How do you guys make borders

fRACTAL

Even if you use photoshop tell me how, I'll probably be able to do it in GIMP.

The reason I want to know is because the original border method I used doesn't display properly on the web

and there are some cool sig borders around here :3lmao:

:paladin:

~Doom

Nah 1st one doesn't work, and 2nd on google is the one I orginally used... (see above)

I was meaning how do the people on THIS forum do theirs, especially yours, which is a really nice effect :o

:devil:

~Doom

Well if want to do really fast borders, I just select Crop tool and extend the picture as less as possible (dunno why but there is some smallest possible move limit where it does allways go if you start to drag it). When it's extended to this "limit" in every direction I'll end crop. Now I have borders around the pic and I can start to do what ever I want.. normaly I go for the "photo" look.. really small black borders whit bigger white borders around.

Or you can just be as creative and select everything on the picture where you don't want borders and use inverse select. Then you can add cool effects whit different filters if you don't like "basic" look borders where to start.

Using Photoshop, dunno how things work in Gimp.

Edited by Obsession

For me, What I do in photoshop is select just in a bit from the edge with the marquee tool and select a slightly smaller boxy area leaving the edges. Than I hit Select then Inverse, to select only the outside edges. Now I can go to the filters and play with them till I make a fancy edge. I would try to go further with explaining the raised edges.. but I haven't had enough coffee just yet this morning :4rofl: But Ill fill that in when I'm more conscious.

I dont yet enough in gimp.. I need more learning time there. :wub:

Well Ari, the same thing applies in GIMP, (cept' the marquee tool has a different name)

Using filters is a good Idea I'll try that

:P

~Doom

You can always cut a layer into two. Cut the middle of it, and you will leave the edges as a separate layer. Then you can mess around with it w/o fear of messing up the content. GIMP doesn't have a cut as new layer option, so you need to cut, make a new layer, and paste it. It should work.

In photoshop I usually use the frame tool to add a black frame, then cut it and work on it. I don't think GIMP has a frame tool though.

Layers will be your greatest friend while creating sigs in GIMP. When creating a sig I will often have 10-20 different layers and then flatten it at the end. Unfortunately, the sig I have now is kinda awful. I am working on a new one but I haven't had much time lately.

--Russ

As above, that method produces a really wierd bug, that makes everything go black when its an IMG link..

(Works everywhere else though..)

:)

~Doom