Cool fx

Lindor

40 minutes ago, Methatronc said:

I still don't know where FX_GEN_MANALEACH is located

I don't understand. There is no FX_GEN_MANALEACH object, so there is also no single FX_GEN_MANALEACH file. FX stands for effects which is plural. FX consist of multiple parts, multiple VFX and SFX all working together. The string "FX_GEN_MANALEACH" is just like a key which tells the game which parts to trigger. All particle scripts have a corresponding FX name but not all FX have a particle script. FX_GEN_MANALEACH is just a hardcoded bunch of effects that trigger on regeneration per hit events, it does not have a particle script. From the set of all FX in the game, take only the subset of FX that contain VFX and from that take only the subset of FX that contain VFX that are not hardcoded, these are the FX that have particle scripts and these scripts only work for the not hardcoded VFX part of the FX. Also one image can be used by multiple FX strings. And FX strings aren't unique to one spell either. You can assign one FX string to multiple spells and it will still work fine, in fact even Vanilla spells.txt does this frequently.

Btw if you don't know what an object or a string is in Lua and want to know, please ask someone else or google it because I have no idea on how to explain that. These things exist in my mind on a very abstract level, I can't give any examples because there's nothing in the real world relating to it.

1 hour ago, Methatronc said:

but from what you say I'll just try different hex values if none of the existing unused ones you highlighted in another topic suits the custom spells. (...) I'll come back to show the results if it works :)

You've caught my interest, I'm curious for what you have in mind:)

Thank you for this very detailed answer, it's good to have what I thought confirmed !

I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, there's just something inside me that wants to understand everything and wants that everybody else understands everything. I really really hate misunderstandings or unclear formulations, so I tend to write all my thoughts out. If I could help you understanding FX just a little bit better or if somebody catches a flaw in my thoughts and helps me understanding FX better, that would give me great pleasure.

have a good day

You too!:D

• Thanks! 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I tend to make a lot of guesses and false assumptions, but I never stop working on it until there's no doubt anymore, even if it takes me two years:D

On 12/3/2021 at 8:04 AM, Lindor said:

--1 year later --

FOUND IT!!:yay: It's FX_SKELETONFEAR

It's not FX_SKELETONFEAR. I found that out soon after posting that. FX_SKELETONFEAR just looks pretty similar, but I recolorized the Terus FX green (I did that actually over a year ago) and when I enabled my mod again, I noticed that the color of the FX doesn't change while the one of the Terrus area did change.

How was I able to recolorize it in the first place? Well, there's an image in the fx folder called ghost.jpg. Usually non-gradient images are named after their FX. So I tested FX_GHOST. It crashed my game, meaning that FX_GHOST should actually exist. Testing non-existent FX doesn't do anything. So from there the most logical conclusion was that it's FX_GHOST.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:20 AM, Lindor said:

These are not all fx existing though. I know there is FX_GHOST which is actually what I was searching for in the Cool FX topic. I discovered that shortly after I thought I had discovered the FX with FX_SKELETONFEAR, but it just looks pretty similar. FX_GHOST is not meant to be cast upon a player and immediately crashes the game if attempted to do so.

Well, turns out that's not true either.

While testing a lot of FX for a TG spell I'm currently working on, I aslo tested FX_BLUE1. It had two effects:

1. A streetlamp similar effect (FX_SIMPLELIGHT and their kinds)
  2. Some ghostly effect

The spellclass I'm using is the Doppelgaenger's, and the green ghostly stuff looks pretty similar to the standard doppel casting FX. I thought that somehow using FX_BLUE1 triggered the spellclass to trigger a less advanced version of the Doppel's casting FX (I've seen this before).

But it's FX_BLUE1! No doubt anymore!

On 12/2/2021 at 4:39 AM, Lindor said:

particle scripts: none
corresponding names: FX_BLUE1
notes: I think I have tested this earlier and it crashed my game. now that I found a spellclass that works with nearly all FX, cSpellHeFeuerball, it works perfectly fine.
screenshot example:
qn4SKps.jpg

Turns out these FX look pretty differently if used on the TG than on the HE:
vRJPo1A.jpeg
But there's no doubt it's the FX I'm looking for. This is what it looks like in the Terus Area:
d5w57Rt.jpeg
You can only see part 1 if you position your char and the camera so that the tree is inbetween the Camera and your char so it becomes transparent. So yeah, now we know. I still don't know why it looks so different when used by HE, maybe it depends on it being used as casting or spell FX or maybe it has to do with the bones of the model the FX are applied to or the spellcontroltype, no idea. And I also lost the explanation to why FX_GHOST crashes the game.

One more thing: Part 1 of the FX always fires straight into heaven while part 2 follows the orientation of the model at the time when the FX are fired. Since the front of the TG's cannon arm is actually the back of it's model, it fires backwards, similar to how FX_LIGHTSABRE1/2/3/4 behave.

6 minutes ago, Lindor said:

maybe it depends on it being used as casting or spell FX or maybe it has to do with the bones of the model the FX are applied to or the spellcontroltype

All of these can factor into it.  Even something as simple as the animation the caster uses can make a given FX perfectly appropriate, or useless.  Spellclass can also essentially accept or reject certain FX.  That's why I would gently advise never to state definitively what does and doesn't work, lest one fall into the trap of thinking that something will always look and perform the same way across the board.  The game is not that kind or logical.  :D

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I remember you saying a while back that I had recolored skeletonfear in EE and thinking "I don't remember doing that."  :blink:

• Thanks! 1