Sacred save game locations

I have installed sacred the downloaded and installed sacred p[lus then installed sacred underworld. I have one Ascaron folder with a Sacred and a Sacred Underworld folders inside, both havbe save game folders, Sacred's has nothing in it, Sacred Underworld has 8 wentries labeled HERO000.pxx witch are the ones included with the game I'm told. Under USERS in MY GAMES there are no listing for sacred of any kind. Does anyone know where the save games are located for the SP game?

They would be in the Save folder off the applicable game's main install folder, so if they're not in there I'm afraid they're just gone.

It's weird there is nothing in any of the save folders, but when I start the game it shows the three saves I have been using and will load whichever I choose from. I am at a loss.

Oh... That IS wierd. Have you tried to use the windows search function to search your entire computer for it? Try searching for "GAME0" and see if you can find it that way maybe?

They would be in the Save folder off the applicable game's main install folder, so if they're not in there I'm afraid they're just gone.

It's weird there is nothing in any of the save folders, but when I start the game it shows the three saves I have been using and will load whichever I choose from. I am at a loss.

That is very strange indeed! I've never seen it save anywhere other than the save folder - from what I remember from your SIF thread, you're running Vista, right? I wonder if it does anything unusual with them. In Vista can you open a cmd window to run an old DOS command? If you can, try doing Dir /s GAME*.PAK from the root of each of your hard-drives (ex: from C:\ run the command). They have to be there somewhere (and since IIRC you're running Underworld they should be there), and that should turn them up. I just don't know if Vista still allows users to access cmd.exe :4rofl:
Aaaah. Might it also be that Vista is hiding some files? It's a strange thought but Vista has been known to do strange things. :4rofl:

Thanks Carolyn Hacker I will see if Vista will let me run a cmd line and let you all knows.

Please give me correct cmd for search as I must not be entering it correctly as it gave me my C:\.

C:\ /s GAME*.PAK f

Edited by dollhobbs

Actually I'm at a loss with my saved game too. gogo asked me for saved game, and I have a ton of them. But I just can't find them... they are not in the saved folder, and yet I see them and load them just fine in game. Creepy.

I just cannot locate them. :4rofl:

The old command (goes back a long time, but still works in XP) is:

From the root of each hard drive (ex: C:\), type the following:

Dir /s game*.pak

The /s just tells the directory command to look for files with that name in the current location as well as any sub-directories/folders. If Vista is hiding them, you might need to add an additional parameter:

Dir /s /a game*.pak

I did a search for GAME01.PAK on my HD where the game is installed and lo and behold all of a sudden they where in the save folder of Sacred Underworld. This morning I was checking again and they were gone from sight but when I open UltraEdit and open file it says they are still there in the save folder in Underworld. Explain this one to me.

I have a strange issue that's not really too much of an issue that deals kinda with this. Why is it when I uninstall and select to keep my save files it triplicates them in random locations on my computer? I have one set in my C drive, one set on my desktop and one set in the external (I think F: drive) that I have in my USB... I didn't tell it to do that... but might it have something to do with me having installed it on the F: drive? Just wondering... not really a problem, just thuoght it was interesting.

Thanks,

-Total

Myles, are you running Vista too? dollhobbs found his/hers in a place called C:\Users\Skeeter\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Ascaron

Entertainment\Sacred Underworld\save, and a subsequent google search showed that Vista has some kind of special thing that causes them to go to VirtualStore. I'm not exactly sure what it is (I started trying to read through this link but then my head started hurting :P ), but it seems to cause files to be saved to an unusual location.

Totalimmortal - do you manually copy the files (like with Windows explorer) or is that an option in the uninstall (sorry, I haven't uninstalled in a long time)? Also, what OS are you running?

Well this has been an interesting learning experience. Very useful info for the Vista users. Sooo, ummm. Maybe I won't be upgrading to Vista eh, lol. Sounds like a very different OS from XP...

Carolyn: I have an interesting predicament with my OS. My external hard drive was once a laptop that had caught on fire (long story). I have Windows XP Professional running as the OS to the HD on the external, but my current computer is running Windows XP Media center. And yes, it is an option for the uninstall. I don't know why it does this though, but it really is not a problem, its nice to have backups, I was just wondering if that happened to anyone else?

-Total

I had Vista home premium installed on my HP pc I bought and I don't think that I have had any more problems with it then I did when I first got WIN XP, now that I've had it awhile I find that most problems can easily be worked around and I am starting to like vista.

• 6 years later...

maybe old but I have windows 7 and its not showing mine how can I find them

Its an old school game - it keeps its save file in its root folder. Win7 or not, it should be there.

Open the root folder with the game, the one that has the Sacred.exe, and check for a folder named "save" - that should be your save files

• 4 years later...

Ye been awhile. I still play Sacred gold. I have two PC's. A 32bit machine I inherited with Vista on it!! A newer 64 bit machine running win7  After a few months with Vista I reformatted HD and put XP on.

Win 7 saved sacred gold games are in;

C:\Users/'name'/AppData//Local/VirtualStore/Program Files(x86)/Ascaron Entertainment/Sacred Underworld/Save

Not quite a root folder.

This is on Win7. And yes I used the dos command prompt C:\Dir /s /a game*.pak

Since Win98SE, Only every second launch has been any good. 2000 was crap, we got XP, Vista, what a nightmare. Then 7SP, Works great if you switch off the updates.

I think the rubbish ones were the beta editions with bugs and dragon sized problems released too soon due to marketing