How to Make Quality Sacred Game-Play Videos

Hey guys, Schot has put together a pretty nice little compare and contrast thread over in the creatrix.

Lots of cool goodies in it regarding how to do your own thing with Sacred videos.

Here's the link:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4228

Enjoy!

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. Therion, maybe you could post some of your tips on this thread as well? And anyone who has some great ideas regarding how to do it fast, and quick AND get it to look good, please share your technical prowess and post!

• 1 month later...

I didn't see that Thread till now. Shame on me :D

Well then, some Tips..

Recording Software

First of all, Fraps is a awesome Program to record.

It's extremely simple, doesn't need many Resources and doesn't compress the Captures (nearly..).

But it's the only One I know :D

So generally: The Record Tool mustn't need many Ressources and better doesn't compress the Captures (much).

Filming Sessions

This is something I learned at School (Audio/Video Editing.. it sucks so much ^^)..

Many Shorties > One Biggie.

Means, that a Film is better with more shorter Takes, than one big One.. why? Because it's more dynamic, one Biggie gets boring.

But don't override it with hundrets of 1s-Clips :)

Editing

If you have a Video Editing Prog.. good.

If not, I can't recommend any, because I only know Ulead Video Studio 7 (not free).

So in this Step you can doodle around with your Shots. The more you have, the wilder you can play with a nice Video-Audio-Composition.

Here I can't really give Tips, because I believe, that it's kinda Experience-Thing. You've got to time Titles, Music and Clips to get a good Result.

Compressing and Uploading

This is something, that needs to be balanced manually.

I myself use DivX 5.2.1 (Video) and AC-3 ACM (Audio) for Compression. You just can use, what's on your Computer, so fool around with all your Codecs and find the best Ones concerning Quality, Usabilllity etc.

I think, 5 ~ 10 MB per Minute on a 640x480 Video is okay.

There are many Sites, you can upload your Videos: YouTube, Vimeo, Stage6, myVideo etc. etc.

All may have their Pros and Cons.

Always be sure to give your Videos useful Tags, so that they can be found.

Example: A Video about a Hell Sphere Daemon, who's MFing in Shaddar-Nur.

Possible Tags: sacred, underworld, daemon, hell sphere, mf, shaddar nur

Know, what I mean? "apple, girl, spider" wouldn't bring anything :D

Just my 5 Cents

:P

Therion

• 3 months later...

I tried to use fraps on my Vista but it doesn't work. I don't understand the reason.. ..it doesn't record anything itself.

Anyway I tried CamStudio, it works, but the videos aren't as expected: you see things appearing/disappearing, probably it's due to the frame recording, but I don't know how to set it... ..any idea?

• 2 weeks later...
I tried to use fraps on my Vista but it doesn't work. I don't understand the reason.. ..it doesn't record anything itself.

Anyway I tried CamStudio, it works, but the videos aren't as expected: you see things appearing/disappearing, probably it's due to the frame recording, but I don't know how to set it... ..any idea?

I'm not sure about CamStudio.. I remember using it back in THPS3 Times..

Lots of Objects were temporarily non-existant and Lags were horrible.

I guess it is, because that Program needs just too many (graphical) Resources, so that the Game can't be pictured as it should have to be.

All I could suggest is: Try another Record Tool..

I'm sorry that I can't really help :4rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about CamStudio.. I remember using it back in THPS3 Times..

Lots of Objects were temporarily non-existant and Lags were horrible.

I guess it is, because that Program needs just too many (graphical) Resources, so that the Game can't be pictured as it should have to be.

All I could suggest is: Try another Record Tool..

I'm sorry that I can't really help :)

well.. I tried it out, and I discovered a simple way... :(

CamStudio (free with no time-limist)

First select "record fixed region, 1024x768", encoding windows media player 9, record audio (speakers) too.

Secondly select "run Sacred in a window"

Then run sacred

Then start and pause the recording pressing F8.

At the end, the quality of the raw video is equal to the game quality, and it has no time limits

And the most important thing, is that it runs on Windows Vista.. :)

• 6 months later...

Im actually a fan of fraps. I use WIndows Movie Maker for my creations, however I have trouble uploading videos to the web so thats definetly a con of Windows Movie Maker.

So, its not too early to plan a Sacred 2 Clan video is it?