Comfort Food

Asked around a bit for the jam recipe and this is what I found out:

For the best results gather the rose hips after the first frost. Nobody knew why ;)

Cut the ends on ripe hips. Wash them, put them into a large pan, cover with water and simmer until they are very soft. Press them through a colander or something to remove any seeds, then press through a fine sieve to remove smaller fibres. Measure the strained mass, so you can add proportionate quantity of sugar. For one pound of mash add about 0,8 pound of sugar. You can add more or less depending on your taste. Cook the mix for 20-25 min or until it has thickened and it’s jam-like. That’s it.

Pics from a Turkish site. Seems to be pretty much the same, though I didn’t bother with translating

[ Also, your description of the urda got my curiosity going and I tried as well to see if I could find any pics, alas...none to be found as you said. Well...guess you'll have to make some! ;)

You don’t want to send me into the kitchen :)

But next time we get some urda, I’ll make some pics

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A comfort food of my own making not from being a kid has to be a handful of Spring Onions (Scallions) trimmed with some thinly sliced strong cheese and some salt....mmmm delicious, a wonderful refreshing snack when you are sat at the pc...lol ofc if you like strong flavours that is. My other cure all comfort food has to be a big old bowl of Ramen soup with chicken or beef or duck or anything, there are some fantastic Vietnamese Noodle Bars here and I find nothing better than leaving for the school run really early and popping in for a Vietnamese 'Big Bowl Soup'...OMG they are huge bowls so I need to leave well in time. The kids adore going there after school and trying to eat with chop sticks, no cutlery there and luckily for me it's as cheap to eat there as it is to cook almost plus we all get full and happy and try out new foods from the massive menu. You can't get much more comforting if you ask me!

And for the not so healthy comfort food it has to be a proper Sunday Lunch, a roast with all the trimmings and Yorkshire Puds :thumbsup: when I was pregnant with my eldest and living a long way away from my family I actually cried one day for a proper Lunch with proper gravy....ofc I leapt in the car the following weekend and had one of mi Mom's proper roast dinners.

Did I mention I am sooo hungry now reading about all your comfort foods? they all sound so delicious!

• 4 months later...

For me it is bacon, simple and sweet. When we would go to visit my Grandmother and Grandfather me and my two brothers would sleep in a bed room right above the her kitchen and there were vents in the floor for heat. The smell would come right in and wake us up in the morning. We also knew that she would be using the bacon fat to fry her homemade doughnuts, we would come downstairs and get a warm doughnut and a hug. For me the smell of bacon is a hug from Grandma. She passed away in the late 70's and I miss her but every once in a while I can still "get a hug from Grandma".

• 3 months later...

comfort food... my grandmother grew up in the depression and her family didnt have alot of money so she cooked for an army even when there was only 3 of us there. Peroghi, (and forgive me on the spelling of some of these, I can say them but I have never seen them written down) kiflicky (a type of cookie), stuffed cabbage, chicken soup (the 5-7 hour version on the stove in a HUGE stock pot), canadian bacon, hard boiled eggs, and ham (served cold on high holidays), homemade bread and noodles, bibalki (small little "breads" covered in a poppy seed sauce), pagach, and more that I cant even remember right now.

remembered one more - cabbage and noodles

Edited by Genenut

mmmm potato pancakes... my grandmother would make them.. they were like big french fry puffs.. eat them with ketchup or sour cream :4rofl: or a dip mix of ketchup and gravy :hugs:

• 11 months later...

My great-grandmother used to make me sundays with vanilla ice cream, fresh diced pineapple, crushed gingersnap cookies, and drizzled with caramel sauce. When I am down I make a run to the market and pick up the needed ingredients and whip up some satisfaction.

Porridge is the first food thing I can say I think (in Chinese I mean, its just one word). I never liked sweet stuff as a child, not too much anyway. So I love a good salty porridge, with just the right amount of beans and some fried peanuts. :sweating:

yup that is the thing I ate most when I was little

yes and porridge can be made salty and what myles said be4 its called congee

easy to make btw.

just some rice and lotsa water .

if u want to add meat to it just make sure u put alot of salt on the meat and put it in the fridge overnight be4 using it in the congee/porridge

if its not salty enough u can use some chinese soy sauce in it.

I hate the sweet porridge

but with beans and fried peanuts thats new to me

mostly its the gongee with chicken or pork and even with some dried shrimps

my mom use to make many different kind of cookies ( cornstarch, peanut, cheese)

fried chicken a la my mom style .. hmmmmmmm

omg. A lot of them don't exist anymore, or are frowned on. Bread and dripping; barley kernel pudding (haven't had one in 50 years); my blind old Aunty Jinnie's Yorkshire pudding cooked in the old iron range, marmite, oxtail soup (who doesn't make soup any more? How else can you get decent soup?)....

...and porridge. But from what has been said here about porridge (porage?) it is almost a thread in its own right. I make it with medium ground oatmeal, water and salt. Odd how the mix varies as you move from the north of Scotland to the south of England. They used to say that in the north of Scotland it was made and left in a drawer of the dresser to set. Then you cut out chunks as required. As you move south the water becomes milk , the salt is left out, oat flakes are used. I think the milk started coming in about Yorkshire, and commercial porridge oats have become almost universal in place of ground oatmeal.

I did not realise it had become so universal and made with such a variety of grains.

Oh...and Alphabetti-ghetti.

Edited by Bondbug
  • 9 months later...

Fond memories of noodles and soy sauce. Kept me alive at my skintest moments, and was a comfort food when the possibility of complete mental and physical collapse was imminent. Hard life being a student hehe. Man those first few years were insane, my flat was like a warzone, in slow motion. Soo many stories, there comes a point after so many things have happened, that it seems pointless to say one thing without going all out forest gump style.

I thought food for the skint was spaghetti (good for athletes as well). We used to eat it out of a bowl, rub garlic round the bowl, grate cheese on top.

But yes, OK, noodles. Soy sauce? For us that would have been ketchup or brown sauce, the cheap ones that were almost neat vinegar!

But for rock bottom I used to have a cup of Oxo. One cube would do two days.

But hardly "comfort" food!

Edited by Bondbug

Pellkartoffel mit Heringssalat

potatoes in the skin served with herring salad

When I was a kid the people in our area had no ice boxes or refridgerators. There was nearly no week without a power shortage. A truck appeared every 2 month selling marinated herrings in barrels. The wooden patchwork houses had deep cellars made from rammed clay. You put fresh harvested potatoes there and they remained fresh nearly till the summer of the next year. Then they started to loose water, but were still eatable.

So we did a lot of potatoes in the skin, when the skin was still fresh (8 month a year). Herrings salad we did with chopped marinated herrings, Schmand (high fat sour cream), some whipping cream, cooked and chopped eggs, chopped apples, chopped pickled sour cucumbers and some seasonal herbs from the garden.

If you use normal forks the potatoe in the skin may break apart. So special 3 forked forks are used:

100208.jpg

My grandparent used to make forks and knives in winter when there was not so much work for carpenters.

In our local hessian slang we called the small knives to peel potatoes 'Kneibchen'. Following to Grimm's Law Old english/german transforms a b to f. Kneifen would be to pinch. A Kneibchen is a knife which is used by pressing the sharp side to the index finger with the thumb and not for long cuts. Now I wonder if the english word knife is related to this pinching movement of the fingers too.

Knives to cut flesh with long cuts are called Messer in germany.

• 2 weeks later...

Good old scandinavian porridge! Served with butter, cinnamon and sugar.

It always takes me back.

But the last time I tried to make one myself, my pot had to undergo two straight weeks of constant washing and scraping.

lol, you know... before my friend's mom once made porridge for me I would never have guessed that there ws any other way to cook porridge other than pouring it out of a pouch of Quaker Oatmeal

:D

gogo

lol, you know... before my friend's mom once made porridge for me I would never have guessed that there ws any other way to cook porridge other than pouring it out of a pouch of Quaker Oatmeal

:(

gogo

Oh no, gogo.

Cooking good porridge is an art by itself. You need rice, milk, (sometimes also water), salt, sugar, and a LOAD of patience!

I also heard that cooking porridge in an aluminium pot may generate a small amount of hydrogen cyanide. WOW! You're practically eating poison! Now that's a killer stew!

Edited by Sirius
  • 4 weeks later...

Another one is buffalo wings lightly breaded wings or just chicken with buffalo sauce... I even made a recipe that was a combination of mac and cheese with bacon with buffalo wings on top.

I often buy the buffalo wings. We have a place on the corner near my house. But for the buffalo mac and cheese I used flour dunk, then egg dunk, then bread crumbs dunk (panko breadcrumbs are best but you can use any). Then heat a skillet with a fair amount of oil but you don't have to deep fry just a thick layer. Oh by the way salt and pepper the chicken before breading it it really adds a lot of flavor.

I love this thread! So many people posting here with so many awesome or new things. It's great!

My comfort food? I also enjoy porridge! Something about the warmth and texture that just does it for me. I also like having tea with it, or sometimes hot chocolate, if I've got a sweet tooth. There's nothing quite like curling up with a blanket, a bowl of hot porridge, and a steaming mug of tasty brew.... with a new game to play? :devil: Excellent... total comfort.