Comfort Food

Well enjoyed a great weekend catching up with loads of family and as in most family situations the gatherings are always in the kitchen with the aromas of the cooking, the laughter, the wine and most definitely the food. We had a lot to catch up on but always reminisce what we were like as children as we watched nieces and nephews running around like crazy.

What is your fondest memory of food as a child:), I can't go past a packet of peanuts in a shell without being reminded of Sunday afternoons in Winter sitting by the fire and being handed a bowl of freshly warmed roasted peanuts still in the shell, just waiting to be cracked open and devoured.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dahl (cooked yellow lentils), shrimp curry and pittu.

The latter is streamed flour that gets cooked in a bamboo tube. My dad who knows all that kinda stuff, made this stuff sometimes as special treats on weekends. Pittu with Dahl, Shrimp Curry and a boiled Egg...for me my truest comfort food.

lol...now I'm hungry

"drool:

gogo

p.s. Great topic Funki

oooh warm soda bread with butter all melted and dripping off it...potato cake...... and chicken noodle soup...lol....only had to sniffle and out would come the big pan and the chicken soup was on the cook!

Porridge is the first food thing I can say I think (in Chinese I mean, its just one word). I never liked sweet stuff as a child, not too much anyway. So I love a good salty porridge, with just the right amount of beans and some fried peanuts. :P

interesting...porridge can be made non-sweet?

Never knew that

and you'd add beans and fried peanuts to it as well?

Got a recipe and/or pic for this myles?

:P

gogo

Um its an oriental thing I guess. But no let's just say that the person who made me that is no longer around. :sick: Its made to taste more like Congee if you know what I'm talking about.

I can ask around, but no promise. :P

hmmm...a savory porridge? Myles this is so cool man, I've never even heard or read about this. I'm gonna do some research too.

:)

gogo

My wife would sometimes eat porridge made from rice. It has chicken and a couple other things in it. I remember when she was pregnant with my first child, she made me drive over 100 miles so that she could get a bowl of it.

Another comfort which I will always remember...my Dad would always make me a Fresh Lemon, dash of whiskey and hot water with two panadols for the first signs of a cold.

Every time I get a cold now, my thoughts are with Dad and on the phone straight away to him, with him wishing he was there to make the fantastic concoction :)

There are many but one that stick out in my mind is my moms apple crisp she would make in the fall. It would be sweet and crunchy and squishy :) and you just felt warmed and safe when you ate it :) ...and full cause one piece just didn't do it!

Oh OH And her lasagna! Oh That was always the best, leaving you the very same way as the apple crisp.. so the days we had both... we didnt move after eating dinner!

• 5 months later...
Another comfort which I will always remember...my Dad would always make me a Fresh Lemon, dash of whiskey and hot water with two panadols for the first signs of a cold.

Every time I get a cold now, my thoughts are with Dad and on the phone straight away to him, with him wishing he was there to make the fantastic concoction :P

That's a wonderful story, Funki. My dad used to do something of the same spirit. If he'd ever heard me coughing in the middle of the night ( which was a lot I was kind of a skinny, sniffling runt) he'd quickly shuffle off to the kitchen, fry up garlic buds then come to my bedside where he would (with professed love of course) feed it to me whilst I was gagging in horror.

Needless to say...I was cured of loud nightime coughs.

:)

gogo

oh soooo many comfort foods... gummy worms. kraft macaroni and cheese. oatmeal creme pies. pinapple upside-down pie (aka dumpcake). apple betty bar. oatmeal scotchies.

yes, none of these foods whatsoever are healthy for you, and if you ate all of them in one day, you'd die of a heart attack before you were done chewing the last bit of whatever you were eating. don't try it.

-Total

I remember the smell of pinto beans being cooked on the stove all the time. I HATE them cooked this way but I remember the smell. My grandma who has passed away made this dish with chicken and a red sauce and fresh tortillas but when she died it went with her and I have no idea how to recreate it :D Another thing is dad's homemade chili mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chili mmmmmmmmmm. No one makes it like he does!! Now I do a great job but his will always be the best. One other thing I remember is when dad had days off which was rare and far between, he would turn on the stereo to wake us up to get ready for school and there would be the most amazing aromas in the kitchen because when dad was home we had a banquet for breakfast.

hmmm.

Vanilla icecream does it for me.. doesnt bring any memories.. but its good comfort food...

But I think my best comfort food is Poutine.

Food_Poutine_Closeup.JPG

Omg im going to order some now

*UPDATE* Ugh I cant stand it when people don't understand anything you say when you order out, I couldn't have spoken clearly enough.

I hope she sent out my order.

Edited by Zyther

I was born in the Transylvania part of Romania, so food memories are mostly of typical Transylvanian dishes. And sadly some of these are not available where I live now :blush:

Two things that really hurt:

Rose hip jam. Home-made obviously. Those available in the shops come nowhere near it. And my mom wont make it, because its too messy. A couple of years back I got a jar of home-made jam, but nooooooo the Hungarian recipe seems to be entirely different.

It should look like this:

1200134763390.jpg

Pancake stuffed with urda <- its the Romanian name, I think thats how its known, we call it orda. Again, its not widely available here, so if relatives are coming to visit from Transylvania, we practically beg them to bring some

from wiki:.

Urdă is a Romanian cheese-like dairy product made by reprocessing the whey drained from cheeses such as caş or telemea. The process of making it is somewhat similar to the one for Italian fresh ricotta cheese. In some areas, its texture and taste are similar to ricotta, but in Transylvania its texture and taste are very different.

Urda is mixed with egg yolks, some sugar and finely chopped dill then its stuffed into pancakes. Couldnt find a good pic, but then its not very spectacular

Enci, your two additions to this thread are marvelous. I just even enjoy saying the word "rose hip jam" out loud...very pleasant sounding. lol, I just came back from the grocery store, and picked up a couple of ( now seemingly so) boring james... cept for one called boysenberry. I'm a big jam lover as I make sandwiches every day for work, there are a few specialty stores near me that sell very nice and rare imported products...I'll give them a check and see if they have anything like that. Also, your description of the urda got my curiosity going and I tried as well to see if I could find any pics, alas...none to be found as you said. Well...guess you'll have to make some! :)

:D

gogo

p.s. Yeah, I know what you mean about that, Zyther...lol, but oh that's the subject of another thread...and oooh, how we could wax with that one :P

I am also asking around about rose hip jam because I love making jams! On year when my first born was just born and I was single I made jam for everyone for Christmas. They all recieved a basket of apricot jam, strawberry jam, grape jelly, and apple butter. The homemade ones always are tons better than anything store bought.