The Official Sheppard's Pie Thread

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

Hey guys!

well... no forum I'm a member of just wouldn't be the same without a sheppard's pie thread.

So....yeah I'm makin it right now...and this one has special ingredients like Chicken bouillion in the mashed potatoes, chives and garlic buds...LOTSA garlic buds.

:devil:

Lean ground beef, onions sauteed to perfection with just a tiny touch of msg fer that special yumminess...and of course....

The corn.

This time it's cream-style corn and I'm only using one can cuz last time I made the pie fer all my friends...heh, I used so much cream corn that my sheppard's pie turned into sheppard's soup!

:blink:

heh...nothin a few beers couldn't fix though ;)

It's cookin as we speak and I'll post a pic of it with my new webcam soon as it's out!

:)

gogo

Guest gogoblender

Are you sher it's still spelled that way even if it's got fresh garlic buds in it?

Fresh garlic buds make all the difference man

Maybe youre appelation is some sort of hybrid colloquialism llama.

hahhah, hybrid!

get it?

lol, llama...hybrid?

:P

gogo

Guest gogoblender

heh, glad you liked the vid lucalain!

And I'm going to join INdy in welcoming you to our little corner here on the net!

And wish I'd known that a little sooner about the trick with the corn. The last one I made turned out rather spectularly in fact. I used tons of butter, cream and lotsa lotsa meat.

Meat is good!

:drool:

gogo

Guest gogoblender

hahah, always!

But recently I've gotten used to the idea of making gravy then serving a big boat of it on the side.'

Delicious!

gogo

Tell you what is really nice, marinade the mince over night in some yummy guiness...a dash of hendersons relish and salt n pepper.....yummy...and corn in shepherds pie....ewwww...but ofc thats only a matter of taste

Might have to make a huge shepherds pie this weekend now...and ofc some yorkshire puds :rolleyes:

Guest gogoblender

wow!

Erialc...

lol, how bout you come visit the gang here in montreal and show off your sheppard's pie cuisinary talents!

Wow...Guiness...lol, NEVEr woulda thought of that!

gogo

p.s. heh..INcendarious from clan Spawn says his can give us ours a run fer the money though...we'll just have to see his recipe and see!

:devil:

Hmm, I must try making one day one of this so called "Shepphards" Pies. :P

Maybe we should all meet for a pie making contest or something...

That way we could see who's right. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gogoblender

heh, k...one thing I never got.

why do we even bother putting all the stuff into the oven after?

Is it just to brown it?

k...this is what I do...I boil the potatoes...then after they're soft boiled with all the skins on...I toss em into another big pot and add tons of butter, whole milk and MSG ( :unsure::devil: hey...makes it taste good! :P)

The meat and onions usually fries seperately. When the mash is ready, I get a casserole dish...I put the meat mix on the bottom, with my corn on the top of it, then put the mash mix on the top of it.

Now here's the thing...what do I do next?

Do we put it in the oven just to brown the top? Or...are we supposed to put the oven at, let's say a medium oven temp to marry the ingredients with heat...THEN increase the oven temp to brown it?

Or...are we just supposed to pitch the whole thing into the oven and just brown it? ( btw Krank from the sif says to put butter and cheese on the top fer that extra bit of love :wuv: )

Ideas anyone?

gogo

hahah ty GoGo for making my mouth water at this time of night!

Me..I always just crisp the top up under the grill for a few minutes...and that cheese on top is just right:) But one of my secret ingredients in my love of the pie has to be to sprinkle some paprika or cayenne pepper on top of the cheese just before it goes into the oven/under the grill. If I'm feeling like it's cold outside and I need that extra bit of warmth then some chilli flakes work well too :)

Nice n hot crispy and spicey yummy:)

lol my other secret ingredient is a really good splash of Hendersons relish into the meat as it cooks :)

Henderson's Relish :wuv: :wuv:

lol, I drive past the place they make this stuff everyday yummy yummy yummy :)

Guest gogoblender

Ahhhh!

NOW I get it !

lol, and all this time I was baking it first THEN browning it, heheh

And nice choice of toppings on top ERialc...I'm definitely gonna have ta try some a those out.

Weekends coming up so it's gonna be a shep's pie weekend...oowah new stuff ta cook!

gogo

• 3 months later...

ooohh! sounds yummy

so that's the famous sheppard pie - I cant wait for you to make another one! esp the sound of the garlic crisping- yum I LOVE GARLIC!! more than the pie for now :)

WOW! Thats one recipe I dont have. Mike Loves it too... I better take a look in the family archives and check out their recipe for it. When I get it in my email I will post it. Mom is looking for me now! lol

I do say if you like the cheese perfect and you want to meld everything else together /hug id say bake it over medium for maybe 6-10 minutes then add your cheese. after adding a little butter to the top. it will soften everything and make it more scrumptious! /wub

• 3 years later...

Dang

It's been more than half a year since I made this... and I'm making it right now. Anyone know if we're supposed to cover it in the oven, bake and then uncover to broil the top? All the internet recipes I keep finding right now just say "put in oven" but none of them say whether I'm supposed to start off the baking first while it's covered.

For the love of the pie...

halp!

:hugs:

goog

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Thanks jr

I'll be asking you lots more questions later on...don't be planning on leaving this forum anytime soon

:blink:

gogo

p.s. nice avy