SacredWiki Interactive Map of Ancaria

That's exactly what we're going to aim for Llama. I've been getting a lot of guidance from Pitunia about getting scripts in order and setting up the darkmatters server to send only the images that can fit on a users screen. Excellent way to save on bandwidth for us and a much faster expiernce for people viewing the map. Same idea as what we have with the Sacred UW map actually but at the moment I have some limitations being that the UW map is hosted at MapLib.net. Dimensions and file size being the restrictions. There's also a lot more I could do with the map(s) once they are hosted with us.

The Sacred 2 map has been completed in that all the puzzle pieces have been placed. Though I've kind of gotten caught up with marking it now which has slowly grown into an obsession for me. So it should be done in ooooooh.... 2 years? lol. Actually a lot of my time has been taken up by work lately. Things have quieted down at work now so I'll be able to get the map up soon! Ish?

Smile yourself Schot... Now my boyfriend is testing some scripts he wrote today ;) They cut images extracted from Sacred2 PAK folders, name them and need only script which can display them. And this using Google API is already written :hugs: Now only start script and check if they do work with images correct :) But png isn't good solution for server... Biggest layer (from 7 layers - 7 levels of zoom) have more than 16.000 of 256x256 images :( So on disc all images from all layers in png would take more than 2GB. And number of files reach almost 33000. JPG have worse quality, but on-line page with map from PNG-files could be veeery slow ;)

[EDIT]Everything done without problem :) Scripts works for Sacred 2 and their tiles long but flawless :P After all there is 24416 PNG-files which take 1487,5 MB :P

JPG with 70% compression level... only 141,7 MB, which could be acceptable I think :P Remember, that at one time, one person download on 512x512 display only 4 images, and when zoom in, zoom out or move... download only uncached tiles. Of course it takes bandwidth, but not as much as downloading single big file :)

OK... I run script to generate tiles for lvl1 underground :P

Edited by Pitunia

Llama8... But that order is only in Sacred 2. In S1 all tiles are sorted into rhombus and displaying them isn't as easy as it looks. What more... If you want display images you must know what to display and how user can navigate. Because of that Schot choose MapLib. It's good solution but has limitations. If you don't want have them you must know how to use Google Maps API functions. It's Object JavaScript mostly (but you may also use XML, PHP, MySQL). My boyfriend is programmer (MSc of IT) so looks into code, read few manuals and examples and made working one. Later he start writing scripts to handle with images, because, as I wrote earlier, Google Maps use a tons of thumbnails 256x256 and each must be named according to pattern which is used to choosing this, which should be displayed (there is function which we first must write, define and whole displaying is based on it).

With Sacred 2 it's easy because they are nice named in files (I've described pattern before your post). But making similiar for S1 will be muuuuuuch more complicated. Maybe not impossible, but veeeeeery hard...

If we compare Sacred 2 and S1, work with Sacred 2 tiles was piece of cake ;) Good, that he has experience with map generator (do you like it Schot? ;) ) for S1 because at least he know everything about order in files and may try write some converter between order on google maps and S1 files. We will see how long it take :P Or rather if he will be able to write something that ;) This script for converting images from Sacred 2 has a little more than 100 lines, but 1/3 of them are comments.

Exactly 79/127 lines are working code. Rest are comments what is what and how works :P

And back to topic... Displaying map on page is hard, because you don't know in fact how big will be output image, depending on scale. Very detailed means huge in size... To compare I say how big is most detailed map in Sacred 2 made from tiles. Map is a square which is made from 128x128 tiles 256x256 big so... 32768x32768 :) Some of them are only blank, but whole size is as you see enormous...

Ok... This is how it works now. 7 levels of zoom (and level 0 as a global) display area 512x512 step by step ;)

Lvl0 is max zoom out. Google move sphere on something flat so on left and right from original they are "rolled"

lvl0zt9.th.pnglvl1db9.th.pnglvl2fz0.th.png

lvl3bq3.th.pnglvl4hw5.th.pnglvl5ta0.th.png

lvl6mw1.th.pnglvl7gk3.th.png

Look and compare. But remember... Those are png files, because I didn't wanna loose quality. Check, that most of them are 0.5MB files, and because of that I put thumbnails only. If you wanna see how it looks, click on chosen one. They are in scale 1:1 and that is how I see it on my screen.

And as a bonus... First and second level of underground map as a whole:

ulvl1fd6.th.png ulvl2am5.th.png

But this time only on lvl1 zoom ;)

Edited by Pitunia
  • 4 weeks later...

Completely missed this again Pitunia. The map had me in a strangle hold, haha.

I'm so impressed with both your understanding of the process Pitunia. I have to admit that I have yet to be able to sit down and read carefully how the scripts are written. In fact I haven't even been able to cut up my map yet. :) MapLib is really great but as you say there are limitations that I want to move beyond. I'm looking into some alternative hosting for my map which will create this opportunity for us here at darkmatters. The first thing I need to do though is cut up a map. I think what I'll do for testing purposes is create a smallish map and host it here at darkmatters. Then test it out and customize it. Wheee, gonna be fun. :)

• Like! 1
  • 7 years later...

After a very long dissapearance, the Sacred Underworld Map is back! :wizard:

Sacred:Underworld Map of Ancaria

Maplib once hosted this map but long ago it shut it's doors and it's site. Life as it goes prevented this project from re-emerging. Until now. What I find most exciting by the return of this map is that while it was on Maplib it was limited to a size of 9936 x 6922 pixels. But now... Now I have it rendering at 22320 x 15495 at full zoom. Enjoy the extra details and close up all!

Aweosme Schot, the map's back home... good job

New detail on this new map IS SICK

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

I've caught myself just zenning out on the details on the map... makes me all nostalgic about what was going on in the gaming world when this game came out, and what I was doing, comp I was on... forums were new then, SIF was so fresh, and so busy... I remember seeing this game come out on Demo (parents got me a new computer back then, and I was demo/download crazy in those days... lordy, the viruses I spawned... :4rofl: ) and right away I my mouth dropped... being able to ride a horse, firing arrows while going around a animal in a circle, being able to switch weapons and then duel wield and see all that detailing... I remember playing that demo over and over, just couldn't get enough of it, and kept trying to go past all the boundaries...

See Schot was zenning out on this map causes!

:pirate:

gogo

• 4 years later...
3 minutes ago, Arienstarr said:

I'm 4 years late to this thread and it seems the map is offline again :-(

Anyone know where I can find either this map or another interactive map of Ancaria?

Thanks.

yeeks!

Sorry about this Arienstarr ... can you show me the link you're using to get to the map, and which browser, from cell or desktop?

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Thanks Flix!

For some reason I cant seem to associate the link to the original sentence... but I replaced it with the link you provided for a present work around until we can look at this later.

The Map flies once again..

Arise Ancaria!!

:viking:

gogo

You are most welcome @Arienstarr:agreed:

2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Could this be related to any update to the formatting due to all the upgrades the site has seen through the times? I've noticed other links leading to a dead end, and then I noticed the links were showing .php5/ in there. Just on a hunch I removed the 5, and the link worked again. 

Genius Timo!  Thanks for that tip.  I've never liked Mediawiki's url addressing.  Our wiki urls used to be formatted as sacredwiki.org/index.php5/PAGENAME.  I think it was a couple years ago after an update that the "5" was removed.  Would love to make the time to remove the entire index.php from our urls though it's tricky from what I've read.  As well as create some redirects for the old link format.  One more thing on the to do pile, heh.  :crazy_pilot:

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, Arienstarr said:

PS, just realized I thanked Timotheus as your level name, not your ID name. 

Still learning the ropes around here.

It's great seeing you on the boards!

yes the post levels are unique... the table of elements... beneath all e'en Ancaria...

there is always the table

:gogo:

gogo

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Julian1213 said:

Awesome work!

Is there a possibility to download a High res Version of ther Map for private use ?

hi and welcome to DarkMatters! the map's creator Schot has placed it in the Wiki as only live use.  This way visitors clicking and using it gets to see Schot's awesome map and also helps us with our hosting costs for DarkMatters 

:gogo:

gogo