Temple Guardian Build Help

Hi everyone,

I'll start with a little bit of context about me. I'm an old time gamer in my early 40s and a happily married dad of 2. Most of my now dearly precious gaming time is spent playing games online with my brother who's got a similar profile. We play almost exclusively RPGs and often miss the games of old, and decided to dive into Sacred 2 which is a title we missed back in the days.

Just typing this to apologize in advance if my request for help sounds lazy. I would absolutely understand and get where you veterans are coming from. 

Anyway, we picked up the game and dove right in for a couple nights now, expecting our relatively extensive RPG experience to cover the basics for us. We're having a ton of fun exploring and doing quests together but DAMN, we (and especially I) are super confused about character building.

I lack the time to do proper research like I did back in the days, which is a shame 'cause it's something I used to enjoy a lot. I have been reading and intend to read a lot more as I go but again, time is precious, and I'd rather spend as much time as I can actually playing with my bro. And so I turn to you.

My brother picked Shadow Warrior which seems a straightforward enough class. Temple Guardian immediately picked my interest and despite the game warning me it was more aimed at experienced players, I went through with it.

So my first question would be, was it a really bad idea ? Is there another class I should have picked for a more casual experience ?

One reason that convinced me to pick it is that it seemed like a good support class while bro's seemed like a DPS type. I also thought the arm gun meant it was a ranged class which seemed like a good idea for a duo. I am not so sure anymore from what I've read though.

I'd be grateful for any tip, advice or build you guys would be willing to share, in context to what I typed here. If there exists a relatively no hassle build that I could follow or at least carry me low-mid game before I catch up in knowledge without screwing my guy for late game, please let me know. :)

Cheers ~

Edited by n33k33

Hi :bye:, it's good to see people still coming to this game after so many years!

On 5/21/2021 at 12:18 AM, n33k33 said:

We're having a ton of fun exploring and doing quests together but DAMN, we (and especially I) are super confused about character building.

Character building in Sacred2 can be confusing at first, but once you undestand the key aspects becomes way easier. In the wiki you can find everything you need to undestand what Skills, Attributes, Combat Arts and bonuses do (since the in-game info sometimes does not help at all). Ofc you can still ask me anything if something is not clear!

So my first question would be, was it a really bad idea ? Is there another class I should have picked for a more casual experience ?

The Temple Guardian is an atypical character with unique mechanics (for example, his robotic arm does not allow him to carry shields or two-handed weapons, but allows him to attack from a distance or receive bonuses depending on the Combat Art selected) and that can be hard to understand, especially if he is the first character you play, but do not worry, that doesn't mean it's a bad idea for a casual experience.
The Temple Guardian tends to be frail at the beginning, but recovers fast after you unlock some Skills and Combat Arts. The Seraphim and the Shadow Warrior are the best classes to start with because they are tough and easy to play.

I'd be grateful for any tip, advice or build you guys would be willing to share, in context to what I typed here. If there exists a relatively no hassle build that I could follow or at least carry me low-mid game before I catch up in knowledge without screwing my guy for late game, please let me know.

In the wiki you can find some builds made by the community over the years, here are some for the Temple Guardian, if you want to build your Temple Guardian as a support character I suggest you to develop the Source Warden aspect, since it's Combat Arts can heal and increase fire/ice resistance of your allies, and the Devout Guardian aspect for melee combat (buff and shield).

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but if you have any question do not hesitate to ask! :wink:

Edited by Loromir
  • Appreciation 1
14 hours ago, Loromir said:

Hi :bye:, it's good to see people still coming to this game after so many years!

Thanks ! Like I said, I wish we didn't miss the game back then 'cause it looks like everything we enjoy. ^^

I've been reading and am starting to get around the basic mechanics of the game. It's quite complex and overwhelming but the freedom of builds is just super impressive !

After reading many guides, I think I'll be loosely following this one here:

The guide is a little vague but sounds like you can't go wrong with a Devout base, and I like how he describes going Source later on. Should allow me to adapt depending on how things work out with my bro's build and what the game throws at us.

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome again and I'll be sure to ask more specific questions if needed. :)

Edited by n33k33
  • Appreciation 1
On 5/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, Loromir said:

Character building in Sacred2 can be confusing at first, but once you undestand the key aspects becomes way easier. In the wiki you can find everything you need to undestand what Skills, Attributes, Combat Arts and bonuses do (since the in-game info sometimes does not help at all). Ofc you can still ask me anything if something is not clear!

The Temple Guardian is an atypical character with unique mechanics (for example, his robotic arm does not allow him to carry shields or two-handed weapons, but allows him to attack from a distance or receive bonuses depending on the Combat Art selected) and that can be hard to understand, especially if he is the first character you play, but do not worry, that doesn't mean it's a bad idea for a casual experience.
The Temple Guardian tends to be frail at the beginning, but recovers fast after you unlock some Skills and Combat Arts. The Seraphim and the Shadow Warrior are the best classes to start with because they are tough and easy to play.

In the wiki you can find some builds made by the community over the years, here are some for the Temple Guardian, if you want to build your Temple Guardian as a support character I suggest you to develop the Source Warden aspect, since it's Combat Arts can heal and increase fire/ice resistance of your allies, and the Devout Guardian aspect for melee combat (buff and shield).

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but if you have any question do not hesitate to ask! :wink:

Thanks Loromir for the links and helpful info.. Temple Guardians are especially difficult to build... those mechanics are pretty complex compared to a good ole Warrior!

:viking:

gogo