Trying to find a Sacred 2 .gr2 Importer/Exporter for Blender

Lindor

51 minutes ago, Lindor said:

well the importing was already partially solved( although the Reader plugin improves and simplifies the process by miles <3). But the exporting has been an unsolved issue ever since, so I'm back to the old problem, the only known way by me to export as .GR2 files is a leaked plugin for 3dsmax. I think there is only one way left... going through the plugin line by line and trying to reverse the process. I'm really not an experienced programmer, I've done a bunch of sorting algorithms and some mathematical stuff for my university in python and some mods for factorio and scrap mechanic in lua, but that's it. This might take a while and it's very likely that it might not even work.

Give Norbyte's tool a try. It's designed specifically for Divinity games though so it might not work for Sacred 2 but it's worth a try.

Edited by Inspired

Haven't had much time the last couple days, but I saw your reply, thanks <3

I have some trouble again:

I downloaded v1.9.0. There are now binaries, just a library, and in order to build the .exe it says in the readme file to download and extract the gplex scanner and gppg parser generators into the external folder. Luckily, there are links to the version Norbyte's tool needs:

https://gplex.codeplex.com/releases/view/129748

https://gppg.codeplex.com/releases/view/129749

In fact, Norbytes rebuild_parser.bat seems to look for two specific binaries, gplex.exe and gppg.exe (I'm using notepad++, no worries):

external\gppg\binaries\gplex.exe /out:LSLib\LS\Story\Osiris.lex.cs LSLib\LS\Story\Osiris.lex
external\gppg\binaries\gppg.exe /out:LSLib\LS\Story\Osiris.yy.cs LSLib\LS\Story\Osiris.yy
pause

Unfortunately when I downloaded from those links, there are no binaries again, but after extracting it includes the sourcecode.zip files which contain a generateall.bat file, which doesn't do anything after running. I've looked into the script and it looks like this:

REM generate resource resX file and copy to destination
csc GenerateResource.cs
GenerateResource.exe
move Content.resx ..\IncludeResources
del GenerateResource.exe

REM generate a fresh copy of parser.cs
gppg /gplex /nolines gplex.y
move parser.cs ..\GPLEX

REM generate a fresh copy of Scanner.cs
gplex gplex.lex
move Scanner.cs ..\GPLEX

if not exist GplexBuffers.cs goto finish
move GplexBuffers.cs ..\GPLEX

:finish
REM Ended

To me it looks like it's supposed to be run after the gppg.exe / gplex.exe are already built, to generate some additional files while maintaining the correct file and folder structure.

There are also .pdf files which are supposed to explain how gplex and gppg work, they have an installing section included, but e.g. for installing gppg it says the following:

uXOR5c1.jpeg

However there are no .exe files in the bin folder, in fact the bin file isn't even included in the downloaded .zip archive, only the gplex sourcecode.zip file has a bin folder after extracting and it contains two empty folders, Debug and Release. Actually, the whole folder structure is completely different than what it says in the .pdf files for both gplex and gppg.

I'm so confused right now:Just_Cuz_21:. Am I supposed to build them from the source code via #C? Because I have zero experience with any C languages or parsing.

That's my thought process, hopefully it's not too embarrassing for you:D

EDIT

I just remembered the .pdf files were not included, I downloaded them separately. I think from the same website, but not sure anymore.

Edited by Lindor
  • 3 months later...

From time to time I search for new solutions for the .gr2 exporter problem. It seems that even with using Sacred2's granny.dll, the latest importers and exporters are not compatible, and I've tested a few, so the most chances come probably with plugins made for older games. I found an importer/exporter for Neverwinter Nights 2 by someone named FreshLook:
https://github.com/Arbos/nwn2mdk/releases
The tool searches for NWN2's granny2.dll. If I knew the folder structure of NWN2, specifically where it's granny2.dll is located, then I could probably make it using Sacred 2's granny2.dll and maybe it will work for Sacred 2 .gr2 files as well. Of course I looked into the scripts first (python, not a language I'm strong in but meh, it's enough) and tried to figure it out, it says:

if (config.nwn2_home.empty())
		return 1;

GR2_file::granny2dll_filename = config.nwn2_home + "\\granny2.dll";

So I redirected the line config.yml to

nwn2_home: G:\Sacred 2 Testing\TEST

and put Sacred 2's granny2.dll inside, but that didn't work, neither for importing nor exporting.

Does somebody have NWN2 and can tell me where it's granny2.dll is located?
I'll test a little bit more until then and try to refresh my python, maybe there are other problems that need to be addressed as well.

EDIT: uhmm, actually I don't think it's python, it's C which I'm completely unfamiliar with (only recognized because of the ";"s at the end of each section)
EDIT2: actually he says on the github page which file is which language. Some are C, some are C++, few are python. How comes it that I always find out this stuff minutes after posting?:dntknw:

Edited by Lindor
  • The title was changed to Trying to find a Sacred 2 .gr2 Importer/Exporter for Blender
  • 2 months later...

Hello there,

Did you manage to successfully export the .gr2 files via Blender? Many files on the 3dsmax .gr2 thread are unavailable, so it seems Sacred 2 meshes are impossible to modify right now, unless you already have the necessary tools. :(

• Like! 1

2 hours ago, k42um said:

Many files on the 3dsmax .gr2 thread are unavailable, so it seems Sacred 2 meshes are impossible to modify right now, unless you already have the necessary tools. :(

Hello and welcome. I recommend getting the tools from this post:

I've also stickied that post just to now to make it easier to find.  Good luck.

5 hours ago, Flix said:

Hello and welcome. I recommend getting the tools from this post:

I've also stickied that post just to now to make it easier to find.  Good luck.

Thank you very much!

15 hours ago, k42um said:

Hello there,

Did you manage to successfully export the .gr2 files via Blender? Many files on the 3dsmax .gr2 thread are unavailable, so it seems Sacred 2 meshes are impossible to modify right now, unless you already have the necessary tools. :(

Also happy seeing  you here on the boards k42um

Welcome to DarkMatters!

The SacredVerse!

:superman:

gogo

• Thanks! 1
  • 9 months later...
19 hours ago, Xylothia said:

I don't know it you are still -trying to solve this/-working on it. But you asked and I have a GOG install of NWN2 Complete. There is only one granny2.dll and it's in the games root directory (\NWN2 Complete). 

Thanks! I'll look into it again when I find the time. Seems like the author of the tool is still maintaining support which is very cool.

• 2 weeks later...