Could I be salt defficient?

K...it's been a few times now that peeps have always asked for salt when eating food I make, and...I've noticed that other peeps in restaurants and at work ALWAYS seem to liberally sprinkle the stuff on. I don't have salt at home...never though of buying it (parents?) and so everything I cook comes out tasting...lol, naked?

Just yesterday I tried adding sprinkling salt on my food...and wow...it really DID impact the taste...but that burning sensation I got at the back of my neck after eating salt like that was gross.

Is there a problem with me never adding salt to my food?

:)

gogo

Err, are you sure you're throat isn't broken? :)

I just tested by eating some salt and I didn't feel anything unusual.

On a more serious note, did you drink enough water while eating? As salt usually dehydrates things.

As for you having a salt defficiency, I have no clue, but it might be possible, you should really ask a nutritionist about it.

Well you get sodium from salt, mainly its what the salt would provide you. If you do get your sodium from other sources, there shouldn't be any problem.

But then I'm not doctor either. It is odd that you don't have salt that's all. :)

Gogo, foods are already packed with enough sodium so your sodium intake shouldn't suffer at all. Salt really is used for adding taste, if you are making it up with herbs and spices you wouldn't need it.

I only use sea salt and tend to use the most when cooking pasta (the saying is you should use enough salt as though your your pasta was cooked in the Mediterranean sea). I still have the salt grinder on the table for those that need that extra boost (though it cheeses me off as I hate it when people add salt before they taste the food).

99% likely there is no problem with your food.

1% likely that you know how to put salt on your food. :)

Don't put very much, just a *pinch*.

Salt is great, but seasoned salt it better for food, in small portions. I like Cajun. No problem with low salt food at all. In fact, it is good unless you sweat profusely from aerobic activity every day, like I do. I crave salt after I work out. If you are not craving salt, I think it is safe to say you are fine.

Actually I only use sea or table salt for cooking. For sprinkling on food to accent the taste I use some thing called redmond real salt. This is the link to their web page

http://www.realsalt.com/

And a quote from one of their pages explaining a bit the difference:

"See the Difference!

Compared to RealSalt brand salt, regular “table salts” and also many sea salts appear stark white because they have undergone harsh bleaching and refining. By contrast, RealSalt is extracted from deep within the earth, crushed, screened, and packaged without any bleaching or refining. RealSalt’s unique “pinkish” appearance and flecks of color come from more than 50 natural trace minerals, including iodine. "

Thanks guys for the feedback. Indy actually mentionned that governement Radiated salt is how we get our iodine. Running off to the store to stock up on radiation full vitamins:4rofl:. The info on salt though is awesome...I forgot how many kinds they were...and how they all could taste so different. Mentionned to my parents about how come we don't use salt and my mom just shrugged.

:sick:

gogo

Ummm. Could you pass the salt please? :sick:

I loooove salt. And not a hint. The salt must own the meal, haha. Oh I doubt your salt deficient gogo but you could certainly afford to have some more.

*Knocks some more salt into the spaghetti sauce*

Ooops! :D

I do not think you are salt defficient just salt unenlightened. As I read your freinds posts I agree there are many forms of salt and ways of using them. It is the spice of life so to say. I do not think however that it can be replaced by herbs. Used in moderation it is not evil but a delight to the palate.Table salt is best for cooking as its qualities are best served as a blending of flavors. The more expensive coarser sea salts are better served as a finishing touch to your dish.

I would tend to agree with everyone Gogo. When I cook I use different salts for different style's of food. But as Funki said our foods are loaded with natural sodium anyways. But Heck Season away my friend it makes food taste better. Just use it in moderation. And blade I know what you mean about wanting salt after working out. Sweating is a bummer and kills the sodium levels in your body.

iodine eh? That's a good point Indy made. It is an essential mineral that we definitely need, but then we only need so little of it.

If you have a balanced diet I don't think you will miss out on your iodine gogo. I dunno about the Pogo diet though. :hugs:

K...it's been a few times now that peeps have always asked for salt when eating food I make, and...I've noticed that other peeps in restaurants and at work ALWAYS seem to liberally sprinkle the stuff on. I don't have salt at home...never though of buying it (parents?) and so everything I cook comes out tasting...lol, naked?

Just yesterday I tried adding sprinkling salt on my food...and wow...it really DID impact the taste...but that burning sensation I got at the back of my neck after eating salt like that was gross.

:D

gogo

No gogo, you do not need to add any salt to your plate, cause virtually all the mcdonalds you eat is packed with more sodium that you ever need :D

:lol:

gogo

No gogo, you do not need to add any salt to your plate, cause virtually all the mcdonalds you eat is packed with more sodium that you ever need :bounce:

Yeah, and noticing that other people who put salt on their food may we ll be getting too much (given the amount of salt in pre-prepared food/sauses/etc). If you live somewhere hot &/or sweat lots, you'll probably need to eat more salt than if you don't.

Good point llama, some people need more then others.

And Borg, great post up there. I never thought about the difference in salt, and the minerals they can take out of it when they refine it. I'll have to look into that... but Tabasco is still the ultimate salt source. :bye:

@ Outta town: Don't you just hate it when you see people at MacDonalds dumping salt on their fries. I don't feel well now... BRB. :cry:

Good point llama, some people need more then others.

And Borg, great post up there. I never thought about the difference in salt, and the minerals they can take out of it when they refine it. I'll have to look into that... but Tabasco is still the ultimate salt source. :bye:

@ Outta town: Don't you just hate it when you see people at MacDonalds dumping salt on their fries. I don't feel well now... BRB. :bow:

Thanks Blade I actually ran across the information in a book called The Cure a radical in ways book but has good points as some do to pick up on The other thing I used from the book is the bottled water suggestion

Nice, it sounds like a fun book to read. Might have a couple good ideas, but I think I would enjoy very much hearing some of the radical suggestions! :evil:

The water suggestion is either Fiji Water or Hawaiian Ice just because when you read what is in the water as opposed to the "designer" waters you will get more natural elements and minerals but there is way to much in the book to try to go into here. And I just use 10% of the suggestions in my life style of eating cause others are too extreme but the logic in everything in the book is pretty basic

Wonderful, I'm sure you have a great quality of water down there in florida.

Just for fun... what was one of the most extreme fanatical idea in the book? Eating leaves or something?! :music:

Actually I am 154 miles 247 kilometers from the main land so all our water comes thru from pipes in the mainland. And its not that good. The best idea in the book was eating uncooked food IE: raw enzymes The most extreme probably would be some of his cleansing routines

But as you can see in my Borg's BBQ section I am not a health nut *lol*

Edited by Borg

That is kinda what I meant, was being sarcastic lol! :hugs: (I saw that you live in Key west ^^ )

And I don't think anybody would be a health nut after they ate some of your BBQ and my salsa (made some more last night ;) )

:music:

Edited by Blade
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry my friend some how I missed your response until now.

o.k. guess you will have to come to Key West where I can really show you food like Conch

( ha that should start something)

Hey GoGo. No I don't think you are deficiant either. I don't eat or cook with salt either. There are only a couple of things that I can think of that I add salt too...1 when cooking spaghetti noodles I add just a pinch of salt to help them from sticking together, 2 fresh tomatoe slices, 3 corn on the cobb. I use "sea salt" only as a regular salt and have plenty of "season salt" on hand for seasoning.

And for the "rare" occasions that we eat out at McDonald's I order my fries without salt which serves 2 purposes ... 1 they are hot and fresh and 2 they are not "sickenly" over salted.....LOL.

A BIG HELLO to all of the D.a.r.k. Clan!

Stargazer aka Angel

Ahhh, Stargaze, VERY clever that..asking for unsalted to make sure they're fresh... great idea...and I do like the idea of salting them myself according to taste. And Outtatown, I do think there are cases of lack of salt in the body but in rare instances only...maybe after running a marathon?

:D

gogo

p.s. I like the idea of using tabasco as an alternative salt source...but because It satisfies our taste buds that way...wouldn't it mean that it was high in sodium?

Guest FrostElfTwin

Tasbasco ... isn't it high in Chili oil? The burning stuff?

Joining this one late... but here goes.

I heard of someone who had a heart problem (probably high blood pressure)... he was probably an older adult... probably had a heart attack or two.

Doc told him to watch his salt intake. That is: cut it down.

So, his wife heard that... and cut salt out from his diet. His BP goes down, Doc gets happy.

And... eventually... he starts having unexplained weird problems.

Fingers and toes go numb. Test. Test. Test.

Nothing.

Doc is having a hard time pining down what is going wrong.

So. He wants to get the guy to take insulin, since he thinks the guy is a diabetic. (Since diabetics get screwed up in so many ways).

Guy resists.

And resists. Doc puts more pressure on.

See... the thing is: once you start taking insulin, even if you're body doesn't need it... you STOP producing it for yourself. You BECOME diabetic.

So, the guy was afraid of that. Sure he wasn't already diabetic.

And then... he had a meal NOT prepared by his wife. And he got better right away.

The clincher was this: His wife ELIMINATED salt from his diet. Gone. 0. Not there.

WRONG THING TO DO!!

-----

that all being said... salt is a necessary part of your diet. Your blood has the same salt content as seawater (where we all come from). You NEED it. But, just like anything else... took much is bad, and not enough is bad too.

-----

Salt is one of the major spices used to enhance flavour. So is MSG (umami? Some Japanese word). We have 5 taste receptors we know about: Salt, bitter, sour, sweet and umami. Pepper is another big one too. Also curry. :)

As has been said a lot in this thread, salt is incorporated in a lot of prepared foods... as are the other flavour enhancers too.

---

Salt we need it, but too much is bad for us too.

PS: You can get away with just about any imbalance in terms of eating when you're younger... it's when you're older that things'll catch up with you.

PPS: Oh. umami naturally occurs in tomatoes, cheeses, meats. No wonder I love hamburger noodle cassarole with tomatoe sauce! Yum!