A pc to play Sacred 2?

Timotheus

computer works great, things went together so far so good. other than human error(s) there was only minor probs forcing screws into the powersupply to mount on the case. even booted up on first try and after a bazillion updates it now runs like a champ. given the price of the monitor, the quality is quite decent. I will probably return the cpu cooler as with the power supply and 3x other fans, probably don't need more than the included one.

• 3 months later...

lowbudget2.png

Here's my latest addition to the budget section, created for Silearth.

Note, however, that it doesn't include:

- Shipping

- Assembly

- Harddisk

- DVDrom

- OS

I don't know your tech level but you might be able to put it together yourself.

Also, you can re-use some stuff from your old pc like the harddisk and dvd drive to save money.

So sad, I've bought a PC a year and a half ago for almost 3 times that price, but it's performing worse... lol

Edited by Timotheus

Definitely a nice thread guys. Here is one I built for barely over $1000 including shipping. I got all the rebates back, came to about $1075. It runs Sacred 2 on highest settings, very nicely.

Intel Quad 6600

Asus P5Q Intel P45 chipset

OCZ Flex XLC DDR1200 2x1 gig

Seagate 7200.10 250gig x 2(in raid 1 mirror)

Thermaltake toughpower 750 PSU

Samsung 20X DVD burners x 2-SATA

EVGA 8800 GTS 640 mg 320 bit DDR3

Thermaltake CPU cooler

Gigabyte 3Dmars full tower

here is a link to the full write-up at DA

http://www.clan-da.com/showthread.php?p=67503#post67503

Edited by tipsterdad
Definitely a nice thread guys. Here is one I built for barely over $1000 including shipping. I got all the rebates back, came to about $1075. It runs Sacred 2 on highest settings, very nicely.

Intel Quad 6600

Thermaltake CPU cooler

Nice writeup, Tip...and I'm always happy to see you here!

Are you serious though...you're able to play Sacred 2 at full settings...even with 4aa...and no lag at all? The mouse never falls behind?

:)

gogo

Hey tips, are you running the high detail textures pack on that, I think it fulfills all the requirements

:)

~Doom

I am running so good I don't want to take the chance of messing things up. I do have the CE, but never installed the elite graphics, not yet anyway. MP runs great, single player runs ultra smooth, so I bet I could. I have been convinced Raid0 doubles your chance for a crash, and chance to lose everything. I really like raid1, knowing I have an automatic back up. Most techs will tell you you don't gain enough from Raid0 to make it worth the risk.

You want more performance? If you have an nvidia card, and a nice multi core processor, turn off the physics in your graphics card and let your processor do the math. I gained 10-15 fps by doing that. My Q6600 is a great processor which I have oc'd to 3.7 at times....stock is 2.4 (I run it at 2.7). It is a very, very underrated cpu. I bumped the motherboard fsb to 1666, and kept memory at 1200...and got a noticeable difference in performance.

So to keep this post on subject, if anyone is thinking about a quad, I HIGHLY recommend the Q6600. It is reasonable in cost and is a great performer. Also it is being discontinued, get them while you can.

Intel Quad 6600

Thermaltake CPU cooler

Nice writeup, Tip...and I'm always happy to see you here!

Are you serious though...you're able to play Sacred 2 at full settings...even with 4aa...and no lag at all? The mouse never falls behind?

:P

gogo

Thanks Gogo, it is nice to be here :P

No 4aa Gogo, don't really need it. It looks beautiful on 2aa, no mouse problems at all. I should try it now that I have turn physics off on the GPU. I will get back with you. You know what I think makes a great deal of difference? My PSU, you have to have a good power supply to keep things running like they should. it is an area some people fall short and it hurts the performance of the computer overall.

You know what I think makes a great deal of difference? My PSU, you have to have a good power supply to keep things running like they should. it is an area some people fall short and it hurts the performance of the computer overall.

Ain't that the truth. I had a power supply from an Inwin case that stayed with me for 9 years. I transfered it from case to case until it finally gave up the ghost. Being short of cash, I replaced it with a bargain model that exploded--loudly--early in the morning.

Edited by Silearth
You know what I think makes a great deal of difference? My PSU, you have to have a good power supply to keep things running like they should. it is an area some people fall short and it hurts the performance of the computer overall.

Ain't that the truth. I had a power supply from an Inwin case that stayed with me for 9 years. I transfered it from case to case until it finally gave up the ghost. Being short of cash, I replaced it with a bargain model that exploded--loudly--early in the morning.

Yep its a pretty over looked part by some. I tend to go a bit over what I need. I left room to upgrade my cpu and graphics card, but probably will only update graphics at some point, I love my cpu. I will have plenty of power to do so.

Gogo, to answer your question I tried 4AA again, took too much of a frames rate hit. It ran good but looks better in 2AA for me. Everything else is maxed out and turned on, looks great!

Yep its a pretty over looked part by some. I tend to go a bit over what I need. I left room to upgrade my cpu and graphics card, but probably will only update graphics at some point, I love my cpu. I will have plenty of power to do so.

Gogo, to answer your question I tried 4AA again, took too much of a frames rate hit. It ran good but looks better in 2AA for me. Everything else is maxed out and turned on, looks great!

Guh... A 750 watt PSU... I would've gone for a 450-500 watt PSU :P even that leaves you headroom. You probably have enough juice to power your system twice... :)

I remember back in the days when I would just look at the wattage on the PS and be done with it. I mean, a 450 is a 450, right?

Then someone on a forum started talking rails. So I put together a spreadsheet of everything in my system and calculated the voltage requirements and went PS shopping. What did I find? A shocking number of quality PS's that barely met my needs even though they were high wattage.

Yep this is true Sil, there are a great many PSU's out there that say 450w when in reality true output is closer to 250w. I don't want my PSU to exceed 75% of its capacity at greatest demand, that way there is no issues with output, and it has a much longer life. There are only a few brands I will consider buying, although I have to say there are some new players in this market, formerly known for making good memory that make top quality PSU's. Also my case runs 5 fans, something people don't always consider when buying. I have very few issues if any and always have a little room to upgrade. Besides, that 750 I got came as a combo deal, I got a total of $135 off between rebates and such by buying it and my 8800GTS together, basically I got the PSU free. That is what prompted me to buy at that time. Just make sure what ever you buy is of good quality. Pick it up, if it is heavy that is a good start, light weights tend to be junk.

Yep this is true Sil, there are a great many PSU's out there that say 450w when in reality true output is closer to 250w. I don't want my PSU to exceed 75% of its capacity at greatest demand, that way there is no issues with output, and it has a much longer life. There are only a few brands I will consider buying, although I have to say there are some new players in this market, formerly known for making good memory that make top quality PSU's. Also my case runs 5 fans, something people don't always consider when buying. I have very few issues if any and always have a little room to upgrade. Besides, that 750 I got came as a combo deal, I got a total of $135 off between rebates and such by buying it and my 8800GTS together, basically I got the PSU free. That is what prompted me to buy at that time. Just make sure what ever you buy is of good quality. Pick it up, if it is heavy that is a good start, light weights tend to be junk.

The wattages thing can be true, some manufacturers put their max peak wattage on the boxes.

But seriously, Tip, 75% of it's max ability is still 560w :cow_white: you're system would need 300w or so while stressed.

Rails are the main thing. As long as the 12v rails are high enough to support your graphics card, there's quite a big chance it'll power your system.

And weight: yes, definitely true! Cheap PSU's are light, htey saved on material. Trusted PSUs are heavier since they carry more components inside.