Sacred Wiki - Latest Updates

I need to add a word about directions. The only time words such as east, south, west, north etc. are capitalized are when they begin a sentence or are part of a name. I have been trying to correct that as I go through and see those words capitalized when they should not be.

Great work

We also have to make sure that the words we are creating because they are "correct" don't orphan previous bodies of work, or at least note to me and brad that a page move is necessary, etc...

Ysne is there a place that you are seeing it in an upcoming page that will be impacted by this re-writing of a word due to direction?

The rewriting to Epic Office Quest is fine now as well, as there is a re-direct in place temporarily. Whew! That at least till we can get to it and actually edit the name change.

Cheers

:)

gogo

None of those are linked Go-Go. I'm not messing with titles in links, other than to correct misspellings if the links are red (Entruag was spelled Enturag) and replace something wonderful with epic office. I have six employees left to go. Whew!

As far as screen shots go, Sacred 2 saves in a .tba extension. I can open them on my computer. I will need to download a third party software such as gimp to save them in any other format. It looks like you use the .jpg format. Does anyone know whether GIMP opens .tga files?

Edited by Ysne58

One stupid question. How to put an uploaded image under some category?

Well, the second question is about links to the map. How to get one?

Looks like, while wishing to work with quests, I started with quest NPCs. I want to try doing few pages today, just to understand how it works. Of course, I've read all the help-files, but I still want to ask about some things.

Edited by Silver_fox

None of those are linked Go-Go. I'm not messing with titles in links, other than to correct misspellings if the links are red (Entruag was spelled Enturag) and replace something wonderful with epic office. I have six employees left to go. Whew!

As far as screen shots go, Sacred 2 saves in a .tba extension. I can open them on my computer. I will need to download a third party software such as gimp to save them in any other format. It looks like you use the .jpg format. Does anyone know whether GIMP opens .tga files?

GIMP lists:

TarGA image (*.tga, *.vda, *.icb, *.vst)

I tried, and I can open .TGA files.

On the Upload page in the Summary add [[Category:Black Oaks Images|{{PAGENAME}}]] (change Black Oaks to the appropriate name) and then browse and upload the pic.

After saving, go to the middle of that page and in the text box add a description of the pic(s) added, I.e.' Black Oaks Pics' and then finally on same page at bottom in the summary add this code [[Category:Artamark Place Images|Artamark Place Images]] (Again change the the text to what applies to your pics) And then click Save Page

(If I'm doing multiple pics in one category, I'll back page twice to return to original upload screen to add another pic, rinse and repeat for all the pics in that category and then click Save Page after all have been uploaded)

Irfanview will also open tga files and I find for myself it is much easier to work with

edit: If you mean adding actual coordinates from the map to a particular page, we don't have that feature quite yet. From my understanding it was a feature of Map-Lib and now that we have moved it we need to figure out another way of linking coords

Since I haven't looked at Gimp in over a year, I will give that Irfanview a try.

I have now finished going through all 89 employees. They correctly reference the Epic Office Quest and most of them have descriptions on how to find them. There are a couple that were self explanatory, like Carolyn Hacker that I did not add extra descriptions to.

The pages still are probably not perfect, but they are better than they were.

So I started with the quests. Somewhy The Turtle Eggs. So I tried to do some things with this page. I corrected some typos, moved (and added) some notes to the 'Notes' section, edited text a bit, replaced the map shots with the ones of the opened map (I consider them much more helpful in navigation than the ones almost covered with the fog of war), added the starting dialog. I also wanted to replace the log-shot with the one of the modern version (since the one that present has a 2.02 layout), but understood that it's not good to have a CM-quests in the log. So I'd probably take another screenshot later.

I'm not sure if the outcome is somewhat good. I'm just getting started. I also don't know what to do with map-shots. When they are small, they are almost useless (thumbnails are unreadable, and don't look very good), when they are big, the whole page layout looks a bit empty. I tried to compromise...

Also added two NPCs, Ranger Mekeliel and Gemblik. I'd be happy if somebody takes a look, since I'm tired and this fact can make my english really crappy.

Long story short: You'd better critique me while I'm getting started (and it's not too late). Also I think I'd learn faster if you'd suggest me which things to try.

It looks really good Silver :)

To get the thumbnails to the proper size try this

Before : [[image:Turtle map.jpg]]

After: [[image:Turtle map.jpg|160px]]

160px is the size I'm using for my map thumbnails. (you may want it a different size so feel free to experiment :) )

edit: we do need to remove the ad from inside the actual page content and then move some of the stuff to the left...but that is coding. Gogo or Schot can help with fixing that. They make all the codes, I just copy and paste them :)

Again it really is looking really nice :thumbsup:

Since I haven't looked at Gimp in over a year, I will give that Irfanview a try.

I have now finished going through all 89 employees. They correctly reference the Epic Office Quest and most of them have descriptions on how to find them. There are a couple that were self explanatory, like Carolyn Hacker that I did not add extra descriptions to.

The pages still are probably not perfect, but they are better than they were.

The pages are looking really nice Ysne :D Nice job

Edit: I just did the Twainbrook cemetery page, so everything is set to be proofed in the Tyr Lysia section

Thanks Knuckles:

I really wanted this part of the wiki to look much better. Since I was already figuring out how to find them all and taking notes, I thought it was worthwhile to help out others in finding them all.

The work done is awesome! Great detailing on everyone's parts. Regarding the ads, if this helps, please just don't use the ad code and pull it out. For now, this will give a better palette for everyone to work on while putting up their quests. Actually the scraper along the left was distorting the template, so if/when anyone is working on a quest, if you want to remove the left tall ad code that runs along the page go for it.

Silver, the NPC pages are filling in nicely. This is a HUGE boon to the wiki, as it kind of populates the game. As soon as Schot is able to put the code up for the mapping, we'll eventually be able to string almost every single page in the wiki to where it comes from in the map world.

gogo

I'm working on the South Brigand Camp right now.

@Silver_Fox when you get to the Highwayman quest, the page could use a picture of the high elf soldier located outside the southern brigand camp. http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:High_Elf_Soldier

The page itself is looking pretty good. I'm checking the links other than quest links and places links from that page right now.

That is about as much editing as I can wrap my mind around today. I will start up again tomorrow.

Edited by Ysne58

Thanks Knuckles:

I really wanted this part of the wiki to look much better. Since I was already figuring out how to find them all and taking notes, I thought it was worthwhile to help out others in finding them all.

I think it was your return that has started this uber edit return to the quest section. You're just as intense with the work as when you started so long ago with us!

:bounce:

gogo

It really is starting to take off again after a lull in the action :D

When we moved all the pics over to our wiki, not all the pics could be moved as some are on members' photobucket accounts. I just ran into this on the Car Showroom page. While doing quests (or any wiki work) could you keep an eye out for all the pic links? If you see any that have external links could you please let us know. If you already have pics to replace them, well that's even better :)

Thx in advance.

p.s. it is really cool to look at the Recent Changes page and see all the content that has been added lately :D

That's good point. Bucket's are supposed to be out of use now as a practice...if anyone sees a bucket image, can you please upload it to the wiki by coping then uploading it to the database? And if yer not comfy with doing that yet, please just post for us and we can upload it as well.

Ayuh recent changes is awesome sauce!

gogo

I will try to watch for non wiki images then. I just checked the Brigand Camp edits and it looks like those pages already contain wiki images.

Sometimes, when one person does something it will act as a catalyst or a ripple in a pond effect. It is great when that happens in a positive way.

I have a question about quests added after the game came out, the specific example I am thinking of is the Farm Owner quest in Sloeford. How do we account in the wiki for the fact that this quest was added to the game later? How are we even going to know that in the later stages of the game? (that quest has not yet been added to the wiki by the way).

@Silver_fox: Do you want me to keep looking at the npc pages from places, or would you like me to wait for those until after you have done the quests in that area?

I have a question about quests added after the game came out, the specific example I am thinking of is the Farm Owner quest in Sloeford. How do we account in the wiki for the fact that this quest was added to the game later? How are we even going to know that in the later stages of the game? (that quest has not yet been added to the wiki by the way).

Ysne, I'm not sure what you mean by this actually. Are you talking about non-canon quests that are added to the game that are coming from patches like CM?

gogo

Ysne, I'm not sure what you mean by this actually. Are you talking about non-canon quests that are added to the game that are coming from patches like CM?

gogo

I think that was added by the CM patch, but it might have been in Ice & Blood, I simply do not remember.

Well, there is canon from developers...and the new info from the fans. We haven't really fleshed out how we are going to run the new cm info into the wikill.. it's own section complete? Or notes in parts of Wiki already set up? I'll have a look at some other wiki's as well to see how they have worked with new changes like this.

gogo

Well, there is canon from developers...and the new info from the fans. We haven't really fleshed out how we are going to run the new cm info into the wikill.. it's own section complete? Or notes in parts of Wiki already set up? I'll have a look at some other wiki's as well to see how they have worked with new changes like this.

gogo

Sounds like a good plan.

Is there a list from the developers of the all the quests?

I know the Oblivion wiki has a section just for some of the mods that have been made for that game. I haven't looked at their wiki for Morrowind, but there are still some pretty good mods coming out from that game too.

Edited by Ysne58

I'm finally conscious and is capable of writing feedbacks.

@Knuckles: Thank you for thumbnails-changing. I was too tired to experiment with sizes yesterday. Bur I think that maybe I'll try 200px instead of 160. I wanted to make the maps somewhat readable even without enlarging.

@Ysne58: I would be taking pics of the quest-givers anyway. I don't know how to divide the work among us all. It won't be hard for me to check all the quest NPCs on my way, yet it would take some time. Maybe while reading place page you might check all the links to the NPCs in this area (To make sure the place page lists its NPCs). At least in red links for the beginning. Because that's the thing I'm not working on. And while going through quests I'd fill all the pages on my way. That's just a suggestion though.

And by the way, the quest you mentioned is a CM-only one. We really should make a section for them. And all alters CM do to existing quests may go to the notes. By the way, for some quests I'm going to make notes about their behavior in the different versions of the canon as well (for those I remember). CM really deserves attention in the wiki, not only because of all the work the team put into in, but because of the fact that Ice and Blood is bugged and Ascaron is dead. So now CM-team does all the troubleshooting. The game just works better with CM, so installing it is quite a choice for all the single and open-net players.

And finally, the thing you asked me about some time ago is here.

My suggestions of the quest-template changes:

1. Lets specify, that the pic on the right is supposed to be a map with the quest-giver's location. To have two of them is better (both world-map and mini-map to specify the location exactly). After all, the first question about each quest is 'Where could I take it?' And quest-location specifies the quest better than anything else. I think it'd also be nice to add a frame to those map(s).

2. Lets list all the pics necessarily included in the detailed walkthrough. My suggestion here: the starting dialog, the map that shows quest's final destination and the possible ways to it. Also I consider it necessary to include all the inside dialogs, like decision ones but it can't be made into the template.

3. I think it's not necessary to insert the pics of all the NPCs, but the links to their respectable pages.

4. The quest-log, of course. I think, that for CM-altered quests it's better to have two shots in the log section. Something like: 'In Sacred Ice and Blood 2.65.2: <some screenshots>, With the CM-patch: <some screenshots>'.

That's what I have for now. Might add more later.

Long post is long. Thank you for reading.

Have you noticed that there are several NPCs called 'High Elf Soldier' in the game? Yet the wiki has only one page for High Elf Soldier, and that's the one form Sloeford. But he is also stated as a quest-giver for the Highwaymen quest which you can take from another soldier guy in the Brigand Camp.

I'm going to create another page for the Brigand Camp soldier now and to name it 'High Elf Soldier from the Brigand Camp'. Is it possible to rename the existing High Elf Soldier into 'High Elf Soldier from Sloeford' to prevent further mistakes?

EDIT

Done with the High Elf Soldier from the Brigand Camp.

/EDIT

Edited by Silver_fox

HI Silver, the name scheme for multiple instances is usually something like High Elf Solder (Sloeford) like we do in light and dark campaigns when discerning tween same named quests with light/dark modifiers always in brackets.

If you make another page with the bracketed naming scheme, we can move your data from this old page to the new one...thankfully there are not too many links connecting to it yet. Relatively simple job

gogo

Also did pages for original Sacred 2:High Elf Soldier and the Highwaymen quest. I hope they look OK. Also modified Hunting Highwaymen, adding images and links.

Sorry, Gogo. I just noticed your post. I'll try to find out how to do it. And sorry for multi-posting. Looks like this forum doesn't allow to edit the post after some time have passed(I'm getting the error messages).

Well, I seem to be unlucky. I can't find a page to look as a sample of the bracketed naming scheme. Can you link me to one, please. I just want to look at some example of how it could be done. All the links to the quests that have the same name in the Light and Shadow Campaigns take you to the Light one. And there are two pages with different names for these quests.

Edited by Silver_fox