Taste after Covid

I figured this belongs here, since it deals with food. After Covid, I couldn't smell or taste anything for a good chunk of time. When it returned, everything smelled and tasted like vegetable glycerin. So, I thought it was somehow related to smoking, right? So I stopped. And then, I went to vaping, and nothing changed. I switched devices and vape brands, and nothing changed. So, I stopped in February, and it got worse. Everything smelled and tasted like vegetable glycerin, even my deodorant and shampoo. Well, I'm not sure how those taste, but they stink of vegetable glycerin. So, when I realized that something's actually up, I went online, and did all that crap. The zinc stuff, vitamin c stuff, the elderberry stuff, using essential oils and peppermint, even eating burned popcorn. All that crap, and nothing worked. The whole darn world smells of vegetable glycerin, and everything I put in my mouth tastes like it. But I discovered one trick, after five sucky months. Lol, kind of sounds like an ad, but I promise this isn't a plug for anything. 

Before I chew or swallow anything, I let it rest on my tongue and take several deep breaths in through my mouth. Of course I probably look like a giant dork doing that, but it's either that or taste vegetable glycerin. It's a slight pain in the butt with liquids; it means I can only take tiny sips at a time. I wish I would have known this months ago, because I threw out a whole fridge-worth of gourmet meat, cheese and wines because I thought my fridge had gone bad. A friend had made me this charcuterie board type of deal, which I also pitched bc I thought my fridge ruined it. So, because I'm so elated to actually be able to taste things again, I thought I'd share this tip with you, in case somebody needed it. 

• Thanks! 1

First: hope you fully recover

Covid probably damages the cells which hold the smelling cells together. Without these supporting cells the smelling cells can't work or even die. Med papers say that there is a chance to re-program the brain: take 4 flasks with total different smells and try to differ them. 2 minutes in morning, two minutes in evening. Some studies show that this can speedup the healing by a factor of two. But since some people need more than a year to recover, don't expect wonders.

olfactory-epithelium-receptor-cells-nasa

Our third visits an art school. The year before she started there a class got infected. After one and a half year a third of the class is still far away to play music instruments at their former level, they wouldn't even pass the joining tests again. This were so called light infections and they said that young people were save.

I got a virus disease from tourists returning from the mediterran in my main growing phase. As a result the growing of my legs was slowed, 'just' 192cm. I say just because ny torso and arms are designed for 205cm. Classmates madee a joke and called me monkey. I was nice in swimming however or as a handball goalie. But when covid came I told my family to don't believe that it would be easy for kids. None of us had it yet and we all have fourth immunisation.

People say that noone knows longtime problems with mrna immunisations. I say the same with longtime covid andi fear the second more.

• Like! 1
On 5/22/2022 at 12:37 AM, DocHoff said:

I figured this belongs here, since it deals with food. After Covid, I couldn't smell or taste anything for a good chunk of time. When it returned, everything smelled and tasted like vegetable glycerin. So, I thought it was somehow related to smoking, right? So I stopped. And then, I went to vaping, and nothing changed. I switched devices and vape brands, and nothing changed. So, I stopped in February, and it got worse. Everything smelled and tasted like vegetable glycerin, even my deodorant and shampoo. Well, I'm not sure how those taste, but they stink of vegetable glycerin. So, when I realized that something's actually up, I went online, and did all that crap. The zinc stuff, vitamin c stuff, the elderberry stuff, using essential oils and peppermint, even eating burned popcorn. All that crap, and nothing worked. The whole darn world smells of vegetable glycerin, and everything I put in my mouth tastes like it. But I discovered one trick, after five sucky months. Lol, kind of sounds like an ad, but I promise this isn't a plug for anything. 

Before I chew or swallow anything, I let it rest on my tongue and take several deep breaths in through my mouth. Of course I probably look like a giant dork doing that, but it's either that or taste vegetable glycerin. It's a slight pain in the butt with liquids; it means I can only take tiny sips at a time. I wish I would have known this months ago, because I threw out a whole fridge-worth of gourmet meat, cheese and wines because I thought my fridge had gone bad. A friend had made me this charcuterie board type of deal, which I also pitched bc I thought my fridge ruined it. So, because I'm so elated to actually be able to taste things again, I thought I'd share this tip with you, in case somebody needed it. 

my friend had baaaad covid and had issues with taste as well, but he didnt lose it like y ours, he said that things just started tasting very very strange..he luckily got it back after it passed, hoping your delicious taste buds come dancing again and with it that whole fridge of gourmet meats and cheeses!

:hugs:

gogo

On 5/22/2022 at 3:46 AM, chattius said:

First: hope you fully recover

Covid probably damages the cells which hold the smelling cells together. Without these supporting cells the smelling cells can't work or even die. Med papers say that there is a chance to re-program the brain: take 4 flasks with total different smells and try to differ them. 2 minutes in morning, two minutes in evening. Some studies show that this can speedup the healing by a factor of two. But since some people need more than a year to recover, don't expect wonders.

olfactory-epithelium-receptor-cells-nasa

Our third visits an art school. The year before she started there a class got infected. After one and a half year a third of the class is still far away to play music instruments at their former level, they wouldn't even pass the joining tests again. This were so called light infections and they said that young people were save.

I got a virus disease from tourists returning from the mediterran in my main growing phase. As a result the growing of my legs was slowed, 'just' 192cm. I say just because ny torso and arms are designed for 205cm. Classmates madee a joke and called me monkey. I was nice in swimming however or as a handball goalie. But when covid came I told my family to don't believe that it would be easy for kids. None of us had it yet and we all have fourth immunisation.

People say that noone knows longtime problems with mrna immunisations. I say the same with longtime covid andi fear the second more.

im in same boat Chattiu,s fourth immunisation here, and havent got it yet but everyone else i know has gotten it

:blink:

gogo

Wife says if you recover to 99% of your former abilities this is not enough for sport stars, singers, ... If they were one in a million. Now they suddenly are very close to normal people after an infection. The only advantage they have is training discipline and experience.

We have way more cases of diseases spread by ticks than pre-covid. Town people tried to do some walks in forests for recreation while lockdown  and were not used to search for ticks. We have big magnifying mirrors in the bath just for this. 

Sorry for late response; I've been doing a lot of reading and experimenting. I wasn't even fully sure that this was a result of Covid at first. During Covid, I couldn't smell or taste anything, then it seemed that everything returned to normal after it passed. It wasn't until April that I noticed that my taste and smell had been altered. At first, I just thought that it was due to tobacco cessation or the fact that part of my enamel had fallen off one of my teeth recently. Since then, I've come to the realization that it's not that everything tastes and smells like vegetable oil, it's that I can't taste and smell.... I guess you could call it.... in layers? Like, if I have sour cream and onion potato chips, sometimes I can only taste the sour cream, other times I can only taste the onion, other times I can only taste the vegetable oil that they were cooked in. I've tried a bunch of different stuff, and I can't tell you what does/doesn't work because every day is different. This crap really panicked me at first, and then I thought "you know what? Just one day at a time, it'll return, just take it day by day". It could be far worse. Some folks I know didn't even make it through Covid, and they were a lot younger than me (not that 42 is old). Some folks made it, but racked up hella medical bills, while I made it through with just fever medicine and a lot of binge-watching iZombie. All my brother can detect is a coppery, blood type of smell and taste. My wife's coworker can detect a fecal matter type of smell. Now that would suck. Can you imagine? When you brush your teeth, fecal matter. First cup of coffee in the morning; fecal matter.