FDM Faceoff: PhotoBucket v.s. Image Shack

Image shack is BLEEP

sorry heeh...but I really think it is. They have notes asking you not to use their most bandwidth hogging tools...waht's with that LOL! If yer gonna offer a hosting site...do it right...right? I' used to use image shack so often before, but it's constant downs of servers and HUGE times to access it...finding bucket was like finding heaven. I'm there now and I'm never gonna look back. Though I did find out that apparently we have to keep logging into our bucket accounts every few months to keep it active, while indy says that with image shack you never have to go back. This true?

Anyway...I wanted to get it off my chest :butcher: Sometimes I see pics that peeps are hosting with image shack and the load times are soooooooooooooooooooooo long.

C'mon guys...make the move.

Room for more in the bucket.

:)

gogo

last time I checked my imageshack account needed activity too before it got deleted.

and the fun part is. when you haven't accesed your bucket account in a long time, it will send you a mail with a link to photobucket login.

all you have to do is read your mail within 2 weeks after its been sent, click on the link, log in and boom. set for another 5 months.

and if you log in your bucket account in those 5 months, the timer resets.

5 seconds of your time 2x a year isn't too much for load times that do not exceed days/years (yes I know, that might be slightly overreacting ... its more like 6 seconds :butcher:)

just my 2 cents

prOm

Well I use both. For some odd reason photobucket doesn't work at all on my work station.

Photobucket is nice but the image size limit can be a real pain. Sometimes I need to load a really big backdrop and imageshack is the only way to have it on the web ez.

It doesn't really matter if your account gets deleted as long as you have the links, esp. in imageshack. I just use that get link function and store a text copy of the list. Yeah I'm paranoid I know. :butcher:

I'm a recovering Imageshack user. Imageshack baaaaaaad. I don't know how many times one of my Imageshack images has gone missing or wasn't available for some reason. I do know that it has happened way too many times though. A big problem with a missing Imageshack image is that it practically puts your browser on hold while it searches and searches for the missing image usually taking about a minute, maybe more. So no more Imageshack for me.

Funny enough is that no so long ago I came across a forum who's announcement on the front page had stated that Imageshack use on the forum had been banned. Something I've debated myself. Grrrr @ Imageshack.

Some time ago I jumped on the Photobucket band wagon and have never looked back. Photobucket all the way for me!

@PowerPyx: Thanx for the reference to Coppermine. Very interesting. I had a quick read on the link you provided and looks like a nice gallery setup. Something to think about for sure. :butcher:

I've been using Image Shack with no problems. I think I do have an image bucket account as well. I'll have to check it out.

It turns out that I do have a photobucket account....it's where I kept all the images for the unique hunt. Lol. I'm hosting my new signature there as well. Off topic, but what do you think of the new sig? Pretty simple, I know.

Now I did give Image-shack a try, but I had all the same issues with it as well as it wouldn't allow me in to get the pictures about half the time, so am Very happy with the Bucket!

I have...wow, I can't even imagine how many imagines I have uploaded. EVerytime I want to hosts someone's sig here, or avatar, or put pix in a thread...Floop up the go. And... I have a ot posts here :devil: For extremely fast uploading, three at a time, bucket just can't seem to be beat...for my needs anyway.

The thing is...bucket is supposed to be unlimited upload space. so...I've now stopped even organizing my uploads and just keep shoooting up more if I need them hosted.

Once, out of interest I just did a check of my images, and I saw that I had uploaded seven of the same.

How evol is that

:o

gogo

Photobucked doesn't offer linked thumbnails. :devil:

Imageshack does. Thus I chose imageshack. :o

As for the images/accounts being deleted.

On imageshack - accounts might get deleted (dunno after how long) but images don't get deleted, though they become unavailable if they use too much bandwith in a given time interval.

On photobucket - actually no idea. Just tried to log in into my account today (which I haven't done in more than a year) and it was still there, including the 2 pictures I have uploaded to it. :P

For the incurably lazt like myself it has to be the bucket! The shack in my experience drops links, breaks them looses them, lags whenever I wanted to do something quickly.....certainly not for the lazy impatience can mean a pic or no pic. So gogo showed me the Bucket and I love it!...easy, FAST and has the limited functionality I find just right :D....just imho ofc :P

When I signed up at photobucket, they wanted my cell number, to text me my pin. The next month a $9.99 "Premium" non-telecom charge showed up on my cellular bill. Took 2 months t get rid of it.

I'm not happy about that, but otherwise p'bucket has met all my (very minimal) needs. All I have done is host images for this forum.

Edited by gial

I took care of it through my cell provider. They gave me the number to call to cancel the "premium" non-telecom service. We'll see if it was effective next month when the bill comes.

• 4 months later...