Firefox, Addons and Themes

bhj

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving fire fox 4 as well. It is really slick and very fast.

Gogo you are right about Noia I was shocked there wasnt an add on for it ready yet so I went with Nuvola 1.9.9 pretty close to Noia! :D

p.s.: IS there a way to put all the tabs at the bottom like they where in the previous version of fire fox they are way to high for my taste the way they are set up now.

I am loving fire fox 4 as well. It is really slick and very fast.

Gogo you are right about Noia I was shocked there wasnt an add on for it ready yet so I went with Nuvola 1.9.9 pretty close to Noia! :D

That sounds awesome Kat, do you have a link for that theme?

p.s.: IS there a way to put all the tabs at the bottom like they where in the previous version of fire fox they are way to high for my taste the way they are set up now.

lol first thing I looked for! righ tclick on the star in the addy bar to the right and you will see a drop down menu... you can toggle the display...the one for this functionality is tabs on top

:)

gogo

I have been using FF4 since I created my Windows partition a few weeks back (it was still in beta then). Are there any real changes, other than just cosmetic?

Dont know if there are any changes I got it as soon as it was a final version didnt download the beta.

By the way is there a way to put the open in a new tab second or better said below open in a new window. I end up opening everything in a new window. In the old firefox it was second from top now its first and I do the right click scroll to the second position in the pop up menu on instinct. If there isnt an option it will take some time to get used to and a lot of nerves lost.

Dont know if there are any changes I got it as soon as it was a final version didnt download the beta.

By the way is there a way to put the open in a new tab second or better said below open in a new window. I end up opening everything in a new window. In the old firefox it was second from top now its first and I do the right click scroll to the second position in the pop up menu on instinct. If there isnt an option it will take some time to get used to and a lot of nerves lost.

I just middle-click (using the mouse wheel) to open links in new tabs.

Edited by lujate

Gogo: Yep. Personas only change the backrounds of upper and lower partition of the window.

For some reason I like it that way. :P And the default buttons of 4 are to my liking too. ^^

Kat: I've hear that there's from very little to none changes from RC to final.

Looks like I can still have the old menubar from the previous version tweaking the settings.. Dunno about those tabs. They're fine for me where they are.

Lujate: Weird... So was that with the final version? I haven't experienced any bugs with it for what I've used it today. First start was tad slow, but other than that, all's good.

Guys when I type in words in my addy bar, instead of it using google to search,l I get a strange message

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at jar:file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/omni.jar!/chrome/en-US/locale/browser-region/region.propertiesnuvola.

Is there any way to make the addy bar a google search bar? Then this way I can get rid of the google search window on the right

gogo

Guys when I type in words in my addy bar, instead of it using google to search,l I get a strange message

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at jar:file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/omni.jar!/chrome/en-US/locale/browser-region/region.propertiesnuvola.

Is there any way to make the addy bar a google search bar? Then this way I can get rid of the google search window on the right

gogo

I did not even know you could do that. I tried it to look up your error, and it works for me.

I found this link that mentions a similar error, it blames extensions.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

Blam, that's awesome Lujate, thank you for doing that research. However...do I really have to do all that work? Can't I just... get rid of my fire fox and reinstall fresh?

gogo

Blam, that's awesome Lujate, thank you for doing that research. However...do I really have to do all that work? Can't I just... get rid of my fire fox and reinstall fresh?

gogo

I am pretty much making this up as I go, so YMMV.

If you hit ALT and select Help=>Restart with Add-ons Disabled... does it work then?

Edit:

I do not know if anyone has already mentioned this, but FF allows you to create your own searches that operate out of the address bar. I had found this some time back, but just remembered it tonight.

You just right-click on a search box on any website and select Add a Keyword for this Search. You assign it a shortcut and it is saved in your bookmarks. I have one each for the forum (shortcut "dm") and the wiki (shortcut "sw"). I can type "dm undead legion" and search the forums for "Undead Legion". "sw undead legion" does the same for the wiki. :cool:

Edited by lujate

well, I just did your suggestion and it dropped me into a mode where I could click off all the settings and run in safe mode. I clicked everything off, and ff went to being naked...from there I just entered any word into the address bar and instead of it searching for that word via google (its supposed to do that right ?) it instead gave me that error message.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to dig down into that FF profile and reset from there.

:blink:

gogo

I was going to suggest that you back up your bookmarks and write down all of your Add-ons, but in FF4 I cannot see how you can back up your bookmarks. In prior versions, it was available under Organize Bookmarks, but I do not see that option.

Come here you lujate u for a big hug...stop squirming!

:hug:

We had to get right down to rooting out all the mozilla out of my system, and Schot gave me some search tips for getting into the nooks and crannies. New FF 4 is up and going, and... addy bar is primed with Google Force!~

:bounce:

gogo

How do you like the pink-bee theme for firefox?

Our second daughter (who sadly is still at a hospital 500 kilometres away for some more weeks) claimed that she couldn't work with her netbook in the school library. The library is the only room with WLAN internet access. We live countryside and so she has to us bus and train to go to school, with a nasty 90 minutes gap between school-end and train-arrival. So she normally tries to do most of her homework in this time.

She said she had allways to put the netbook in her backpack when she had to stand up to get some books, if not boys would use it to surf in internet.

So I carved the head of her dog on the front plate of the netbook using a CAD system at work, painted the netbook in a very girlish pink and my wife searched for real killer-themes and skins for several applications.

Themes and skins a boy would never touch, like the pink-bee in the video.

Who of you is using is using killer-themes too? Sisters you don't want to have at your computer, brothers, parents, ... Anyone is using a theme to scare people away?

Edited by chattius

Lujate: Hrm... I was kinda looking the start menu. Dunno, why my FF4 lost it. Wasn't where it should've been. Tried to second click, tagged menubar, and voilá! The ol' good menubar. Then just shuffled to bookmarks --> show all bookmarks --> backup bookmarks.

Just wondering, if some "missfits" of sorts happen 'cause I still have the newest version of FF3 installed parallel. Had some troubles with 4's betas, so I swore I'd keep 3 around 'till I was absolutely sure it works as it should. :P

chattius: Boys be boys... But looks like that hit the spot. I'd wager dem kinds got cuteness-overdose, which serves 'em right. :P

Usually only I use this comp. So no need to scare people away. Though I sometimes sport with shocking backgrounds from some animes or such. (Yeah, I'm an anime junkie hands down) xD

Gogo do you have the InstantFox add on installed?

Its in the FF4 top10 collection list.

it helps you make searches in the address bar and not just with Google.

Search via your address bar with shortcuts - e.g. simply enter:

» g search word « to search with Google (instant results appear as you type!)

g » Google (or try "I" or "m")

e » eBay

a » Amazon

y » Youtube

w » Wikipedia

c » Calculator

f » Weather

@lujate naaa if you got beta 9 or above just chek for updates and install :)

@gogo if you set google as default search engine your problem should go away

as for addons heres a few that get installed quite fast at this end anyway :heart: :heart: :heart:

254.png

ColorZilla

846.png

NoScript

13530.png

Adblock Plus

51401.png

FireGestures

9395.png

Download Statusbar

25993.png

Video DownloadHelper

9463.png

Greasemonkey

• 3 weeks later...

I may be late to the party on this one, but I just discovered that Sacred Wiki has an FF Search Engine. I can now search Sacred without having to go to the wiki page. :thumbsup:

I may be late to the party on this one, but I just discovered that Sacred Wiki has an FF Search Engine. I can now search Sacred without having to go to the wiki page. :thumbsup:

Lujate do you mean the top Search box on the left of the screen? Is that what you mean?

gogo

Lujate do you mean the top Search box on the left of the screen? Is that what you mean?

gogo

In FF, just to the right of the address bar is a search box and a drop-down list of search engines. It is part of FF, not on any web page.

• 2 weeks later...

And its finally here and it looks as good as ever. :D

Gogo you are going to like this!

Noia 4 (scroll down on the page theres a link to the newest 1.1.8.1)

Noia 4 Options

Looks as good as ever :D

Kat, u just made mah day mate. I have been waiting for this interminably since the change. I just got it going, and the world has returned to some decent level of sanity.

Thank you!

gogo