Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

When using Schot's credit card I always say nothing but the best for everyone :drunkards:

Hehe nice. I wonder how long it'll take him to notice ?!

Might take awhile..I keep changing billing info from 'Suds R Us' to something like IPB Software or Wiki Maintenance System Analysis on the receipts

When using Schot's credit card I always say nothing but the best for everyone :drunkards:

Hehe nice. I wonder how long it'll take him to notice ?!

Might take awhile..I keep changing billing info from 'Suds R Us' to something like IPB Software or Wiki Maintenance System Analysis on the receipts

Cool.

Pints, chasers, AND bar snacks. He is in for a nasty surprise.

Just found out the local liquor store carries MEAD! I'm in HEAVEN! Mead FOR EVERYONE! :drunkards::xmastree::drinks::woot::pitcher:

Goodness, I am surprised. That stuff has been around since the middle ages. If it's been brewing for 800 years, I wonder what alcohol % it is.............yikes !

Do they sell it in flagons ? I'm on my way.............just to test it out, o/c. :drool:

shouldn't take him that long...

I don't know. A mega rich guy like Schot probably doesn't need to check his statements that often ! :whistle:

Here in the US it is a relatively new. For a long time it was only available as an imported item and even then only seen at some ren-fairs (thats where I had my first taste of it, 22 years later to have it again). With the upswing in home brewing and micro-breweries it is now starting to be made over here.

I just like the word Mead. In fact, just the idea of ordering something called Mead strike the fancy. I think of it as rich, golden stuff...probably inspired by all my reads of Gods and Myths... great stuff...and the heroes always seemed to drink barrels of the stuff.

Heroes get all the benefits

:lol:

gogo

I just like the word Mead. In fact, just the idea of ordering something called Mead strike the fancy. I think of it as rich, golden stuff...probably inspired by all my reads of Gods and Myths... great stuff...and the heroes always seemed to drink barrels of the stuff.

Heroes get all the benefits

:lol:

gogo

Ah fermented Honey! gooooood stuff

You see mead (Met) a lot on christmas markets here in germany.

Different variants:

normal mead: can be drunken warm or cold, a local bee-keeper does selfmade one and it is around 15% alcohol and tasting like honey

Wikingerblut: viking blood: the beekeeper makes it by fermenting a mix of cherries and honey, can be drunken warm or cold. At Markets it is often a mix of 8% alcohol mead and cherry juice added.

Drachenblut: dragon blood, local variant, Drachenblut is often a mix of sparkling wine and red wine in other areas of germany it. At our local christmas markets it is like Wikingerblut, but spices (a bit sharper/hotter than for Glühwein added), served hot

Lot of other funny names describing variants, but they are not mead because the honey is not fermented:

Bärenfang- wiki translation is misleading. Even a Fang means to catch/trap something in german, the german hunter language uses Fang as for long teeth of predators or knives formed like teeth- Bärenfang is honey put in Schnappes till it is absorbed, then several bitter herbs added, easy to be selfmade. Mainly drunk at boar (bruno got killed, so no bears here) hunts when nearly 100 people work together.

Picture of a Hirschfänger (Hirsch = deer, which was used by hunters to do death blows to deers who were only wounded by poor shooting of the noble people.

Hirschfaenger_2.jpg

Laws in my area demand that hunters need to carry a pointed weapon to do death blows if there are people around. My weapon, which I had to use several times because of boars, deers injured by cars, is a Saufeder (translated as pig feather, meaning a boar spear). Wikpedia is wrong again:

Old Saufeder:

saufeder-2-b.jpg

Used for milleniums, the Saufeder is the featherlike point, while the whole spear was called Ger (ger men = germans). There is wool or feathers attached below the point, so running blood doesn't reach the hands and makes them slippery (you never see that in movies, but it was there).

New Variant:

Saufeder%201.jpg

This the stick has to be sticked together and then the point is added. The point has a second use as a knife. The stick can be used as a walking/wandering stick if the point is removed. The weapon is just used to kill an injured boar from a bit more distance when shooting is not possible.

Different variants:

normal mead: can be drunken warm or cold, a local bee-keeper does selfmade one and it is around 15% alcohol and tasting like honey

Wikingerblut: viking blood: the beekeeper makes it by fermenting a mix of cherries and honey, can be drunken warm or cold. At Markets it is often a mix of 8% alcohol mead and cherry juice added.

Drachenblut: dragon blood, local variant, Drachenblut is often a mix of sparkling wine and red wine in other areas of germany it. At our local christmas markets it is like Wikingerblut, but spices (a bit sharper/hotter than for Glühwein added), served hot

Lot of other funny names describing variants, but they are not mead because the honey is not fermented:

Bärenfang- wiki translation is misleading. Even a Fang means to catch/trap something in german, the german hunter language uses Fang as for long teeth of predators or knives formed like teeth- Bärenfang is honey put in Schnappes till it is absorbed, then several bitter herbs added, easy to be selfmade. Mainly drunk at boar (bruno got killed, so no bears here) hunts when nearly 100 people work together.

Picture of a Hirschfänger (Hirsch = deer, which was used by hunters to do death blows to deers who were only wounded by poor shooting of the noble people.

Hirschfaenger_2.jpg

Laws in my area demand that hunters need to carry a pointed weapon to do death blows if there are people around. My weapon, which I had to use several times because of boars, deers injured by cars, is a Saufeder (translated as pig feather, meaning a boar spear). Wikpedia is wrong again:

Old Saufeder:

saufeder-2-b.jpg

Used for milleniums, the Saufeder is the featherlike point, while the whole spear was called Ger (ger men = germans). There is wool or feathers attached below the point, so running blood doesn't reach the hands and makes them slippery (you never see that in movies, but it was there).

New Variant:

Saufeder%201.jpg

This the stick has to be sticked together and then the point is added. The point has a second use as a knife. The stick can be used as a walking/wandering stick if the point is removed. The weapon is just used to kill an injured boar from a bit more distance when shooting is not possible.

Beautiful knives. I feel embarrassed about my magic knives now

:blush:

gogo

I've actually never tried it though. Is Mead just tasting like beer but made from bees? Or is it like a kind of liqueur or something?

:)

gogo

Mead tastes nothing like beer, it is more like wine but can be flavored with fruit, flowers or herbs and spices.

Mead is called Met or Honigwein in germany. Honigwein (= honey wine) is quite close to how mead without spices taste. The colour and taste of the pure mead depend on where the bees collected the honey; needle wood forest, rapseed, flowers, ...

About the above knives:

This type of knives is mainly designed for killing. For butchering or doing lunch they are not the best. I don't have a Hirschfänger. The one from my grandgrand-pa was destroyed in march 1945 by a Sherman Tank: people had to drop big knives, old guns, telescopes, foto cameras, ... on marketplace and then they were told that all was destroyed by a tank. Or it was never destroyed and the relatives of the american soldiers are now selling the old trophies on ebay.

About hunting:

Sorry if it sounds violent. One of my 2 jobs is to look for the forest of the local earl. Since he runs a big company I have to organize the hunting, control animal numbers, do the nasty insurance stuff (cars crashing into huntable animals, boars ruining farmland, ...). Who is responsable for damage done by wild animals is complex law. Huntable animals are only allowed to be shot by the person who has the hunting right in the area, the same person is sometimes responsible for the damage done by these animals.

Boars are quite robust, if a car hits them they often survive, but have broken legs. If they can't run away because of this but lay in mid of a secondary road you cannot shoot without having the traffic stopped miles in advance. An unlucky riquochet(?) can fly for half a mile. So laws allow using pointed weapons in this case, for normal hunting it is forbidden. The killing of injured animals is restricted to the persons who have the hunting right (I have to do it if the earl is away), police in case of danger to public or a veterian in case of unnecessary pain to an animal. The last can be argued to be done by everyone but it is a lot of writing and you have to prove that it was a case of unnecessary pain. If you killed an animal which was paralyzed because of shock and not a broken spine it can put you in trouble. Same if you throw a road kill into your car and do not drive to police or owner of hunting right directly: it is considered ilegal hunting done with the car as weapon if stuff wents bad.

The change in agriculture (more Mais =american corn, maize)and no predators in germany big enough for boars made them breeding twice a year now. As long they have young ones you are not allowed to hunt. So the 2 weeks you are allowed to hunt them you organize big hunts to surround a horde and shoot most of the males and the weaker female ones. A strong female will prevent others from having too much young ones. So you don't hunt blind, you try to do it in a way that he structure of the horde keeps intact.

Edited by chattius

I can understand putting an injured animal out of it's misery, but I will never like hunting.

That is all I will say on it though.

We all have opinions, and like politics and religion, discussions can get out of hand, and this is a fun place to be. :)

Bah, I give up for now !

My broadband is soooo slow today that it's taking for ever with each post. :blink:

I'll try and see what it's like later.

Steve.

My dad was huge into hunting. Him and my mom are true island born and bred... blood and guts was nothing new or anything that ever made them wince once. I remember when my dad was trying to get me and my brother into skinning a huge goat that he had bought from a market downtown, and then brought home all these live chickens from a farm that me and my brother started to give names too. The next day was kind of strange... they were all gone...but our fridge was full of strange looking bags of meat

heh... guess my stomach had been de-islandized.. the closest I was ever going to get to a live animal hunting, skinning etc was going to be to choosing a steak at the local grocery store, while leaving the more "grounded" part of meat procurement forever hidden from my eyes.

I "get" your job Chattius.

I've always thought it was interesting, and love to read about how you balance the necessary culling with your empathy for animals (I'll always remember you writing about how you bring in those baby hedgehogs in for the winter! :bounce:)

I wonder sometimes how different things would have been for me if I didn't have the luxury of choosing cuts of meat that someone else hunted or "farmed"

:)

gogo

Different variants:

Hirschfaenger_2.jpg

Old Saufeder:

saufeder-2-b.jpg

New Variant:

Saufeder%201.jpg

I love the Drachenblut! I can't wait to get back to Germany to get some good Mead again! On the topic of good drinks...anyone here ever had Karhu III from Finland? I love it! And they have the greatest keg EVER!!

KARHU%20III.JPG

Just found out the local liquor store carries MEAD! I'm in HEAVEN! Mead FOR EVERYONE! :drunkards::xmastree::drinks::woot::pitcher:

Do they have BevMo stores near you? I believe they carry the stuff year round. I think they also ship...

They have two domestic and one Irish import for sale - most reasonably priced as well.

http://www.bevmo.com

Edited by wolfie2kX

Hey steve, how's the cricket hey:) Couldn't pick how this test is gonna turn out!

Bah ! I knew it was too good to last. England will be lucky to get a draw outta this one, I can only see an Aussie win now, tbh. Then we'll crumble completely and lose the series. :unsure:

Hey steve, how's the cricket hey:) Couldn't pick how this test is gonna turn out!

Bah ! I knew it was too good to last. England will be lucky to get a draw outta this one, I can only see an Aussie win now, tbh. Then we'll crumble completely and lose the series. :unsure:

Well, we'll see. Its been such back and forth stuff (mainly forth for you guys) so far that I still see it going either way, theres still 3 days of play left...so yeah :)