Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

I'll be going for a nice cool fresh OJ today. This is the first day since Monday I had something solid for breakfast AND lunch AND dinner, and I don't want to overdo it. Darn flu.

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

Timo, I'll join in on with you on the fresh OJ... yeah I got hit as well this week... miserable eyes and a hoarse voice all made the week a little bit yucky.

Yours sounds painful with the stomach as well

:blink:

gogo

Your eyes bothering you eh? Sounds familiar! I haven't had my contact in until just now. What bothers me the most is that lethargic feeling you get.

Having said that, I haven't had the flu in ten years or so. *shrugs* guess it was long overdue.

did you have to miss work? it was particularly bad this year here in quebec... plus the flu shot cocktail they "crafted" for this year, had the wrong bugs in it, so most peeps who too the shot got the flu anyway

:lol:

gogo

• 1 month later...

Hi gogo.

I made an interesting flavour of frozen dessert.

Lemon curd sorbet. I made a lemon curd, sugar, whole eggs, egg yolks, lemon juice and zest and butter that I cooked out, and after it has cooled I added a cup of water, to thin it out a little bit.

If I want to be very technical, I would say it is actually a sherbet, because of the eggs, but a sherbet ussualy just has whipped egg whites added...

It was served on one of our vintage Friday menus. Pineapple parfait, lemon mousse, mint sherbet(the fizzy powder kind of sherbet), white chococlate air, lemonade gell, lemon curd sorbet, lemon-vanilla crumble.

Got quite a few complimets from guests and staff who tasted the dessert.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

I would love that!

One of my friends at work has a wife who's a magician too with deserts. She always finds a way to make eggs lovely... your imagination with eggs gave me a quick visit to the tastes.

Lucky guests you had

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Back from Easter! Had an amazing time with my family in the country in Ontario, province near us here in Quebec... they live in this quaint Scottish hamlet (that such a thing can be!) with lots of livestock and land.

They've kind of gotten famous for their Easter Hunts, and this year was massive, with 20 children showing up and all their parents.

Needless to say, the sugar down two hours later was not pretty :P

Put together this video of all the gang this last Sunday. My tepid video skills at work... no laughing! :4rofl:

gogo

• Like! 1

Thanks for The birthday wishes guys, much appreciated! Didn't celebrate it big, don't care too much about that. :) I've been busy and will be for a while I think.

Just came back from a weekend in Antwerpen, Belgium actually. ;)

Edit:

Love the vid gogo, really cheerful :)

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

Some genuine Belgian pralines gogo ;)

We've been shopping, had drinks at a Beer Café on saturday night, and on sunday we visited the zoo, ate some special gourmet hamburgers and went to a museum in the harbor. Lovely weather that day too!

Edit: The Dutch auto-correct is driving me NUTS when I try typing in English lol

Edited by Timotheus
  • 2 weeks later...

I got two(2) job offers today...

With the first one I thought OK, large hotel, 300pax per seating, 3 seatings a day, for two restaurants, room service all day long, banqueting and functions, all of that out of ONE kitchen... Damn, and before I thought it, one of the group said (almost proudly) "we are a factory"... I'm not sure I want to do mass production things, the quality that I like doing takes a bit more time and effort and can be done for 90-120 pax, maybe more if I can have someone helping out with prep and service... I'll still consider, and might look at the place. It is situated in Cape Town, so I will need to move. But they complimented the desserts very much, and said they want that quality, and they also need a pastry chef who is passionate about their job...

The second one was tonight. It was the head chef from The Grande Roche Hotel situated in Paarl. He said he needs a pastry chef and can see that I enjoy what I do and asked how I would like to work with europeans, would I consider and if I want to go and view the property, I should let him know and he can give me "and my girlfriend a tour of the property and enjoy a meal" I was still so stunned at that stage, that I didn't correct him my Boyfriend is in New York...

So I am considering the possibilties of looking at other places who would want me, but I also enjoy my job at cuvee...

Delta!

• Like! 1

I got two(2) job offers today...

With the first one I thought OK, large hotel, 300pax per seating, 3 seatings a day, for two restaurants, room service all day long, banqueting and functions, all of that out of ONE kitchen... Damn, and before I thought it, one of the group said (almost proudly) "we are a factory"... I'm not sure I want to do mass production things, the quality that I like doing takes a bit more time and effort and can be done for 90-120 pax, maybe more if I can have someone helping out with prep and service... I'll still consider, and might look at the place. It is situated in Cape Town, so I will need to move. But they complimented the desserts very much, and said they want that quality, and they also need a pastry chef who is passionate about their job...

The second one was tonight. It was the head chef from The Grande Roche Hotel situated in Paarl. He said he needs a pastry chef and can see that I enjoy what I do and asked how I would like to work with europeans, would I consider and if I want to go and view the property, I should let him know and he can give me "and my girlfriend a tour of the property and enjoy a meal" I was still so stunned at that stage, that I didn't correct him my Boyfriend is in New York...

So I am considering the possibilties of looking at other places who would want me, but I also enjoy my job at cuvee...

Delta!

A great position you're in. Being offered positions, and sought... you are loved! :bounce: The first one sounds rather factory oriented, and I could see a burn out happening very fast... that second offer sounds very interesting. A personalized offer/pitch, and it even seems like you were tickled.

You're a commodity right now Theuns, it's an exciting time in your career...the stars are calling

gogo

Don't know much about cooking jobs. A former class mate runs a restaurant and I know that he had like 10 jobs all over europe to learn as much as possible. I think learning new stuff is a lot harder once you are the chef. He invites other chefs 3-4 times a year for a week and every second year he spends 3 weeks to return the visits to their places.

How is it in south africa - Can you do some skill enhancement for a longered weekend in a year at another place and are still paid? I still like to visit math conferences even if I am no longer an assistant teacher at university. You learn something new and even you can't use everything at your job, sometimes you can and it is a real win.

• Like! 1

In the hospitality industry it is important to learn as much as possible, so moving around and learning from as many sources as possible is kind off necessary.

Unfortunately chefs around here don't swop out for a week it two just to get experience. But it would be great if it was done!

I would love to go to Europe/America/Australia and work in some if the great kitchens there!

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

I am still a bit shocked. As long as I can remember I watched the bicycle race at first of may around Frankfurt live or at TV. The last 10 years we even visited the race livewith the whole family at a mountain slope where the bicycles are slow and longer to watch. We planed to do it again, 3 tandems and 3 race bicycles and doing a bicycle ride to the Taunus mountains north of Frankfurt (4 hours with the bicycles away, return via train).

And then radio, TV and internet are saying that police stormed a house today. The house was full of explosives and the person was watched to spy the location of the bike race...

We had a long discussion, my wife, older daughters and me... we will move to an animal park tomorrow and not to the bike race. My feeling said that I should watch the race, but with kids every thing changes towards the side of maximal savety.

A new article in english.

http://www.dw.de/german-police-prevent-terror-attack-paper-reports/a-18420942

I am still a bit shocked. As long as I can remember I watched the bicycle race at first of may around Frankfurt live or at TV. The last 10 years we even visited the race livewith the whole family at a mountain slope where the bicycles are slow and longer to watch. We planed to do it again, 3 tandems and 3 race bicycles and doing a bicycle ride to the Taunus mountains north of Frankfurt (4 hours with the bicycles away, return via train).

And then radio, TV and internet are saying that police stormed a house today. The house was full of explosives and the person was watched to spy the location of the bike race...

We had a long discussion, my wife, older daughters and me... we will move to an animal park tomorrow and not to the bike race. My feeling said that I should watch the race, but with kids every thing changes towards the side of maximal savety.

A new article in english.

http://www.dw.de/german-police-prevent-terror-attack-paper-reports/a-18420942

This is nuts!@ Why target a bike race?

:o

gogo

Same as why target the Boston Marathon...

The bicycle race was cancelled short after I posted it. Police couldn't guaranteed savety on the whole tour. We were visiting an animal park and a crystal cave instead of the race.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Sorry been away so long... On vacation down down with the family in bethesda.... Almost 90 degrees here hell yah better than montreal!

Be back next week and hopefully can get more access to a laptop which can help me post more and help you get the spam you so desire muahahahaha

• Like! 1