Dwarf CA Cannon Blast

So I've been bouncing all over the place as to the reasons why Cannon Blast will sometimes cause two damage hits from 1 Cannon Blast shot. I went from thinking it was a matter of distance between me and the foe to aiming at the head of foe to size of foe and one other idea as well that escapes me at the moment.. :(

The last idea being size of foe seems to be the most consistent and I still tend to aim for the head with this as well. After testing for about 30 mins in Nomad-Nur I found that CB never landed a double hit against skeletons and zombies and that it did land double hits against Raptors and Skeleton Mages. Unfortunately I was not able to land double hits on Cave Fish which kind of breaks the logic of Cannon Blast landing a double hit on large bodied foes...

So does anyone have a greater understanding of this CB double hit phenomenon? I'd very much like to get the biggest bang for my buck so to speak. :o

Hi :hugs:

Well cant say that orcs in Khorad desert are large body creatrures and I landed on them quite a few dounle hits. Anyway nice idea Schot ----> hehe we have always something to experiment with :D

Ah that would be Mortar Grenade gial. CB only does physical damage so far as I've seen. Up to level 49.

Ah and thanx for those pics Griff. I was certain I had been able to double hit skellies in the past. It just occured to me now that maybe there is an ideal CA level to monster level ratio that garners the double hit? Many Combat Arts such as Petrification and Ring of Ice need to have a level that is between half to the same level of the monster you are attacking.

Maybe CB falls under the same rule?

Ah that would be Mortar Grenade gial.

Seems the more I think I know, th less I really do. You are, of course, correct. I was confusing MG with th cannon.

Guess it's back to school for me too.

It's possible, Schot, that level has to do with it. My CB is at level 4 and my character is at I think 50 or maybe a little under. I think it did it maybe a third or so on skeletons. If it hit once on an orc champ it kept hitting, if it didn't double hit on the first shot it didn't ever double hit. I always thought it had to do with the angle that you are shooting from...

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing CB on my dwarf last night, andf I've noticed it often does a double hit. Many times, one is clearly a crit hit, as it is 2x the other.

Almost all my cb has been around silver creek and against goblins and orcs. I have also seen a single shot:

1) strike 2 opponents, twice each -- both were adjacent to me and side by side

2) Strike as many as 3 opponents; 2 as before, but the other was a 1/2 screen away, but in-line with the shot (the life leech made this unmistakeable)

3) strike an opponent off screen (again the life leech gave it away) after missing the aimed for target

My dwarf is around 30, and my cb was level 2 or 3 at the time, depending upon which equipment I had on.

• 8 months later...

I've always wondered if it was a chance to double hit similar to chance to crit. Maybe referencing your atk rating and enemies' def rating. The greater the difference between the 2 the higher chance to double hit. Or the CB level compared to enemy level.

See the same thing with the Glad's Stomping Jump. It can hit 1-6 times on a single enemy

And the unsolved mystery lives on, lol. Almost a year since the question was posed.

Here's a quick list of guesses as to what might be affecting the... Double whammy:

• Distance from foe
  • Angle from foe
  • Where in foe's body you right click. ex: head shot
  • size of foe (unlikely)
  • Char level and CA level vs. enemy level ratio
  • Pure Chance
  • Attack Rate

The last in the list, Attack Rate, is one that just came to mind after reading the topic here. It would make sense to me that higher Attack Rate could increase the chances of a Double whammy.

What made me want to learn more about this ability is the fact that a Double whammy has always at the minimum doubled the damage output. That's quite significant and if we had the power to increase how often it would happen... Well. That would be a whooole lota fun. :)

Oh and I just remembered the #1 reason I wanted to learn more about this. It was while I was MFing, (Farming sets and uniques with Greed Dwarf), that the need to know the secret of tha double whammy came to mind. I have opted to use CB most of the time because of the importance of one hit killing in order to have nice drops. My CB was barely strong enough one hit kill at the time and too often I would need to use 2-3 CB's in order to kill a boss type. I could have leveled up the CB but at the sacrifice of my nice regen on it. Double whammy's on the other hand was a guaranteed one hit kill. Naturally, discovering how to have consistent double whammy's is by far the very best thing to do because it won't cost anything. :woot:

So ummm. Could someone figure it out and then tell me please? :)

• 1 year later...

...the thread lurches to life again... *shamble of the undead*...

:oooo:

I always thought that CB hit twice if you were very accurate in your aim. Or at least, that seemed to be the mechanic for me. When my aim was sloppy I never got a double hit, but when my aim was dead on I always got two. Sort of like bowling for me... if my body does everything right, I KNOW I'm getting a strike just after releasing the ball... before the ball has traversed the lane. Same feeling for me with CB. Before shot lands I know if I'm getting 1 or 2 (or a grazing shot) hits.

Edited by FrostElfGuard

Nah Knuckles, can't be that, because at times I'd get the double hit, but on two enemies, the first gets the first hit, the second cannonball shoots past to hit the second enemy.