Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

Drinks on me for finally reaching 1000 posts! :cow_white:

:drunkards::whistle::drinks::pitcher: :pitcher: :drinks::drunkards::oooo::drinks::pitcher::drinks::pitcher::drunkards: :drunkards: :thumbsup::pitcher::sick::yawn:

*Where's the fairy:)*

lol Scleameth. Gratz! *Bells and whsitles blare while confetti shuts up into the air* Oh hey. Check out tha new bling pip. :D

I know Ricky Ponting has struggled this series, but the stick he is taking is way too much. He has a fantastic record as captain, and has been one the the finest batsman in the history of the game.

People have very short memories.

I hope he bounces back with some big scores. I bet he'd love to shove that down the media's throats. ;)

He sure would. However, depending on how his world cup pans out he may never play test cricket again. Our next test is in august next year and since he isnt playing the 5th ashes test because of his broken finger...who knows how things will turn out. He definitely deserves the chance to go out on his terms though.

It would be a big shame, both for Ricky Ponting and for Australian sport, if he were to finish his test career like that. I very much hope, for his and crickets sake, that he comes back to the test arena. Even if it were just for one series, do very well, and hang up his bat. Finish on a high note, Ricky mate.

There was a lot of play lost in today's test match between Australia and England because of rain. Ironic really. I'll bet a lot of the Barmy Army went down there to get away from the bad weather !?

Steve. :)

* The 5th and final test Aus vs Eng 2010/2011 *

Well, they can't blame Ponting this time ?!?! :D

Yeah...well, public opinion seems to be that noone likes clarke (I do...), however, there may be a few slightly put out aussies over bells referral and subsequently not being given out and cook going out and then having a no ball called. The no-ball....well, thems the rules, bell's referall I think was in poor sport however...

* The 5th and final test Aus vs Eng 2010/2011 *

Well, they can't blame Ponting this time ?!?! :D

Yeah...well, public opinion seems to be that noone likes clarke (I do...), however, there may be a few slightly put out aussies over bells referral and subsequently not being given out and cook going out and then having a no ball called. The no-ball....well, thems the rules, bell's referall I think was in poor sport however...

I've seen no action at all. I only get to look at the score card online.

I'm not a fan of the referal system at all. I think it undermines the umpires. They have got along without it for over a hundred years..............

Did you ever have to umpire a match? Pig of a job from the bowler's end.

I haven't, and yes, I can well imagine it being tough.

That is part of the reason the the referal system is wrong, IMHO.

It should be the umpires who can ask for video help, not the players, seemingly questioning the umpires decisions. I just think the players calling for this will only lead to trouble.

The ICC should back the umpires, and allow them to get technical assistance, when required. The players should respect the umpires decision. The umpire raises his finger, you walk.

Did you ever have to umpire a match? Pig of a job from the bowler's end.

I haven't, and yes, I can well imagine it being tough.

That is part of the reason the the referal system is wrong, IMHO.

It should be the umpires who can ask for video help, not the players, seemingly questioning the umpires decisions. I just think the players calling for this will only lead to trouble.

The ICC should back the umpires, and allow them to get technical assistance, when required. The players should respect the umpires decision. The umpire raises his finger, you walk.

That was the issue here...bell was given out caught behind, clear sounding nick and he knew he was out. Instead of walking off though he walked up the other end and asked his partner if they thought it was only a little nick that wouldnt show up on the hot-spot referal technology, and ended up refering. Hot-spot comes back with no conclusive evidence either way so the umpire changed his decision, however the tv broadcast has access to snick-o-meter which basically shows if theres the sound of a nick as the ball passes the bat and that clearly showed the nick. Thats the problem with the system as it stands...players referring the decisions that they think they can get away with because they've seen that the technology isnt quite perfect for some of the really close decisions...in this case really faint edges produce a very faint mark which fades almost instantly...hmmm...I hope that you know what hot spot is otherwise this probably makes no sense. And I hope I don't come across as whinging, I'm just trying to convey what happened.

All in all though, regardless of that decision, I have to say...Alistair Cook...he has singlehandedly been the man to prevent us having any chance of winning the ashes, he is in supreme form at the moment.

Sometimes, a good umpires instincts are better than modern hitech equipement.

Gone are the days when cricketers were 'good sports'. They used to walk without question, and take the word of a fielder who claims to have held a catch. All gone now. They think they are footballers, lol ! :D

It is kinda depressing, and I can't say that we don't do it, because ponting referred his decision to some very obvious ones...you're right. There's so much less good sportsmanship like walking these days...even going as recently back as adam gilchrist, walked every time, or flintoff consoling brett lee after you fellas won a match by 2 runs and he was shattered...doesnt happen anymore.

Edit: I feel that in some way its due to the 20-20 mentality...arrogance and short displays of emotion are what drive people, not so much as the will to simply enjoy the game and represent your country.

Edited by Dragon Brother

It is kinda depressing, and I can't say that we don't do it, because ponting referred his decision to some very obvious ones...you're right. There's so much less good sportsmanship like walking these days...even going as recently back as adam gilchrist, walked every time, or flintoff consoling brett lee after you fellas won a match by 2 runs and he was shattered...doesnt happen anymore.

Edit: I feel that in some way its due to the 20-20 mentality...arrogance and short displays of emotion are what drive people, not so much as the will to simply enjoy the game and represent your country.

Maybe we should stick to village cricket ? ;)

At least cricket hasn't stooped to football levels. Watching footie these days is a chore. They spend half the match rolling around the floor holding a leg as if it's been snapped in six places ! :blink:

Only one day left of the Ashes series.

I am sure Australia will do what they have done fantastically for many decades. That is to bring in some fresh young players and start to build a new team of world beaters.

England on the other hand will do what they have done for a number of years now. We will go to South Africa and take away half a dozen of thier players ! Seriously, a lot of English cricket fans ( and other sports too ) I speak to would much rather we trained up our school children to become good sports players, rather than 'stealing' talent from abroad and ignoring our own youth. The British government has been closing school playing fields on an alarming scale for years now. What do they think, that the teachers will use some sports sim on pc's to keep children fit ! Bah.

Only one day left of the Ashes series.

I am sure Australia will do what they have done fantastically for many decades. That is to bring in some fresh young players and start to build a new team of world beaters.

England on the other hand will do what they have done for a number of years now. We will go to South Africa and take away half a dozen of thier players ! Seriously, a lot of English cricket fans ( and other sports too ) I speak to would much rather we trained up our school children to become good sports players, rather than 'stealing' talent from abroad and ignoring our own youth. The British government has been closing school playing fields on an alarming scale for years now. What do they think, that the teachers will use some sports sim on pc's to keep children fit ! Bah.

The tv commentators were talking about a foundation trying to raise money to attempt just that. Some Chance to Shine or something, trying to raise money to increase the number of schools at which cricket was played in england...apparently they wanted to raise some big money...multi-millions of pounds...

But yeah, one day left...going on past form our one day/T20 team may provide a bit more of a challenge for your boys, but after the world cup its time for us to begin rebuilding. My dad said that there was the possibility of us playing two extra tests against bangladesh next year at the start of the cricket season which could boost the confidence of the players if they win...to which I replied they then have to go to South Africa and are gonna get spanked by the likes of Dale Steyn...could be a few long years, but Im looking forwards to the results of future changes in the team :)

Dale Steyn is a fine bowler, but in Jacues Kallis (Cricinfo link) you will face a one man team ! 11677 test runs, 166 catches, and 270 wickets.........insane guy ! Plus, I don't think it includes the current match between SA and a very, very good Indian team, that Kallis has just scored 161, and then is the second innings 109 no. There is no stopping that geezer !

Dale Steyn is a fine bowler, but in Jacues Kallis (Cricinfo link) you will face a one man team ! 11677 test runs, 166 catches, and 270 wickets.........insane guy ! Plus, I don't think it includes the current match between SA and a very, very good Indian team, that Kallis has just scored 161, and then is the second innings 109 no. There is no stopping that geezer !

I'll say...talk about being irreplacable in a team. I read an article recently that compared kallis, tendulkar and ponting and showed how kallis and tendulkar are improving with age whereas ponting has slowed down over the last few years.

Worth a read if you are interested: here.

I blame all the rain we've been having lately for Australia's poor performance.

Far too much like England.

Or maybe we didnt get enough rain to save a few tests :)

In all honesty though, they were simply too good.

I blame all the rain we've been having lately for Australia's poor performance.

Far too much like England.

Rofl. Classic mate. :4rofl:

Do not worry. We both know that the Aussies will bounce back with a shiney new team soon. It'll be back to the good old Pommie bashing's with 5-0 score lines, lol !

Ever the optimist. ;)

I'm happy that England won, but can't help feeling that it will all go wrong again soon.

I'm happy that England won, but can't help feeling that it will all go wrong again soon.

I think the english team has a few good years ahead of them...until we start rocking again :)

Hmmm, we have a big hole left by Flintoff. I don't see too many allrounders coming through the ranks, tbh. I guess they are pretty rare, not just for England, but around the world.

I think the english team has a few good years ahead of them...until we start rocking again :)

Hmmm, we have a big hole left by Flintoff. I don't see too many allrounders coming through the ranks, tbh. I guess they are pretty rare, not just for England, but around the world.

Yeah, although you're helped by the fact that most of your bowlers can all bat a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dudes and dudettes, dropping by after a lastminute holiday to Portugal. How's everyone doing these days? I've been busy rearranging my life, mostly. Trying to grow up I guess. Gotta start eventually eh?

I've been outta my old internet habits for a while now, trying to free time for other stuff. Sadly this also means I'm not visiting here regularly anymore. However this community always has a place in my heart so you'll be seeing me pop in from time to time ;)

This round's on me!

Edited by Timotheus