(ASL) American Sign Language...worth learning it?

At work, they're now offering to pay for a 3 year course in learning ASL. It's something I've always been interested in and was thinking that this could give me some insight into this silent world that most of us never hear much about. A few years ago I used to play hockey with a dude that was deaf, and it was so cool seeing him sign. He was also a better athlete than me :) lol, and I just couldn't help but feel my respect grow by seeing how much work he had to put into communicating and his teamwork on the ice. Even though he was deaf, his personality was just so naturally charismatic and he never had a problem making friends with anyone.

Anyway...signing had piqued my interest ever since then, and now with this new offer from work, I'm just so curious about how much this entails on my part. I'm just wondering how hard it is to learn. Do any of you guys know how to sign? Is it hard to learn, and could this have other other cool benefits for me in learning it?

Thanks!

:D

gogo

I know a Little bit Gogo I had a family member that was deaf before they passed away. There are times that I wished like Heck I learned more of it. There are many oppurtunities for people that know ASL ( sign language ) And most inturpretor jobs pay very very well here in New Mexico hmmm maybe I should learn it as a back up if my buisness goes south.

They are paying you to learn gogo? And something you are interested in as well? Come on

Unless its one of those offers that you either finish it for free or pay it yourself, I will take it no doubt. :)

ASL has one other use beyond talking with heraing impaired people... speech delayed children or those too young to talk. My son has tubes in now and is learning to talk with the help of speech therapy but before he got some useful words under his "belt" he used signs for some things that helped GREATLY in cutting down on his and ours frustration. Kids as young as 6 months are capable of communication but not speech communication. signs help greatly. not only that but asl may have american in the name but the signs are to some extent universal. A drink is a drink is a drink no matter what language the word is in the action is the same. (make a fist thumb out and make a drinking motion is one form of it). before my son really started to talk I would have love a course like this.

Gogo -

Not too many people know this about me, but I have a profound hearing loss and have been told by the medical professionals that it's only a matter of time before I am completely deaf. Even though I wear hearing aids I have had to learn to read lips in an effort to compensate and that's only marginally successful. Each day I can tell my hearing erodes a decibel or two and it's time my family and I considered taking a course in ASL. I have picked up some ASL along the way and find it's very intuitive and with practice can be a very effective communication tool with nuances galore.

I encourage you to follow through with this. I am very surprised just how many people have a hearing impairment and most do little to deal with it. Mine is about 80% genetic (voice range) and 20% damage-related (high pitch). I've had hearing aids for years and at maximum settings now they allow me to hear only about 40-50% of the sounds and voices around me.

There is nothing more pleasing than to deal with a person who is sensitive to folks with a hearing disability. With knowledge of ASL, those in customer service roles and those who have a gift for communication in general will open many new doors and make many new friends. It is a good thing to do. And with your gift of gab... well, what can I say - it's a natural fit.

One thing I've noticed about having a hearing disability is that when people have something very important to say, they whisper. This is very important, SO DO IT!

Sorry to hear that Highlander :D I hope there are some cure or it will not get worst any more :lol:

@gogo

Anything is worth learning as long as if you interested. It is great opportunity given to you. Don't miss it.

Edited by Yarasa

I have alot of friends who say YES, it is worth it to learn. I haven't taken any courses in it, but personally I think my time is spent better learning things I will use even more often in my workplace, or at home. It might even be better to jog a bit and add a few years to your life. :lol:

Highlander, great post and I am sorry to hear that. At least you have not lost it all. ^^

Thank you everyone!

I love all of your support regarding this and communications is really something that I'm passionate about. Cel, I've known you now for years, and I never knew about your hearing loss, however I'm so happy that you've got fantastic support from your family! I hope lip reading for you wasn't too hard to learn? Gene, EM, and everyone else, thank you for sharing your stories. You've helped me make my decision, and as myles and yarasa pointed out towards a free, great learning opportunity, I'm now even excited about putting in the extra time into learning this other language.

Well, I guess tommorrow I'll find out more info and see if there's a kind of waiting list.

Cheers all, thank you

:)

gogo