Sacred 2 Owning Property in S2?

Dug up this little tidbit in a publication that came out about four months ago. In an interview with Ascaron's Heiko, he has been quoted here as saying that players will be able to own property in Sacred 2!

:dance:

Ideas and/or conjecture as to what this can possibly mean? Citadels, forts...will we have our own turfdoms with real value? Will "builds" now be bigger than simply characters and require us to be great castle managers as well?

This game looks more interesting all the time.

I'm just hoping this is still going to happen and we finally get to have a piece of Ancaria all to ourselves.

:)

gogo

Taken from xbox 360 fanboy

GDC 07: Sacred 2 hands on preview

Posted Mar 9th 2007 5:45PM by Richard Mitchell

Filed under: News, GDC '07

The last day of GDC tends to be the slowest, so we understandably pleased to get a chance to play Sacred 2: Fallen Angel from Ascaron Entertainment. Sacred 2 is an action RPG title in development for both the PC and Xbox 360. The game features co-operative gameplay for up to four players in an open world environment. The game plays more or less like most action RPGs, with the action seen from a distant third person perspective. Fans of games like Baldur's Gate and Diablo will have a pretty good idea of what to expect. We spoke with Ascaron's Heiko tom Felde to learn about what sets Sacred 2 apart.

Heiko informed us that Sacred 2 takes place in a huge open world. There are no load times and we were told that it would take approximately 8 hours to move from the top left corner of the world to the bottom right. In other words, it's big. There are 6 story driven characters from which to choose. Characters are divided into either the Light or Shadow categories. 4 of these characters are intended for either Light or Shadow play, and the remaining two are dedicated exclusively to either Light or Shadow. We saw two characters, a lithe female warrior (render pictured above) and a beefy male fighter. According to Heiko, each character's campaign quest will take approximately 30 hours to complete. Additionally, there are 650 sidequests in the game. Sidequests are handled by a specially designed logic system. Essentially, the quests you receive will be based on your character level. So, an NPC will only offer quests that are appropriate for your character's level.

The multiplayer system supports two player co-op on one Xbox (4 players via system link) and 4 player co-op over Xbox Live. Character data is saved on the game server, so players will be able to access their character data from any Live connected Xbox. The game's co-op system is drop-in/drop-out, so friends can join or leave your game at any time. This feature can be particularly handy at times, because there are certain quests that require co-operative play. Cross-platform play between the 360 and PC is being considered, but the logistics have yet to be worked out.

Being an RPG, Sacred 2 features lots of customization for your character's abilities and appearance. Heiko describes the urge to customize your character as the "Barbie effect," and notes that Sacred 2 provides a variety of customization options. A suit of armor for instance, is composed of 20 interchangeable pieces. With dozens of armor types available, the combinations are nearly endless. Combat abilities are divided into three areas, each of which have 6 tiers. Those 6 tiers have an additional 6 areas of skill distribution. We didn't get into the specifics, but Heiko said that players will be able to specialize in whatever area they want, essentially creating an individualized character class.

There are mounts in the game as well. We saw a horse and a lizard-like beast. The beast, naturally, is intended for Shadow characters. Unfortunately, a bug in the dev build prevented us from seeing a mount in action, but Heiko informed us that the mounts were customizable and leveled along with the character. Also, players will be able to own property in the world of Sacred 2.

Graphically, the game looks decent, though it still has plenty of development time to go. The 360 code port we saw was early (and the European 360 dev kit had some power issues) but several visual effects are already in the game and look promising. The lighting looks especially nice at this stage, with good use of shadowing during low light scenes. We also saw a nice refracting effect that distorted objects seen through glass. The game utilizes each core of the Xbox 360 for a different purpose. One core is dedicated to visual effects, 1 is dedicated to streaming the game's open world, and one is dedicated to the enemy/NPC logic system. NPCs have 200 characteristics that govern their behavior, making each one unique. They will go about their daily routines, regardless of the player's interaction with them. All animations are done by hand in hopes to create more fluid and natural movement. As Heiko put it, Ascaron had trouble booking golems and dragons for motion capture sessions.

All in all, Sacred 2 is showing a good deal of promise. Ascaron hasn't acquired a publisher for the US version yet, but Felde told us they are currently in negotiations to bring the game stateside. We're always up for a decent RPG, and Sacred 2 looks like it could deliver. Don't get your hopes up too soon, though. The game isn't expected until first quarter 2008.

That is totally awesome.

Of course that would be great for the packrats among us. A place to store all your drops.

Watch out for Silearth, though, as I'll be bringing down the property values where I pitch my tent. From the three foot high grass to the drunk horses laying in the street....you just don't want to be my neighbor.

And who's gonna blow my house down, you can huff and you can puff but I'll fill my moat with hungry piranha! and hohoho wouldn't it be even cooler if you really could use your property to stash your stuff! I'll have the Ancarian Hilton Please ;) but on a serious note property is such a cool idea!

oooo :D Dibs on the ocean front property! Castle or shack dont care! Just so I can say I live on the ocean in some way in my life ;) !

I'm wondering if by property they mean another way of saying "bigger chests" ?

This way you could invest in larger storage space?

Wow...options are limitless here!

;)

gogo

Hey guys!

Some ideas on this

Schot mentionned Guild Wars' take on "property" in the game and I think that interpretation could have two bearings upon the concept of "property" in Sacred.

1-The ability to buy beautiful Clan Halls and and/or Clan Islands. This translates into a non internal gaming addition to the game. Basically it's a virtual home where members of the clan and/or friends go to just hang out and buy things easier. The wealth of Clans in GW was evidenced by how many merchants each clan had in their hall. Could Sacred go this way and thereby inspire the rise of the great , wealthy and powerful Clans?

2-Guild Wars also introduced "control" of areas that was won by clans v.s. clan battle. If our Clan, D.a.r.k. defeats Hope in battle and beats them all up to a smithereens (:D ) Maybe this would give us "property" in terms of controlling more of a battle map?

And just in general on the idea of property:

3-Bigger Storage Chests in the form of houses? (This would be the simplest I think)

:D

gogo

I want the registration office - no registration, no play. Registration will only be $20 per person, but you can apply for discount at the Discount Office... also mine. :faerie:

Seriously though, Clan Halls sounds about like the best idea concerning owning property - if restricted access could be managed, that'll also be great !

Yay that it's on xbox360.

If I they do make it cross-platform playable, I might buy it for the 360, rather than upgrading my video card.

Also, the property idea sounds pretty sweet.

• 8 months later...