Change running animation through the pak folder?

Hey guys and gals, I have another quick question - can I change the running animation of a character through the pak folder? I've wondered several times about that over the years so I thought I'd finally ask. For example, I don't like how a character runs with a pistol, can I change the running animation to that of normal unarmed run by switching something in the pak folder?

Edit: Well, I guess it doesn't matter how and through which folder - is there a way to change a character's running animation? 
Also, can the idle animations be changed? For example, to switch one of the idle animations with one of the in-combat animations?

Edited by RetsReds
  • Like! 1
  • The title was changed to Change running animation through the pak folder?

If you want to switch animations, it works like switching anything else.  Find the source animation you want to use, and rename it to the target animation's file name.  Place it in the pak folder and make sure the folder paths match what is in the zip file.

You will also likely need to find the animation entry in animation.txt and make sure the timings are copied over from the source animation.  Incorrect animation timings can cause a "skipping" effect.

• Thanks! 1
2 hours ago, Flix said:

If you want to switch animations, it works like switching anything else.  Find the source animation you want to use, and rename it to the target animation's file name.  Place it in the pak folder and make sure the folder paths match what is in the zip file.

You will also likely need to find the animation entry in animation.txt and make sure the timings are copied over from the source animation.  Incorrect animation timings can cause a "skipping" effect.

Ok but which pak zips are the animations stored in?

Mostly in graphics05.zip I think.  You'll just have to look.  There's not that many of them.  Animations are within the models folder, like so: models/heroes/seraphim/

• Thanks! 1
3 hours ago, Flix said:

Mostly in graphics05.zip I think.  You'll just have to look.  There's not that many of them.  Animations are within the models folder, like so: models/heroes/seraphim/

Found it, thanks. I probably won't fiddle with it tho, I can't really pinpoint the animations I want, the names are confusing. Good to know tho, thanks again. :)

Find the gr2 file with the suffix: _RUN_BH.  That's running barehanded.  Make a copy of it (not inside the zip file, use loose folders) and rename it so the suffix is _RUN_GUN instead.

Now the seraphim will use the barehanded running animation while equipped with a pistol. 

By the way, you will not need to change anything in the animation.txt script because the timings are identical between the two animations.

3 minutes ago, Flix said:

Find the gr2 file with the suffix: _RUN_BH.  That's running barehanded.  Make a copy of it (not inside the zip file, use loose folders) and rename it so the suffix is _RUN_GUN instead.

Now the seraphim will use the barehanded running animation while equipped with a pistol. 

By the way, you will not need to change anything in the animation.txt script because the timings are identical between the two animations.

Thanks. What's even more confusing to me is which are the idle and which are the in-combat animations. There are 3x idle and 3x fidle animations per weapon and as far as I know there are only 2 in-game idle animations for each weapon - one rare and one that's more common. And I'm even more at a loss as to which are the in-combat animations - there should only be 2 per weapon type too, I think.

If you don't know off the top of your head, don't bother to search/test, it's no biggie. I might try messing with them at some point when I have more time.

On 12/9/2020 at 4:03 PM, RetsReds said:

There are 3x idle and 3x fidle animations per weapon and as far as I know there are only 2 in-game idle animations for each weapon - one rare and one that's more common.

You're forgetting the "just standing still not doing anything" animation.  That is also an animation.  :D

• Thanks! 1
13 hours ago, Flix said:

You're forgetting the "just standing still not doing anything" animation.  That is also an animation.  :D

Edit: I finally did it! Thanks again!

Edited by RetsReds