MF - *Chance to find magical items

Hi :butcher:

There is a way to test the "SB increase means super drops for a small time".

Make a non HC toon and get her/him a few lvls. Then get her/him some MF. Then made suicides on regular basis. Low SB increases more rapidly so with enough MF you will see the occasionally super drops quite often.

Sadly this method wont work for HC :bye:

CS.

• 1 month later...
Guest FrostElfTwin

"Great Drops" are something we as Sacred players really really want.

Why do we want them? 'Cause they are rare.

I had started on the SIF an idea that I wanted to map what set items dropped and from what monster mix/area-monster level/difficulty level.

At the time I was searching for a Thar Eross ring (one of the 7 Dwarven rings?)

I detailed the different items I found while harvesting at the Shaddar Rim church (North-Northwest of Zhurag-Nar portal).

I did get some repeats, but I found a vast range of different items there from char level 100 to 120(?).

This is going to be a very tricksy discussion 'cause the base chance of a set item is 8/1000. Lots of room for emotional response and first hand

experience to 'decide' things for us.

So, we need to discuss monsters first.

Here's my questionnaire for us to fill out

In order of most likely to least likely:

1) Energy Beings (ghosts) drop: nothing (most of the time), gold, a ring, an amulet, a potion, a rune, a set item, or a unique: Yes/No

2) Chests drop gold, nothing, an icon set item

3) Orc Chieftains drop: 4 or 5 of: gold, a potion, item, rune, set, unique

4) Shaddar-Rim--mount: 1 of: gold, potion, item

5) Shaddar-Rim Rider: 4 or 5 of: gold, potion, item, rune, set, unique.

The point of this is: monsters drop different stuff. They all have chances to drop stuff... some have very small chances.

Well kind of all know: head to goblin areas to hunt for runes. We all know: don't hunt for sets in chests. (Though apparently, some people have

found set items in chests).

Ascaron told us the best MF farming is on the dry river... specifically hunting bosses. More bosses over time=more chances of great stuff.

Also it has been said that RED enemies have higher chances of giving good drops. So, circle type might be a factor. Or not. I got Aarnum's Fiery

Blade off of a grey gargoyle in bronze in a cave near Hedgenton (IIRC--could've been somewhere else.)

One of the Greedy Dwarves posted that he got a unique every time from a mob in Niob. (Greed boosted mf > 3000?)

Bet he was hunting on the dry river bed!

Somewhere above someone posted something about SB. SB is one of the big boosters of MF. One 1/2 of SB is added into your chance to find sets/uniques.

Again, let's remember: even with say 300 MF, and 80% SB, we've got (300MF-->200% chance boost), 80%SB-->40% boost,

8*1.4*2.=22.4

22.4/1000 = 0.224% chance. = SLIM chance. for a set. Divide that by 8 for a unique.

Do it hundreds of times ( a gaming session) and you'll get a few sets and uniques.

re: Gogo's idea of danger: When in danger, you're generally facing a boss and his mob. About 10 chances for a set item right there. 20 if you've got 2 mobs.

• 2 months later...

hi ive been playing sacred for some time now and im really loving it and im learning almost everything there is in the game. I have a simple question though does the chance to find special items differ in multiplayer and singleplayer? coz when I played multiplayer (LAN to be specific) I feel that there's a less chance of set items and runes while in singleplayer runes almost drops every other minute and some set items I think I get two every hour that I play, the only thing that bugs me is that I get some set items over and over again for example dalmar's armor (set item for vampiress) dropped twice in a row and octanion's armor I think I got 3 in one sitting and uriel's and abdiel's set swords almost everytime. is this normal or am I just plain unlucky? lol

P.S. im playing Sacred plus ver 1.8.416 btw (maybe game version has something to do with it) and playing a lvl76 BM now and I can't find bm set items! hehehe

thanks!

lol wuzzy. I think it is normal aaaand that you are unlucky. :whip:

But in order to help you out I have joined your topic about magic find with an already existent discussion about it. as you might notice your post is now a part of the discussion so feel free to read through the discussion and uncover the joys of magic find. As for the question about LAN and MP(multiplayer) magic find I think they are the same. However.. Survival Bonus does play an important part of magic find. If you are playing a softcore character and that character dies then your Survival Bonus will be reset to 0% which is a very very bad thing if you want good magic find. The higher your Survival Bonus is the better your magic find will be.

As a side note magic find is most commonly referred to as MF. :whip:

I've been noticing something strange on my greed dwarf. I take him out to Khord on a regular basis and he gets crap. His base MF is over 1000 and greed brings it to over 1700. Every kill yields crap. Until.....

Once I take out D'cay then I start getting sets and uniques. I have tested this time and time again.

Hi :P

I am commonly overflowed with stuff (hehe ofc there are sometims bad periods too). IMHO the best method to get good stuff to depend on the quantity instead of a quantity or if you can mix them.

Find a cave - go in - kill - go out - kill outside - go in - repeat

Of course I am not speaking to overspawn or something (hehe but that 10x the effect) just find a way to quickly and easy replenish the enemies who are waiting to be killed. A dwarf shouldnt get (at least I didnt get) any problem this way.

CS.

hi!

I would like to share my opinion on mf.

I think some characters have a higher base mf than others.

in my experience in using seraphim, bm and glad they have a high chance of finding special items even without the +mf mod in using the other remaining chars they cant find anything better than the rare ones.

well just my 2cents. :evil:

• 3 weeks later...

A little minor thread necromancy on my first day.

MF and I are not speaking right now. I had been searching for Ettol's Bow since I first read about it on SIF. I had literally 10 of the rings, in various shades up through Platinum, but I had never found the bow. I had over +1000; most of my gear was picked just for MF. I had MF rings picked over damage rings .... it was just getting silly.

I finally gave up; chucked all the gear, socketed straight damage and +crit like in the old days, and gave up on ever getting Ettol's Bow.

I got it 20 minutes later. Off of a freakin' Brigand outside of Florentina. *shrugs* whatever.

Hey, you got it! :lol: Best bow in the game. The rings, as you noted, tend to come more often so you should get those fast. If you don't have them by Sunday, hit the Kamikazi. A lot of good item sharing in the hour warmup period. Someone will probably have a ring or three :D

Edit: Just saw you other post and see you mainly play SP. I highly recommend that you consider coming to MP hardcore (that's where the Kamikaze is.)

Edited by gial

Mf Can be tricky. Its like playing the Lottery Sometimes you hit and hit big sometimes not at all. My thoughts on it, are this and they seem to work as some of the others can attest to. A high SB% and a high MF% go hand in hand sure you might have some bad days we all do but your chances of getting something good are increased majorly.

• 1 month later...
Unique = BoniCreature/Boss + UB%/2 + Root(MagicFind*100)

Looking at the formula again.

I'm going to have another go at turning this German formula translated into English formula into Frosty words.

Chance of unique = [Creature Chance] Times [1/2 (Survival Bonus)] Times [square Root of (Magic Find% * 100)]

Note: I changed the "+" to " multiplied by ". Why? 'Cause I never remember getting a set item ever from a wolf. It's money or nothing with them.

If the creature chance is vanishingly small, then the drop chance of set or unique is vanishingly small. Regardless how big your MF is.

Does this bear out?

Wolf=0

Sakkara Demon = .2

Goblin = =.5

Quest = 1

Boss= 1.2

Whaddya think?

• 1 month later...

omg... While reading this thread something occurred to me that I've never considered with set and unique drops. It has been mentioned in the past and has been proven that set items can only drop if you are at or above the minimum requirement. I think it might be Frosty that knows much about this... Lately a member named syn has been documenting the ranges in levels that every set item can be found at. Basically a listing of every possible min/max level for every set item. Could it be that a major part of set and unique drop chance is dependent on whether your character level is within the range of possible min/max set/unique levels? Ok... That was kinda confusing I think but it's the best way I can put it for now, lol.

We know that for example the Thar Eross ring does not have a chance to drop until your character reaches level 35. We've always interpreted this as needing to reach the minimum level of the item in question. What if that isn't the case but rather the need is to be within the range of possible min/max levels of an item in question?

This could explain a lot about how the drop system works.

Lately a member named syn has been documenting the ranges in levels that every set item can be found at. Basically a listing of every possible min/max level for every set item. Could it be that a major part of set and unique drop chance is dependent on whether your character level is within the range of possible min/max set/unique levels?

Hi Schot, just to avoid confusion, I've been listing only all the possible levels set items have (wish I had more time to finish all the tables : ) )

Now regarding that Thar Eross Ring (the lowest possible minimum level is 34), you can get it from monsters with the level 34 at least or as a quest reward if your level is at least 34.

Unique = BoniCreature/Boss + UB%/2 + Root(MagicFind*100)

Looking at the formula again.

I'm going to have another go at turning this German formula translated into English formula into Frosty words.

Chance of unique = [Creature Chance] Times [1/2 (Survival Bonus)] Times [square Root of (Magic Find% * 100)]

Note: I changed the "+" to " multiplied by ". Why? 'Cause I never remember getting a set item ever from a wolf. It's money or nothing with them.

If the creature chance is vanishingly small, then the drop chance of set or unique is vanishingly small. Regardless how big your MF is.

Does this bear out?

Wolf=0

Sakkara Demon = .2

Goblin = =.5

Quest = 1

Boss= 1.2

Whaddya think?

close I think. One of the plus is really a plus though:

Chance of unique = [Creature Chance] Times ( [1/2 (Survival Bonus)] + [square Root of (Magic Find% * 100)] )

Lately a member named syn has been documenting the ranges in levels that every set item can be found at. Basically a listing of every possible min/max level for every set item. Could it be that a major part of set and unique drop chance is dependent on whether your character level is within the range of possible min/max set/unique levels?

Hi Schot, just to avoid confusion, I've been listing only all the possible levels set items have (wish I had more time to finish all the tables : ) )

Now regarding that Thar Eross Ring (the lowest possible minimum level is 34), you can get it from monsters with the level 34 at least or as a quest reward if your level is at least 34.

Ah thanx syn. I should have been more specific. My bad. :) The item drop is in fact based on the enemy level and not our own. As for wishing you had more time... That's the great thing about a wiki. No hurry at all. :o

@gial/Frosty:

I think I would agree that it would be a + and not x. As for the creature chance values you give Frosty it's very hard to say. I wouldn't know where to begin in order to put values to enemies. One though I would say though is that I'm sure some creatures would have 0.

sorry schot but cant belive that.

I got that a couple of times when killing a dragon when I am under level 19

Ah but the important point here is that it doesn't matter what level you are. What matters is the level of the enemy you kill. Enemy level determines item drop level and a Dragon will always be many levels above your level.

As an aside, quest rewards sometimes are items, and about 1/2 the time the quest item is an item it is a green item.

I going to interpret this as, gosh, hey! They get an item... but hey, the one they "rolled" is too high!...k. Give 'em junk then! Ok!

The quests I'm speaking of are the Bellevue through Mascarell quests --which in Bronze I'm very very familiar with. As a set, I could get a set item or a regular item just about anywhere. And... for quests, I've often received level 10 set items even at char level 1. So, perhaps the quests have a level of 10 at minimum?

• 7 years later...

I took some experince to figure out how to works the sb, mf, item find.

1. The item level is import if u reach the min level u have the bigger chance to get 1 green for your char. 6 around 20 34 45 70 90 and further. I saw these are the min and max level. Of course there are many green that u can't get at 6 and 34 level... Like Gladiator dalmar. And there are items that u can have beetwen the line. But these are the most important.

2. Doesnt matter your foe is bigger. Exemple: u kill in level 90 a 98 mini boss than u have the bigger chance to get a level 90 green for your char. I always get 2 3 green for my char in a row when I reached 70 and I killed a 5 10 bigger mini boss. Example I reached the level 90 and the 3 4 orc mini boss drop out a logar upper body.

3. If u kill in various area the chance is bigger again. Like u kill on orc cave and u go out run a round and kill. (this is the best) Or u go and use teleport and go in rim valley and back to orc cave.

4. DPS or killing speed. I tried out hard hit. 1 hit, 1 die even the mini boos. I go kill 50 100 mobs/mini bos and I got nothing only money and few crap. I tried whit attack and it worked. (Attack dont hit that much like hard hit. U need 4 5 hit to kill the mob) I got 5 6 items from mini boss/mobs even green. So it is wierd but item find depends on dps/killing speed too.

5. If u make char and u can't handle properly or you're char not balanced in the situation u have less chance to get green. I saw many time when I tried a new build and I scrude up.

6. There is a point when your char get slowly level up and u get in a level more green. This is around 90 so dont be disapointed if u keep working u will get the set what u need.

Edited by nandi
  • Like! 1

I took some experince to figure out how to works the sb, mf, item find.

1. The item level is import if u reach the min level u have the bigger chance to get 1 green for your char. 6 around 20 34 45 70 90 and further. I saw these are the min and max level. Of course there are many green that u can't get at 6 and 34 level... Like Gladiator dalmar. And there are items that u can have beetwen the line. But these are the most important.

2. Doesnt matter your foe is bigger. Exemple: u kill in level 90 a 98 mini boss than u have the bigger chance to get a level 90 green for your char. I always get 2 3 green for my char in a row when I reached 70 and I killed a 5 10 bigger mini boss. Example I reached the level 90 and the 3 4 orc mini boss drop out a logar upper body.

3. If u kill in various area the chance is bigger again. Like u kill on orc cave and u go out run a round and kill. (this is the best) Or u go and use teleport and go in rim valley and back to orc cave.

4. DPS or killing speed. I tried out hard hit. 1 hit, 1 die even the mini boos. I go kill 50 100 mobs/mini bos and I got nothing only money and few crap. I tried whit attack and it worked. (Attack dont hit that much like hard hit. U need 4 5 hit to kill the mob) I got 5 6 items from mini boss/mobs even green. So it is wierd but item find depends on dps/killing speed too.

5. If u make char and u can't handle properly or you're char not balanced in the situation u have less chance to get green. I saw many time when I tried a new build and I scrude up.

6. There is a point when your char get slowly level up and u get in a level more green. This is around 90 so dont be disapointed if u keep working u will get the set what u need.

Thanks for helping out with the write up Nandi

And welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

As an aside, quest rewards sometimes are items, and about 1/2 the time the quest item is an item it is a green item.

one easy way to get green items is doing quests. the more quests you do the more green items you get. but...it must be within one session. the questcounter was saved by the MP-Server, so I don't know how this works in SP (will the counter reset if you change the char or if you leave the game). this mechanics was verified by the developers! ;)

Edit: *umpf* sorry, forget this Post for Sacred / Underworld...thought this thread was for Sacred 2...

Edited by Dorimil

Hm... There are some trick that u can use. Example u did the all of the skill quest in mp comperativa or in Underworld campign, and save before u take the rewards.

What is the point? u can change the difficulty and load the saved games in MP too.

Example: I did all of the skill reward in bronze. bounty hunt, become the true warior, rembrance, free the slaves, free the hakus missing brother, missing child. I saved before pick up. And whoale when I reached level 60 I changed to silver and gold and I picked up in 5minits 28 skill point and 6 atri points.

In this way u can play on mp in cooperative mode, but yeah they save. In this case u can't get the quest again. I think we can try to do bellevau quest and if u made all of them than just quit and restart like the icon set... thats mean 10 quest may be. 3 round 25 - 30. It may have the chance to get 1 or more.

Edited by nandi
  • 5 years later...

Hello:bye:

Pretty new Member here. I read through this thread for me being curious about wether or not there is a difference between magic find and chance to find valuables. Still not sure, hovering over the little plus sign when equipping stuff with both modifiers suggests no since both add up to the same stat, but maybe that's just a lazy displaying thing and there is an actual difference. It might also be worth noting that both are called "chance, besondere gegenstände zu finden" in german, maybe it's just that there are two different translations.

I can share some of my tricks though, since I'm currently working on a project where I need lots and lots of items - don't want to spoil too much cause it would be bad if I announced something and weren't able to do it:

-Every time you kill anducar (the human, not the demon) you get a guaranteed item thats either unique or a set - at least in niob, has been quite some time since I killed him last in other difficulties since I'm usually only doing ancaria campaign until I reach niob. You can simply make a save right before you kill him in a multiplayer campaign and simply reload with any character you'd like to get better equipped.

-If you want to farm items via quests, like nandi explained, there is another trick to do it quicker: quicksaving/loading does not close windows, so you can

1. quicksave right before you speak to somebody about to be giving you your quest reward,

2. speak to him,

3. quicksave,

4. repeat from step two until there are like 20+ windows (of course not visible because they're all exactly above each other just looking like one window)

5. once you're satisfied, click ok and immediately get a huge amount of items

I learned this technique from a speedrunner, he has videos on youtube, couldn't find them anymore although I'm pretty sure they're still out there somewhere. This is of course an exploit, I'd say the anducar method is a little bit cleaner. I mean you're still abusing the loading system, especially when doing it in bronce and loading in niob, but you first have to complete the underworld campaign at least once.

-There is a pretty nice guide here in the forum for muling in all difficulties:

On 8/17/2007 at 12:10 PM, Nihilith said:

Mules

Muling in single player mode

It's quite simple once you know how. Let's explain it all with an exemple.

Your battle mage got a nice set piece for a wood elf. You'd really like your WE to own it. Power is just some steps away.

1 – Start a multiplayer campaign game with your BM (if you can't start a multiplayer game, see the section : XIV Technical help on page 31).

2 – Drop the item on the floor

3 – Save the game sith a nice name such as : Uber-super-WE item

4 – Quit (do not export the char)

5 – Create a multiplayer campaign game with your WE using the load option. Load the Uber-super-WE item game

6 – Pick the item

7 – Quit without saving.

Your WE own the item, and the saved game is still here, with the item, as you didn't saved it after picking it.

It's that easy.

Tip :

Get a high level character. Use the savegame trick but instead of dropping one item, drop all your gold, runes and items. Save the game. Pick the items back to your toon. Exit the game. You got a lot of money, runes and items for all your starting characters. You got new items, new runes. Load the game, drop them, save, pick them back up, exit. More stuff for the starting toons. Isn't multiplayer a bless ?

Links :

Prism's SP Masterguide

Muling in all difficulty levels

As said in a previous chapter about game difficulty, one char cannot cover all the levels. So, to be able to mule from any char to any other char, you'll need 2 mules. One must be level 60 (Bronze – Silver – Gold) and the other must be level 140 (Gold – Platinum – Niobium). To transfer an item or rune from a level 140+ char to a level 1, you'll follow this method :

Mule from level 140+ char to level 140 mule in niobium

Mule from level 140 mule to level 60 mule in gold

Mule from level 60 mule to level 1 char in bronze

That's a lot of steps, but the only way to get it working.

Back to TOC - Next article

you can use the same trick to duplicate items, especially things like jewelry, just by starting another multiplayer game after step 7 and immediately quitting and loading the "Uber-super-WE item" save again. But beware - often I'm loading a multiplayer savegame, not all items on the ground are loaded correctly and some items are missing. Simply quitting and reloading again between steps 5 and 6 works for me. You can lose a lot of items if you're not aware.

Most of this stuff might already be well known, thought I'd share it anyways.

But I'm still interested in the difference between mf and chance to find valuables, My highest chance to find valuables char currently is a 2244 bm with no mf but high sb simply for the purpose of testing the difference, since I use the anducar trick to farm stuff, yet there is only one thing thing I noticed: chance to find valuables does not seem to do very much when killing dragons or the Subkari, at least in my experience. Maybe mf does? Also the thing is you can get mf only via skills or set boni and chance to find valuables only as an item modifier. There are just so many things that suggest there is a difference and so many things that suggest the opposite that I'm really unsure:dntknw:

• Thanks! 1