Wood Elf Blizzard set build

I know earlier that I stated that I wanted to finish my BM and Seraphim in Single Player, but due to leveling up online I've not had a chance to play SP much this week. I'll continue with the Blizzard character adventures since this thread's been inactive for a week after today's Kamikaze session.

The recounting of your adventures in this now blog/build type setting is really groundbreaking. I don't think it's been done quite this way before and it has great reference value for your chronicles.

Nice work here DaveO

:hugs:

gogo

Due to rebuilding my Daemon for this Sunday's Kamikaze session, I may not have time this week to resume the Blizzard SP character adventures. It WILL happen, but I have to prioritize wisely :P

I had completed a brief online session getting my BM prepped for a possible Clan leveling session later today. I had some time before the server reset, so I figured I might as well continue my Blizzard Wood Elf adventures.

Overall, I took about 105 minutes to get to the point where I'm about to head into the Embalmed Forest for two freebie skill point rewards and part 3 of the Fighter series. I'm staring to use my magic more than before, and I ran into some Mohkva's that hit HARD with the Where's the Mother quest. Oddly, the game is continually warning me that I'm BELOW the monster levels with some spawns eight levels above her current level.

I've been blasting away with arrows and spells, and only came away with two levels and only one CA upgrade with the 3 for 1 conversion ratio. I did find an upgrade to one piece of the Blizzard armor, but I need to either get a +skills amulet from one of the merchants or continually level up in order to use the improved armor item. I doubt I'll get to level 78 from the Embalmed Forest, so I'll be heading up to Hell's Ridge again to power level to 85 and then head back to do the storyline and side quests.

I've included some images of my general gaming and sideshow amusement screen shots.

shot0012-1.jpg

Group Ghosting - Part 1

shot0013-1.jpg

Group Ghosting - Part 2

shot0011-1.jpg

Be a hoot, don't pollute - Part 1

shot0015-2.jpg

Be a hoot, don't pollute - Part 2

shot0014-4.jpg

Putrid Purple Parasite

shot0016-2.jpg

Pretty pattern - Snow scenery

Edited by DaveO

I took about 75 minutes to continue onward at Hell's Ridge. I've been getting fairly good drops from the monsters, and sometimes the area spawns monsters more than seven levels over my current character level which triggers the warning music. I know the monsters to be careful with, and I've come close one time to reaching the regular Cerebropods instead of the little magic ones. Currently, the character is level 82 with three more levels in the Ridge to achieve before continuing the story.

Took aside more time this morning to level the character. She reached level 84, and got a few drops to save for other SP characters. I've seen the bigger 'pods just one time along the way for my leveling runs, so that may give you an idea of how full my inventory is. I have about a third filled with mentor potions, and my stash is over halfway filled with potions as well. Too bad I can't jump over to multiplayer and share the massive 'milk' hoard. :4rofl:

• 1 month later...

I know it's been weeks since I've posted an update, but I've moved this build to online Hardcore multiplayer. Expect some shots and stories as her true adventures begin since I just made level 50 with her today. My attribute allocation is different online vs SP. I put 7 points into Physical Regeneration and 3 into Mental Regen for the spells. So far she's starting to take off in terms of damage. I'll have to give her specialty magic CAs a try online to see how effective they are(or not).

I got to level 78, and can finally wear the full set. My chronicles will begin anew after the resocketing of all my gear. I did treat Ari and another to a brief snow display. The special damage is still the same nice purple frostbite color, so I'm looking forward to the reaction in the next Kamikaze session with this.

To recap the differences between my multiplayer and the SP builds, in SP I invested in 6 points of Dexterity with 2 into Physical Regen and 2 into Mental Regen. On the multiplayer side I changed the attribute allocation into 7 points into Physical Regen, and 3 into Mental Regen. I feel Dexterity gets enough of a buff from the start stats of a Wood Elf, and I can always increase the attack capabilities with more investment into Multi Shot. Due to large rune investments into Call of the Ancestors, her MS is at 5 arrows for the moment. BUT, the kicker is that I'm nowhere near her potential on the Poison Tendrils or Plant Cage CAs. They can do some damage now, but my goal is to see how far off the scale I can take the magical CA damages and effects. My Quick as a Flash is in the 30s with equipment and direct rune investments. Call of the Ancestors currently does significant damage at over 1000 damage per hit(barring resistance). With the adding critical of the arm greaves, my goal is to socket my Octanion bow with +critical hit rings as well to really boost the damage potential. Upon the resocketing and next Kamikaze session, I may be in the middle to high end in terms of damage output and being able to take damage as well without too many issues.

After joining a Silver server game online, I've found that the build is not as powerful with bow attacks as I'd like. But the nice benefit is that her spells are quite useful at the levels that I've pumped them to. I am curious to see if Plant Cage will work on a dragon, though that would require serious rune investment and contribution to get it higher. I'll go ahead and capture her current status, CAs, stats, etc and post it into a reply to let others look at the big picture of this online build.

Guest FrostElfTwin

Thanks so much for sharing.

Soooo... can you Plant Cage D'Cay? (Dragons have higher spell resistance so you might need more levels in it than an orc chieftain (which requires more than an orc)).

:drinks:

I just did a comparison of the Single Player build versus my Hardcore build. In terms of hit points, the HC character is above the SP one by a few thousand hit points. The magic CAs are below my SP build, but I'm hoping that the next Kamikaze session will fix that a bit(or more depending on runes). I took a screen shot of all of her mods at the current character level of 80. I also treated Ari and some others to a brief 'ice tour' showing them the special ice damage of the set and some of the magic CAs that I will likely use in the Kami game(with the exception of Transformation).

I'll find out on Kamikaze Sunday if Plant Cage works on D'Cay. Any assistance to help me to achieve higher Plant Cage levels(best way to bypass any potential resistance) would be greatly appreciated and the helpers would be suitably recognized and thanked.

shot0022.jpg

Edited by DaveO

Hi :4rofl:

Just my opinion Dave0:

You are holding that bow for emotional reasons or because of the looks? Or you actually using it?

If you arent attached too much to that bow I would propose you change to something more appropriate for your char for example a dagger/sword + shield combination. Xrystal's Ornate Buckler is THE natural choice for a magic WE and any crit/leech/xp weapon would be an useful addition to that.

At least my highly succesful niob WE does that:

WE.jpg

Surely this isnt the only viable way but if you are not using it because you lacking the shield I might have one for you (even some nice daggers too :trans: )

Csaszar

Edited by Csaszar

Trust me, I am using the bow. I do have both the dagger and shield in slot #2 though the screenshot is mostly obscuring this. Slot #3 is my Trade stuff. My whole goal is to get the most out of all CAs including the magic ones, so using the bow is the only way to do that.

I darn near lost my Hardcore character today after barely surviving being jumped by a big group at the Hell's Ridge. This close call is making me wonder whether I should post any more comments in the thread since it looks like all my planning has been for naught. The only good thing I've been able to get from this dedicated build is a good investment into the magic CAs.

I'm just wondering at the moment on what is truly unique for this build. Magic and Ranged Wood Elf builds have been done. By putting my emphasis on having the best of both, perhaps the old 'Jack of All Trades, Master of None' saying is the most appropriate. I'll still play the character until I either reach level 216 or die, but given that close call I'm pretty sure she will either die before level 100 or a little bit after(around the same point I lost my Dark Elf build).

Edited by DaveO

Now that my character has reached Platinum level, she switched her bow to the Ettol bow due to the huge critical chance and I only lose one socket. I used the bug where I oversocketed the Ettol bow so that I can use it. Due to the bow change, it's going to take quite a bit of rune investment to increase my ranged CAs. As I SLOWLY work my way towards Niobium, I believe I have a good balance between ranged and magical damage. The Call of Ancestors is quite good against many enemies, and I STILL have yet to test Plant Cage against a dragon though I may during the upcoming Kamikaze event. Thanks to many kind folks including Gial, Momgold37, Titi, and many others I have the next two upgrades for my Blizzard set.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I've received information that the Special Damages are completely useless except with split. Apparently the damage never gets very big, and you do the same damage without the set benefits. Personally, I'd appreciate confirmation since I truly don't want to stop this build. But even if it is true, I've already put so much effort into getting the online build to level 106 that it would be a waste to the guide readers to just quit.

• 3 weeks later...

My character has moved forward a few levels, and to be honest I don't know where she would be without the good spell capability. In larger player games, the bow is not as powerful as relying on CotA or Poison Tendrils. I am closing in on my next equipment upgrade, and will resocket the replaced gear at that point. As good as the Octanion bow was early, the added critical damage from the Ettol bow is just too important to pass up.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FrostElfTwin

Around Aug 26, I noted that you could not equip the Ettol bow without oversocketing it.

This lead me to wonder: why would a WE not take Ranged Combat? I had to go back to see your skill selection

1: Concentration + Meditation

3: Weapon Lore

6: Trade

12: Constitution

20: Armour

30: Moon Magic

50: Magic Lore

for a Hybrid, Telenochek and Covenant recommended players drop Meditation skill since it could be replaced with "Regen Spells" in the regeneration formula. That is: the regen benefits of Meditation (which are double that of Moon Magic) can be replaced well enough by

investing in "Regen Spells" equipment.

So, that would free up a skill for Ranged Combat.

Then, you would get the Ettol completion bonus of reducing enemies physical resistance by 93% (at higher levels?) provided as a set completion bonus (according to Pevil's site).

CotA is an enormous buff that on it's own should be able to take you to 216--(says the guy who has been never higher than 152 with any character ever! :4rofl: ).

I really applaud anyone who tries to use all the CAs and Spells effectively. Wow!

Here I am, working on a Dark Elf and a Battle Mage... and now... reading this... I'm getting excited about WEs!

With your bow use, I don't recall hearing you use PA. Or EA. How are those kinds of arts coming?

===

re: Snow damage is small (and overall damage does not improve)

Snow damage cannot be resisted. Doesn't matter much in lower levels, but it will really matter in niob! I recall the difference in resistances between bronze and silver is 35%. If it is only 35%/different kind we get: 0%, 35% silver, 70% gold, 105% plat and 140% niob.

10% of the damage getting straight through could become very significant when regular damage is severely cut down!

====

Re: Dumping the bow and just using spells since the bow is getting less effective at higher levels... The bow wouldn't have degraded at higher levels if the completion bonus could have been reached. What level of Ettol bow are you using? What level of rings are socketed in it? Since you're not using Ettol for the set, you can socket in it the highest crit rings you like... could that be Solwemyr's or Orla's (poison boost --would that affect your poison tendrils?) or something else? Seems to me that the classless sets introduced in UW were designed to try to bring the character classes in balance... that is: bring the old chars up to Daemon/Dwarf levels...

====

Re: Transformation

I think the intention of the Transformation CA is an escape CA. That is, it is intended as a panic button! The "ZOMG!! I'm going to dieeeeeeeeee!" panic button that turns your enemies into harmless bunnies and deer. They transform back after a time don't they? Gives you a chance to run away from them without dying... especially needed by the WE since she can't jump rivers or cliffs to put physical barriers between her and danger.

• 2 weeks later...

I do apologize for not updating this thread in a while. My Blizzard WE is doing ok right now, it's just that I tend to play along other 'project' characters at the same time. Unless the damage displays lie(always a possibility), Ari's Blizzard magic WE and mine are doing well over 10% of Ice Damage. I suspect those big numbers are mostly due to critical hit, but I'll be free to admit that I don't fully understand how critical hit multiplies damage. Even without critical hits, the damage is well over its listed value.

Due to the much slower leveling pace when characters reach level 100, I suspect this character will have ample opportunities to see how far spell and ranged damages go. I did try Plant Cage, and D'Cay in Gold successfully resisted it. In all likelihood, that particular CA needs to be closer to my character level although it may never work on dragons since it works on other creatures without too much difficulty. While I may fondly refer to this build as a 'rune sink', perhaps Ari could offer her insights into the purely magical CA side. :thumbsup:

hehe I would be happy to! :4rofl: Ill get my details all in order and let you know! (It was such a fast leveler that I need to actually go back and take note of what Ive done :P