General discussion/queries

I don't know whether this is allowed, but there are a number of questions which arise which are not worth a thread.

I note comments in other threads on vocabulary and brand name problems?

And questions like:

Can I ask if you have Tabasco sauce in the US?

Do you have access to basic curry spices?

What on earth is .......?

For instance, so that I know whether to post certain types of recipe. So many products are known by brand names which are not known elsewhere or are attached to different products. Nothing to do with the kitchen (I hope) but try asking for Durex in GB and in Australia - not the same thing by far!

So I thought a general info thread might be of value.

What do you think? :D

Edited by Bondbug

Tabasco sauce is indeed very common here in the US, in fact the brand has a huge product line that extends far beyond their original classic hot sauce. I rarely sample them because I don't care for the type of heat tabasco chilis give - I'm a cayenne kind of girl (and have 8 fresh ones growing outside right now!). I see Tabasco Sauce often in recipes, but luckily for me the measurements seem to convert equally between both types of hotsauce (Louisiana hot sauce is the cayenne equivalent of tabasco in my kitchen).

So would general terminology differences fall into the scope of this thread too, as opposed to actual brand names? I watch a lot of Britcoms and for years had been hearing occasional references to 'fairy cakes' - I finally tried to dig up a recipe not to long ago and was incredibly disappointed to find out that it's just a plain old cupcake!

I watch a lot of Britcoms and for years had been hearing occasional references to 'fairy cakes' - I finally tried to dig up a recipe not to long ago and was incredibly disappointed to find out that it's just a plain old cupcake!

:4rofl: but they do have wings!...yeah they are kind of boring little cakes, the things kids make at school to torture you with! 'Is it really nice Mom, I made them in cookery today'.....'Yeah...*choke* delicious' hehe

So would general terminology differences fall into the scope of this thread too, as opposed to actual brand names?
Carolyn

Yes. Very much so, and any straightforward query? Like 'what temperature would I set the oven to bake my head so that it is rare inside and crackly on the outside?'

Fairy cakes - Oh wow. Shades of school cooking classes. dead right Erialc. :4rofl:

What about curry spices, haldi (turmeric), coriander, cummin ? Can you get them? And chapati flour?

Yes Carolyn, I would include any general background info.

And conversational remarks like ' you seem dead keen on hot spicy stuff over there!'

Edited by Bondbug

Cups!...Carolyn and all you other Americans we have out there, is there a definative measurment for cupsin your recipes? I did buy a set of metal 'cup' measures some years ago but I am not sure if they are acurrate. This is an example of a recipe with cups....

2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup chilled lard or frozen nonhydrogenated solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

5 tablespoons (or more) ice water

and ack I am not at home so I can't drag out the measuring cups I have to see whats written on them LOL

This is a very good thread idea congrats on the idea of setting it up. Here in the states ( although I am Canadian) most of the food between Canada and the States are the same. But things from England like Bangers for breakfast ( sorry if I did not spell that correctly) and Haggus ( same quote *lol*) from Scotland are foreign to us and if I can find the components to make it I love to experiment ( well maybe not haggus )

Bangers are just sausages, any type. 'Bangers & mash'

Haggis sounds terrible, but if you forget the sheep's stomach as a container (which might have been the best they could do in the 18th century or so) , then its just another sausage filling. Same as some French paté mixes but with lots of oatmeal added. Can give you a recipe if you like. I can put it in a separate thread.

There are lots of different curries available over here - I've never actually cooked with it I'm afraid, so can't be more specific. Turmeric, coriander, and cumin are common (lol, I think I have at least 3 jars of cumin in my spice cupboard right now for chili making). I've never seen or heard of chapati flour, if you can give me a better idea of where it's from or what it is (in case it's marketed under a different name) I can check for it. Heh, I'm all aquiver with excitement, because Saturday I'm headed down to the "big city" to drop my son off for his summer visit with his father. While I'm there I'll be hitting all the wonderful specialty markets I miss so much now that I live in a smaller town.

erialc - a cup is 8 ounces (240ml), which as we all know is different depending on whether they're solid or fluid (liquid) ounces. You're not alone in this question, I had to laugh when a quick check for something else (the flour comment that follows) turned up this website. Your recipe looks like one for baked goods though - flour in baking should always be measured by weight and not by volume. That removes the uncertainty in the end product that results from the changes in volume caused by things like humidity. Remind me if I ever mention finding the box in my garage that has all my cookbooks, and I'll see if his book lists a general conversion guideline for recipes that give flour amounts in volumes.

My turn - what the heck is "bubble and squeak" and "toad in the hole" (or something like that)

. . . flour in baking should always be measured by weight and not by volume.

I must disagree. "Cup" is a volume measurement, as is fluid ounce; 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces.

An "ounce" is a weight measurement.

A fluid ounce is the volume that 1 ounce (weight [= 1/16 of 1 pound]) of water occupies at standard temperature and pressure.

Because 1 ounce of water occupies 1 fluid ounce of volume, for most liquids the terms are often used interchangeably.

And as for humidity affecting flour, I suspect the weight would be much more variable due to absorbed moisture than the volume, but this is speculation on my part.

My turn - what the heck is "bubble and squeak" and "toad in the hole" (or something like that)

Though the terms are used in the UK, they are known here (in Australia) bubble and squeak are left over vegetables fried up (well thats what I have been told) and toad in the hole is simply sausages coated in batter and deep fried.

A cup measurement in Australia is 250ml

Edited by Funkified

Your are right Cariolyn it was for a pie crust hehe chances are even if I knew the exact measure it'd still be good to sole someones boots! Thanks for the link I've book marked it for future reference! instead of my usual guesstimates :P

'Toad in the hole'...It's sausage cooked in Yorkshire Pudding, which is a kind of thick battery consistancy but it's cooked in the oven. Theres some Yorkshire pud here and bubble and squeak is the perfect dish for leftovers after a sunday roast.

Mashed potatoes (largely potatoes) and fried up vegies usually cabbage. Actually I can't stand it I have memories of this culinary horror from childhood and it never fails to make me shudder, in Ireland it's called Colcanon and is just as horrible in either the English or Irish versions LOL. But Champ on the other hand is delicious! It's still mash but with Spring onions in it instead of cabbage. It's great that even across the globe there are some dishes that are recognisable to us all. hehe is Bubble and Squeak also a bit of a horror in Australia too Funkified?

Bubble & squeak - not exactly 'haut cuisine' but a fried egg on it helps, and maybe a bit of bacon. Some might prefer half a gallon of ketchup on it.

'Cup'. My dictionary gives it as N.Amer (in cookery) a standard measure of liquid or dry capacity equal to half a US pint (0.237 litre or 8.33 British fluid oz).

Wish I hadn't looked it up!!

Edited by Bondbug
I must disagree. "Cup" is a volume measurement, as is fluid ounce; 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces.

An "ounce" is a weight measurement.

Good catch! It was late so I phrased that completely wrong, I should have just left it at "use a scale not a cup."

I also agree, weight measurements do seem more prone to differences from things like humidity. I've always assumed it was because different moisture levels made the flour pack looser or tighter in the measuring cup, but I could very well be wrong. Now I really have to dig those cookbooks up!

Just come out of the bar. I know it seems stupid to you lot, but please define the US use of the term 'cookies'.

:P

I know it is used in Scotland, but not necessarily the same.

I have enough problems with 'gateau' and 'biscuits' in France! :P

Very good question! If my understanding is correct, our cookies are the equivalent of the British biscuits, while our biscuits are a doughier fluffier equivalent of British scones. lol, and while I'm here, our chips are the equivalent of British crisps, and British chips are our fries (or french fries). Hmmmm, makes me wonder what our muffins would be - fairy scones perhaps :4rofl:

There's a recipe which includes 'Bell Pepper' and 'Flour tortilla'. Can you tell me what is nthe significance of the words I underlined. I thought all tortillas were made with flour?

And lay off the fairy-cakes, I like them - if the cream is good, and they were not made at school.

Did you get a recipe Carolyn or would you like me to volunteer for erialc to post the recipe in a new thread? :whistle:

I must be thick, I only just saw where the name erialc comes from. :rolleyes:

And since I am on, what happened to....

Heh, maybe tomorrow I'll tell you all how to eat a Ho-Ho, Ding Dong, or Twinkie, then again there's always the classic question of "how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"

:)

Edited by Bondbug
  • 2 weeks later...
There's a recipe which includes 'Bell Pepper' and 'Flour tortilla'.

And since I am on, what happened to....

1) Bell peppers are "sweet" peppers, as opposed to chili peppers.

2) Nope, lots of tortillas over here are made with corn (such as those used to make taco shells, taco chips, toastada shells).

3) Oh don't get me wrong, I love fairy cakes / cupcakes - it's just that cupcakes are rather common and mundane over here, and fairy cakes sounded exciting and exotic until I found out what they were.

4) I went on vacation instead (and didn't eat a single hoho, twinkie or ding-dong) :cow_white:

Carolyn

lots of tortillas over here are made with corn

Nit-picking. So he was refering to wheat flour rather that maize flour?

Yes, nit-picking, I know what it is you call 'corn' and the term is in fairly general use over here now, and I have used 'cornflour' all my life without really thinking what it was.

But I was taught that 'corn' was the general term which covers all cereals, wheat, barley, oats, maize, and I still occasionally get confused or pig-headed whichever you prefer! :)

I am not sure if we get maize flour here - better ask the boss. I think the Cornflour we have is too fine for what you are talking of. We use it for blancmange, and thickening for white sauces.

Hope the hols went well - where to this time (if I may ask)?

Edited by Bondbug
I am not sure if we get maize flour here - better ask the boss. I think the Cornflour we have is too fine for what you are talking of.

Hope the hols went well - where to this time (if I may ask)?

Almost certainly - try looking for something called cornmeal rather than cornflour. Quite often (at least here) you can find different degrees of coarseness.

They were lovely thanks, I took a tour of Michigan's lovely Upper Peninsula and in the course of my journeying got to see (the best) 3 of the 5 "great lakes." Had I taken a 30 mile extra step the first day I could have seen a 4th one, but that's the bit right by Detroit so wasn't as tempting as the big beautiful northern ones :hugs:

try looking for something called cornmeal
. It is probably 'farine de maïs' here. I will keep a look out when we do the shopping tomorrow. The flour is all different here, even from in GB. Creates a lot of problems in knowing what best to buy especially for bread making.

Later. Will come back on this - but Claire and Tim's problems in Sheffield have me all screwed up just now.

Edited by Bondbug
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Puppy! hmm or should I say.... Mom! :oooo:

hehehe Welcome and feel free to poke around the threads! and of course to add your own bit of mischief where you like :P