The Official Sheppard's Pie Thread

Guest gogoblender

And Leave All You Insane Crazies?

I Think Not!

=P.

Edit: I Think My New Avatar Scares The $#@% Outta Me.

And Yes Im A Guy, The Avy Doesnt Mean Im A Chick =P.

Edited by Jrmoore2
  • 4 weeks later...
Anyone know if we're supposed to cover it in the oven, bake and then uncover to broil the top? All the internet recipes I keep finding right now just say "put in oven" but none of them say whether I'm supposed to start off the baking first while it's covered.

:)

goog

Her who rules the kitchen says "what on earth do you need to cover it for!" Anyway, have a few test runs and pick the method that suits you. "Sheppards pie" every day till the problem is decided. Yum.

You have always Erialc and Pev to keep you right on this one, mate. :P

Edited by Bondbug
  • 5 weeks later...

heh, Bond, I love seeing you back in the food threads, though I must plead guilt to Sacred 2 stealing so much of my time. I thought I'd share a nice little surprise on the shep's pie. Last night I had some leftover frozen ground beef, and wanted to make something that would last me a few days. I unthawed it, and before browning it, cooked up an onion with some leftover green beans, let it soften, and added...guess what... Roasted Curry Powder! Yum. The color and taste, delicious. With the veggies all cooked up like that, I threw the beef in, and the smell coming off the pan was nothing short of heaven.

Made the mashed potatoes, then realized there was no corn, creamed or anything :lol: Ran over to the neighbors, straight into the pantry and discovered a nice little can of green peas. Tossed those into the meat/veggie mix, then layed those along the bottom of the corning dish. Spooned the mash potatoes on top, then used half a bag of left-over grated pepper-jack cheese which shows off it's two colors nicely.

Baked the whole thing at 350 for 30 minutes, then browned the top.

K, the way it looked, the way it tasted... I'm definitely getting a camera soon, I wish you guys could have seen it and tasted it.

Sheppard's Pie with a Sri Lankan twist.

Who woulda thunk it!

gogo

I am a show off when it comes to cooking. My mother's sheppard pie is meat with corn; mashed potato on top with melted cheese on top of that.

For me it's a crust of pre-baked, thinly sliced potato and a layer of meat and corn followed by a layer of mashed potato and a layer of of 6 cheese mix. This is followed by another layer of meat, potato & cheese then yet another layer of meat, potato, & cheese.

Ahhh, thinly sliced potatoes Sil? I had actually watched a video of a dude on Youtube who had won some sort of a sheppard's pie competition. He had opted to use sliced potatoes and then arranged them artfully in layers within the dish... nice contrast from the regular mash.

Interesting to see that you have opted to use both in your version of the recipe. Any particular way of preparing the potatoe slices? Or do you just pull out some of the potatoes that you are boiling for the mash, separate then use?

:(

gogo

Well I have found a thread here to add a different twist to Gogo.

Some variations on the Shepperd's pie:

for veggies I have used

corn, peas, and carrots mixed in any combination of the three or by themselves.

as to sauces or gravies I have used:

Cream of mushroom soup

brown gravy mix

Bar-B-Que sauce

and Manwich

For spices :

I normally add garlic, onions, salt and pepper to the ground beef as I brown it.

I tend to use instant mashed potatoes simply as a time saver.

I do not cover it in the oven due to everything is still hot from the stove top.

Now for the big twist.

Using a roasted turkey breast or a roast chicken I use turkey gravy.

peas, corn and carrots. Reheat the chopped meat in a skillet with olive oil and get a little color to it then( a little golden brown on the edges) add the veggies and gravy. don't forget chopped onions and a hint of garlic. put it all in a casserole dish and top with some stuffing then back as you do Shepperd's pie. Serve with some cranberry sauce and you have Thanksgiving pie.

Ahhh, thinly sliced potatoes Sil? I had actually watched a video of a dude on Youtube who had won some sort of a sheppard's pie competition. He had opted to use sliced potatoes and then arranged them artfully in layers within the dish... nice contrast from the regular mash.

Interesting to see that you have opted to use both in your version of the recipe. Any particular way of preparing the potatoe slices? Or do you just pull out some of the potatoes that you are boiling for the mash, separate then use?

:(

gogo

After slicing the potato(it took a single one) I would lightly season it and saute in a bit of olive oil. I've thought of doing the whole thing with slices but never tried.

Another idea that I've had is replacing the mashed potato with mac n cheese.

Last night I had some leftover frozen ground beef,

gogo

Careful old pal. As an ex academic I have to point out to you that beef makes cottage pie; Shepherds pie, as the name suggests, is mutton, or these days, I suppose, lamb....I.e. SHEEP, or in your case SHEPP :viking:

I do love your excursions into the yummy and spicy.

Of course, as an ex academic I have to point out that these hot spices are only used to camouflage rotten meat ..............exit stage left running fast. :viking:

Of course, as an ex academic I have to point out that these hot spices are only used to camouflage rotten meat ..............exit stage left running fast. :viking:

I have often suspected the same thing when watching my wife's family making their deadly(for some) dishes.

hehe

just got home and got me some ingredients.

yesterday I saw this thread and it got me thinking

went searching for some recepies and got me the ingredients

atm ill be making it for 2night ill keep u guys updated^^

used ingredients:

500 gram ground mutton

1 kg potatoes

2 onions

lotsa garlick

mix peppers/capsicums ( red, yellow and green)

shallot

corn

mix some herbs ( rosemary, parsley, basil )

tomatoes ( had some in the fridge that needed to be used or I had to throw them away the next few days)

cheese

- ok atm the potatoes are done, so ill mash it up with some peper and salt, butter and milk, until its nice and creamy

- baking the veggies ( mix peppers/capsicums, onions, garlick, tomatoes, corn ) while waiting for the potatoes

- now ill bake the ground mutton with the shallot, onion and garlick

here I added some chilli peppers just for the taste, it don't have to burn a hole in my stomach

heheh update soon again

ok pictured added to thread Shepherd’s Pie

1st I made sure my patatoes were getting boiled to get mashed

2nd I made some preperations for the veggies and stuff ;)

100_1679.jpg

here the potatoes were done and ready to be mashed

while keeping warm in the water, I baked the veggies ( onions, garlick, capsicums, tomatoes and corn)

100_1680.jpg

while w8ing on the veggies to be done I made the mashed potato

I added butter and milk to make it a nice creamy mashed and added pepper& salt to likings

100_1682.jpg

now the veggies and the mashed are done I begin to bake the mutton

added a shallot ( couse of the srong mutton taste) , onion, garlick and mix herbs

100_1683.jpg

when the mutton is done I mixed the veggies into it

well I like how these are mixed 2gether, its color full

100_1684.jpg

and now the dish :oooo:

while prepping the dish I preheated the oven

made a top and a side picture :cool:

100_1685.jpg

100_1686.jpg

I've backed it for 35 min and this is how it looks after that :D

100_1687.jpg

ok now I added the cheese on top and backed it another 20 min to get a nice crispy cheese top layer

and this is how it looks when it came out the oven:drool:

100_1691.jpg

and on a plate wath it its hot :)

100_1693.jpg

enjoy people my very 1st homemade shepherd's pie ( with my own twist ofc ) :)

Edited by mcrar

Oh MY God

GENIUS!

Mcrar, you have completely dropped my jaw!

Dang, send some of that overseas mate... you have just made yourself a fan!

Ahh, I"m so jealous, I really have to get a camera.

Outstanding work with this, the pics and writeup are just fantastic.

Thank you!

gogo

p.s. though I'll pass on the mutton and substitute beef or at most turkey or something else. My parents fed me a whole lot of goat when I was growing up and I find the smell of lamb and goat too similar. :blink:

p.s.s. rosemary, parsley, basil...where did you get the idea for this... did you just make it up, or is it from a pre-mix of spices?

Dang, send some of that overseas mate... you have just made yourself a fan!

I reaaally want to but im afraid the customs will nok on my door and put me in jail for trying to send u guy's some mad lamb disease :(:zipit::sob:

p.s.s. rosemary, parsley, basil...where did you get the idea for this... did you just make it up, or is it from a pre-mix of spices?

well hehe

lamb has a particullar strong taste to it and to combine that strong taste to a finer/ smoother taste u add rosemary and/or parsley and/or thyme to it

and I always have some dry herbs in my kitchen, so tome it was easy access :D

a quick marinade for lambs chop:

( also work with a nice piece of chiken breast/filet or any other meat but u might need to marinade longer then 30min):

oil, onion, garlick, thyme, parsley, rosemary, salt and crunched black pepper

and let the lamb marinade for at least 30 min

bake/ grill it, not to long

and u get a nice tasty lambs chop for dinner ( ofc with some nice baked potato or mashed potato and some grilled veggies )

and the answer to your question is:

cooking was always a hobby for me and I tried to make it my passion and my work

I have a cook's diploma, enabling me to work independently in any restaurant :smart:

im still a chef cook according to my friends :tongue:

worked for at least 7 years in a few restaurants but hated when everybody suddenly thought they were like gordon ramsay

yelling and treating u like a dog so I quit being a cook, but still continue as a hobby cook^^

just moved into my new home 5 months ago

most of the house is done, a few things I still need to do

but ill give u all a peek at my greatest and finest place of the house

im so proud of it, couse I design and build it myself. I already knew how I wanted the kitchen be4 I even bought the house :)

100_1681.jpg

Edited by mcrar

Nice kitchen.

Mutton is older lamb, right? I have worked with ground lamb to make chili, but I mixed it with equal parts ground beef and ground pork. I am going to take my style of sheppard pie and merge it with your seasonings.

Nice kitchen.

Mutton is older lamb, right? I have worked with ground lamb to make chili, but I mixed it with equal parts ground beef and ground pork. I am going to take my style of sheppard pie and merge it with your seasonings.

mutton is same as lamb, nowadays its called lamb ;)

nice make sure u get me your recipe so I can test yours out :)

already got a mixed ground meat

only is to know what/how your style is :)

*Those sure are nice pots for a gamer ^^*... was what went through my mind when I was first looking at the pics and the way they were photographed. I like the way you said that you needed to have cooking in your life one way or another, and you're fortunate to have been able to actually set up a kitchen the way you want.

More than ever, you've inspired me to get a camera and start bringing some of my kitchen experiments to life.

gogo

p.s. So...lol, what kind of pots are they? :D

Of course, as an ex academic I have to point out that these hot spices are only used to camouflage rotten meat ..............exit stage left running fast. ;)

I have often suspected the same thing when watching my wife's family making their deadly(for some) dishes.

Struth! What nationality are your wife's family? Not a rude question...just academic curiosity.

mutton is same as lamb, nowadays its called lamb

Incorrect. It may well be so called by your butcher, but if so he/she is a suable cheat. Lamb is indeed young sheep, up to about 1 year/18months old, I am not sure. Mutton is the mature beast, with a much more mature taste. It is very difficult to get good mutton, but if you do it is better than beef. We have just bought a 2 year old sheep for the freezer, and if it tastes like lamb I will sue.

I must say that this thread is bringing out some incredible (and tasty I hasten to add) recipes. 'Corn', 'garlic', 'cheese' - oh, my dear old mum would turn in her grave. She believed that shepherds pie is a good north-country (England) dish for left-overs from the Sunday dinner. Minced mutton/lamb, onions, mashed tatties. Incredible how all these old poor folks dishes become fashionable and more and more complicated.

No offense taken at all. I am american by way of France, Spain, & Africa. But the wife is from Indonesia. As a rule, her family will cook with meat that I would throw out. But many of their dishes are quite spicy.....

p.s. So...lol, what kind of pots are they? :sweating:

erm regular pots I think ;) soup pots from small to big

round ones

and the one I used to make the veggies and the meat is called a wok

its a oriental pan, where u can easely bake things in it

Incorrect. It may well be so called by your butcher, but if so he/she is a suable cheat. Lamb is indeed young sheep, up to about 1 year/18months old, I am not sure. Mutton is the mature beast, with a much more mature taste. It is very difficult to get good mutton, but if you do it is better than beef. We have just bought a 2 year old sheep for the freezer, and if it tastes like lamb I will sue.

thats true what u say but the ground mutton/lamb is ofc the young lamb, couse its a bit cheaper :cry:

I usually order lamb at the butcher, most of them are lamb chops or ribs

nice for the grill or bbq

. Incredible how all these old poor folks dishes become fashionable and more and more complicated.

well poor folks dishes are the best dishes most of the time. its easy to make and noweadays people like to experiment so the dishes become even better:D

Edited by mcrar
thats true what u say but the ground mutton/lamb is ofc the young lamb, couse its a bit cheaper :4rofl:

I usually order lamb at the butcher, most of them are lamb chops or ribs

nice for the grill or bbq

You mean lamb is cheaper than mutton where you are? Lucky. Lucky.

well poor folks dishes are the best dishes most of the time. its easy to make and noweadays people like to experiment so the dishes become even better:D

Couldn't agree more. Pity that making the old 'working class' dishes fashionable often means bigger profit for people bumping up the prices.

I was brought up on simple stuff, which is why I find French 'cuisine' difficult to rave about. And, as you say, a lot of folk like to experiment - another reason to be dissappointed here in France where things are made strictly to the correct recipe or they are not worth thinking about.

Just think about this thread. Shepherds Pie was a 'working class' way of using left-over lamb/mutton, and look what miracles have been made of it in this thread!! :)

No offense taken at all. I am american by way of France, Spain, & Africa. But the wife is from Indonesia. As a rule, her family will cook with meat that I would throw out. But many of their dishes are quite spicy..

Wow, what a superb mix (pity about France!). Food in your place must be something special with a background like that.