Evil's Quick Tips for Starting a Battle Mage

Well I have had people ask me on several occasions how do I get a level 1 mage to kick butt like I do.

Here is how......

1. I have a low level trader. (My dwarf) you dont want any more level's than 3 on him. Any more than that is a waste. Because you wont be able to wear half the gear you find right off the bat.

With my low level trader I generally buy in this order........

7 to 9 + 1 to spell ammies.

Life leach enough to equal 8 to 10% starting off (rings and ammies)

Crit hit no more than 5%

regen spells rings and ammies

far sight no more than +26 or 27 total.

Next with my trader I find a MAX socketed shield with loads of regen spells

and a sword with max sockets and regen spells.

Next think I look for is any bm gear my trader can find. with sockets of course with regen spells any other bonuses is a plus and will help out greatly.

This next step is for if your trader can't find any bm gear. And at this point I Xfer over all my trader has bought.

Look for max sockets on any gear you need left. ( Note your bm will have a tough time finding the following at level 1 Boots, Bracers, and Belt. It may take you till level 6 to get your full starter gear but its worth the wait)

Now all that is left is for you to play your evil creation and cause chaos through out the lands.

well sounds good to me Evil, but not to be harsh or sound evil or anything most people know this already, just like my guide writing school was no success is because people know what they want and so on. nut it's still a great idear :sick:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FrostElfTwin

Suggested additions:

1) Horse: 220 speed horse for 5,000 gold in Mascarell. 0 riding required. Makes getting runes from quests a LOT faster.

2) Speed Bridle for your horse. buy the fastest bridle you can find. +25 is available at level 5 (if not before).

3) Speed Slot: in addtion to the ammies mentioned, buy 6 +X speed amulets and socket one set of equipment (4 slot mage staves are hide to find, so I settle for 6 slots)

The speed slot will give you at least 30 to your speed on foot, possibly 48... which is great. For those times when you just have move about on foot (under haven isle using the portals for instance).

==============================

I recently went over to the dark side (the German side)... and surprise! Had no characters, no gold, no "To All Skills: +1" amulets, no "To All Spells: +1" amulets...

My first thought was: RUNES! So I created a Vamp rune farmer.

Then I thought: I should have a Greedy Dwarf...

Then I thought: Gosh! I really would like to try out a Bottomless Pit Dark Elf.

In the end, I realized I really wanted to play a BM.

A BM with my normal start (max sockets, +6 spells in one weapon slot, adequate life leech (around 18%), and a GM rune.) Doh!

I wish I'd read your guide when I jumped into German Sacred! It would've put my head on straight.

Excellent suggestions.

• 6 years later...

And what about for the rest of us? Those that don't play multiplayer and mule over items? One thing I've found that works best early on is maxing SB this can be done wit any character, go to the wood elf/dark elf campaign starting point with any toon with some type of ranged weapon in your hand (guns, bows, xbows) try to kill as little as possible gettin there ie. Avoid the wolves in front of the cliff... go thru the cave to come out on top of the cliff pull out your ranged weapon and move till you see the circle beneath your feet. Leave your toon there, come back in about 8 to 10 hours and you will have almost maxed SB. Thus allowing you to get much better drops, low level item sets, etc at an earlier level