Selecting Sacred Underworld Skills...

Currently playing through the game for the first time and encountered a problem. Playing as a Gladiator, I got Weapon Lore, Concentration, Constitution, Armor and Agility. Wanted to avoid picking any weapon specialization to not be bound to anything yet and don't want to dual-wield (playing with a shield) but when I reached level 30 and wanted to get Parrying, there is problem that there are too many skills unlocked and when selecting a new skill, Parrying does not show up due to the list being full. I have 2 skills to select now (skipped the one at level 20) and only after I select one other skill does it show up. Is this the expected behavior? Do I have to select one other skill first to progress down the list? No way to manually scroll it?

My plan was to get Parrying and Trading and decide later down the line what the last skill would be.

• Like! 1
  • The title was changed to Selecting Sacred Underworld Skills...
On 11/25/2021 at 4:54 PM, idbeholdME said:

Currently playing through the game for the first time and encountered a problem. Playing as a Gladiator, I got Weapon Lore, Concentration, Constitution, Armor and Agility. Wanted to avoid picking any weapon specialization to not be bound to anything yet and don't want to dual-wield (playing with a shield) but when I reached level 30 and wanted to get Parrying, there is problem that there are too many skills unlocked and when selecting a new skill, Parrying does not show up due to the list being full. I have 2 skills to select now (skipped the one at level 20) and only after I select one other skill does it show up. Is this the expected behavior? Do I have to select one other skill first to progress down the list? No way to manually scroll it?

My plan was to get Parrying and Trading and decide later down the line what the last skill would be.

On 11/25/2021 at 4:54 PM, idbeholdME said:

I  didnt play Gladator Mister Crow :D But I know some members here have, maybe someone will be able to chime back with some delicious tips for honing your Glad's Prowess.

:viking:

gogo

On 11/25/2021 at 11:54 PM, idbeholdME said:

You re playing normal sacred ? (I mean sacred gold 2.28?)

• Thanks! 1
On 11/27/2021 at 2:34 PM, SupremeJoker said:

You re playing normal sacred ? (I mean sacred gold 2.28?)

Yes. No mods or anything. Just dinged level 50, killed 2 boss Dragons so far, encountered my first bugged quest, was about to head south in act II, the usual. But I really see no other way out than to pick something to get to Parrying and Trading. Shame. I mainly wanted to know if there was some method to scroll down the skill list but I assume I would have been able to find that if it were possible.

That probably means Axe Lore or Sword Lore for a shield user. Although I generally hate being restricted to one weapon type, the only options I have currently available with 3 unpicked skills are 5 weapon lore skills, Dual-Wielding, Riding and Disarming. Don't want to dual-wield, not using mounts much and Disarming seems bad and would require dumping a ton of points into it to have a usable chance.

Which weapons would be more suited for 1-handed + shield Gladiator? So far, I generally keep finding better one-handed swords than axes but Axes look cooler. Can't really decide.... Might start a hybrid Seraphim instead :) No threat of getting skill blocked there.

One extra question:

Does the % of world discovered increase magic find like it does in Sacred 2? Just to know whether I should try to hit those map squares.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Like! 1

Ended up taking Axe Lore. Also was immediately rewarded by finding a Dalmar's Judge so currently pivoted away from shields and mowing everything down with this puppy. But my initial reasoning was that my future character plans are:

Hybrid Seraphim with Long-Handled Weapons

Sword Vampiress

Dual-Wielding Dark Elf or Demoness

Bow/ranged Wood Elf

Pure caster Battle Mage

So that left Gladiator for the Axes/Maces, which honestly fits better on him than Swords. I don't have an unarmed character planned (Gladiator would probably be the best for that due to Gauntlets), but I'm not really interested in unarmed anyway.

I also noticed that there seem to be a lot of weapon types, that can have weapons exclusive to some class. I've seen Vampiress only swords, Seraphim only Long-Handled weapons and swords, Gladiator only 2-handed axes etc. Is there a list somewhere of weapons in weapon classes that are only usable by one character?

12 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Ended up taking Axe Lore. Also was immediately rewarded by finding a Dalmar's Judge so currently pivoted away from shields and mowing everything down with this puppy. But my initial reasoning was that my future character plans are:

Hybrid Seraphim with Long-Handled Weapons

Sword Vampiress

Dual-Wielding Dark Elf or Demoness

Bow/ranged Wood Elf

Pure caster Battle Mage

So that left Gladiator for the Axes/Maces, which honestly fits better on him than Swords. I don't have an unarmed character planned (Gladiator would probably be the best for that due to Gauntlets), but I'm not really interested in unarmed anyway.

I also noticed that there seem to be a lot of weapon types, that can have weapons exclusive to some class. I've seen Vampiress only swords, Seraphim only Long-Handled weapons and swords, Gladiator only 2-handed axes etc. Is there a list somewhere of weapons in weapon classes that are only usable by one character?

Well if you play regular sacred ,I advise you to make full fadalmar axe if you taxe axe lore and if you manage to pull the icons ,it s easy game,bassicaly you won t need anyhing else :D

• Thanks! 1
4 hours ago, Lindor said:

Hey Mr. Crow:bye:,

it has been a while since I last played sacred, but I can give some general beginner tips if you want:

Hide contents

Axe Lore is an excellent choice for your gladiator. You might wanna look out for Thains Axe of Flames, you can find it north to mascarell on a hidden pathway that lets you walk straight through the forest. It respawns there on every new difficulty level or multiplayer game, so you can always re-get it whenever you feel like. The exact location is available online, I won't spoil it in case you wanna find it yourself :)

If you're having trouble dealing with bosses in close combat early on, you can use a ranged weapon to shoot and quickly switch to your axe weapon slot before the arrows/projectiles hit. Since damage is calculated on hit, the arrows will then do the damage of your Melee Weapons. It's an exploit though, up to you if you wanna use it.

Axe Lore increases Both Attack Value (which is NOT Damage, it's hit chance) and attack speed. The maximum attack speed is reached at axe lore level 20, after that you're only benefitting from attack value increase. Most even let it at level 1 because you get plenty of gear boni later on which gets you axe lore past level 20 without doing anything and you can get attack value from other sources.

Last but not least, it is mathematically proven that physical regen is better than strength for melee damage since it decreases your cooldowns. Later on "Left-click-attacks" will do next to nothing next to abilities which is why it's so important.

For your future plans I can recommend Gust of Wind for your Battlemage, it is a very beginner friendly spell because of the stun and knockback.

For your question about char-bound weapons, there are of course lots of different Unique Weapons tied to a character, but from your question I get that you're more interested into normal weapons? Well, I don't know of such a list, but from my experience IIRC, it would be something like that:

• Gladiator - 2hAxes, Fist Weapons, Crossbows
  • Wood Elf - These super large elven bows
  • Seraphim - Swords and Long Handled Weapons
  • Vampiress - Swords
  • Dwarf - 2hHammers(which count as axes), pistols, muskets
  • Dark Elf - Blade Weapons and Swords
  • Daemon - Swords

Maybe I forgot something, correct me if I'm wrong

Hope that helped you, have fun!

This list is exactly what I meant. Thanks. One other thing I also found was a Seraphim only shield that looked more like an energy barrier than a regular shield.

Beginner tips are not really needed as I have a ton of experience from Sacred 2 and most of the things are the same or at least very similar here. And it will take some time for me to start a different character. As this is my first time playing the game, I plan on uncovering as much of the map as possible on my first playthrough (to see everything in the game) on Silver. Even though the world discovered % does not increase magic find in this game unlike in Sacred 2, I want to see everything there is in the world at least once. Definitely will not be as meticulous about exploration on the future characters.

Bosses are still manageable. Killed 3 Dragons already and at worst, they hit me for about 1-1.5K HP per hit (the 30% of the time they actually manage to hit me through defense), which my 7-8K HP pool can take quite comfortably. And their breath is easily avoided. The most annoying at the moment are enemies that inflict poison due to the massive slow.

As for strength vs. Physical Regen, I find Strength doing just fine for damage due to the %Strength as physical damage that the heavy hitting weapons have. And the bonus damage from Strength compensates keeping the CAs a couple levels lower than if I pumped Phys Regen. Will keep putting points into Strength at least until level 100, then will probably start putting them into Physical Regen to finally end up with about a 50/50 split in the end.

And a final observation on weapons. It seems that one handed swords of the same level tend to deal more damage than Axes/Maces, but it is inverse for the 2-handed versions, where Axe damage seems to dominate.

Edited by idbeholdME
1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

This list is exactly what I meant. Thanks. One other thing I also found was a Seraphim only shield that looked more like an energy barrier than a regular shield.

Beginner tips are not really needed as I have a ton of experience from Sacred 2 and most of the things are the same or at least very similar here. And it will take some time for me to start a different character. As this is my first time playing the game, I plan on uncovering as much of the map as possible on my first playthrough (to see everything in the game) on Silver. Even though the world discovered % does not increase magic find in this game unlike in Sacred 2, I want to see everything there is in the world at least once. Definitely will not be as meticulous about exploration on the future characters.

Bosses are still manageable. Killed 3 Dragons already and at worst, they hit me for about 1-1.5K HP per hit (the 30% of the time they actually manage to hit me through defense), which my 7-8K HP pool can take quite comfortably. And their breath is easily avoided. The most annoying at the moment are enemies that inflict poison due to the massive slow.

As for strength vs. Physical Regen, I find Strength doing just fine for damage due to the %Strength as physical damage that the heavy hitting weapons have. And the bonus damage from Strength compensates keeping the CAs a couple levels lower than if I pumped Phys Regen. Will keep putting points into Strength at least until level 100, then will probably start putting them into Physical Regen to finally end up with about a 50/50 split in the end.

And a final observation on weapons. It seems that one handed swords of the same level tend to deal more damage than Axes/Maces, but it is inverse for the 2-handed versions, where Axe damage seems to dominate.

For poison I advise you to to get at least these items to help you for your problem ( a good belt with poison protection and poison resistence + at least one good bonus like Physic reg,regeneration special move,3 amulets with poison protection and poison ressitence,1 to wear and 2 socket them on the belt if you get lucky to have a belt with 2 sockets)

I walkthrough the world to when I make a new char for tests ,fun ,builds etc... because the world is very big and every time I discover some new cool place ,nice looking houses ,forest's etc... so yeah its nice to explore the world 

As for the weapons it various from char to char and the type of weapon ,an eg. you can find a high level regular sword with poison dmg and a cobra blade for elf at the same level,but the cobra will have huge dmg poison ,because its made for that ,so its not a certain think ,one more eg . for battle mage ,you can play battle mage with staff,you will find probably a staff that all the time will have higher dmg than a small staff or a sword ,but if you choose to play the mage with a small staff and a shield you can get more dmg (because you have 2 items ,which mean more socketing,I see that in sacred gold ,scoketing is a think that really matters.if you can pull a good yellow items with sockets ,99% of the time will be better than a set or unique)

One more think,since you re playing vanilla sacred ,right? the damage type doesnt matter so much ,in the original version you can go full psyhical with no problem ,doesnt matter what char you play or what style ,since the ressitence are not so great on vanilla (reason I like to play reborn mode ) 

In the end ,depends how much have you play sacred and how much you know about things ,if you think you have more questions ,I would like to help you get a great Hero  :D ! ! !

• Thanks! 1
19 hours ago, SupremeJoker said:

One more think,since you re playing vanilla sacred ,right? the damage type doesnt matter so much ,in the original version you can go full psyhical with no problem ,doesnt matter what char you play or what style ,since the ressitence are not so great on vanilla (reason I like to play reborn mode ) 

In the end ,depends how much have you play sacred and how much you know about things ,if you think you have more questions ,I would like to help you get a great Hero  :D ! ! !

What a singularly good piece of advice... A single *secret* element that can cut through all the work and just take out everything ?  Wish I'd known something like this when we game came out and we were playing HC.. Supreme Joker, I would have saved many heart aches from too many deaths :4rofl: 

Yes... helping others to get great heroes what a generous, heart-warming sentiment not just for gaming

but for making every day awesome

... Merry Christmas sir

:thumbsup:

gogo

:

42 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

What a singularly good piece of advice... A single *secret* element that can cut through all the work and just take out everything ?  Wish I'd known something like this when we game came out and we were playing HC.. Supreme Joker, I would have saved many heart aches from too many deaths :4rofl: 

Yes... helping others to get great heroes what a generous, heart-warming sentiment not just for gaming

but for making every day awesome

... Merry Christmas sir

:thumbsup:

gogo

:

Thank you for your kind words ! to bad I wasn't in this forum when you played sir,I would probably helped you very much in that times ,I like to help others on getting good Heroes as I was helped very much by my friend Metal from overlookers ,just that :D

• Respect! 1
On 12/1/2021 at 7:59 PM, SupremeJoker said:

For poison I advise you to to get at least these items to help you for your problem ( a good belt with poison protection and poison resistence + at least one good bonus like Physic reg,regeneration special move,3 amulets with poison protection and poison ressitence,1 to wear and 2 socket them on the belt if you get lucky to have a belt with 2 sockets)

Yeah, turns out that the best counter to the poison DoT is to actually have some poison resist. I had none (like 60) for the longest time (60+ levels) and the slow would last like 15 seconds and drop my movement and attack speed to the lowest possible value (100). Now I have 300 poison resist and the poison DoTs last only a couple seconds at most and don't slow me down so drastically. The other thread I created about this can probably be deleted.

As for the weapons it various from char to char and the type of weapon ,an eg. you can find a high level regular sword with poison dmg and a cobra blade for elf at the same level,but the cobra will have huge dmg poison ,because its made for that ,so its not a certain think ,one more eg . for battle mage ,you can play battle mage with staff,you will find probably a staff that all the time will have higher dmg than a small staff or a sword ,but if you choose to play the mage with a small staff and a shield you can get more dmg (because you have 2 items ,which mean more socketing,I see that in sacred gold ,scoketing is a think that really matters.if you can pull a good yellow items with sockets ,99% of the time will be better than a set or unique)

About socketing, I am currently always doing one ring/amulet and the rest blacksmith upgrades. As I can remove only one item from the sockets, I don't want to lose my good rings and amulets when swapping gear. The exception is my trading set.

And I definitely noticed that yellows can have much better stats than sets and Uniques. I am currently using just a couple random set pieces for their rare mods (life steal, magic find, increased XP per kill or +%Strength weapon damage) and using yellows for the rest.

I am, although I have to say that even in Silver, it is noticeable when an enemy has high physical resistance. It definitely cuts down on the damage output. My hard hit currently hits for about 25K, but dragons take maybe half of that. Same for enemies. When I was fighting the Ice Elves for example, I definitely noticed my lack of Magical Resistance while I shrug off Physical hits like nothing.

Thanks, appreciate it. I don't think I'll be having many more questions but if I do stumble upon something new or unclear, I'll ask.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Appreciation 1
16 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

About socketing, I am currently always doing one ring/amulet and the rest blacksmith upgrades. As I can remove only one item from the sockets, I don't want to lose my good rings and amulets when swapping gear. The exception is my trading set.

You can easily save the rings or amulets if you don t wanna loose them,I will teach you a trick if you play Lan network or online,get an underworld campaign,drop the items you want ,save ,after you save collect your items from ground ,then load the save(you need to load it 2 times for items to be there )and boom you have dublicate your items,that's how I do thinks.

am, although I have to say that even in Silver, it is noticeable when an enemy has high physical resistance. It definitely cuts down on the damage output. My hard hit currently hits for about 25K, but dragons take maybe half of that. Same for enemies. When I was fighting the Ice Elves for example, I definitely noticed my lack of Magical Resistance while I shrug off Physical hits like nothing.

beside poison ressitence(which helps you to stay alive,not getting slowed etc...)the others doesnt matter in sacred,I am an end game player,I play just niobium ,I ve tested multiple times,not just me ,the guys from overlookers clan too,doesnt matter how much ressitence you have,for eg in niobium at lv 216 the mele attacks from dragons  will deal around 17659 dmg per hit,it doesnt matter you have 10k resistence or 100k,so to escape their devastating blows,so you won t get one shot,you need hp ,at end game ,to ressit a region bosses you need at least 100k hp (and life leach to sustain the dmg you take from enemies),as for the ressintence you see at dragons and enemis,at end game if you socket just with Dragon slayer ring and great ring of concentration (eg for dwarf,vampire,gladiator etc....)you will nearly one shot every dragon ,in some cases like dwarf,the dmg will be so high you might reset dragons life :D (when I mean one shot ,I mean using the combat arts,like hard hit for eg,not simple attacks).

• Thanks! 1
On 12/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, SupremeJoker said:

You can easily save the rings or amulets if you don t wanna loose them,I will teach you a trick if you play Lan network or online,get an underworld campaign,drop the items you want ,save ,after you save collect your items from ground ,then load the save(you need to load it 2 times for items to be there )and boom you have dublicate your items,that's how I do thinks.

I am aware of the LAN game saves (I'm stashing all the sets, uniques and good rare items I find for other characters while playing the Gladiator) but I don't really want to duplicate items or bypass intended systems. And is there even a way to get items from saved LAN games back into a single-player game in progress? So far, it seems that the only way to get to those items is exporting the single player character, picking the items up and starting single player again. Meaning that you can only get the items into single player when starting a new difficulty. Or is there some way I am not aware of? I was thinking about making a smithing dwarf but it would honestly be pointless when I could only forge those items in-between difficulties.

Also, when I found an area that said Jason laid out in stones, I finally looked at the secrets video and found out that there are supposed to be items there. I've found all the secret areas from the video, but the only thing I got were the shades. Neither Thane's Axe, nor the Jason mask and machette spawned in my game. Or I got close enough to the items on the map so that the game spawned them but before I got to the actual secret area, they already despawned. I was very close to the Jason area a long time ago when I checked out the cave that connects the starting grasslands with the Swamp (where the Arogarn quest is) and was also very close to the Thane's Axe some time before entering the actual secret area. Either way, Silver is lost. Will try them again when I'm rushing through Gold and Plat into Niob.

And one other random question: It seems that the quality of the sockets on items (bronze, silver, gold) is irrelevant in the first Sacred. In 2, amulets could only be put in gold slots and rings into silver and gold. The silver and gold sockets also gave a small bonus to all the stats. None of that seems present in Sacred 1. Does the quality of the socket affect anything at all here? Or is the quantity of them the only thing that matters?

Edited by idbeholdME
5 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

And is there even a way to get items from saved LAN games back into a single-player game in progress?

No.

So far, it seems that the only way to get to those items is exporting the single player character, picking the items up and starting single player again. Meaning that you can only get the items into single player when starting a new difficulty

You don't need to start a new difficulty, but you do need to start a new game in single player campaign mode.

Also on duplicating item, there's a glitch that not all dropped items spawn correctly if you load in only once, especially if there are lots of items dropped on the ground. So if you don't want any items to get lost you need to load in, drop your items, save, pick them up, quit, load in again, quit again without saving and then load in a third time, pick up the items and quit again. I had to do that multiple times when I was working on my character pack.

Or is there some way I am not aware of?

You can play multiplayer campaign instead of singleplayer campaign as a workaround.

Also, when I found an area that said Jason laid out in stones, I finally looked at the secrets video and found out that there are supposed to be items there. I've found all the secret areas from the video, but the only thing I got were the shades. Neither Thane's Axe, nor the Jason mask and machette spawned in my game. Or I got close enough to the items on the map so that the game spawned them but before I got to the actual secret area, they already despawned. I was very close to the Jason area a long time ago when I checked out the cave that connects the starting grasslands with the Swamp (where the Arogarn quest is) and was also very close to the Thane's Axe some time before entering the actual secret area.

That is correct. Happened to me multiple times as well. Dropped items despawn if you're far enough away and save/load.

And one other random question: It seems that the quality of the sockets on items (bronze, silver, gold) is irrelevant in the first Sacred. In 2, amulets could only be put in gold slots and rings into silver and gold. The silver and gold sockets also gave a small bonus to all the stats. None of that seems present in Sacred 1. Does the quality of the socket affect anything at all here? Or is the quantity of them the only thing that matters?

http://pctalk.info/Games/Sacred2/Wolfes.Lair/SacredUnderworld/Pages/GameBasics-SocketingGuide.html

Have fun:Cherna_24:

• Thanks! 1
8 hours ago, Lindor said:

Also on duplicating item, there's a glitch that not all dropped items spawn correctly if you load in only once, especially if there are lots of items dropped on the ground. So if you don't want any items to get lost you need to load in, drop your items, save, pick them up, quit, load in again, quit again without saving and then load in a third time, pick up the items and quit again. I had to do that multiple times when I was working on my character pack.

I noticed that. On the 1st load, some items will usually be missing but on the 2nd load, they show up correctly.

8 hours ago, Lindor said:

So it does give bonuses, but only to the main damage/resistance values. That might be why I didn't notice as I was always looking whether the other values increased.

Thanks.

• Like! 1

Also, when I found an area that said Jason laid out in stones, I finally looked at the secrets video and found out that there are supposed to be items there. I've found all the secret areas from the video, but the only thing I got were the shades. Neither Thane's Axe, nor the Jason mask and machette spawned in my game. Or I got close enough to the items on the map so that the game spawned them but before I got to the actual secret area, they already despawned. I was very close to the Jason area a long time ago when I checked out the cave that connects the starting grasslands with the Swamp (where the Arogarn quest is) and was also very close to the Thane's Axe some time before entering the actual secret area. Either way, Silver is lost. Will try them again when I'm rushing through Gold and Plat into Niob.

You should play Lan,in that way you can get that items how many times you want and on different difficulty (bronze,silver,gold etc...)

As for the dwarf ,if you play for example Reborn mod,you can use it to forge items for other characters,that s how I do for a new Hero to help him level up faster  ,it s your choice,also you can trade beetween Hero's since you are allowed to open multiple sacred clients.

Edited by SupremeJoker
  • Thanks! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Found one more thing I'd like to ask about.

There are some quests that award skill/attribute points. I'm currently running through Gold and been wondering, whether these quests are repeatable. There is the Bounty Hunt in the main game and several quests in Underworld. How do they work exactly? Can you get the points in every playthrough? Can you farm them infinitely if you just keep restarting the campaign? Or can every character only do them once and they don't award attribute/skill points  on subsequent completions? Or once per difficulty? Should I return to Bronze and do these quests there too?

Just been wondering whether I should bother doing those quests again or just continue my rush to Niobium.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Thanks! 1
36 minutes ago, idbeholdME said:

You get a bonus only once per difficulty. I personally would recommend to skip those quests entirely and to do them not before you have reached max level. After you have farmed, or bought your top notch gear together, you can use the additional points to work a bit at your heros soft spots.

• Thanks! 1
1 hour ago, Dax said:

You get a bonus only once per difficulty. I personally would recommend to skip those quests entirely and to do them not before you have reached max level. After you have farmed, or bought your top notch gear together, you can use the additional points to work a bit at your heros soft spots.

Thanks. Then I will do the Bounty Hunt as I am going through the difficulties (no reason not to) and leave Underworld until later as you have to play through pretty much tne entirety of it to get all the bonus points. Got them all on Silver.

• Like! 1