3:10 to Yuma

Ike

There was a sneak preview of this movie showing Sunday night at the local multiplex. I had seen a couple of trailers for it and it looked like it could be OK, so we went to see it. There had been a few user reviews -- several positive ones followed by one saying it bit and that the other people who reviewed it must have been from the distributor. So my expectations were not overly high. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was really very good. Even my wife, not much of a Western buff, enjoyed it.

First, the scenary and locations seemed reasonably authentic. Second, the movie did not have a ton of glaring anachronisms (thinking about Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and the keg of gunpowder, and its ilk). Yes, there is an explosion or two, but they are very much in-period. It was certainly a violent movie, but other than a few things, mostly believable. I thought the bandits' losses during the initial stage-coach robbery were a little much to be worth the score, but they could just be hired thugs. Otherwise, not too bad. The characters were complex and well developed. You could pretty well figure out their motivations and they did a few surprising things here and there to keep you on your toes and to keep them from being mere characatures.

After I left the theater, I felt like seeing more westerns. High praise indeed, as not that many westerns have really excited me of late. :D

• 1 month later...

OK, a little follow-up. I just saw the original and it was very differentfrom the remake. Makes me appreciate the remake even more. Both have similar character/moral struggles, although the original spends VERY little time on the trip to Contention. In fact, you blink and you miss it.

It is interesting that both were based on the same material, but they obviously took very different paths.