Onion

Actually gogo ( note I added to my last post just after your last post) They run only around 10% more than regular onions, and they are probably carried in your grocery store. But they are only put out certain times of the year. Check with one of the workers in the produce section

• 5 weeks later...

Wow Gogo...I can't believe you dared to try a raw onion....!! I already feel teary for you! :yawn:

Borg : I did not know that there are different kind of onions... like vidalia ....Now I can use that analogy for anything! Thanks!

Back to gogo : mmm...OMG are you gonna use those onions in your famous spaghetti sauce :D now I feel like having some :D miss them so much!!

Back to gogo : mmm...OMG are you gonna use those onions in your famous spaghetti sauce :) now I feel like having some :) miss them so much!!

Wait a minute there, what spaghetti sauce? :D

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve spaghetti. :yawn:

You better cough up your secret before ummm I sent out Ari's rabbit army onto you Mr. Blender. :D

You better cough up your secret before ummm I sent out Ari's rabbit army onto you Mr. Blender. :hugs:

Ah the power of the bunny army! It worked!! :D

Thank you Gogo! Yum!!

• 2 months later...

It is funny the differences in things as to where you live! Fresh raw vegetables chopped up into what you call salsa we call Pico de Gallo our salsa is more of a sauce type where you use a blender and such to blend all the different ingredients together, and actually a friend gave me a tip on her salsa which is wonderful she uses canned whole tomatoes. I was skiddish at first but I tired them with onions, jalapenos, garlic, lime, lemon, and cilantro and its great. Some of us opt for green chiles rather than jalapenos and actually cook our salsa. I personally dont care for it but alot of people love it. As for onions red (purple) are better raw as in salads, yellow (brown) are sweet onions good for cooking and such, white onions tend to be stronger and not as sweet perfect in salsas or any dish that needs a strong onion flavor without the sweetness.

Wonderful post, Seductive. I was thinking recently about how to just...slow down in my kitchen. Enjoy the chopping, enjoy the sorting, enjoy the way that transforming food items this way, getting to know them on a more "personal" basis, lol...instead of just buying them always pre-made or processed is kind of a relaxing experience. You know, it's funny, your mention of the fresh chillies, and other ingredients made me think about how all of it can really be something that's enjoyable if you just say to yourself that you really do have the time to indulge. Not everyone can make it out to a spa...but certainly everyone can indulge in the small enjoyment of freshly released aromas that come from chillies, onions, and herbs. My parents would spend hours on this "craft" and now, lol, just like all kids in a reverie about their parents habits...I find myself wanting to find that road back to simple enjoyments like this again.

:P

gogo

I would like to share a couple thoughts about onions. There is another variety as sweet as Vidalia. They are stamped Empire Sweet and are widely available. Also I have learned by sad

example that the sweet varieties are so not suitable for some salads! I used a vidalia in a potato salad and it tasted like I had added a cup of sugar!

One of my favourite snacks.

Two brown onions thickly sliced (though purple or white are ok too) .

One clove of garlic crushed.

Small frypan with one desert spoon of good olive oil.

Heat the oil then add the garlic. Cook for 15secs then add the onion.

Cook till the onions just start to turn colour. Don't over cook, we want the onions to keep some of their crunch.

Add cooked onions to one wholemeal roll with a slice of ham and sliced tomato if you like.

All washed down with a glass of your favourite ale.

droolllllllll

sabber.gif

stubbs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

did you know onion could be switched with apple ... and vice versa ...

if you eat a mild onion blindfolded, you might think its an apple :Just_Cuz_21:

you should try it sometime.

it was a part of initialization of first graders at my high-school ... besides swimming on table soaked with water from a sponge :woot:

Edited by kunstler
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this simple trick. Viv doesn't like raw onions; I do. When we have a sort of cold buffet she slices some ordinary white onion (spanish onion? anyway the cheapest) into a small basin, and chucks salt over it. Leave for half an hour then rinse off the salt. It leaves the onions soft and sweetish, perhaps easier to digest and less aggressive than the usual nice crisp product.

I notice Funkilicious got over the communications problems well with his pics, which raised enough comments to underline the problem of vocabulary, not just between different countries, but between different regions of the same country. Here for instance we have scallions, spring onions and cybies (dont know how it is spelt) - all the same thing depending on what part of the country you come from (but not in Funkilicious-land, I see Erialc put her finger on that one). 'Blood sausage' is 'black pudding'; 'abats' are 'offal' are 'variety meats' (or is that one long out of date?); cuts of meat are different in different countries and even in one country cuts will have different names according to region. Not to mention products that are common in one country and unknown in another. Makes the kitchen interesting. Not just good chefs for this forum, but good photographers also.

Edited by Bondbug

Help...I tried to post an item on tree onions with photos. Long time since I last tried.

What does this mean: "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed". Are the photos the wrong size? Or the wrong format (.jpg)? What the ***are 'dynamic pages'? I don't think they were dancing. :unsure: Where are you Timi ! Pépé needs you, boy.

Edited by Bondbug

Thanks Gogo.

Another onion for the list. I call them 'Tree Onions', but they do have correct names (2types) if I could only find them.

treeonion1.jpg 1st stage

treeonion3.jpg You can just see the 1st stage low down

When I was a kid and my dad grew these we called them tree onions. Later I had great difficulty finding any (no one knew what I was talking about) until Viv got some from a colleague in Edinburgh. We planted them in the back yard in Sunderland and then we brought them to France. There is a research centre near Angers which deals in old traditional kitchen garden plants. It appears that there are two types. One stops at the first set of onions, the other sprouts up to a second bunch. Ours, see photos, are the second type.

If you leave them the stems eventually bend and the small onions root and grow again, so no danger of them dying out. On the contrary.

I think too that the bunches that grow needed careful thinning out to let the others develop a bit.

Took us a long time to find a good use for them, they are so small. We skinned and pickled some, in malt vinegar. They were great. Then we found that if you chuck them into a stew complete with peel the peel just comes off them at eating time.

Their virtue, apart from being a sure conversation point, is that they are very strong. Great taste.

I think the single storey ones would perhaps be better, but I lost the article with the details and names.

Any further info gratefully received!