Parcels...what joy!

I had forgotten the delight of getting a parcel in the mail. Heck I'd forgotten how much fun it was just to get a handwritten letter in the mail! So today was an especially yummy day. My uncle had informed me a two weeks ago, that he had an old (for him, lol) mp3 player that he wasn't using anymore, and with my often time long waits at bus stops, he was kind enough to offer it to me, saying that he was happy that his three month old purchase, barely used and still with stickers on, could be appreciated by me while he got a new phone with mp3 player in it.

Well, the waiting was long...when isn't it for stuff like this? Going to the mailbox every day, peeking in, eyebrows raised, smile on my face...and then dejection. lol, this went on for a few days, and I was actually hoping to catch the mailman as he was delivering so that I wouldn't get the notice telling me that the parcel had missed me and I had to pick it up...I wanted to get it then and there. Well...just yesterday, I looked in the mailbox, saw nothing, ran out to buy some groceries, and when I got back...darn...the notice was in the box, and it also said that I could pick it up the following day..which was today. I was sleepless and excited last night, anxious to get me sweaty palms on what I'd read was supposed to be a fantastic little gadget, and this morning woke up promptly, didn't even buy my coffee and barreled out the door down to the post office five minutes away to find out that the parcel had not been delivered to the office near me but instead to the one about a twenty five minute walk away.

nooooooooooo...

So, I girded up and started to walk. A long walk, but sometimes walks like this make getting there even that much more appreciated. Got to the desk, the very polite lady had me sign for the package...

And voila!

So light though! lol, I was pitching it up and down on my way home because I couldn't believe how light this dandy could be. In fact, on the way home I was entertaining thoughts that perhaps someone could have stolen it out of the package and switched it for feathers!

:o

The walk home was rather uneventful and upon getting home, I again looked carefully at the box my uncle had packaged it in. Seeing real hand writing on the box got me to thinking...these kinds of things don't happen often, and the delight I'm getting from just getting a parcel was so rare...it's really something I should do for others too. Parcels in the mail are rare and such a great experience. I'm just wondering if others get them too anymore? All of us should send stuff. The more we send out, the more smileys sent! :hugs:

Oh yeah, the mp3 player...lol

Well, by far, noone wraps stuff better than Apple. The package design, feel and heft...all of it made for a very satisfying opening experience. There are lots of hinges on the ipod box, lots of openings, recesses, a slick new outside feel, and the design is just first class.

The Box...with genuine real hand-written writing on it!

ipod.jpg

The Bubble Wrapping...oooh, plenty to pop.

ipod2.jpg

Snazzy product box with slickesque feel...can't ever throw this away.

ipod4.jpg

Glory be...tis it...so small...and 80 gigs...how many movies is that?

ipod6.jpg

Nasty sticker warning on the back...DON'T STEAL MUSIC!

ipod7.jpg

And so how does it sound?

Well, I haven't had the chance to try it out yet...guess that's another post.

:)

gogo

p.s. A big thank you to my Uncle who I hope is reading this. Thank you for the player, but more importantly thanks for giving me such a wonderful morning. :)

WoW, that was wonderful!

I think I got a the chill (at least a little) reading your mail.

That reminds me when I get letters/parcels from Bulgaria... it's so sweet seeing the hand-written address and ... I need to make my sister send me more letters :PPP

Nice of your uncle Gogo. Hope you enjoy that as much as Vampie Enjoy's hers. Sadly We only get packages 2 times a yr. Christmas being 1 of them as my family is out of state in Montana and Utah and out of country in Germany.

I see you got that baby alright. It looks newer than mine, your uncle either really didn't need it or he must be so good at taking care of things. :)

Now let us know what you fill that baby with! :hugs:

I got home from work so late last night, and only then did I finally get down to getting this wonderful little mini-beast up and going. Recharge time for it is almost up and I'll have to go through all my stuff o see what I can fit on it.

So...how many songs is 80 gigs again?

Dick, I'm so glad you got the shiver...yeah getting stuff that makes you this happy is a great feeling. It takes great insight and time to be able to put a happy face as big as the one on my face yesterday...lol, now I just want to see if I can do it for other members of my family and friends as well!

And you get to writing your aunt some letters you...if you start the process I'm sure you'll get those letters you love so much back as well! :oooo:

And yeah Myles, my uncle is probably the person who is THE most careful with hit stuff. He's got the first thing he's ever bought in Canada, a very nice casette player radio!

:woot:

gogo

Ooooh, now that's a really cool gift to get. It's nice though isn't it a bit too large? :oooo: I mean you're going to use it as a portable video player it's ok, but as an mp3 it's a bit large. :woot: But even so with 80 GB it beats about any other player around in terms of space.

Hmm, question is, what are you going to fill that ammount of space with? (/me thinks it's gonna be pron :D)

As for packages, err I get them quite often when I order band t-shirts online and when they arrive it's like receiving presents on christmas so I know the feeling. :)

Oh you captured in words, a feeling very difficult to put into words :music: I agree with Claire! The smile and anticipation as well is a most wonderful gift, as much as the goodies involved!

Oh and Enjoy that space!

Three cheers for Uncle! :hugs: Very good man indeed to part with such a toy in order to brighten your travels gogo. Ooooh, and genuine hand-writing too. Can I have the box?! :music:

Now let us know what you fill that baby with! ;)

Pr0n probably...

:P

I was going to say that..

Seriously though, congrats mate, enjoy your shiny new Mp3 player, you could even fit Indy's complete metal collection on that :)

However, make sure you get some kind of protective casing, my ipod nano just broke because the screen got knocked a bit.. :(

:bye:

~Doom

That's been my biggest concern ever since I got it. The slightest scratches and/or scruff marks on the screen make viewing less lovely. My cuz has an extra iskin that he says rocks. I'm going to meet him this wednesday and let my new puppy try it out.

:D

gogo

p.s. pr0n...wuzzat.. :blush:

• 3 years later...

I just saw a spider reading this... so this topic gets me bump of love and caring. Lately, it's been me who's been having to send our parcels. My mom's got this huge addiction to Wunderbars and Bueno Bars... :)

You can't get them in the states, so she makes me send them out once a month. The cool thing is that postage from Canada to the states is a lot cheaper than I thought it was ...it's become fun now, with me finding assorted other little niceties that I can fit in on the top of the chocolate bars...and guess what...

My handwriting's gotten better!

gogo

Well since you pulled off a 3 yr necro I'll add a response :P

When I was in the Navy I got stationed at Guantanamo Bay Cuba. Probably one of the worst places to go. Can't go off base and everything is military (grocery, tv, gasoline, everything). It was right when MTV came out (when they still played videos). I would get 2 or 3 8hr VHS tapes of nothing but videos about every month from my sisters. Something that simple kept me from going insane in that place. And is probably my fondest moments of Gitmo was getting those packages.

Probably the nicest things I've had in the post (other than new bits for my PC) would be the letters from my wife (then gf) when she was in Russia. We were both students in our third year (my final year) at uni but because she was doing a language course she had to spend a year in the country, needless to say it sucked massively & as Knuckles said, the letters (& random expensive phone call) were one of the few things keeping us sane. She didn't spend an entire year out there as she came home for a few weeks at Christmas (when I proposed), but it was a long ~3 months in the autumn & then another ~3 months till I went out there for two weeks & then another ~2-3 months till she came home for the summer holidays (and then went to spend a month in France for the other part of her degree). I can't remember how long the letters were (they're up in the loft somewhere, along with the ~9-10 A4 sheets double sided that we wrote to each other over the easter holidays in the first year while I "woo'd" her :)), but they were pretty long & sent every week or so (via Amex in Finland for some reason).

• 11 months later...

I plan to buy one someday. I have alot of music, so I'm thinking 160 GB.

Expensive, but worth it?

How's the sound in those players? Also, do you have the feature to slow down songs?

(I had an old creative nomad jukebox I could do that with)

Edited by Sirius

Hi Sirius

The sound is just amazing. I used to go out and buy expensive headphones in the old days when I first got it, but later on, I found out that I could get phones at half the price, and sound would be, to me, almost as good.

The money saved would get me sushi.

I've never had that slow mo feature before, but perhaps you can go to Itunes and see if they offer that as a free download?

gogo

Alright, thanks for the info anyway.

Around here, a 160 GB Ipod classic goes for 350-400 US Dollars, depending on the store and your ability to haggle (or threaten).

I have 500 + CD's with only metal music, so I'm really looking forward to getting a player that can import all of them.

And btw, I always use earplugs. The sound is fantastic in those, and the nosy people around you will never know what you listen to.

Earplugs_Koss.jpg