Star Trek Birth of the Federation 2

The first turn based mass strategy game set in the Star Trek Universe was made by MicroProse and had it success among the star trek fans. This game was the last space strategy by Microprose. Since no one took the task to make a second part of the game gamers took it upon them selfs to make it. I have been following the project for some time now and am happy to say that the Alpha version of the game is finally done. Anyone who is interested and loves star trek games may download it for free and have fun with it and if you wish even to report bugs and help out with the final game version. I for one will be downloading it soon and cant wait to get my hands on it.

Anyone who is interested can visit the game site here:

http://www.startreksupremacy.com/

And download it Here

here are some game features taken from the home page:

Features

- Explore

Your continuing mission... to explore strange new worlds... to seek out new life and new civilizations... to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Space is vast. There are treasures out here to make your exploration a bit easier... but there are terrors that will require every ounce of strength you have to defeat.

You will be put in charge of developing The Federation. Where to go, where to station your starships and defenses. Your job is to expand. Go as far as you possibly can. Explore the unknown, resist oppression at all costs, and ensure your survival.

- Development

Your In Control. That means you can develop whatever you want... whenever you want. Each colony produces structures to benefit your expansion and starships to help you protect the border.

Tired of Micro Managing... No problem... With just one click your Colony governor will take over all development. They will produce what you need based on the state of your expansion.

- Internal & External Affairs

One of your main jobs is to make sure that no one can sabotage your structures or starships. This is a very important as hundreds of races will be keeping a eye on every move you make... So make sure you do the same. With Internal and External Affairs you can manage your entire spy network. You can increase security here at home to root out all spies, or you can boost your external network to find out what your advesaries are up to. If you notice a imment threat you can quickly respond by sabotaging the enemy.

As head of security you must make sure you have enough officers to man your starships.... Failure to do so can result in devastation.

- Research & Development

As you start out... one of the key areas you must focus on is your research & development. Through this you can build bigger and better starships to meet the enemy. You also have to focus on developing better agriculture, manufacturing, energy, propulsion technology to meet the growing needs of your citizens.

You can end up the major power in the Quadrant... having a armada of the strongest and fastest ships throughout known space.

- Diplomacy

Do you need allies? Do you have a war to fight but need some help? Well then head over to Diplomacy and start making powerful allies. Through this feature you will be able to make non aggression treaties, trading agreements, Military alliances and declarations of war. Your going to need all the help you can get when fighting multiple enemies... so if needed you can trade Dilithium, Deuterium, Technology or Raw Materials.

- Combat

Eventually your going to come across races that are not too friendly. The Klingons, The Romulans, etc., they all may try to test your resolve. They will test your metal and see if you can defend your own. Will you be able to lead your ships into victory ... or will your defenses crumble and your people conquered.

You will be in charge of the fleet... commanding dozens to hundreds of ships against enemies that may outnumber you. You must use various tactics and skills to defeat them

Be sure to develop your skills ... as their are mysteries and terrors that will challenge your very existance.

Hope you enjoy it and maybe in the months to come when the final version is out we may play a online game or two.

OMG...OMG! I LOVE Birth of the Federation! It's a classic I still play when I just cant decide on what else ta do :( Wow I had no idea there was a sequel in the works-it really has been a long time since that came out. Thanks for the heads up Katran! :drinks::D:)

• 4 weeks later...

In what way is this a sequal, from the screenshots (thus far) it looks identical to the original (well, the gfx do appear to have been updated, as one would expect). Is this a fan project (which is pretty impressive by itself)? 'Cause to me it feels like a group of fans/programmers have got together & retro-engineered BOTF (again, I don't want to take anything away from the scale of their accomplishment), rather than adding anything new, though as this is still an early version, perhaps this will change in the future.

I did like the combat maneuvers, but personally, I enjoyed designing ships myself, so I didn't really enjoy BOTF all that much.

Hmm I am not sure Llama but I dont think old MicroPros ever made botf a free software or realist its engine. Even so what difference does it make. can you fro a player point of view say that something big has changed lets say in Civ3 to civ4 you still do the same things only something improved and many things that you will never see.

Non the less this game is free and it looks really good. One thing I hope is that we will have the chance to play the other great races of star trek.

Ummmm, full 3D terrain/map? :music: I'd probably have to check the manuals. :P

I know what you mean, but if you're (not you personally) going to say something is the successor to something else (BOTF2, etc) I think something should be different, not just replicating the old version down to the research "tree", buildings, etc.

I don't think it helped that Microprose whipped out my favourite part of that genre.

I am still impressed that a bunch of fans have been able to put something like that together though. Even if it is "just" an exact (ish) replica of BOTF1.

Yes I am always amazed by the shear power of player stuff that comes out this days be it mods maps and what else this days for any number of games.

By the way Llama where you able to download the game? For some reason I cant open the page it sends me to. :music:

Yes I am always amazed by the shear power of player stuff that comes out this days be it mods maps and what else this days for any number of games.

Yup, what I wouldn't give to be able to do something like that. I have my own plans, but being unable to program...

By the way Llama where you able to download the game? For some reason I cant open the page it sends me to. :music:

I'm still at work, so I've not tried (and probably won't in it's current state). I'll give it a quick go to see if it works or not though when I get home though.

You guys say what you will, but im one of those gamers who sometimes wishes they pumped out an almost identical version of something as the sequel. Wellllllllllllllllllll I guess I'm kinda on the fence, after all to live in the video game industry one must keep up with the time and adapt, but some sequels after the 'overhaul' fail to please. I doubt anyone here's played Gangsters (PC) Lords of the Realm II (PC) or Kessen II (PS2)? All these had sequels which completely changed the look and play and I hated them and was so disappointed in them. On the other hand the Final Fantasy series always changes it up and I love it each time. Ok, my final thought is that games should churn out sequels like the Grand Theft Auto series...its sequels on PS2 didnt change the core of what it is, just changed characters, environment and story.

EDIT: Either way im gunna have to try BOTF2 and see how they did :music:

Edited by locutus

Yup, it's a very difficult/narrow path to tread. The same thing happened to Master of Orion, most people either loved 1 & hated 2 or vice versa. I enjoyed both. I think it depends on how much the core gameplay that you do enjoy is changed & whether it's changed to something that you enjoy as much or more than the old version.

Personally I think that not changing anything (at all) is a sign that you're either lacking ideas on what to change, or too scared to try something new.

I doubt anyone here's played Gangsters (PC) Lords of the Realm II (PC) or Kessen II (PS2)?

Guess again then. :D I have played both gangsters and Lord of the Realm 2. Loved them both and I agree with you the sequels wherent as good.

Yup, it's a very difficult/narrow path to tread. The same thing happened to Master of Orion, most people either loved 1 & hated 2 or vice versa. I enjoyed both. I think it depends on how much the core gameplay that you do enjoy is changed & whether it's changed to something that you enjoy as much or more than the old version.

Personally I think that not changing anything (at all) is a sign that you're either lacking ideas on what to change, or too scared to try something new.

Are you sure about that Llama? I think everyone loved MOO 1&2 the real problem was MOO 3 everyone hated that one. At list thats what I think and feel like.

Just checked & no, the link isn't working.

:( man I so much wanted to download it even if I can find one bug and post it I could do my part for the love of the game :P

Are you sure about that Llama? I think everyone loved MOO 1&2 the real problem was MOO 3 everyone hated that one. At list thats what I think and feel like.

Yup, when I was on the official forums, they seemed reasonably well polarised between people who loved MOO1 & people who loved MOO2, I think those of us who loved both were in the distinct minority. Then you had the split between people who wanted it more "pulp" sci-fi (psychic powers, Mrrshan, aliens = men in rubber suits, etc) & the ones who didn't (these lot mostly won).

But yeah, MOO3 was, erm, dissappointing, to say the least.

• 5 months later...

Did anyone else download this and get it running? I've got the 2 things downloaded but I dunno what to do with this zipped file...what do I click on it to make it setup?

It says:

Step 1: Download and Install The .NET Framework 3.5

Step 2: Download Star Trek Supremacy

Step 3: Open File & Follow Directions to Copy To Drive

Step 4: Double Click on Desktop Icon & Begin Playing

Step3: Follow what instructions? Copy what? I'm pathetic I know :crazy:

• 1 month later...

I hope you got it to work Locutus. If not here is what you do.

1.You need to download the .NET Framework 3.5 beta. I think they are making it work with .NET Framework 3.5 right now since MicroSoft took the beta out of its web page download menu.

2. Download the Star trek Supremecy file from the mirror on there web page.

3. Use Rar to unpack the file that you download.

4. Open the new unrared folder and in it look for the SupremacyClient.exe file[its the one with the federation symbol]

5. Double click it to start the game.

6. As soon as the game starts up its auto update system will kick in and download the latest files to your system latest update around 14.2Mb

7. Once the download is done the game will restart.

8. Have fun my friend its pre Alpha but it still looks good. :cow_white:

Thanks Katran-got it running aftre your instructions(looks like it was just a matter of what to click on aftre unzipping it-Doh!). It does look sharp but it does need a lot of work. I couldnt seem to really get into it-there wasnt much of a challenge or any danger. I easily and quickly colonized 5 systems and 3 of the 3 minor species I encountered became members in a few turns. I didn't encounter any major species and had no combat. I could see how if this closely mirrored the original it'd be a great game. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it gets some major attention.

Thanks Katran-got it running aftre your instructions(looks like it was just a matter of what to click on aftre unzipping it-Doh!). It does look sharp but it does need a lot of work. I couldnt seem to really get into it-there wasnt much of a challenge or any danger. I easily and quickly colonized 5 systems and 3 of the 3 minor species I encountered became members in a few turns. I didn't encounter any major species and had no combat. I could see how if this closely mirrored the original it'd be a great game. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it gets some major attention.

Glad you liked what you saw. Its not bad for a pre alpha version. I cant wait for the final product.

I dont know if you ran SupremacyEditor2. Its in the main folder. Its the game data base. If you have the time take a look at it. I think you will be presently surprised at the number of things the game has. The number of minor races ships and planet techs. and buildings is so huge. I guess when you want to make a Star trek strategy game let the fans pick the stuff and you will have the ST universe in full in the game. :)

yeah there definately appeared to be a huge number of things that could turn out to be amazing. I think if you took all of these lofty ideas and transposed them on the original's gameplay...tweaked some of those annoying things(the unstoppable borg or other "random events" or how the cpu expanded 100x faster than u could) id be playing it for years...heck I still play the original from time to time...in fact, I might go play it now :viking: