Cashback

Ike

Cashback (2007) is based on the Oscar Nominated short film of the same name, and in fact incorporates the short within the feature-length film. The film is not rated in the U.S. and is in limited release. The website contain nudity, as does the film. It is coming out (in Region 1) on DVD this week as well.

The film is about a college student who develops insomnia after a breakup with his girlfriend. He begins working the night shift at a local grocery store in order to fill his extra eight hours of sleeplessness and describes how he and the other employees make it through eight hours every day. Their methods vary from avoiding looking at clocks, performing stunts and gags, or his own method, imagining that the world around him has stopped and sketching and painting the customers and employees, sometimes after posing them and/or striping them.

The movie is quirky and different, with a lot of voice-over narative. The time-stopped scenes are really nicely done and the characters feel very real. It was definitely entertaining with some quite humorous bits. The added scenes tend to flesh out the characters more and make it better than the short film, although I really enjoyed that as well. It is well worth a look, at least on DVD if not in the theater.

Thx Ike.

I love intelligent films with a good script, and this sure sounds like one. I will definitely check it out. :)

With he exception of one movie which played to my addiction to sci-fi, lately I've been looking for more content/indy/style films as well.

Thanks for the write-up Ike, I'll watch it and report back.

Loved Clerks and even the second one...this anything like them?

Another movie detailing the attempt in filling up people's existential vacuums?

:)

gogo