More about coffee - & chicory

I wondered about other folks feelings about chicory.

When I was a kid in Northumberland, coffee in our house was 'Camp' coffee - a concentrated liquid which was heavy on chicory, if not entirely chicory. I think Pev knows it, and it is possibly still on the market.

So my taste buds got used to it.

Now we buy coffee beans and grind them as required to make fresh coffee, but I always add a little chicory, about a sixth of the amount of ground coffee.

What are your feelings on this one? :whip:

I know 'instant' is normal, and I have no hang ups about instant. I have never thought to check the chicory content in instant coffees? Does any one know (or care) ?

Hmm I really don't know, I hadn't heard of it in relation to coffee, But I thank you for identifying the flowers along my driveway! :angry:

300px-Cichorium_intybus-alvesgaspar.jpg

:P

I'm actually not too sure of what it's used for entirely BondBug. I know that they use it in a lot of instant decaf coffees.

Sanka.JPG

Perhaps as a flavor enhancer?

Btw,did you know that some people add salt to old coffee to freshen up the pot? :P

Regarding instant, I used to love the stuff and it was my liquid fuel through school. I now run out the door like four or five times a day to hit the local bakery for their fresh brewed goodnes. The cost is killing but I love the walk.

:angry:

gogo

OMG Bond...you did it again...I just took a trip down memory lane! Camp coffee LOL I used to love that stuff when I was younger! On the instant coffee front iirc doesn't that odd instant coffee Mellow Birds use chicory?....googles.....bah I can't find a run down of whats added to Mellow Birds hehe another drink I loved as a kid.

I have no idea what other uses chicory has though I know it has been reputed to be a bit of a herbal cure all.

Now I want a cup of

graphic.jpg

Dontcha guys miss the old ads and packaging from the old days.
#

Ahh yeah gogo I really do! and I miss getting fish and chips wrapped in newspaper!...they really did taste better you know LOL....stops showing age and wanders away quietly!

Seem to have opened a right can of worms here.

- To me, as the coffee maker of the household, chicory is a product not unlike coarse ground coffee that I put into the percolator to add to round out (can't really describe it) the flavour

- To my wife, head of the food dept. it is a salad ingredient, sometimes called 'endive'

- To Ari' is is a lovely blue flower.

- To Claire it is a memory...thanks for the evocative picture. It may still be on the market..get the spies out to check out the English supermarkets.

So I looked it up:

"A widely cultivated plant, having usually blue flowers" (one up for Ari')," ..and leaves used for salads" ( one up for she who must be obeyed). A poor dictionary this....Oh....oh...wait a min....Ha! "The root of this plant, dried, roasted, and ground for mixing with coffee.." (score 1 to BondBug! Yeah!)..."or as a coffee substitute" (mark one for Camp Coffee and Claire)

Winners all round. Well who would have thunk it.

So back to thread. Does nobody use it? Check out your Instants kids! See if it has been sneaked in there. I quite like a slight flavour of it. Camp (that may well be a triple pun) training in an illspent youth.

hehehe Cool!!

I figured I was wayyyy off when I mentioned the flower! :P

I did check out my instant I have, and theres nothing on it about chicory though.. But Ill check out the ingredients on a couple different brands on Saturday.. I'm almost out of instant so Ill have to try it :P

I'm not familiar with this topic. I don't think any of my coffee blend has chicory

*go check*

Nope nada. I must go hunt for one and try it then.

Hey, Claire, I'm sure my wife said she had seen Camp coffee in an English supermarket not long ago. Howdya like to have a quick look next time you shop. :)

I have a feeling that it was a chicory based coffee substitute.

I just checked out my favorite little local cafe. Turns out they add a pinch of freshly ground chicory into every pot of coffee they make.

Very cool

:)

gogo

Don't spoil the flowers they are bonny. Just take the roots and roast them :lol:

Edited by Bondbug

haha! Well, The mowers went by today and mowed them all down.... ah well, will just have to find it in the store tomorrow :lol:

Panic not Ari'

The mowers went by today and mowed them all down

They must have left the roots - get out there quick and dig them up before some one else gets there.

Roast them, roast them. Quick. I'm getting all excited. You got buried treasure there.

And Funkified..thanks for that post. I've got plenty of chicory here (supermarket, not dug and roasted from my own grass verge). Can't wait to try it your way. Never thought of that one. Might be even better with hot milk?

Edited by Bondbug

Well I wasn't able to find any this weekend, But I might try a specialty store later this week..

OH, And don't put it past me.. I'm always doing strange things.. so actually processing the roots wouldn't be that much of a stretch for me! :cow_white: