says it failed the crc check.  I know how a crc check works and my guess is that the Sacred2 .gr2 files are somehow compressed or encrypted so that the generator polynomial is altered. This means I'd need a tool that compresses/encrypts the Sacred1 files the same way so that the game knows how to handle them. Or I can dew it manually with a hex editor but first I need to know what they did to the files.

But here's the thing: the model for Anducar also wasn't compressed/encrypted but Sacred2 was able to load the model in and it worked just fine. So if that isn't the problem, what's the problem then? I try to look at what @Flix did in S2EE to import the daemon for his inquisitor companion, but so far I don't understand what I did different. By the way this mod was the whole reason why I thought the whole extracting from S1 and importing in Sacred 2 thing should work, but I'm not so sure anymore.

EDIT:

I found a xentax thread where somebody explained where the crc is in a .gr2 file: https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=7705

Now for the inquisitors model the first couple of bytes look like this:

Spoiler

29 DE 6C C0 BA A4 53 2B 25 F5 B7 A5 F6 66 E2 EE

C8 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

07 00 00 00 B0 3C 03 00 70 BB 08 7C

Now if the thread's correct 70 BB 08 7C is the crc. I took the standard ethernet generator polynomial (100000100110000010001110110110111) and tried to work our the remainder in hexadecimal. I got f1ca586. So I altered the file  the following:

Spoiler

29 DE 6C C0 BA A4 53 2B 25 F5 B7 A5 F6 66 E2 EE

C8 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

07 00 00 00 B0 3C 03 00 0F 1C A5 86

And tried to open the altered file with grannyviewer. Didn't work. Now either I miscalculated, the information on the thread was wrong or GrannyViewer uses a different generator polynomial. Therefore may I ask wether somebody knows the crcs grannyviewer accepts and tell me? I really need some help here.:sweating:

Edited by Lindor

Man I'm getting really frustrated right now. nothing I try seems to work or even give small results. Neither the original Sacred 1 animations for the demon nor some borrowed ones from any Sacred 2 model work, either of those just result in game crashes. Damn, I can't even load the Sacred 2 models in grannyviewer. At this point I'm thinking @Flix didn't extract the model from Sacred 1 and just built his own. I think I'm gonna give up now.

Try some basic troubleshooting.  Take shapeshifting out of the mix.  See if you can just summon your new creation, or better yet, cause it to spawn in the game world as an enemy.

I also need to ask, what player character are you trying to have shapeshift?  It's only going to work for the Dragon Mage.

I was trying to get it for the inquisitor although I tested it only with dm so far. Good to know that it was pointless from the beginning.

I'll try your suggestion in a couple minutes, thanks for the reply <3

You are trying to run before you walk.  I recommend creating new entries for the creature.  Look at how I did the werewolf/werebear forms in Diablo 2 Fallen.

• Model in gr2 format. Mine are adapted to use existing animations, I.e., the werewolf has all the same bones as the Dragon Berserk so he can use the same animations.  No need to add separate animation files and animation entries.  Just append the model's filename with an "@" symbol and then a suffix, and place it in the same subfolder as the original model.  This is the case for every new creature I've added in my mods - they are always adapted to conform to an existing Sacred 2 model.
  • New itemtype.txt entry - this adds the model.
  • New creatureinfo.txt entry. Every itemtype that is a creature must have a creatureinfo entry.
  • New surface.txt entries - these add the textures.  Name the surface entries after whatever material(s) are assigned to the model.
  • New creatures.txt entry.
  • Finally use the creature ID as the value in the shapeshifting spell token for either of the two shapeshifting CA's in spells.txt

On 10/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, Lindor said:

changing the renderfamily from renderfamily = "RENDERFAM_CREATURE" to renderfamily = "RENDERFAM_STATIC"

Change this back.

uhmm I just noticed something: the model is turned by 90degrees to the left. didn't notice before because I never got it to move. could this be an issue for the animations? Because I don't really see a way how I can turn it back without 3dsmax :(

28 minutes ago, Flix said:

You are trying to run before you walk.  I recommend creating new entries for the creature.  Look at how I did the werewolf/werebear forms in Diablo 2 Fallen.

yes I did that. However I can't do it the same way. I'll explain:

• Model in gr2 format. Mine are adapted to use existing animations, I.e., the werewolf has all the same bones as the Dragon Berserk so he can use the same animations.  No need to add separate animation files and animation entries.  Just append the model's filename with an "@" symbol and then a suffix, and place it in the same subfolder as the original model.  This is the case for every new creature I've added in my mods - they are always adapted to conform to an existing Sacred 2 model.

Change this back.

unfortunately that is not possible for me because as I said I extracted the model from the Sacred1 gamefiles so I don't anything about it other than what grannyviewer tells me. However I also extracted the animations for the model from Sacred1. I did test it with both the extracted animations and some borrowed animations from Sacred 2 (npc/monsters/firedemon, npc/monsters/firedemon-sakkara, heroes/seraphim) nothing worked. The model loads in, but as soon as it comes to the animations, there's crashes.

• New itemtype.txt entry - this adds the model.
  • New surface.txt entries - these add the textures.  Name the surface entries after whatever material(s) are assigned to the model.
  • New creatures.txt entry.
  • Finally use the creature ID as the value in the shapeshifting spell token for either of the two shapeshifting CA's in spells.t

Change this back.

I changed the existing drakonikon entry from dragon berserk in itemtype.txt to the path of the new model for my testings. So I didn't create new entries in these files but altered the existing ones. But think that counts.

Change this back.

Yes, that was a stupid idea. I'm full of those xD

I'm really thankful for any help you can offer me, because I'm really stuck here.

The main problem I have is that I'm working with a model of what I don't know anything about because I didn't create it. If I had access to 3dsmax I could have done all that stuff myself but I don't.

I'm working on the whole taking shapeshift out of the game thing, I needed to reinstall Sacred2. I'll tell you more in a couple minutes.

Ok. used the HE Firedemon spell to summon the model. First I wanted to try just the model without animations. I created a new folder where I placed the model, then I created new entries, as you suggested, with 9999 as creatureid and 99999 as itemtypeid (not very creative but at least unused):

token in spells.txt:

Spoiler

mgr.defineSpell( "he_in_feuerdaemon", {
    eiStateName = "cSpellCast",
    fxTypeCast = "FX_HE_FEUERDAEMON_C",
    fxTypeSpell = "FX_HE_FEUERDAEMON",
    fxTypeCastSpecial = "FX_HE_CAST_L",
    duration = 1.000000,
    animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM05",
    animTypeApproach = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
    animTypeRide = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM01-HORSE",
    animTypeSpecial = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM03-SPECIAL",
    causesSpellDamage = 1,
    tokens = {
        entry0 = {"et_summon_level", 8, 8, 0, 8 },
        entry1 = {"et_damage_fire_rel", 180, 20, 0, 9 },
        entry2 = {"et_summon_soldier", 1000, 9999, 0, 8 },
        entry3 = {"et_minion_replenish", 500, 0, 0, 72 },
        entry4 = {"et_summon_level", 3, 3, 1, 8 },
        entry5 = {"et_minion_replenish", 1000, 0, 2, 72 },
        entry6 = {"et_addCastspeed", 100, 2, 3, 37 },
        entry7 = {"et_reduce_debuffs", 250, 0, 4, 41 },
        entry8 = {"et_regThisBuff", 250, 0, 5, 8 },
        entry9 = {"et_summon_level", 3, 3, 6, 8 },
    },
    fightDistance = 0.000000,
    aspect = "EA_HE_INFERNO",
    cooldown = 15.000000,
    soundProfile = 0,
    cost_level = 400,
    cost_base = 400,
    focus_skill_name = "skill_HE_inferno_focus",
    lore_skill_name = "skill_HE_inferno_lore",
    spellClass = "cSpellHeFeuerdaemon",
    spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_t_buff",
    sorting_rank = 4,
})

Creature.txt:

Spoiler

mgr.createCreature {
    id = 9999,
    itemtype_id = 99999,
    name = "anducar",
    behaviour = "Hireling_distance",
    dangerclass = 0,
    groupmaxcount = 1,
    elite_creature_id = 9999,
    probabilityforelite = 0.000000,
    rank = 0,
    tenergy_creature_id = 9999,
    livesremaining = 0,
    unconscioustime = 20,
    palettebits = "1111111111111111",
    monstertype = 1,
    faction_id = 1,
    modelscale = 1.000000,
    rise_from_ground = 0,
    has_corpse = 1,
    has_soul = 1,
    can_strafe = 0,
    },
}

Itemtype.txt:

Spoiler

newItemType = {
    -- standard info
    renderfamily = "RENDERFAM_ITEM",
    renderprio   = 0,
    family       = "FAMILY_ITEM",
    subfamily    = "SUBFAM_OBJ_INVITEM",
    classification = "CLF_ICON",
    flags        = "FLAG_CASTNOSHADOW + FLAG_HASPREVIEWIMAGE",
    weargroup    = "WEARGROUP_INVALID",
    model0Data = {
      name         = "Anducar/andd.GR2",
      user         = "WEARGROUP_DEFAULT",
    },
    -- logic bounding box
  logicBox = {
    minx=-17.876, miny=-19.647, minz=0, 
    maxx=17.876, maxy=19.647, maxz=117.693, 
    },
    dangerclass   = 0,
}
mgr.typeCreate(99999, newItemType);

Surface.txt:

Spoiler

newSurface = {
  name         = "anducar",
  texture0Name = "Anducar/andd.tga",
  texture1Name = "maps/npc/monsters/firedemon-sakkara/j_sakkara-id1_sg.tga",
  texture2Name = "maps/npc/monsters/firedemon-sakkara/j_sakkara-id1_n.tga",
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_OPAQUE,
  shader       = obj_d_s_b,
}
mgr.surfCreate(newSurface);

Creatureinfo.txt:

Spoiler

newCreatureInfo = {
  type         = 99999,
  walkSpeed    = 50,
  runSpeed     = 220,
  fightDistMin = 50,
  fightDistMax = 75,
  gender       = 1,
  agegroup     = 1,
    validEquipSlots = "0",
    defaultSMType = SMT_DEFAULT,
    behaviour     = "WildAnimal",
  hair1Itemtype = 0,
  hair2Itemtype = 0,
  hair3Itemtype = 0,
  hair4Itemtype = 0,
  hair5Itemtype = 0,
  hair6Itemtype = 0,
  tailItemtype  = 0,
    dangerClass   = 7,
  weight        = 1000,
    eBloodEffect  = "BLOODFX_RED",
}
mgr.creatureInfoCreate(newCreatureInfo);

This time the game won't even load, so it's even worse. Even removing the flag haspreviewimage from itemtype.txt which I have experienced some trouble with didn't work. Honestly, I don't know what to do anymore.

Ok.  If you're doing it that way, then you will need to add all animation files into the same folder as the model, and also define them all in animation.txt.  The format of the file names is crucial here.  If you don't have the animations, the summoned creature will immediately try to move around and fail, since there are no movement animations defined.

I don't know what utility you're using to convert the animations but it could well be the resulting format is just not compatible with Sacred 2.

Hey thanks again, well I'm using this method inspired explained:

On 9/5/2020 at 11:35 PM, Inspired said:

Hey Ragnar. Use this tool to get GRN models from the models.pak.

Then follow this excellent tutorial by @RuDDicK to import GRN models into 3DS Max. Once you get the models into 3DS Max, you can export them as OBJ. You can also import and apply animations the same way to add some personality to the characters you want to print.

If you don't have access to 3DS Max, there's also another way to convert GRN to OBJ but it's reeeeally convoluted and it doesn't preserve skeletons so you won't be able to apply animations. So I would definitely recommend RuDDick's method. But let me know if you want me to explain the second method as well.

to convert the animations from .grn to .gr2. I just hoped it would work.

7 minutes ago, Flix said:

Ok.  If you're doing it that way, then you will need to add all animation files into the same folder as the model, and also define them all in animation.txt.

Yes I did that in my second attempt. As soon as I shapeshifted into anducar it tried to load in the idle animation and thats when the game crashed.

My last hope is that the reason for the crash is that the model (and also the animations) are 90degree turned so you're looking to the lefft if you walk forward. But even if that's the case I don't know a way how to fix this :(

Wait I quoted the wrong post, I meant this method:

On 9/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, Inspired said:

Actually I've just remembered that there's yet another way to convert GRN to OBJ, a much less convoluted one. It mangles UV maps though but I don't think you need them for 3D printing anyway? So you should be good.

First, you'll need to convert GRN to GR2 using the method explained here (scroll down to the "Granny 1 format" section at the bottom of the page).

ok I've somewhat given up on the idea since the shapeshift won't be possible for the inquisitor anyways, but just out of curiosity I've tried to look at the model in blender and maybe rotate it.

So the data converting chain is pretty crazy:

.pak->sacred_tex_extractor->.grn->grannyviewer2->.GR2->Pesmontis' grnreader98->.smd + ASCII .fbx (+ a bunch of Maxscripts)

smd->Source Engine Plugin->Import

ASCII .fbx->Autodesk FBX Converter x64 2013->binary .fbx->Import

now for the .fbx file everything works fine, but for the .smd, I get - honestly I don't know what it is, looks like nothing but a straight line of bones without any model. I'm still learning these things, but I don't really know what I could've done wrong.

I think that I understand now a little bit better. Pesmontis made his version of grnreader98 specifically for sacred 2's .GR2 files to be edited in 3ds max. It might just not work correctly on converted Sacred 1 files, since the Sacred 2 .GR2 files seem to hold much more information than just models and animations judging by the files sizes.

However I also tried to convert and load Sacred 2 models in blender, here the problem is that I don't get any Polygons from the .smd, just a loose skeleton without any connections. And no, this is definitely not an issue whichs? whose? reason is my lack of experience with blender, it has to lay somewhere within the file conversion process. I guess without the maxscripts it just doesn't work, so either I need somebody to write a new version of grnreader for blender, which is like way too much to ask for, or it might be possible to convert maxscripts into some python scripts blender can use. I have some small experience in programming in lua and python, however this seems a little bit too much of a task to me, BUT since this is a more general problem and less about Sacred 2, chances are there that somebody has already done this. I'll keep you updated.

There are two more things I wondered: why do so many people seem to have access to 3ds max? It's soo expensive. Do you all use leaked pirates or are you all getting the free students version? Or do you actually pay for this? I really wish there was a reliable method so that everybody can get access to the Sacred 2 graphics with blender and alter them for free. This brings me to the second question:

Do you not want this to happen? Because I mean there's a reason the developers did not want us to have access to those files. My personal philosophy is completely different and Ascaron entertainment doesn't even exist anymore, but I can imagine out of respect for their work you don't want to distribute the tools people like Pesmontis developed for giving access to that work too far because you can't control what people do with them? Because people who want to redistribute other peoples work as their own would first need to get access to 3ds max and it creates some sort of safety paywall? Let me be clear: I don't want to offend anybody, I do realise people have spent their free time on writing tutorials and creating tools for 3ds max and it's amazing, and I also do realise that I can't expect anyone to help me, some random dude, with what he has in mind. But if you don't want me to be able to modell Sacred 2s .GR2 files in blender, then I'd respect that, but I'd like to know. It's also possible (although unlikely) that I find out how to do it in blender on my own and it would be a bad thing then if I shared my method.

Actually there's a third question, since this has become less about the shapeshift CA (I've given up on that) and more about loading Sacred 2 files in blender, should I make another thread or can I stay here?

• The title was changed to Need help with a shapeshift CA & Blender, etc.
1 hour ago, Lindor said:

Actually there's a third question, since this has become less about the shapeshift CA (I've given up on that) and more about loading Sacred 2 files in blender, should I make another thread or can I stay here?

This is an appropriate place, as it does concern modding. I slightly altered the title of the thread for you and I hope that you find the assistance that you have requested.

• Appreciation 1

Here's an update (I hope it's okay): Using the grnreader98 method gives you the skeleton, the bones, but it doesn't give you the mesh. BUT I found another way: converting the .GR2 file to .obj via evegrtoobj gives you the mesh, but not the bones. So combining these two works for both Sacred 1 and Sacred 2 files:JC_hurrah: However if you want to apply the texture, unfortunatley something really messes things up. In another thread, @Inspired explained why (he's been a great source of information for me so far <3)

On 9/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, Inspired said:

Actually I've just remembered that there's yet another way to convert GRN to OBJ, a much less convoluted one. It mangles UV maps though but I don't think you need them for 3D printing anyway? So you should be good.

First, you'll need to convert GRN to GR2 using the method explained here (scroll down to the "Granny 1 format" section at the bottom of the page).

Then convert the resulting GR2 file to OBJ using this tool (it works through the command line, check the readme file for an example of usage).

That should be it. Like I said, this method mangles UV maps and doesn't preserve skeletons but meshes should be fine.

Additionally some models are split into different section, like e.g. the Carnach (called "firedemon" in the gamefiles) is split into lower body, upper body, his wings and his sword while the .obj conversion merges it all together. Well, almost all, his swords model is on a different file.

This is not much of a problem though if you want to make your own texture, but it is still annoying. However there is a problem, I need to think about how to export everything back into the game, since if I export it as .obj, it remains the mesh and looses the skeleton and vice versa for .smd. I don't know how to overcome this yet.

Hey Lindor, I haven't read the whole thread and I'm totally unfamiliar with Sacred 2 modding so not sure if I get everything right but from a couple of your latest messages here it seems that you're having trouble getting GR2 models into Blender?

If so, try this plugin for Noesis. I only recently discovered it in my research into The Elder Scrolls Online models, and it seems to work great for all types of GR2 files: meshes, skeletons and animation. Sacred 2 is there in the list of tested games so I guess it should work for you as well.

Once you load a model into Noesis, you can then export it into a variety of different formats.

• Appreciation 1

uhmm... I'm feeling a little bit stupid right now. tried now for the last hour to install noesis both via python and sourcecode, via python it says that I should install oracle jre 1.6 or later, via source code it says it can't find the module "javabridge". I've created an oracle account (I'm now anakin skywalker, jedi temple 8, coruscant lol) and installed the latest version jre1.8.0_261, still doesn't work. I don't know what the issue is, uhm help?:dntknw:

EDIT

this line is the problem:

from pkg_resources import resource_filename
import javabridge as jb

EDIT2

oh man, apparently I can't install the latest version of javabridge, I have absolutely no idea why. but pip install javabridge==1.0.16 worked. Probably my python is outdated? I have 3.7.4. Now finally it worked. I've been literally trying this for two hours now, five minutes after I asked for help I find the solution lol. But I can finally test the plugin, thank you very much, I'm soo excited about when I finally see anducar in sacred2:yay:

Edited by Lindor
15 hours ago, Lindor said:

Do you not want this to happen? Because I mean there's a reason the developers did not want us to have access to those files. My personal philosophy is completely different and Ascaron entertainment doesn't even exist anymore, but I can imagine out of respect for their work you don't want to distribute the tools people like Pesmontis developed for giving access to that work too far because you can't control what people do with them? Because people who want to redistribute other peoples work as their own would first need to get access to 3ds max and it creates some sort of safety paywall? Let me be clear: I don't want to offend anybody, I do realise people have spent their free time on writing tutorials and creating tools for 3ds max and it's amazing, and I also do realise that I can't expect anyone to help me, some random dude, with what he has in mind. But if you don't want me to be able to modell Sacred 2s .GR2 files in blender, then I'd respect that, but I'd like to know. It's also possible (although unlikely) that I find out how to do it in blender on my own and it would be a bad thing then if I shared my method.

Is this addressed to me?  I'm out of town on a trip for work right now so I haven't been checking in as much as I'd like.

In short, I'm all for all the tools, resources, guides, utilities, etc. being available to everybody.  It wasn't always nearly as open in the past and information did not flow nearly as freely about modding the game.  Part of this was the official stance that was fervently anti-modding, an attitude that persisted in online communities for years after Ascaron closed down, resulting in not only tools being forbidden but also mere discussion of any modding.  Projects were completed quietly and privately before release, tools and utilities were developed in closed modding groups like the CM Patch team.  I always resented this and as soon I had access to tools and information I've tried to share them.

As for your project, I'm simply not that skilled with working with Blender.  When I did work with the 3D models, it was with the tools I mentioned and 3dsMax.  I never got anything to work with Blender, so I would be as useless as a random guy on the street for support.  What I recommend is the set of 3D modeling tools that Dmitriy posted:  

I've never withheld any information on how to mod Sacred 2 from anyone.  In fact IMO I bend over backwards for the past several years to help people try to get projects off the ground.  And I certainly never try to obstruct people or cause them to fail.  I just don't have all the answers.  :dntknw:

17 hours ago, Lindor said:

why do so many people seem to have access to 3ds max?

AFAIK, Autodesk provides no official access to either 3DS Max 7, 8 or 9. And you'll find no compatible GR2 exporters for later versions.

GRN and GR2 are RAD Game Tools proprietary formats. There's no official support for compatible exporters. And Granny3D, of which an officially obtained exporter is technically part of, costs in the range of 12k - 18k USD per license.

• Appreciation 1

15 hours ago, Inspired said:

Why didn't you just download the binaries:)

Anyway, glad you got it to work in the end!

uhmmm... didn't know this exists:B6nFRAh:

seems like I got too excited... after going through the idle and movement animations, I wanted to test the results and as it turns out the plugin doesn't support exporting to .GR2, only importing. I didn't realise - it litterally says in the title ".GR2 reader", not writer. I should have known better, seems like I've overseen a misunderstanding:

19 hours ago, Inspired said:

Hey Lindor, I haven't read the whole thread and I'm totally unfamiliar with Sacred 2 modding so not sure if I get everything right but from a couple of your latest messages here it seems that you're having trouble getting GR2 models into Blender

well the importing was already partially solved( although the Reader plugin improves and simplifies the process by miles <3). But the exporting has been an unsolved issue ever since, so I'm back to the old problem, the only known way by me to export as .GR2 files is a leaked plugin for 3dsmax. I think there is only one way left... going through the plugin line by line and trying to reverse the process. I'm really not an experienced programmer, I've done a bunch of sorting algorithms and some mathematical stuff for my university in python and some mods for factorio and scrap mechanic in lua, but that's it. This might take a while and it's very likely that it might not even work.

10 hours ago, Flix said:

Is this addressed to me?  I'm out of town on a trip for work right now so I haven't been checking in as much as I'd like.

In short, I'm all for all the tools, resources, guides, utilities, etc. being available to everybody.  It wasn't always nearly as open in the past and information did not flow nearly as freely about modding the game.  Part of this was the official stance that was fervently anti-modding, an attitude that persisted in online communities for years after Ascaron closed down, resulting in not only tools being forbidden but also mere discussion of any modding.  Projects were completed quietly and privately before release, tools and utilities were developed in closed modding groups like the CM Patch team.  I always resented this and as soon I had access to tools and information I've tried to share them.

I'm so glad you say this, I was a little bit worried that the moderators (including you) wouldn't like me talking about this stuff. I would say for the community to become more open-minded about modding was quite an achievement by you all then. my opinion always has been that there will always be people who try to do immoral stuff but if I hold my everything back, I'm doing more damage than if I shared them and risking that people do bad things with it. This holds on for pretty much anythiny, being it about sharing solutions in school and university or being it about sharing tools for modding video games. Anyways, I'm really glad that we can talk openly about this.

10 hours ago, Flix said:

As for your project, I'm simply not that skilled with working with Blender.  When I did work with the 3D models, it was with the tools I mentioned and 3dsMax.  I never got anything to work with Blender, so I would be as useless as a random guy on the street for support.  What I recommend is the set of 3D modeling tools that Dmitriy posted:  

I've never withheld any information on how to mod Sacred 2 from anyone.  In fact IMO I bend over backwards for the past several years to help people try to get projects off the ground.  And I certainly never try to obstruct people or cause them to fail.  I just don't have all the answers.  :dntknw:

Well I'm thankfull for anything you can offer, being it useless or the best thing ever <3

7 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

AFAIK, Autodesk provides no official access to either 3DS Max 7, 8 or 9. And you'll find no compatible GR2 exporters for later versions.

GRN and GR2 are RAD Game Tools proprietary formats. There's no official support for compatible exporters. And Granny3D, of which an officially obtained exporter is technically part of, costs in the range of 12k - 18k USD per license.

Wow, that's just - wow. I hope to interpret the outspoken and the non-outspoken correctly. Well I wasn't judging when I wrote that, these prices were the reason I was thinking about doing the same. It's just frustrating, I wonder wether there'll be ever an official im- and exporter for private usage. Maybe if enough people request it?

• The title was changed to Trying to find a Sacred 2 .gr2 Importer/Exporter for Blender