Weirdest or grossest thing you have eaten

Knuckles

For me it's easy..........Monkey Brains

Tried some while in the Navy. Had a few Filipino servicemen where I was stationed and was invited over for dinner

have also tried shark, worm cookies, chocolate grasshoppers and tripe

mmm mmmm good :woot:

strangely enough, it's my favorite breakfast food of all time... possibly my favorite food of all time. SCRAPPLE. probably less healthy than chitlins, but at least it smells good and tastes great. anchovies are probably the grossest... and I even used to like them...

-Total

You are quite an adventurous soul, Knuckles. I have had shark, but I wouldn't consider it weird. I just think of it as revenge for all the humans that have been bitten. After years of being repulsed I did eat some tripe and loved it.

I have mentioned this in other threads, but Soto Batawi--it has to be said. A perfect soup with a coconut cream base and cubes of beef and tripe. :wow:

And as a matter of fact, I will be leaving in a few minutes to go eat some Soto Batawi at my brother-in-law's house.

I think for me it was probably the Haggis over in Scotland...no matter how much I tried...no matter how may fine scotches I drunked ( and I mean...I was drunked by the end of the attempt)... It just wouldn't go (in fact even stay) down...

Maybe next time I'll curry it...

:4rofl:

gogo

• 2 years later...

Time to resurrect an old thread.

I'm a massive foodie and I'll try anything once - well try to anyway. I've travelled quite a bit and have some delicacies that I really love and some I don't think I'd ever touch again but if only I had photos to back them up with.

When I was a young one, I used to eat these delicious little eggs called "Hot Vit Lon" only to learn in later years that they were fetal duck eggs. I tried these again when the missus and I travelled to South East Asia back in February this year while we were in Vietnam. She wouldn't go anywhere near my lips for days.

We also tried snake and it had heaps of bones and it didn't have a taste. What was weird was that they cut out the still beating heart and put it in a shot of snake wine for me to drink whole. It is said to promote male virility but I felt like chucking up afterwards - the wine is potent. They usually fry up the snake but you can also opt to have it in a hotpot style broth.

In Kampong Thom (a rest stop town between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh in Cambodia), I tried fried cockroaches and crickets fried with soy sauce. I should reiterate I only had one of each and the texture was crunchy - almost like eating chips/crisps. A local that was on the same bus as us offered us some what looked like a big freaking spider. You eat it like how you would eat crab but I didn't touch that.

Back home in Australia, I've had Pork and Jellyfish in one of my local restaurants Ying Chow. It's really chewy but I love the texture of it. Tastes great in a salad. I've also eaten crocodile, emu and kangaroo. Kangaroo meat is my favourite. It's sweet and very low in fat. Just marinate it with a bit of chilli, garlic and sweet plum sauce and you're set.

I've also eaten chickens feet in black bean sauce and ox tripe in black bean sauce.

Also a favourite here is Gio-Lua Tai which is basically Vietnamese ham. It's a favourite amongst my family and some of our friends but I don't have the heart to tell them that it contains the ears, snouts and cheeks of pigs :thumbsup:

I've still yet to try some weird European foods but I suspect that the products in sausages, salamis and mettwurst contain weird body parts

Noodles...that is a sick, awesome read man... thanks for taking all that time to write up about this! I'm trying to be a foodie too ^^ I have become addicted to Anthony Bourdain... and Top Chefs... yum :D

I know though, that I'll never be a real one...I just don't have the courage or stomach I think to put down all the stuff you did... man, am I ever impressed!

:)

gogo

When I think about what was left when slaughtering a pig at home when I was a kid: nothing.

The hair was used for brushes

the brain for brain sausage

blood for blood sausage

feet for Schweinsfüsschen with Sauerkraut

bones for gelatine,

guts for sausages,

stomach was filled with potatoes and meat and boiled (Old german chancellor Kohl liked this, was even served when he met with politicians of other countries)

bladder for Presskopf (sort of a sausage with cut and not grinded bigger parts of meat)

tongue for Zungenwurst (tongue sausage)

I always had the feeling that more creativity was used to prepare the 'ugly parts' for something eatable. Going this far that the not so good parts became more a delicatesse than the good parts.

The fine gourmet lunch was done for rich people. On countryside everything was used: Sauerbraten (marinated low quality meat), Schweinsfüsse (pig feet), Ochsenschwanzsuppe (ox tail soup), ...

Nowadays this countryside food is no longer considered a poor people food, and the prices for these lower quality parts climbed nearly as high as the prices for good quality parts.

I think it's similiar in other parts of the world: why throw something you can eat away if you don't know if a storm will prevent fishing next weeks, or how long a winter will be.

Yeah too true. I know in heaps of Asian countries especially in China, they use up pretty much every part of an animal because food is scarce especially people from the poorer regions. My other half is Hungarian and she said that they use pretty much every part of pigs to make rich filling dishes.

My worst was Sheep's Eyes, I have no idea what they tasted like and bolted them down fast rather than insult by refusing them. I just couldn't stand the way they looked up at me from my plate! ;)

Edited by podgie_bear

I'm not very adventurous. Probably sushi squid or something.. Or raw oysters... yuck, but the girl who encouraged me was cute hehe! Oh I had korean food with octapus egg thing. Another weird salad with raw eggs mixed with (thin) raw beef. Didn't enjoy that last one.

I must admit there's one food I really couldn't stomach - OX/COW TONGUE! Something about eating an animals tongue that makes me want to puke my guts up. Just the thought is making me dryreach at this moment.

I must admit there's one food I really couldn't stomach - OX/COW TONGUE! Something about eating an animals tongue that makes me want to puke my guts up. Just the thought is making me dryreach at this moment.

zomgod, you've gotta be kidding me ... lol you'd eat this:

chiangraicockroaches.JPG

Over this?

tongue-stew_4231.jpg

gogo

I'm surprised I missed this thread the first time around!

I was a bit adventurist in China. I thought the duck's tendons were actually a vegetable. I thought the pork balls were chicken balls. The pork balls were shattered pork breaded, not boneless chicken breaded. Cut my gums on those...

The fried scorpions were weird... on a bed of tasteless rice puffs (that apparently had a hint of shrimp taste).

So, too, was the fried grasshopper (really gross, the body was full of green guck!)... it was red like a lobster.

I had alligator at Gatorland in Florida. Bland.

The grossest: actually something western: Egg salad sandwich. Rotten texture. Seemed (but wasn't) rotten. Yuck! :whistle:

Somewhere in DM I wrote that my niece studies medicine and they are working on mite cheese , cheese riped and covered by mites, to stop allergies. She has a room in one of our barns to do her experiments and the last tries I would call eatible without being her uncle.

She told us of some cheese from sardinia which is made 'ripe' by maggots, but she said that you have to eat it while the maggots are still living because dead maggots become toxic. So nothing you would get outside sardinia, don't even think that european laws will allow export. Wiki about Casu marzu

My wife is a doc and she works with maggots and medicinal leeches. Maggots live in dead flesh, so if a wound isn't healing, maggots are put on. They will eat away the dead flesh but won't touch healthy flesh. They do a way better cleaning than any surgeon can do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy

Medicinal leeches are also very good in weather forecast, when they try to escape their container it will rain :whistle:

Edited by chattius

Hmm, gross stuff, lessee....

Black pudding was actually pretty tasty. Same for the haggis (had huge servings of both).

The usual snails and frogs' legs, but quite frankly those are pretty mainstream (and yes, frogs' legs taste like chicken :thumbsup:)

One thing I tried once when I lived in France was Andouillette, but the smell of feces was too overpowering for me to take more than a few bites.

Edited by Landrassa
  • 1 month later...

The grossest thing I've eaten was some meat stuff shaped like corn (or maize for some people).

It tasted just like meatballs, but they had a real familiar shape. Yuk!

Too bad I have such a good imagination.

She told us of some cheese from sardinia which is made 'ripe' by maggots, but she said that you have to eat it while the maggots are still living because dead maggots become toxic. So nothing you would get outside sardinia, don't even think that european laws will allow export. Wiki about Casu marzu

I saw a thing on that cheese on BBC America a while back. It was on Gordon Ramsey's F Word show. One of his field reporters went to Sardinia and got to sample some. UTTERLY revolting stuff! I'm sorry... But cheese - at least in my mind - should NOT have squiriming maggots in it. Unless it's hot and melting, cheese should NOT be moving. I don't care if it's the best tasting stuff in the world - I ain't going near it.

• 3 months later...

Weirdest food for me? sheep head, the whole head, cheeks, brains, eyes, tongue and whatever else.

Love frog legs, taste like chickeny fish or fishy chicken!?!

One type of food that I refuse to eat and even work with at the restaurant is Foie Grass. I wont even plate it when the headchef is away!

Other strange stuff, steak tartar (finely diced raw fillet, garlic, chopped parsley, chopped onion, worchester sauce, olive oil, tabasco sauce, raw egg yolk, and capers all mixed together).

Impala testicle(supposed to bring good luck for future hunting trips), not very nice.

still a lot of things that I will try though!

Theuns, I am catching all your posts here this early morning, great seeing your energy here on the boards.

And ... you don't like foie gras... *gasp* :o

How is such things possible! :P Honestly though, this is probably one of the most expensive things just about you can order in a fancy restaurant. Is it the texture, or smell? I've actually only had it a few times (so expensive!) and in all those cases, lol, was always paid for by someone else.

:bounce:

gogo

Foie gras is named Stopfleber in german. Stopfen means to press food into the throat of a goose to make the liver(Leber) really fat. The production is forbidden by animal protection laws in germany. Strangely it is allowed to import it from france. I ate it a few times as a young boy. The wife of a farmer nearby had to flee from hungary in 1945 and she was used to do it in hungary. I stopped eating it when I was like 8 and saw how the geese were 'feeded'.

Steak tartare I ate a few times when I was at army. The dad of a guy in my platoon run a restaurant. It tasted really good. At a good restaurant the steak tartare is mixed at your table to proof that evry thing is fresh and that the knives are clean. I was used to raw meat since I was a young kid. Mett is minced pork with some spices and it was allways on the table whenever we butchered a pig. You can buy bread roles with Mett and onions in our area as easily as Hotdogs in america. At parties you often see half bread roles, smeared with Mett. Normally a bowl with chopped onions and a spoon is nearby. If it is extremely fine minced beefsteak we call it Schabefleisch (schaben = abrading/scraping with a knifem Fleisch = flesh/meat).

220px-Mettbroetchen.jpg. I know like 20 names for raw meat of different variants.

Impala testicles: I bet they are easier to get in south africa than in germany. But I noticed that the Bure(?) kitchen is not too far away from ours. Bauer(bure) is german(dutch) for farmer. And the area I live is very close to the birthplace of Wilhelm from Oranien who became dutch king after fighting the spain. Not too far away only if it is caddle and pigs ;)

Roasted sheep head: Sheep were not in much use in my area which was mainly wood pasture. Sheep need gras, so half wild pigs, small mountain caddle yes, sheeps rather no in my recipe collection.

Survival recipe from army time: Put a hedgehog in clay and put it in a fire. Never tried, since it is forbidden normally. But it seems to be a recipe from the Sinti and Roma (how to say it political correct? They are like nomading gypsies in central europe) and whenever they do a camp somewhere there are less hedgehogs than before.

Edited by chattius

lol, k, now that did it, there goes breakfast :P

Chattius, I think I knew that about the ducks, but since I never really ate it that much, it never really impacted me having to get to choose or not, I do remember making the choice not to support or order veal ever since I found out how calves were suffering.

And... here is a video I saw a while back featuring our irascible Anthony Bourdain and his visit to a duck farm to learn how they do not hurt their geese in any way etc etc....

Do you buy it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABeWlY0KFv8

gogo

Theuns, I am catching all your posts here this early morning, great seeing your energy here on the boards.

And ... you don't like foie gras... *gasp* :o

How is such things possible! :P Honestly though, this is probably one of the most expensive things just about you can order in a fancy restaurant. Is it the texture, or smell? I've actually only had it a few times (so expensive!) and in all those cases, lol, was always paid for by someone else.

gogo

not one of the reasons you mentioned gogo.

It is just the way in which it is obtained, the force feeding is cruel

"Force feeding overrides animal preference and homeostasis. Although ducks may, under some conditions, voluntarily consume large amounts of food, if force feeding is interrupted they will fast for a period of 3 days or longer, indicating that ducks have been fed past the point of satiety."

If the animal wanted to eat that much and let its liver explode inside of it, then I'm sure they wouldn't have to be force fed.

I know about how expensive it is. where I work, other starters range from R 40-00 to R 75-00 and the foie gras goes for R 220-00 (R= South African Rand) for +- 80grams

Very smart of you to let other people pay for it though! :thumbsup:

Theuns

Did you see the video Delta? Do you think it's overly excessive or cruel or painful?

I remember deciding when not to eat Veal as protest, and am wondering about this now, and if whether the foie gras industry is reacting by treating their animals better?

gogo

Yes I watched the clip, but that doesn't mean it is like that in all situations, and I still maintain my standing, that if the animal wanted to eat that much, it would've. I'm not an activist that would terrorise someone, I just don't want to eat it, and I just refuse to prepare it.

Fair enough

I think then I would probably ask the restaurant that offered it and I as interested in eating it how it was prepared. I know I was surprised when I began to find out that some restaurants were very careful with where they bought their veal from, and were, in fact, proud, of the humane methods of raising.

This affected the decision I had made many years back, and now I felt better when I asked and they responded with an answer that convinced me.

This discussion topic now has definitely raised my level of awareness and, as well with it, the behavior I evince when ordering in a restaurant.

Impact!

gogo