Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

Most often it isn't the theft which hurts, suddenly feeling unsafe in your own house is the main problem. When 'My home is my castle' is no longer valid.

We just finished university and our 2nd daughter was still a baby when we decided to move into a family owned centuries old house mid in forests. After half a year there were reports of south-east European robber bands striving around and robbing in near cities. Most of them were former commandos soldiers and they knew how to hide in forests, and we had a lot of them around, forests and robber bands.

Geese and  2 big dogs as an outer defence system, electronic sensors around the house, creating something like a safe room, ...  But nothing ever passed the geese. 3 dead foxes as a proof. If it weren't the geese then the robbers had good intelligence. We hadn't much money left after paying the cousins who were co-owners.

• Like! 1
On 4/16/2018 at 6:11 PM, Delta! said:

We did go to the police this morning. Called the banks 24/7 call center and cancelled my cards, got a new debit card this morning, but the credit card will take a few days, I will have to go to Stellenbosch to get a new phone.

We have always been careful about locking doors and keeping gates and windows locked, but we where in the house and had been moving around before we started watching the movie, had dinner and played board games before we moved to the guest room... I have already looked into getting a slam lock gate for that door. In summer, and even till now, we have very hot weather, and the house gets very stuffy. so we generally keep the kitchen door open for the breeze, it opens into a private courtyard with high walls and spikes on top of the wall... we are just freaked out about it all now...

I can imagine how hot it gets there in the summer. Hydro electricity must be so expensive as well?  How are you guys doing now, the entire experience is so jarring..I hope you're able to slowly find some normality coming back into your days

:hugs:

gogo

• 3 months later...

Off to mexico oh beloved friends... ill come back Tanner!

Check out the natty shades Mom picked up for us ... Bro's getting married this week along the sunny seas and skies

38273571_10160636921385142_3221696608437534720_n.jpg

:gogo:

gogo

• Like! 1
On 8/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, gogoblender said:

Off to mexico oh beloved friends... ill come back Tanner!

Check out the natty shades Mom picked up for us ... Bro's getting married this week along the sunny seas and skies

38273571_10160636921385142_3221696608437534720_n.jpg

:gogo:

gogo

OOOOOh Yeah! looks like it is gonna be a fun trip.

drink lots of tequila!

My oldest married at the registry office at 1.8.18, 1st of August 2018, easy to remember in the German date writing. Saturday was the wedding at the church. Whole village and fire-fighters frpm neighbour villages helped because we had like 500 persons for a Polterhochzeit. Polterhochzeit is when the Polterabend is placed after the wedding the same day.

Polterabend is the evening before a wedding, when crockery is smashed outside the door of the bride’s parents or of the bride and groom: the broken pieces are supposed to bring luck to the happy couple. Often the Polterabend is extended into an informal party for friends and acquaintances. It is sometimes held a week before the wedding to allow guests time to recover.

So it was wedding at the church with cutting a blocking trunk by the couple, dinner with closest family members and friends and then the Polterabend with all friends, classmates, people from village, from the clubs she is a member, friends from university... 

Her friends didn't buy the 89 Euro kit as in the Photo.

bs_teaser_bild1.jpg

Our daughter had 'nice' friends. Not soft birch as in the photo above, but a good old German oak blocking the whole exit of the church,not a new sharp saw but an old beast of a saw. ---

Baums%C3%A4ge.jpg

"Log-sawing is another wedding tradition from Germany. It is done after the wedding ceremony. There will be a log on this log sawing horse and when the newly wed couple comes out of the church it awaits them as the first task they have to accomplish together as a married couple. It is supposed to show how they will manage to accomplish tough tasks in the future. It might be really interesting if bride and groom were not dressed in a white gown and tuxedo…"

And now I have 4 years to recover for the next ...

Congratulations on your daughters wedding Chattius. Hope they will have a long and happy marriage.

• 4 weeks later...

They do their honeymoon backpacking in Switzerland, 9 more days. Her husband studies bridge engineering and my daughter arboristic (nursing old trees). So they planned to know the profession of each other better. My daughter likes climbing. Started when she was 6 and was more in the crowns of trees than on the ground. She is also a good free climber and so next week both will join some climbing training.

.1_Menschen_auf_der_Bruecke_2_front_large

1920px-RhB_Ge_4-4_III_UNESCO_Weltkulture

• Like! 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 3:09 AM, chattius said:

They do their honeymoon backpacking in Switzerland, 9 more days. Her husband studies bridge engineering and my daughter arboristic (nursing old trees). So they planned to know the profession of each other better. My daughter likes climbing. Started when she was 6 and was more in the crowns of trees than on the ground. She is also a good free climber and so next week both will join some climbing training.

.1_Menschen_auf_der_Bruecke_2_front_large

1920px-RhB_Ge_4-4_III_UNESCO_Weltkulture

wow, Chattius I missed this...what an imaginative and cool Honeymoon... Congratz and best wishes to that new young couple in your life!

:hugs:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just took a photo of my phone with another phone..first time I seen this... 

So... this is what Face ID beams to my face every time I use it... safe? dunno...but kinda spooky neat.. maybe? :oooo:

20181028_125307.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My cousin's wife's Mom is checking in (kinda early...? 72? :blink: ) into a cool retirement home.  Everyone has little outdoor apartment/cottages with outdoors leading to their own backyards. Tons of outings per day... good place during the summer... plus they run an aggressive bingo program

:lol:

gogoIMG_0681.jpg

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

Thanks Theuns! Most of the pain has abated, and in fact, its must less severe now two days after, with almost no swelling as reported from the internet.  The pills the doctor gave me are so potent though that I find myself only using one of them at night before bed, with only some ibuproffen during the day.  

Yes..jello, custard, ice cream... enuff of life through slurps.. can hardly wait to tear my teeth into something with a little more substance... hello mr hamburger... come to me maw!!

:wow:

gogo

I'm glad that you are healing well, sir Gogo, dry socket is no fun. As cold as it is there you might stay away from cold things and stick with hot offerings like homemade chicken soup. Darn, after reading your post I now have a relentless craving for a cheeseburger with a super large order of fries. By the way, was that a wisdom tooth?

45 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

I'm glad that you are healing well, sir Gogo, dry socket is no fun. As cold as it is there you might stay away from cold things and stick with hot offerings like homemade chicken soup. Darn, after reading your post I now have a relentless craving for a cheeseburger with a super large order of fries. By the way, was that a wisdom tooth?

Yah back top right wisdom... hole there now... doctor says I can get an implantin there if I want or just let it stay open ...lots of people just leave it the space there... and talking about burger...heckyah!

:D

gogo

7 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Thanks Theuns! Most of the pain has abated, and in fact, its must less severe now two days after, with almost no swelling as reported from the internet.  The pills the doctor gave me are so potent though that I find myself only using one of them at night before bed, with only some ibuproffen during the day.  

Yes..jello, custard, ice cream... enuff of life through slurps.. can hardly wait to tear my teeth into something with a little more substance... hello mr hamburger... come to me maw!!

:wow:

gogo

5 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

4 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Yah back top right wisdom... hole there now... doctor says I can get an implantin there if I want or just let it stay open ...lots of people just leave it the space there... and talking about burger...heckyah!

:D

gogo

Oh yeah... I forgot you guys are sitting with Icy winters... while I am sweating here in the blazing, relentless African sun. I actually got a heat rash on my thigh and one foot... had to go to the doctor, he gave me a salve...

Well stick to the chicken soup, and maybe some delicious puree based soups, roasted tomato with basil pesto, butternut/pumpkin, courgette pea & spinach, roasted pepper & tomato.... just quickly thinking of a few flavours.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:36 PM, Delta! said:

Oh yeah... I forgot you guys are sitting with Icy winters... while I am sweating here in the blazing, relentless African sun. I actually got a heat rash on my thigh and one foot... had to go to the doctor, he gave me a salve...

Well stick to the chicken soup, and maybe some delicious puree based soups, roasted tomato with basil pesto, butternut/pumpkin, courgette pea & spinach, roasted pepper & tomato.... just quickly thinking of a few flavours.

lol yah Theuns...I *wish* I could just get those flavors into my mouth with the skill of a cook like you too

:drool:

and so so sorry about the foot! I cant believe that.. heat rash? my lord...I remember those happening to me when I went back home to visit Sri Lanka... this was when we were kids...as soon as we got off the plan we'd break into bumps, then a huge rash and they would buy something called calamine to run in.  I hope you're feeling better as well friend :)

gogo

p.s. I just got back from the dollar store near me and picked up a can of grey gruel with lumps...it claims to be a clam chowder...but we'll see

:4rofl: