My First Work

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting is the hardest part and you managed it. As long as you enjoy and you have time you will jump the steps faster.

Try to export images with little bit better quality to show of your art work.

It is a good start :D

Try to add some images in it too.

I think the poor quality is from the way I enlarged it - the wrong way :sweating:

I have now added a logo to a guild wars screenshot :)

TimOfDoomJahi.jpg

:D

~Doom

The way I see it, if you enjoy it and are happy with what you see, then its a good work.

Gimp is very powerful, but the commands are quite different from photoshops. If you intend to go pro, might as well start early.

GJ. :D

I am glad that you are picking up on the program quickly.

It is alot harder to use than photoshop but 1. Its free and 2. It has some very powerful scripting functions.

Hey, if you decide to learn the python programming language you can make your own tool too. :sweating:

I have been using the gimp since 1.0 ( which has been like 4-5 years I think)

anyhoo ( I think I have been rambling) , long live the opensource revolution :D

--Russ

I tried so hard to like Gimp, because it is free. And I hate to have to reinstall windows everytime my photoshop try before you buy expires :D .

But honestly, I'd install it and I just wouldn't know where to start.

If only someone would make a freeware paintshop pro clone.

Gimp is certainly powerful, no doubt. But it just doesn't compare to photoshop when you need to do more complicated things. And there are so many useful plug-ins you can just dl and use for photoshop.

But I wish the Gimp team all the best, they are certainly good people. They could have make money with it but they choose to make it free for everybody. That's a rarity these days. :D

Great to see you trying it out Tim, free has got to be a great pull...and your work is starting out great. Keep it up Tim and looking forward to your next one :(

Nice helping there Rus...opensource is indeed really popular and good to hear that it can have the same functionality as those other highly priced progi's

Woot! Tim! I want a sig first! :D Careful what you get yourself into Tim. This pixel pushing stuff can be very addictive. But if you simply must then, as the others have said... Tutorials! It's aaaall about how many tutorials. the more you do the better you'll be. That's an absolute guaranteed fact. I've done a fair number of them now, for photoshop, and what's funny is that I'll be working on something creative and maybe get stuck. Once in a while when this happens I am able to get through the creative obstacle because of something I learned in a tutorial. In the most simple of tutorials you can learn many many things depending on your experience. So do lots!

Fantastic start to a sig Tim! I love how it is floating there but it's just a wee bit blurry for my personal liking. Makes me wanna buy a pair of glasses. :(

You've got a great start! I really like the color shift through out your name, though it is a bit fuzzy. You could try a larger font, then when your close to being done, reduce the size to keep the clarity. (I hope that made sense.. only on first cup of coffee :D)

I cant wait to see your other goodies keep up the great work!

(I did try it myself but found of all things.. Sacred wouldn't run after installing it LOL Not a biggie, Ill figure out the conflict.) :(

I agree with Ari - Write Biiiig and reduce the size after you rasterized the layer. But for ultimate font results, use Adobe Freehand ! I don't do that way myself, but I've seen it done and the results are amazing ! That's just if you want the ultimate anti-aliazed, crystal clear font

I'm currently working on a planet ( It's not from a tutorial... noooo) ;):)

Thanks for all the comments and advice people :(

The blurring is from the A) Blurring I applied and B) The way I enlarged it (which wasn't the right way)

My 3D bowl! :)

Bowl1.jpg

and water!

Water1.jpg

~Doom

Oh cool Tim! haha. 3D! :D I've never tried to create a 3D object from a 2D graphics application. I have a very hard time imagining my 2D works in 3D. Just can't get my head to see the depths and shadows. Ugh! I'm curious. How do you do that water effect in Gimp? I wonder if it is very complicated. Is there a filter gimp comes with to help with that effect?

Fantastic works Tim. Keep going! More you do the more you will amaze yourself. :(

Here's how to do it, its simple and easy, honest! :whistle:

Ok A) download GIMP, or B) Look at this tutorial for them both. (Or do both, Gimp is only 7 or so MB to DL)

Water

Bowl

~Doom

I downloaded the entire thing and gave it a try last night. It does appear to be pretty powerful, though I'm not sure how it compares with photoshop/paintshop pro atm.

About 90 percent of what I'm using a graphics program is editing photos. Some get background replacement to make pictures taken in the house look like they were taken in a studio. Some get the full glamour treatment. I also used them for making buttons and banners when I decided to try my hand at web design.

I used to work for a furnature manufacturer and I would have to take pics of the new product and clean them up with photoshop and put them in the product catalog.

I don't think that anything will ever replace Photoshop and Paintshop pro in my heart. But Gimp certainly fits my wallet.

Haha! Faster Tim! More more!

I had a look at the tutorials and wow. Gimp seems to work in quite a different way from photoshop. Very interesting. I imagine you'll be able to produce various works that would not likely be done in photoshop.

Awesome job on the planets Tim. :D

I did a quick search for Gimp sig making tutorials but didn't come up with much at all. have you had any luck finding a cool Gimp sig tutorial? I'd be curious to know what kinda sigs could be made with it.

I did a quick search for Gimp sig making tutorials but didn't come up with much at all. have you had any luck finding a cool Gimp sig tutorial? I'd be curious to know what kinda sigs could be made with it.

Good ones? :whistle: Also, it can make similiar sigs to Photoshop I think...

GIMP can make animations too!

~Doom

I'd be curious to know what kinda sigs could be made with it.

Here are a couple I made about 3 years ago ( the gimp has made major updates since then, much better features, IMHO)

signewlv0.jpg

sig0nvut1.jpg

This was back when I played Lineage2 on the Gustin server

--Russ

edit: the image quality sucks for these because of size limit I had to put on them :D

Edited by CompEngRJH

I started working on a signature with Gimp. I guess I just don't have the patience. Most of the time I draw by hand and scan. Then I clean up and add color. Somewhere on my puter should be a nice image of my DS glad that I polished with photoshop....that could be the start of a pretty cool sig.

What I really wanted, though, are images from my novel. But they look great in my head....not so great when I attempt to draw them. Lol.

Ok another piece, a rather good planet, if I might say so myself :D

Second, I intended this thread to be a showcase of my work, not a discussion thread for GIMP, if people want to discuss it, could they please make another thread, thanks :BlobRed::)

BestWorldsmall.jpg

:)

~Doom