Foods you cannot, could not, will not eat!

Actually that shark memory makes me think again about the worst thing I have ever tasted, and I take the shark meat back.

The worst tasting thing ever, for me, is crocodile. There's not much meat all all in a crocodile, but that doesn't make it eatable. Its purely vial.

My dad was in Vietnam some years ago and bought back this "local delicacy" - dried crocodile meat. I tell you there's no way to cook it, no matter how well you cook it tasted like rotten rubber shoes. No I haven't eaten a rubber shoe ever, but that's what the mind told me --- "Myles, you are eating rotten rubber shoes, rubber shoes, rubber shoes".

I will never forget that! :devil:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myles your post was TOO good to remain in that haggus thread and so..it's now got it's own celebrity spotlight! :lol:

I consider myself a pretty good eater and actually enjoy trying everying. But there just somethings that didn't go down and even some things I that just make me shudder.

1-haggus...I tried...I swear!

2-waxy fruits...dates, stuff like that..the idea and texture of all that wax on my teeth and gums..gross!

3-fish eggs fried in their egg sacks...YUCK!!...this is a HUGE delicacy with my family and I can't even look at it other than considering eating it.

4-Insects- *shudder* My gramma has eaten them and says they're delicious. To that I say...Next!

5-Marrow-this makes me gag. I see people in fancy restaurants eating this....steaming clotted blooed...blech!

6-lamb and goat smell makes me kinda nauseous and I won't touch most game.

k, done :devil:

To all the other foods in the world I say... bring it on!

:)

gogo

Brussels sprouts and squid. Tried the sprotus, they're awful, and unknowingly ate calimari once. I'll try almost anything else, though I've heard of a Phillipine "egg" delicacy that sounds beyond belief (fertilized, partially developed, then buried and aged, but, iirc, not cooked). NT to that too.

Didn't your parents tell you not desert until you finished your brussel sprouts? Seriously though, I don't think I know one kid who liked em when growing up. I'll be honest though and tell you that sometimes I chop em into half and toss em into the spag sauce. Full of iron and vitamin!. Squid...I love it :lol: Curried and so hot it makes my nose drip. I hate the tentacles though...the suckers have a way of getting caught in my teeth. Lazy peeps will prepare the squid curry without taking the insides out...gross. Squids have a bony inside that just doesn't feel right in the mouth. I usually just chuck the tentacles and only eat the bodies, if they've been cut up nice and neat.

:devil:

gogo

I'm with you on the gazpacho stuff Bond ugghh, I love spouts! but ONLY RAW...don't you dare cook em or they get thrown in the bin! Actually don't cook any of my veg..ever LOL...well ok you can stir fry me some cabbage and just show my cauliflower some hot water....I know I am wierd with food. I'm embaressed to say how picky I am. LOL So I won't add anymore to it suffice it to say I hate cooked veggies but raw I can eat em all day long....all of them even lovely little brocoli trees.

I'm iffy on fish as well. I'd never buy it (cept for tuna :)) but if it were served I'd eat it up whole. Love poached salmon.

:(

gogo

p.s. Claire...you don't like sauteed veggies? :thumbsup:

hmm The list grows as I discover new ones I never knew existed.. Though I can say Liver is one that there is just no way.. Nothing that filters the blood can be healthy to ingest.. I can always go along the lines of Indiana Jones here.. No Chilled Monkey brains, Live snake.. or Eyeball soup LMAO!!

Well liver has the highest cholesterol count, except raw brains, of all the organs in most animals including us. So its definitely not for everyday digestion.

However Liver also contains almost all essential minerals and proteins, very useful during war time. Until French fries come along. Oh yes fries are invented for wars (to store the maximum amount of fat), ironic isn't it?

Of liver and Gizzards

ha

I could tell you stories.

When I was a kid my dad would put an alarm clock on the table to make sher that we had eaten all the evil stuffs in a certain time.

Creativity comes into play and I figured out a way to misdirect the glaring eyes of parents until I could slip the sprouts and sometimes chicken gizzards and liver bits into my pockets and then announce...

-gotta go to the bathroom!

Where I would then flush them all down the toilet.

Course, this kind of seemingly brilliant surreptitious activity doesn't go unnoticed for long, especially as one day the toilet back washed and the gizards and sprouts ended up all on the bathroom floor!

:4rofl:

My butt was sore for a loooooong time after that little covert ops.

:)

gogo

p.s. Claire...you don't like sauteed veggies?

Oh No! It's taken me all my life to eat partially cooked cauliflower and my fried cabbage thing I make. They are lovely and crunchy raw!...and a stir fry for me takes well no time at all...it's all raw! :4rofl:

Liver is fantastic, but only if it's made into pate hehe, could you eat it as pate Ari?

Fish, I'm really iffy with all sea things I can eat it if someone else cooks it and I don't find any bones LOL I do like crab and lobster but only in very small amounts. Prawns well 2 of the little ones ...rofl! I wasn't going to post back to this. Oh but smoked salmon I can eat that all day so long as it's thinly sliced. Oysters and all that malarky no thanks, no shark, no big deep sea creatures that wink at you on the plate no muscles and stuff....Oh I am glad I haven't had any breakfast! :sick: but....now you see how odd I am...I love mushed up anchovies in pasta sauces..they are so small and salty and by the time it's cooked there's nothing there but the flavour.

When I was a kid my dad would put an alarm clock on the table to make sher that we had eaten all the evil stuffs in a certain time.

Creativity comes into play and I figured out a way to misdirect the glaring eyes of parents until I could slip the sprouts and sometimes chicken gizzards and liver bits into my pockets and then announce...

-gotta go to the bathroom!

:4rofl: Ahh gogo! :hugs: I was like that at school and when we were in Ireland, till in the end I got everything served up raw except the meat and potatoes....took years though for relatives to stop trying to make me eat stuff cooked :sick: Funnt thing is and I am soooo glad, none of my kids are at all picky with food! They will eat pretty much everything...haha I would hate to have 3 kids like I was :4rofl:

1. any fish (well tuna is good in pizza)

2. any food made of cabbage

3. beans

4. Liver, heart or other internal organ

5. Cat or Dog meat.. just because they are not ment to be eaten

6. Insects

7. Mushrooms, they really don't taste anything.

..and the list goes on.

I can understand erialc not boiling her veg if all the water in Sheffield just now is full of sewage:)

:4rofl: (Sick joke)

Off the top of my head I would have to say squid. My wife and in-laws always drag me to this horrible asian buffet places. They don't mind eating in places with a big red 'C' proudly displayed in the window--reminds them of home I guess.

One place we went to was so nasty that I couldn't eat and all the staff were nearly slaves and lived in a single room together.

I remember everyone coming back from the buffet line with a heaping plate of squid and big smiles on their faces. I got so disgusted that I couldn't eat.

A close second would be any desert my wife has ever tried to get me to eat from her country. Some things were not meant to go together. I think it was Erialc in another post who said she loved black beans. Well I wonder how she would feel about them in the bottom of a glass with crushed ice and slushy syrup on top of them?

I'm like a trash cane, what I like stays in my belly what I don't like gets out of em, yay, hmmm the lower area region

Edited by Epox

Hmm I dont know If I could eat liver in other forms.. I think because it brings to mind a humans liver and all the things that could be trapped in it. :woot:

I do love some seafood, Like boiled lobster drowned in butter, or shrimp, ah scallops maybe on a good day, they tend to start the gag reflex in me.. I could not eat squid or octopus though.. just the thought of the tentacles ... eah! :woot:

Oh I fully agree on cat or dog, Especially with the love I have for mine.. although I do threaten them with it when they are acting up :woot: hmm Well its rather.. "You will make a nice throw rug.. " and of course I wouldn't want the meat to go to waste! LOL <--- Bad humor I know

hmm lets see, I wouldnt be able to eat horse either.. but gimmie a full cow any day!

Oh and bug! No bugs! hahaha! Gotta love it when people give a little bit of trivia.. If you sleep and your mouth is open, a spider will crawl in.. Imagine how many you've eaten in your life! YIK!! LOL Never mind being scared of the things.. (Just the big ones.. Im getting better with the small ones) :woot:

:woot: Ok I think thats all for today! Ill add more as they come to me. need more coffeeeee.....

Liver, brains, tongue and tripe are a definite no no.

Oh and I watched how they made haggus on the food channel and I would have to say that looked disgusting. Black pudding well that makes me want to throw up :D

I am not a great meat eater but I have just started eating pork with lashings of apple sauce to cover the mud taste and just started eating steak but it has to be thin as and in a sandwich with loads of salad and vegies.

Slabs of meat especially still pink will turn me off the entire meal.

Oh and add sea urchin in there as well, that felt too squidgy for my likings. :whistle:

With the abundance of fresh vegies, fish and some meats there is no place for innards in my house :sigh:

• 2 weeks later...

I DO NOT WILL NOT eat seafood of any kind :hugs: I don't even like tuna fish..lol I don't eat liver, tho I cook it (occasionally) cause hubby likes it. I don't eat bugs either NO WAY... NO HOW... NOT EVEN COVERED IN CHOCOLATE...LOL. And I am sure there are other foods out there that there is no way I will eat but I haven't had to broad of an eating experience as I haven't traveled out of the United States other than into Canada a couple of times while we were truck driving, but even then we ate in truck stops or fast food restaurants that served "normal" food....LOL

Angel

:sick:...now you can leave that there cabbage alone!...it has taken me till the last couple of years to eat cabbage well almost cooked cabbage! lol raw and I'll eat the lot!...Surfy...grab yourself one of those yummy green crinkly cabbages, Savoy they call em here. When you have cooked up a big fat juicy steak....deglaze the pan with some white wine...yes white...and then add some shredded savoy....really quickly add some good sea salt flakes the juice of some fresh lemon and limes and toss it really fast in the pan....you can add a splash of soy sauce if you want...now this has to be done fast or it gets over cooked and well thats not good....serve it up with the steak it should still be crunchy and flavoursome from the steak and salt and juices.....mmmmm....*cries* I want some now!

But don't ever ever boil cabbage....thats just wrong :)

I love cabbage. And Claire, your take on it sounds awfully yummy. My parents used to spam the stuff to use when we were kids.

Curried cabbage, with small dried shrimp for extra flavor and tummeric.

:sick:

gogo

p.s. what does deglaze mean?

ahh the vino lifts all that yummy blood and sticky juices from the bottom of the pan making a delicious mix to coat the cabbage....a must for all sauces if you have the juices in the pan :) I do this when I have cooked a roast for the gravy....drain off the excess fat and splash in the wine....give it a stir and it's the yummy base for my gravy :sick: