Pure magic + Orla's spear

When I got back into playing Sacred after 8-9 months away I started playing Seraphims. They are a class I hadn't really done much with during my initial year+ of playing the game an obscene amount. I've done two up to ~ lvl100: one is a hybrid that uses Orla's and the other is pure magic. If you read elsewhere in this forum about the "funny/stupid deaths" (or whatever) thread the pure magic died because I was dumb... and I'm going to abandon her and start over. The pure ridiculous destructive power of the Orla's alone gave me this idea: why not do a pure magic seraph build that can carry around the Orla's for the massive lightning spawning insanity damage?

If this works it will be the best of both worlds. My hybrid is currently level 107 and she is not exactly the best at killing dragons. The pure magic could use a combo move and drop 4 CL bombs, then add a 5th with the normal attack, and step back and watch the dragon fall quite easily. Nice action. The pure magic is a great mob killer but she can't quite jump into the middle of a mob that is 40+ levels higher than her like the Orla's carrying hybrid can (with 35% life steal). Combine the two? Sure!

I'm thinking:

Magic Lore

Heavenly Magic

Meditation

LH Weapons (to 10 only so you can wield Orlas)

Constitution

Armor

Parrying

Trading - or maybe Riding... either way you're going to be riding a horse around for the added HP

Dump everything into Mental Regen

Magic Lore should be at your level until at least level 50, same with Heavenly Magic because it not only decreases regen time but it increases the speed at which you cast the attacks.

Anyone done anything like this? How did it work out? Seems to me like she would be a mob killing, dragon slaying, VoT owning machine.

I may start her this weekend.

Thoughts?

The idea's good, and I think it'll work. My experience with Orla's is that most builds that run it never have any problems running the VOT. In fact, you'd probably even find peeps who'd say that running a build with Orlas makes it so easy that you may even get bored of it! :cha (18):

I'm confident with your skill picks, you'd have no problem with any of the regens, and if you're clever, you could even get a more more levels to your boost by using weapon slots. And if you're able to squeeze a goodish amount of crit...you're laughing. Orla's in busy servers is lethal to other players though ^^. If you see a whole bunch of peeps leave to run to other servers while screaming out in fright...Orla's...Orla's! Well, lol...you know why :hugs:

Good luck, and of course...be careful.

:bow:

gogo

p.s. I'd love to see some pics of this in action against niob mobs in the VOT. Give us seraphim fans something to be proud of!

So we started this build today.

Currently sitting at lvl36 after ~4.5 hours of game play. Not bad... not great either though some of that time was spent moving stuff around between characters to get her the right items.

After two levels with Orla's I can say that the pure killing machine that she could turn into is really scary. The time from lvl34 to lvl36 was considerably short. I was in a silver game with 3 other players and was running around outside Porto Vallum(sp?) kicking ass all over the orcs and goblins.

So far so good. It'll be interesting how this turns out in another 60 levels or so.

Hi :whistle:

I would like to add a *little* insight to Gogo's words:

In Vot Orla IS almost useless. At the Valley of Tears 5 type of monsters are the most common: the golems (war + simple aka green and brown) Pods, Shadow demons and Sakkara Demons. The problem with Orla starts (if you mean the full Orla with the sparks) that the majority of the enemies will be GREATLY RESISTANT to magic damage - the damage your full set bonus gives you.

Orla sparks are that powerful because of their quantity and the chain reaction of "one sparks triggers the other" effect. This works pretty fine against creatures with no or not too strong magical resistance. On the other hand creatures with enough magic resistance are only a very little effected by the sparks. This creates an ever growing spark number with almost no leech (because the extreemly low damage you do) and a lot of monsters mobbing your char. This alone could be frightful enough but the LAG monster is awakened too. Orla is always laggy a bit but in this case the LAG could either kill you or crush the server in a few minutes. So a char with ORLA should avoid VOT and magic resistant creatures. Later in game the overall performance of Orla will drop because even the weakes creatures will gain some magic resist - there will be still areas where you could play with it but IMHO its simply not worth.

If the given seraphim would try actually fight with Orla the posion damage (Orla mounts nice poison damage) would help BUT:

#1, bdiggity's seraphim is clearly a magic build. So she wouldnt be able to fight with Orla (ofc without the full bonus) efficienty.

#2, if you want to go a mainly melee seraphim then there are much much better equipments and weapons than Orla spear.

So AVOID VOT with an Orla char. If not for your own safety then pls do it for the others (if you play MP)

This build if still based on ORLA would never be a "VoT owning machine". Actually only a few seraphim builds could do that and magic builds are not really among them.

Orla is a great help and a monstrous killing maschine in bronze, silver, gold, maybe even in plat servers if you avoid the high hp/high resist enemies - but in niob Orla's efficinecy drops greatly. Combine this with the constantly increasing lag it creates the whole concept could turn to be a failure.

My own magic Seraphim accidentally picked LHW (to be exact Lag picked it instead of me for her last skill) tried out combining Orla and her considerable magical powers but I quickly decided that I kill faster and much more cleaner without that cursed stick of lag.

If you still feel that you need something external help (like Orlas sparks) try Fadalmar Axe instead. Duel wield it and with creative socketing you could get the fireball bonus. Now that is a much better choise if you plan to be around VoT. Not too stylish but at least working (and the only way to create a magic seraphim who could own VoT).

If you are interested in my opinion: go pure magic - forget Orla - avoid VoT. You will still have a lot of fun and killing potential.

Csaszar

• 12 years later...
On 8/25/2007 at 4:35 PM, gogoblender said:

The idea's good, and I think it'll work. My experience with Orla's is that most builds that run it never have any problems running the VOT. In fact, you'd probably even find peeps who'd say that running a build with Orlas makes it so easy that you may even get bored of it! :cha (18):

I'm confident with your skill picks, you'd have no problem with any of the regens, and if you're clever, you could even get a more more levels to your boost by using weapon slots. And if you're able to squeeze a goodish amount of crit...you're laughing. Orla's in busy servers is lethal to other players though ^^. If you see a whole bunch of peeps leave to run to other servers while screaming out in fright...Orla's...Orla's! Well, lol...you know why :hugs:

Good luck, and of course...be careful.

:bow:

gogo

p.s. I'd love to see some pics of this in action against niob mobs in the VOT. Give us seraphim fans something to be proud of!

I hope I get a resurrection badge, but I've build an Orla Gust of Wind Battlemage and Dragon's die in 1 or 2 casts... I don't think I can find a way to get my Fire Spiral Battlemage to ever match my GoW Battlemage now...

Edited by Zettt