How did you get your game/forum name?

I got mine when I started playing Diablo 2. My parents bought it for me as a Christmas present when I was 17 and when time came to create an account, my first reaction was to ask my mother, who happened to be walking by, for suggestions. She said "Lucalain", and I thought it was nice, so I took it. After three years of playing Diablo 2 every night and weekend (even though I didn't even want the game at first), and moving on to other games, I kept the name. It happens to be the part of my real name that comes before my first name. I don't know how that makes sense, but that's how it is.

Mine was born out of my all time fave game, (here I go again!). Tron 2.0 FTW! :P When I first started playing it in August of 2003 I went through a few different names while I was trying to figure out a nice constant name. Eventually I decided on Schot because the game was all about "being a good shot" or having good aim in order to hit your opponent. An fps game with a big twist. :woot:

I thought your name was pronounced "scot".

I think it's quite obvious that cyclops is my favorite X-men character thus my ingame and forum name. I also wear glasses in RL.

Didn't you have another name before?

Edited by Lucalain

That was a pretty cool story Lucalain..I'd always thought that your name was a kind of Mario association... lol, guess it was because of the avatar you used to use way back when.

Dang Knuckles... do you remember playing with me? I think I remember a sesson or two when I played with someone named Rockdog... do you remember that?

lol, Schot I remember you trying to find a name... man, you were nuts about Tron for awhile...it seemed like that was all you could play. It's too bad it didn't catch... pretty competitive as I remember it.

Genenut, you really took me by surprise here... I never knew you were so into genealogy... I was wanting to really find out more about my family line as well..but it just seemed so complicated... especially as most of my family is from Sril Lanka... and records aren't kept very well... I'm very intrigued by this...maybe you should make a thread?

lol, Scleameth... I was always wondering where your name came from... heh, always thought it was Irish or something ^^

:P

gogo

Gogo I never had Rockdog as an in-game name....just on the SIF. I used to post in the DE forum all the time back then, though all of those posts seem to have been purged. But I remember you from waaaaaay back...always playing a seraphim :P You and KOTR always going on about how great HC was in the forums. Convinced me to stop playing SP and try on-line and well, never looked back I guess.

I still remember the first party I was in a mere 5 minutes after going on-line the first time. Larry, Boss429 and Paladin Storm. I followed Larry and promptly died in the Orc Cave, the 1st of many deaths in HC :woot:

I also wear glasses in RL.

is that to stop you from blasting people with your optic beams? :P

@ locutus: hey quiet that's a secret!! :)

@ lucalain: you are quite correct. my original forum name is SIF was "jun" before I changed it to cyclops because cyclops was my ingame name

Genenut - Genealogy Nut.... I maintain (though not as often as I should since 2nd child arrived) 2 different genealogy websites and I belong to a national genealogy related group.

That is pretty cool. I was pretty hot to find my roots for awhile there--one of my cousins took some genealogy courses and maintains the family history.

I had a freeware family tree package and had a pretty detailed tree for the wife and myself. My cousin's information goes back to the 1800's

In RL my "nickname" is Mommy ... *lol* ... I get called that alot... of course its usually being yelled by a minor at the top of his lungs and while holding a disputed toy or injured limb (with the other one holding what injured the limb)....

Pretty close to my real nick...."Daddyabbyjusthitme."

I got my username from a Hole's song "dicknail" link to which I should have/had in my signature. Back then I was a depressed teenager listening to ... druggies. It was depicting very very vividly an awful character so I decided to pick it up for myself :drinks:

In the beginning I was using Black Flash, but that was only for a year or two. Now I am kinda switching to Flying Smurf (or Le Schtroumpf Volant) to express my happiness with life (and myself). I guess for most of you the origin of that username are obvious :viking:

• 2 weeks later...

EvilMale wasn't always the gamer tag I go by for in game or posting on the forums For along time It was FireStorm. but it became too popular with people and others started using it for account names and well I hated trying to figure out how many people had the name so I started using my email addy at the time that Amanda (Vampie) Gave me she said I was an EvilMale and I liked so it stuck. but that wasnt the 1st time I had heard that either I had my soldiers and me Evil and some other choice phrases

Mine is pretty simply part of my last name (what everyone in RL calls me) and adding "man". Originally I went by Iceman - but my god everyone uses Iceman nowadays so I had to change it. When runescape first came out I had an account (Griff Iceman) but I wanted to remake a pure account and needed a name so I came up with something as lame as The Griffman.... dropped "the" and kept griffman. When I originally made my account on the SIF I wasn't griffman - and I never planned on being griffman for Sacred at all... see Sacred was reeaaaallly confusing when you first sign up. I think it's been mentioned, but I had no idea it would show all the time... it's not like it was on diablo where it rarely showed... If I would have known what it was going to be I would have gone with something along the lines of "mindless ____" because that's what I had done with Diablo...

Hmm, it seems I haven't posted in either of the too threads, though I know I was certain I posted this before, guess it was on the SIF.

When I was a kid I really liked the Indiana Jones movies and games. And so one day 8 years ago (I was 13 back then, though that's just a coincidence) I was creating my first e-mail account and somehow ended with dr_indy13, dr_indy being Indiana Jones related and 13 being my lucky number. :badbad:

As time passed by interest in Indiana Jones began to wane and the nick kinda lost it's meaning eventually, at which point I dropped the dr_ part. Now whenever Indy13 is taken, or if I feel like it, I use DarkIndy13 as well as an alternative.

Since this is my first post in here, I guess this is an as appropriate place as any. I have tried to use "Spock" or some derivative since 1966-67. STTOS was just out and I was on an Aircraft Carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin. I had just learned my Grandmother had died, I found out the girl I had thought I was going to marry because she had had a baby had gotten pregnant from someone else, I had also just learned a friend of mine from the previous cruise had died in-country. A lot of the planes we were sending in on strikes weren't coming back and I just felt totally down. I was standing on the fantail looking out at the phosphorescent wake of the carrier thinking how peaceful it looked and how I wouldn't have to worry about any more problems if I just ended it all right then.

For some reason I thought of this new SciFi show that was even now just being shown onboard and one particular character. Once I thought to myself, "What would Spock do?" nothing was ever the same again. Since, I have tried to run my life with as much logic and dispassion as Spock. I haven't always succeeded but it is always in the back of my mind ... using the character name as a Username helps remind me of my origins. icon_vulcan.gif

[Added]

Hmm. I tried to resize my current avatar to expand it to 120px but the width is wrong. It should be 77 px, not 120 ... is there anyone here who can fix that?

Edited by Spock
Indy, in memory to your old nic's namesake...consider adding a smart looking fedorah to the current avatar?

Very snazzy

*runs off*

:4rofl:

gogo

*smacks the french maid*

This name I made up somewhere around 1998, phonetically combining two other words, Ankh (Egyptian symbol of life/immortality) and Inconnu (French for obscured or hidden)... hence, Ankhanu. I'd been using it on an off since then until I started playing ogame and my primary nick was already taken... then everyone here and on the important IRC channels knew me as Ankhanu rather than my old name, and I've stuck with it.

My former primary nick was used since about 1995 and still gets used now, Sluagh. I took it from the White Wolf RPG, Changeling the Dreaming... they're a secretive faerie race that live in shadows and cannot speak above a whisper... The word itself means "the people" or "the host" in Scottish Gaelic, and also related to a spirit or faerie in Scottish lore that moved with the wind, howling along, stealing up the souls of those who had just died.

So there ya have it. :P