Sword of Truth goes Hollywood

ganto

Hi

Big fan of the Sword of Truth series from the author Terry Goodkind. Stumbled on to this info that a mini series is currently in the make on the first book Wizards first rule! :) 22 hour long episodes!!, though its Disney and Sam Raimi as the producer (Xena, Hercules) so Im not sure how true to the book they can be.

Well ...read more here

Mock-up-1.jpg

This is great news indeed because this is my all time favorite fantasy series!! Am still waiting for the softbound copy of the last book. I wonder who is going to play the role of Kahlan who is described in the book as a beautiful spirit in the flesh.

I love this series. But...I see problems with them adapting the first novel to the screen. There's that torture scene with the main character and the girl...like something out of hostel...worse, cuz it's all in our minds..and some of the imagery is downright spooky...like that kid buried in the sand kidnapped from his parents for a month and then fed gruel that was magicked to be his favorite food? With the last feeding turned into boiling hot lead killing the child and then transforming him into a carrier to the underworld for the evil wizard?

Some pretty gruesome imagery...I'll be astonished if Disney does a half decent adaption of this.

:)

gogo

lol, now I feel like going and finding that first book...Terry Goodkind really brought a ton of new concepts to life in that novel. Some of the stuff that poured out of his mind onto paper was so fresh...something the fantasy genre needed. That's one thing I'll say about this author...he really knows how to push the envelope.

:)

gogo

I loved the 1st few books then one came out that basically had nothing to do with Richard and Kahlan until the very end. Can't remember which book it was but guessing 4th or 5th one. Was really disappointed and stopped reading the series after that one.

But it will very interesting to see how they adapt story line

hey gogo I didn't know you are reading the series?

@ knuckles : you must be talking about book 5 titled Soul of the Fire? It was the book about the chimes and the Anderith people

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I gotta to watch this!! I don't totally agree with the choices for Richard and Kahlan though!!

This viewer's casting are better.

Edited by cyclops
The books were awesome (ones I read anyway)

But this trailer looks awful!

noooooooooooooooo

:D

gogo

Haha, why gogo?

I was expecting Xena quality tbh so was supprised when I watched the trailer and also the actors signed to it. I think it looks promising for a disney rated movie atleast :D

Ty for the link cyclops :)

Edited by ganto

I just loved the first three books so much. They're definitely up there for me with some of the better fantasy trilogies I've read. I guess I was expecting production qualities on the level of Lord of the Rings or something.

Alas... only one lord of the rings huh

:P

gogo

• 3 months later...

hi all, yes this is a good book I've read all of them, confeser being the last book, enjoyed them all. dident know about a movie tho, but if walt disney is makeing it they wont do the book the way it is, seeing as disany is linked to children, I dought you'd want your 5 year old to watch a disny movie with the vilent senes.

hi all, yes this is a good book I've read all of them, confeser being the last book, enjoyed them all. dident know about a movie tho, but if walt disney is makeing it they wont do the book the way it is, seeing as disany is linked to children, I dought you'd want your 5 year old to watch a disny movie with the vilent senes.

They should keep it true to the books, especially the scene with Darken Rahl + The young boy, it'd teach them young ones a lesson! :P

But yeah, I doubt anything good or true to the books is gonna come out of this...

~Doom

They should keep it true to the books, especially the scene with Darken Rahl + The young boy, it'd teach them young ones a lesson! :P

But yeah, I doubt anything good or true to the books is gonna come out of this...

~Doom

They are definitely not going to include that scene Tim unless they want an R or maybe even an X rating :P

They should keep it true to the books, especially the scene with Darken Rahl + The young boy, it'd teach them young ones a lesson! :devil:

:(

~Doom

They are definitely not going to include that scene Tim unless they want an R or maybe even an X rating :whistle:

Well to be honest its surprising its being made at all, especially by disney, the books includes, rape, pedophilia, ritual murder, various perversions, torture, sexual torture, insanity, mass murder... Probably some other stuff that I can't think of as well :blink:

You know that brings up a sort of duplicity in our culture, films are rated while books, which can create far worse images in or imaginations than films have, are not... Because I'm sure any film that included all the above would simply be banned from most places

Odd isn't it

:oooo:

~Doom

The first episodes is out and I watched them. It doesn't follow the book much if any though the main plot is kept as well as most characters. Its more a series set in the universe of SoT where every episode (so far) is just like a Xena or Hercules episode - meaning every episode is a new little adventure concluded in the same episode. My hopes is that it will be like X-Files was where a few episodes here and there will push the main story forward.

And nothing on the topics you mentioned tim is included :whistle:

Here is the 10 min preview from the first episode on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6AYsCRDhEo

Lots of more clips there for anyone interested :blink:

Ohhh so it is the same show. Legend of the Seeker?

Thats one bad show. As you said it Ganto it is the same style as Herc. and Zena and its made by the same people. even some of there cast. :whistle: I think the time of this kind of cheap shows is log past I dont see it running for too long. Unless they have too much money.

Cheap effects, nothing big in the story for now. Mainly they run around the woods. Small cast not good acting.

One good thing is there swords have improved since Herc. and Zena.(they dont bend that easy and shine more naturally :blink:)

Found an interesting link some of you may appreciate. Gogo, don't bother looking, I'm sure you wouldn't like it.

LiveCinemaOnline

[Added]

The link I gave only shows a part of the first episode. The last part can be viewed => here <=.

Edited by Spock