MF - *Chance to find magical items

On 9/12/2020 at 2:35 PM, Lindor said:

Hello:bye:

Pretty new Member here. I read through this thread for me being curious about wether or not there is a difference between magic find and chance to find valuables. Still not sure, hovering over the little plus sign when equipping stuff with both modifiers suggests no since both add up to the same stat, but maybe that's just a lazy displaying thing and there is an actual difference. It might also be worth noting that both are called "chance, besondere gegenstände zu finden" in german, maybe it's just that there are two different translations.

I can share some of my tricks though, since I'm currently working on a project where I need lots and lots of items - don't want to spoil too much cause it would be bad if I announced something and weren't able to do it:

-Every time you kill anducar (the human, not the demon) you get a guaranteed item thats either unique or a set - at least in niob, has been quite some time since I killed him last in other difficulties since I'm usually only doing ancaria campaign until I reach niob. You can simply make a save right before you kill him in a multiplayer campaign and simply reload with any character you'd like to get better equipped.

-If you want to farm items via quests, like nandi explained, there is another trick to do it quicker: quicksaving/loading does not close windows, so you can

1. quicksave right before you speak to somebody about to be giving you your quest reward,

2. speak to him,

3. quicksave,

4. repeat from step two until there are like 20+ windows (of course not visible because they're all exactly above each other just looking like one window)

5. once you're satisfied, click ok and immediately get a huge amount of items

I learned this technique from a speedrunner, he has videos on youtube, couldn't find them anymore although I'm pretty sure they're still out there somewhere. This is of course an exploit, I'd say the anducar method is a little bit cleaner. I mean you're still abusing the loading system, especially when doing it in bronce and loading in niob, but you first have to complete the underworld campaign at least once.

-There is a pretty nice guide here in the forum for muling in all difficulties:

you can use the same trick to duplicate items, especially things like jewelry, just by starting another multiplayer game after step 7 and immediately quitting and loading the "Uber-super-WE item" save again. But beware - often I'm loading a multiplayer savegame, not all items on the ground are loaded correctly and some items are missing. Simply quitting and reloading again between steps 5 and 6 works for me. You can lose a lot of items if you're not aware.

Most of this stuff might already be well known, thought I'd share it anyways.

But I'm still interested in the difference between mf and chance to find valuables, My highest chance to find valuables char currently is a 2244 bm with no mf but high sb simply for the purpose of testing the difference, since I use the anducar trick to farm stuff, yet there is only one thing thing I noticed: chance to find valuables does not seem to do very much when killing dragons or the Subkari, at least in my experience. Maybe mf does? Also the thing is you can get mf only via skills or set boni and chance to find valuables only as an item modifier. There are just so many things that suggest there is a difference and so many things that suggest the opposite that I'm really unsure:dntknw:

Great, helpful first post... this has got to be the best Community in the galaxy... welcome to DarkMatters lindor!

:)

gogo

On 9/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, gogoblender said:

Great, helpful first post... this has got to be the best Community in the galaxy... welcome to DarkMatters lindor!

:)

gogo

Thank you for your kindness, I'm feeling welcome here:yay:

Oh yes this community seems to be great, the sheer amount of work put into things like the cm-patch or s2ee... it's glorious:resp:

About mf vs valuables, I have now also access to a max level greed dwarf with the full thar eross set. Having farmed now for days with five different characters with and without mf, I think I now see the difference: mf not only increases the "level" of the loot but also greatly increases the amount dropped with each kill - my dwarf gets consistently 7-9 items per cerebropod, highest amount yet was 11 with a single kill, while my bm only gets like a maximum of 4 items, sometimes even none per kill. Unfortunately the dps of my dwarf is not very high so it's not really worth it for me, in terms of loot per second my thorwyns vampire using a variation of csaszar's:

darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4039-the-unorthodox-vampire/

probably has the best farming rate yet.:)

There's one more thing I wonder about: do the items you already have in your inventory, equipped, in your chest or even on other characters have an influence on what drops? E.g. your missing only one piece of a set, does it make that item drop more or less likely? There was once a rumor that the number of scrolls in your inventory makes it more or less likely to drop scrolls from bookstands, maybe this is also true for sets and uniques? This would maybe make it worth keeping sets you care about in your inventory or to equip them... or to drop them somewhere in a muling world, depending on how it works.

36 minutes ago, Lindor said:

Thank you for your kindness, I'm feeling welcome here:yay:

Oh yes this community seems to be great, the sheer amount of work put into things like the cm-patch or s2ee... it's glorious:resp:

Thats a HUGE number of people over soooo many years... we still have devs who are working with it @dimitrius154 and @Flix

:viking:

gogo