Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I would like kids to be preotected from that kind of language.

Unfortunately that seems a bit of an impossibility in this day and age.

It's true, sadly.

I've noticed that even on daytime tv they use words that weren't used in my youth.

I notice at german movies that the language used depends a lot of the target group. Teens and early twens are targetted with a below the Guertelliniesprache, below the belt language?

While the really good selling movies are 'family movies', ones you can visit at a kids birthday with kids up to grandparents.

For non german movies there are two possible effects, a good story line with a bad language canbe made more family friendly, or a bad movie can (whete the regisseur has no interest anymore on a good translation) made teeny with translating into a bad language, adding jokes where there wouldn't be one in the original.

Stuff like this makes talking about some movies in an international board hard.

On tv they use some words which shouldn't really be used in front of children but are not really classed as 'swear' words. But on some movies, which are possibly familly movies ( maybe age 12 and above) which use proper 'swear' words, which I find unaceptable, tbh. They use children in the movies and use these 'swear' words in front of the children and make out that it is all just a good laugh ! Adam Sandler has done this in more than one film. I don't like this, but then I am not a parent so I can't protest too loud.

Best pizza ever

I use.to buy restaurant coupon books. It are like guides to local restaurants, museums,.... For each discussed location you have a coupon like: 2 dinners for the price of one, 2 adults and kids are free ( we have 5 hungry ones ;) ),...

So at a visit to my parents I checked which coupons I would have to use up till march. I found one named pizza for the whole family at the Dunkelkaufhaus. Dunkelkaufhaus would translate as pitchblack large store. All is darkened, no light, all painted with a light absorbing black colour. At daytime they sell perfume, Wool,...

The store is run by blind people and they are the opinion that buying perfume without wasting 60% of your brain activity for seeing is the better way. Or buying wool by touching its softness,...

In evening the locations are used as a small restaurant up to 20 people. Still all dark, they take your hand and lead you to table,...

So I don't know if it was the pizza or if it was eating with double the normal brain activity focused on the taste, it was fantastic, everyone of the family said so and it is a thing to be repeated. There is a coupon with a fine dinner left.

Australian open tennis :-

What a match between Murray and Djockovich ( not sure about spelling !) Nadal must be rubbing his hands together as he has had a days extra rest and the other semi was something like 5 hours of gruelling play !

Djockovich is a fantastic player, but he must be exhausted now, so the smart money must be on Nadal.

Oops, I went and jinxed Nadal in the tennis :- Tennis, sorry about that Rafa ! :blush:

I am amazed at Djokovic. Around 11 hours play for the semi and final. Holy fitness, Batman !

The womens final lasted about 1 hour and 20 minutes in total, yet they get the same money..........hardly seems fair to me. :dntknw:

Also, poor old Rafa, he's the first player ever to lose 3 consecutive grand slam finals..............gotta hurt !

Oops, I went and jinxed Nadal in the tennis :- Tennis, sorry about that Rafa ! :blush:

I am amazed at Djokovic. Around 11 hours play for the semi and final. Holy fitness, Batman !

The womens final lasted about 1 hour and 20 minutes in total, yet they get the same money..........hardly seems fair to me. :dntknw:

Also, poor old Rafa, he's the first player ever to lose 3 consecutive grand slam finals..............gotta hurt !

Well, the prize pools should be split evenly, AFAIK. As many people tune in to watch the women's event as much as the men... maybe more?

I watched the whole match...simply amazing stuff. Each player got in control at various stages of the match, truly one of the greatest of all time.

Yes, and runners should be paid by the distance. A marathon winner shoud get 422 times the money than a 100 metre sprinter ;)

Heh, makes a lot of sense. Nine seconds of entertainment compared to over two hours. Hmmm, I wonder if some-one will ever break the two hour barrier. Be one hell of a thing to do. I'm so unfit, it would take me two hours for the hundred metres ! :sweating:

I needed 3hours and 45 minutes the only time I tried a marathon. I was probably in best bodily shape ever because of army and my parents asked me if I would drive my little sister (16 then) to Berlin marathon and look for her. I was quite shocked when I wasn't allowed to company her with a bicycle :( So I had to run, even I was really trained, I wasn't trained for running but swimming. I could dive for more than 5 minutes (thanks underwater rugby) and could cross the lake at garnison (9 kilimetres) easily swimming. But most of this was because of a viral infection at a teenager which kinda stopped the full growing of my legs. So I ended as a 1.92m boy with an arm span of 2.30m. Which is actually great for swimming, javelin or discus throwing, being goalie at handball (goal is 2m height and 3m width, so no head hurting at the horizontal pole while arms can cover nearly all of the width),... but running, it was really never my thing. Sport classes at school where I got marks for running I always chose the 400m. Anaerob running with not much breathing. Good for my lung capacity so my better air volume kinda neutralized my slower run speed.

Back to marathon:

My sister asked me if I really really really would think that I can do a marathon. And I said I can try and as soon I am out you are too. And then she was taping me: feet and to my surprise the 2 mammary papillas (latin here to prevent censoring) on my breast too. Everywhere where cloth could rub I had to tape. After adding a few dozen pounds of extra weight because of all these tapes, 30 pounds of extraweight in form of not needed arm, breast and accellerating muscles not needed at a marathon,... we started at 9Celcius, plain streets, no sun.... Then my sister told me to avoid stepping in water pits from yesterdays rain (else shoes would rub too much on feet), where the food and water supplies are, ....

I finished it and my sister organized 2 pretty red cross girls to look for me while I was pumping for air. Didn't know my wife at this time, so my sis thought she could look for pretty nurses to bring me back more quickly... On way home I wondered if I could beat the 3 hours barriage if I really really would train for it,... But I liked the sports I was already doing more.

Gotta love that your sister looked out for you like that chattius, finding pretty nurses for you :D

Hey steve...how was that 3rd test for you, looks like another whitewash for the poms, thats been a couple in the last few years hehe...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Theuns. And... dom dom dom dom...after about eleven hours of sleep, I feel 'good!" not totally awesome, but the fever waves have passed, and I believe I can at least get into work today to do some hours.

Remind me never to hug anyone again!

:4rofl:

gogo

Cold or flu and only one day at home? if you would work at our company you would be ordered to check the outer savety area for a few days. Nobody wants a person sneezing when working with explosives.

Even with no explosives around: headaches and calculatons don't work. Sometimes you need days to find a mistake done with a headache. So if anyone here shows sign of a flu, he is ordered to stay in bed and fill the papers for state savety authority nobody else wants to do. If there are none to write, walk the fence and check for holes.

Chattius, heh, that small sojourn turned into a lost voice and some pneumonia...I`ll follow your guidelines next time and try and take more time off work :blink:

And... I`ll have an extra large mug of chicken noodle soup please, extra on the germ killing powah!

:D

gogo

Seems chicken soup is a nearly world wide recipe against a flu? 5 pound whole chicken and an equal amount of several vegs, yummy. Large family :)

Traditional chinese medicine says that it takes longer to recover from a flue with a chicken soup. Wonder if they are different recipes, or if the placebo effect is in full effect.... YOu got the chicken as a young kid at a flu and you knew that someone was putting time and affort into helping you and this already made you feel better.

Same with these funny adhesive bandages, you apply them at your kids and tell them that real pirates had way worse injuries like a lost eye, hand or leg and still didn't whine.

270_Piraten_piratenpfl.jpg

I knew there were experiments and nearly everyone felt better after eating a chicken soup, but there was never a control group with people who never ate a chicken soup before. But heh, as long as it works how it should I don't need a scientific reason.

Yes, the placebo effect.

I saw a news piece on antidepressants, and that only 1 in 10 test studies actually showed that the drugs they were testing had any discernable effect above the placebo. Of course, the companies that do the tests only submit the postive studies to the FDA for approval... and the regulatory body doesn't consider unsubmitted results.

:twitch:

Seems chicken soup is a nearly world wide recipe against a flu? 5 pound whole chicken and an equal amount of several vegs, yummy. Large family :)

Traditional chinese medicine says that it takes longer to recover from a flue with a chicken soup. Wonder if they are different recipes, or if the placebo effect is in full effect.... YOu got the chicken as a young kid at a flu and you knew that someone was putting time and affort into helping you and this already made you feel better.

Same with these funny adhesive bandages, you apply them at your kids and tell them that real pirates had way worse injuries like a lost eye, hand or leg and still didn't whine.

270_Piraten_piratenpfl.jpg

I knew there were experiments and nearly everyone felt better after eating a chicken soup, but there was never a control group with people who never ate a chicken soup before. But heh, as long as it works how it should I don't need a scientific reason.

For a couple days actually it felt like chicken noodle soup was about the only thing I was interested in eating. I was actually making my own, and getting kind of a kick out of doing it. I'd cook a kind of omelette egg with some veggies in it, warm up chicken bouillion, then toss the entire thing into the bowl... big yum! Lived on that for about two days, did me good :bounce:

Yes, the placebo effect.

I saw a news piece on antidepressants, and that only 1 in 10 test studies actually showed that the drugs they were testing had any discernable effect above the placebo. Of course, the companies that do the tests only submit the postive studies to the FDA for approval... and the regulatory body doesn't consider unsubmitted results.

:twitch:

Scott, I've heard horror stories about drug submission tests, I almost don't trust anything I read, stats are stats, they're made to be spun, though that info you posted about them not having to look at unsubmitted results...scary

We're in the middle of the week, we've all made it here to Wednesday, gird up everyone, Humpday is here!

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Quiet weekend for me. Not on-call so shouldn't get phone calls from work ! *crosses fingers*

Cold 'n' damp this morning.

Going to go around to my parents on sunday afternoon to watch the France Vs England rugby match with my dad. Come on boys ! :starwars:

Have a good one y'all.

Steve. :superman:

I'm spending my weekend at work.

Worked a double shift today, and only a 9-5 tomorrow, because we are only open for lunch. and gonna hit the Games hard when I get back!

Quiet weekend for me. Not on-call so shouldn't get phone calls from work ! *crosses fingers*

Cold 'n' damp this morning.

Going to go around to my parents on sunday afternoon to watch the France Vs England rugby match with my dad. Come on boys ! :starwars:

Have a good one y'all.

Steve. :superman:

My goodness Steve, where have you been mister!

You're not goin anywhere!

:butcher:

I'm spending my weekend at work.

Worked a double shift today, and only a 9-5 tomorrow, because we are only open for lunch. and gonna hit the Games hard when I get back!

Gawd, Theuns, I don't know how you make it through these days... aren't you completely exhausted when you get home?

I wouuldn't mind a beer now, even if it's a placebo!

:P

gogo