Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

My thoughts are with you.

My dad died few weeks ago too, short after his 75th birthday. But it was not a fast and sudden like the one of your dad. He had strokes, but was living in a wheelchair for a year, clear thought and speak, just handicapped with legs and left arm. Went to hospital (not the one my wife is) for a check of stomach. Fighting 3 weeks in intensive station, caught a nasty multi resistant while being at hospital it seems. Not able to breath, speak or write, just nodding with eyes. Clear in mind. I needed papers from quick court which allowed me to decide in his case. He never wanted to live depending on machines (at least I felt so, no testament or will) and when docs asked if they should do a cut in air pipe to put him on machines without any reaö chance to get rid of them ....

Hard decision but I said no...

It is hard to decide on ones death. I wished he had written his will. I did it some years back. I think it is easier for wife or daughters to do such a decision if I wrote down what 'life' longering surgery I would accept and which not.

German laws forces docs to accept the will of the ill, if they want life longering or not. But in case nothing is written a court has to judge what they think would be your opinion. So better to write all down in advance and put in one or two persons you want to decide in your case if you are no longer able. Not know the law in your countries, but here I would say everyone should put a paper with his identity card to avoid trouble and life or death decisions.

I know this part is supposed to be merry, but also feel like it is a good place to talk.

My father passed away yesterday, possibly a heart attack/stroke, which cause him to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a bridge support... although he was dead before impact.

Was just wondering how do you say goodbye to someone that close to you? I know he will never really be gone, that he will live on in our memories and in the great stories we will tell about him, but knowing I can't phone again, and talk to my dad... :( It gives me some comfort to know that the last time I did talk to him I did say "I love you".

Delta!

I'm very sorry for the sudden loss of your father Delta. To answer your question... I wrote my goodbye to my father here on the forum and I did feel a bit better about doing it. Looking at the topic I wrote about him now I kind of think of that topic as a place I made for him. It's strange but when I open the topic now I almost feel as if I'm visiting him... You should feel free to do the same. :)

My dad died few weeks ago too, short after his 75th birthday. But it was not a fast and sudden like the one of your dad. He had strokes, but was living in a wheelchair for a year, clear thought and speak, just handicapped with legs and left arm. Went to hospital (not the one my wife is) for a check of stomach. Fighting 3 weeks in intensive station, caught a nasty multi resistant while being at hospital it seems. Not able to breath, speak or write, just nodding with eyes. Clear in mind. I needed papers from quick court which allowed me to decide in his case. He never wanted to live depending on machines (at least I felt so, no testament or will) and when docs asked if they should do a cut in air pipe to put him on machines without any reaö chance to get rid of them ....

It is hard to decide on ones death. I wished he had written his will. I did it some years back. I think it is easier for wife or daughters to do such a decision if I wrote down what 'life' longering surgery I would accept and which not.

German laws forces docs to accept the will of the ill, if they want life longering or not. But in case nothing is written a court has to judge what they think would be your opinion. So better to write all down in advance and put in one or two persons you want to decide in your case if you are no longer able. Not know the law in your countries, but here I would say everyone should put a paper with his identity card to avoid trouble and life or death decisions.

An unimaginable situation for me to be in chattius. That was, no doubt, very difficult and I'm sorry for your loss. Very good point Chattius about stating life and death situations in a will.

It's often said that there is a distinct loss felt among sons who lose their fathers. For me it is of all the unasked and unanswered questions about who my father was, what adventures he took as a young man, untold dreams and a whole bunch more. I realized too late that knowing him better could have helped to know myself even better.

As for the passing of both your fathers I would strongly recommend you create a topic for each of your fathers in The Daily Grind. That's where I put mine as well.

What a tough decision Chattius, you've scared me into speaking to my family now about living wills, I would not want to go through that kind of a decison for my family.

My condolences on your loss as well friend.

:(

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Are we back yet? at least this thread lets me type into it!

If so drinks all round

Wow - where did my "new" avatar come from?

Edited by Bondbug

aww c''mon Bug... u wear that pirate hat grrrrrrrreat!

lol, honestly though, this must have something to do with the huge upgrades we made to the software. SChot's sippin margaritas somewhere down south, but he can look at this when he gets back.

:)

gogo

Yesterday evening it was auction day at forest. Selling some trees to barrel makers in france, mast makers for sailboats, restauration of old wind mill, ... Only a few trees each year, but it are big ones and straight.

Barrel makers family brought some probes of the alcohol which will be in the future barrels, so we sat down at our house and did some testing. Not really prepared to do an evening dinner for 12 more persons, we put the grill out in the evening mist and roasted what ever came in our hands.

Bohnen im Speckmantel mit einer Bärlauch-Handkäsesosse, dazu Sauerbraten vom Hirsch im Römertopf mit Folienkartoffeln

Would probably read far better in french or italian, but it is an a mix of old recipes:

Bohnen im Speckmantel

bundles of green beans, covered with some fine herbs, then wrapped with bacon

58797-bigfix-prinzessboehnchen-im-speckmantel.jpg

Bärlauch-Handkäsesosse

sauce from melted local sour cream cheese with fine cut bear garlic

Sauerbraten vom Hirsch im Römertopf

one week marinated meat from deer, actually the chewing muscles and neck muscles, the ones with most used muscles and least contain of fat

Römertopf, closed clay pot soaked up with water, so the meat is kinda riding on a small water film

Folienkartoffel

unpeeled potato wrapped with aluminium foil and put on grill, then cut in half and filled with Kräuterquark (selfmade soft cheese with fine cut herbs)

Folienkartoffel-201020540210.jpg

Seems I put a lot of stuff in a bacon wrapping, reading some old posts: eggs, plums, fish, ... and now green beans.

Till we consumed some alcohol, I think I can put it here :)

Awww, I wanna hear about the boooooooooooooooooooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :P This IS the bar, after all!

Good thing I mixed up a quick stirfry this morning (I work overnights) or your post would have me drooling all over my keyboard.

I assume those are late-fall potatoes you pulled from the nearly frozen ground? YUM.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever considered coffee with advocaat?

My wife likes slefmade Eierlikoer (egg liqueur, advocaat?)

100ml advocaat

1 tea spoon milk powder

1 portion bag vanilla sugar

mixed and heated to below 80C (else alcohol vanishes, sugar may produce nasty molecules)

fill in glass and add 300ml coffee

you may add a cap of milk foam with choco splinters

The english name advocaat came from a misspelled avocado. South american indians had a creamy liqueur from avocado which was brought to europe and was known and sold in harbour towns. But continental europe was too far away to get avocado in the 18th century. So a replacement was searched and found: yolk.

Eierliqueuer is nice for wintercocktails with for example coffee, or Eierlikoerkuchen - advocaat cakes, ...

eierlikoerkuchen.jpg

Top layer is advocaat stiffed with vanilla pudding powder. In between depends, at this type of year: roasted apples.

• 1 month later...

The minesweeper USS Guardian entered a maritime nature park without permission and ignoring the warning from the park rangers. It collided with a reef and is close to sinking.

The ship as a minesweeper has the most modern sonar, radar, sensors and it was blind to the reef and deaf to warnings?

USS-Guardian.jpg

Blind Guardian, a new meaning? I wished it would be always the band, and not danger of oil pest in a world culture heritage natural park.

Don't reefs take hundreds of years to grow?

:o

gogo

According to some "so called experts" in marine biology. Thousands of years for a very large, vibrant reef to fully develop.

Very Sad!

I remain, :mafia:

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Work :) I've been working at my new job for about a year and a half now, have already seen some ups and downs.

My mentor of my first few months passed away due to cancer, at the age of 38... but I've also earned myself a permanent contract.

I work as a payroll consultant, which comes down to performing payroll administration for two clients, I'm involved in support for our software/other clients and am currently working on expanding my expertise on a piece of E-HR software. It enables employees to receive their paycheck through email/view it online and claim their expenses through an online system which is intertwined with our professional HR software. Good stuff, but it also means I've been quite busy... ;)

How's everyone doing out here?

Edited by Timotheus
  • 2 months later...

Hey there .

I hope that everyone is well ?

Sorry I haven't been around, but I've barely touched my pc for some time as I have been playing with my PS3.

I've just got Sacred 2 for the PS3 and found that I have forgotten almost everything since I last played !!! Terrible eh ? I must be getting old, hehe.

I have now owned Sacred 2 on Xbox 360, pc and PS3...............and to think that I wasn't that impressed at first !? I guess I must like it more than I realised.

I looked for the Sacred Wiki that you guys worked so hard on and was a brilliant source of info, but I am struggling to find it. Has something happened ? At least there is stuff here still, though I haven't had a chance for a thorough read yet.

What I'm looking forward to is playing the classes that I didn't bother with too much previously. I tend to get obsessed with 2 or 3 classes and overlook everything else, but I can put that right now.

Anyway, it's good to see you all and I look forward to chatting some more.

Best wishes,

Steve. :cow_white:

• Like! 1

Yeah.. The Sacred Wiki has been down since December when some @^%@#$^% hacked and thrashed it and FDM... FDM is back... The Wiki - not so much yet. When we last heard from Gogo on the subject - he and Schot were gonna look into it last weekend.

Sacred 2 is like a T-Shirt.. it's comfortable. Might not be too dressy, but it's something to wear when lounging around the house. :D

Truth be told, I kinda found the story behind Sacred 2 to be a LOT weaker than the one in Sacred 1. That one was pretty compelling - and the ending, where Shaddar goes boom - EPIC! In Sacred 2 - you flip a switch? Where's the big boom that makes the world a safer place?

• Like! 1

We've just hired a bevy of elves to help us out with the restructuring of wiki

These elves are very hungry and keep asking for raises, but are proving to be dilligent l'il things

Anyone got an extra whip?

:whip:

gogo

• Like! 1